:sweep
Not a bad way to start June.

Marqhead
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
:bandance::bandance::gulp:

Title says it all.

aryzner
Can we just play the Red Sox all year long? I'm kind of serious about that request.

PeteWard
So who wants to blow the team up now?

KenBerryGrab
Another Lillybomb included with the price of admission!

DumpJerry
06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Can we just play the Red Sox all year long? I'm kind of serious about that request.
We can play the Indians, too.

cheezheadsoxfan

I agree, we always seem to play them well.

Nice, nice, nice!:bliss:

Marqhead

Easy there Tiger, the team is still 4 games under and many people are still struggling. Great finish to the road trip though, let's see what the guys can do with some home cooking.

guillensdisciple
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
4 games under. 4 games back in the wild card.

Toronto wins we're 7.5 back in the division.

Come on Jays.

JermaineDye05
06-01-2011, 04:31 PM
And as if this couldn't get better, I get a fantasy win from Gavin

:gulp:

soltrain21
06-01-2011, 04:33 PM
4 games under. 4 games back in the wild card.

Toronto wins we're 7.5 back in the division.

Come on Jays.

No reason to be looking at that stuff right now. Sox just have to keep winning and pull their head above water.

PeteWard
Easy there Tiger, the team is still 4 games under and many people are still struggling. Great finish to the road trip though, let's see what the guys can do with some home cooking.l

Don't call me "Tiger -- that is offensive and patronizing and again do you want to blow the team up or not?

voodoochile
Sox on a roll busting out the brooms in Beantown!

That... will... do...

Rant on Ozzie... Rant on...

8 games back (pending) 4 games under (not pending)

:sweep:

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

ShooterMcGavin
06-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Lillibridge and Konerko looked good at the plate.

Floyd was good enough.

Santos and Sale had quiet innings.

White Sox Winner!

doublem23
Easy there Tiger, the team is still 4 games under and many people are still struggling. Great finish to the road trip though, let's see what the guys can do with some home cooking.

Rule I of the internet is the only way to counter an extreme overreaction is with an equally extreme overreaction.

PRINT THOSE WORLD SERIES TICKETS, JR. :bandance:

veeter
I'll believe in this team when they get to .500 and are consistent. But when they play like their payroll says they should, they're very, very good. Contributions from a lot of guys today. Nice team win. Adam Dunn though...yuck.

FielderJones

:D:

Three wins in Boston, double digit hits in all of them, you bet I'm going to be chirpy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmBmD3s-R9s) today. Bring it on, Walkerballers.

voodoochile
l

Don't call me "Tiger -- that is offensive and patronizing and again do you want to blow the team up or not?

Let's all just step back from the ledge here. The Sox just swept Boston. We can be happy as fans together without having to say I told you so...

ShooterMcGavin
06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
And as if this couldn't get better, I get a fantasy win from Gavin

:gulp:

Tell me more about your fantasy team plz

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Let's all just step back from the ledge here. The Sox just swept Boston. We can be happy as fans together without having to say I told you so...

Who is on the ledge? Just celebrating a sweep in FENWAY! :bandance:

kufram
06-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I think a few things are coming together.. Alexei for one, Lillibridge has grown up into a fine young man suddenly, Sale has looked better. There is much to improve on but maybe the worst is over.

ChiSoxGal85
I love these wins, scratching and clawing back from an early deficit instead of rolling over and playing dead. Awesome!

Lots of clutch hitting! Alexei is ridiculous at the plate. Paulie doesn't care if he's DHing or playing 1st, he just hits the damn ball. LilliBEAST (enough said). Gavin fought back and kept them in the game even after a rough start. Sale and Santos shut 'em down.

Now, if only Dunn and Rios can get their act together...

Take it to the Tigers now! :wooty:

doublem23
I think a few things are coming together.. Alexei for one, Lillibridge has grown up into a fine young man suddenly, Sale has looked better. There is much to improve on but maybe the worst is over.

God I hope it is. There's no way they could play any worse than they did in April, could they?

spawn
06-01-2011, 04:39 PM
2 straight 3-game sweeps in Fenway. Can the Sox play the rest of their home games there?

voodoochile
God I hope it is. There's no way they could play any worse than they did in April, could they?

Let's not find out. Rip off a 10 game over month of June and lets get to the ASG in position to contend in the second half.

Crestani
Adam Dunn OBP .329. SLG. 326 HR's 5

Brent Lillibeast OBP .387 SLG .662 HR's 6

Marqhead
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Really really don't want to spend all summer pouting like my Twins fan friends. Please tell me you're turning a corner Sox.

It'sADunnBomb
I am so pissed at the moment. I thought this was a four game series, meaning todays game would be at like 5 or 6. I missed the entire damn game. Was it on CSN, I have to watch the replay.

thomas35forever
Can we play at Fenway 162 times?:bandance::bandance::bandance:

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Great win. Baseball is a crazy game, and it's maddening to look at how the Sox pummelled the vaunted Red Sox and see that they dropped three games to the friggin Blue Jays just beforehand. I laughed on Sunday when I heard a caller on the Score say the Sox had absolutely no chance of winning a single game in Boston. I laughed harder when the host (Connor McKnight) forcasted doom and added that the Red Sox were two games up in first and he would be "shocked" if they fell out of first place at any point this year.:?: Yes, he would be shocked if the Red Sox somehow lost a two game lead in May. And yet, here they are, looking at being two games behind the Yankees. I am amazed at how many people fail to grasp the nature of baseball. It's a long season of ups and downs. Hopefully we get a bunch more games like this.

spawn
06-01-2011, 04:41 PM

It could definitely be worse. Just look at Minnesota. Boy, this has been a strange season. Lillibeast has traded places with Dunn, Minnesota has the worst record in the AL, the Indians are in first. Talk about Bizarro World.

BringHomeDaBacon
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
It's so nice to see them finish off a series.

More Lillibridge and less Pierre please.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Really really don't want to spend all summer pouting like my Twins fan friends. Please tell me you're turning a corner Sox.

A sweep in Fenway, hell yes -- i would think so but they have to take at least two from Detroit now!

johnnyg83
06-01-2011, 04:43 PM
TCM is 15 for 32 over the last 7 games. Mercy.

Noneck
Can the Sox play the rest of their home games there?

I dont want to go to that dump to watch games.

kittle42

Overreaction goes both ways. This team is so inconsistent thus far, they could come home and play like crap against Detroit. I continue to reserve judgment.

That being said, great series, and .500 is an acceptable trip.

kufram

No, I really don't think that anybody could play any worse than that. But you never know, if they can turn this corner (and the schedule is more friendly) and win some home series then anything is possible. What doesn't kill a team makes it better.

thomas35forever
It could definitely be worse. Just look at Minnesota. Boy, this has been a strange season. Lillibeast has traded places with Dunn, Minnesota has the worst record in the AL, the Indians are in first. Talk about Bizarro World.
Try the worst record in all of baseball.

October26
Our Sox sweep the FauxSox!

HAPPINESS! :wooty:

Lillibridge In, Sox Win!:bandance:

Chez
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Very encouraged by Sale's third consecutive strong outing. We need at least three reliable arms in the pen. Now if Thornton can turn it around . . .

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 04:44 PM
God I hope it is. There's no way they could play any worse than they did in April, could they?Don't look now, Beckham is hitting .241.

Soxfest
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Great Sweep now let's win some home games!:D:

sox1970
06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Good stuff. This team could be real fun to watch the next five months if Dunn and Rios play to their career averages the rest of the way.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Try the worst record in all of baseball.I still think those ****ers are going to come back and win the division.:angry:

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Great win. Baseball is a crazy game, and it's maddening to look at how the Sox pummelled the vaunted Red Sox and see that they dropped three games to the friggin Blue Jays just beforehand. I laughed on Sunday when I heard a caller on the Score say the Sox had absolutely no chance of winning a single game in Boston. I laughed harder when the host (Connor McKnight) forcasted doom and added that the Red Sox were two games up in first and he would be "shocked" if they fell out of first place at any point this year.:?: Yes, he would be shocked if the Red Sox somehow lost a two game lead in May. And yet, here they are, looking at being two games behind the Yankees. I am amazed at how many people fail to grasp the nature of baseball. It's a long season of ups and downs. Hopefully we get a bunch more games like this.

Yes and the worst of it is how many Sox fans called it a day around May 1.
Pathetic.

DumpJerry
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Have you seen the Cubs lately?

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Overreaction goes both ways. This team is so inconsistent thus far, they could come home and play like crap against Detroit. I continue to reserve judgment.

That being said, great series, and .500 is an acceptable trip.

I am just trying to enjoy this. Sorry for that.:(:

kufram
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Good stuff. This team could be real fun to watch the next five months if Dunn and Rios play to their career averages the rest of the way.

There is every reason to hope that they are at their lifetime averages at the end of the year but that would mean both them hitting seriously OVER those numbers for a period of time. That would be a sight worth seeing if everyone else keeps doing what they are doing. Too optimistic?

kittle42
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
I am just trying to enjoy this. Sorry for that.:(:

Enjoying it doesn't have to equate to ripping on people who were and still are skeptical about this team, same as a loss doesn't mean skeptics need to rip on people and use terms like "Pollyannas."

We enjoy the wins, too - why must it always be black or white, "I'm right or you're right" thinking?

Terrible.

sox1970
06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
There is every reason to hope that they are at their lifetime averages at the end of the year but that would mean both them hitting seriously OVER those numbers for a period of time. That would be a sight worth seeing if everyone else keeps doing what they are doing. Too optimistic?

I'm not asking them to play over that to bring it to their season averages. I'll take their career averages prorated over the last four months of the regular season.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Enjoying it doesn't have to equate to ripping on people who were and still are skeptical about this team.

We enjoy the wins, too - why must it always be black or white, "I'm right or you're right" thinking?

Terrible.

What ripping? And the irony of this ridiculous comment: asking why must it be black or white and then saying "terrible". :rolleyes:

kittle42
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
And the irony of this ridiculous comment: asking why must it be black or white and then saying "terrible". :rolleyes:

No irony there. It *is* terrible that people constantly think in black or white terms and seem incapable of taking a middle ground position, or understanding shades of gray.

spawn
06-01-2011, 04:57 PM
If you guys want to continue to bitch, please take somewhere else. You're ruining what should be a feel good post game thread.

asindc
06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
If you had told me that the Sox must go 5-5 on this road trip but I could pick the games they won, these three would have definitely been among them. The fellas are looking like a professional baseball team now. First 3-game sweep of the season!:bandance::bandance::bandance: Let's go for a second consecutive sweep!

Lip Man 1
06-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Well played series. Back to four under. Let's see what they can do at home now that the road trips are out of the way.

IF they play well at home, they can get back to the .500 mark. That's where it all starts.

Lip

PeteWard
No irony there. It *is* terrible that people constantly think in black or white terms and seem incapable of taking a middle ground position, or understanding shades of gray.

Ok great job Kittle. I give in. Gray is all. I am obviously wrong for celebrating a sweep at Fenway.

kittle42
If you guys want to continue to bitch, please take somewhere else. You're ruining what should be a feel good post game thread.

I'm actually looking forward to going to the park Friday night - so there's a good feeling!

SoxSpeed22
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
The Crushinator was all over everything in this series, maybe he should be the starting center fielder more often.
Games like this confuse me about this team, they can't do this more often?

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM

I agree. Thanks and not sure how this happened. Sweep Detroit! :bandance:

kittle42
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Ok great job Kittle. I give in. Gray is all. I am obviously wrong for celebrating a sweep at Fenway.

I'm damn happy with a sweep at Fenway...let's make it four in a row on Friday.

Also, hyperbole is another terrible way to argue. I would have PM'd you, but you don't appear to have PM capability. I'll stop before causing mods to split and roadhouse.

voodoochile
06-01-2011, 05:07 PM

If you really want this argument to end and not devolve into a spat feel free to STOP ESCALATING it and simply walk away.

Like it or not Kittle you are the one who took this up a notch after the guy YOU are ARGUING with apologized.

:rolleyes:

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm damn happy with a sweep at Fenway...let's make it four in a row on Friday.

Also, hyperbole is another terrible way to argue. I would have PM'd you, but you don't appear to have PM capability. I'll stop before causing mods to split and roadhouse.

Who knows about PM capability (I don't :redface:) , I am just glad that maybe the Sox have turned a corner and I know you are happy with the results in Boston too. :bandance:

hawkjt
This was a game I seriously gave the Sox no shot at coming back with their hapless looking at bats early vs Wakefield and with Gavin getting hammered. Gavin somehow battled back into a reasonably good groove and the Sox kept fighting Wakefield,got a couple of breaks with Gordo's ducksnort and Juan's ole act,and boom,right back in it.

One of the most positive deals in this game was that once they brought in normal pitchers,Sox hitting picked up. Now,at least,there is no real ''adjustment'' necessary going back to normal pitchers on the Tigers.
I think the dreaded 2-3 game slump after facing a knuckler should be mitigated.

Lillybeast is unconscious. Any other park and he has 3 homers in the last 2 games. His extra base hit ration of 50% is insane. Bat speed kicks butt over sheer strength anyday. His quick twitch bat is loaded.

Alexei is also in an unbelievable stretch,everything he hits is dropping in right now. Keep it going,Alexei.
Pk is a Fenway Killer...they must hate seeing him come into Boston. That bomb was massive in the 9th.
Gordo is getting hot,as predicted by that one WSI poster who said that they found something with his swing about 2 weeks back. If he had not gotten hurt in Toronto, I suspect the Sox get at least one more of those games.
Ramon Castro does a good job behind the plate...sure looked good compared to Saltomaccio.
No question that Chris Sale of last year is back. Sergio is nasty. Gavin has so much more composure than his first couple of years,it is impressive when he keeps battling after a start like that.

Now, here come the Tigers...time to go,Sox...lets roll!!!

JermaineDye05
We need to start playing well against teams not named the Indians in our division now.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
The thing I have noticed is how those little seeing eye hits are now getting through--instead of being fielded. I think this is key and things are starting to even out a bit.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
We need to start playing well against teams not named the Indians in our division now.

yes 2 or 3 against Detroit is essential.

JermaineDye05
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
The thing I have noticed is how those little seeing eye hits are now getting through--instead of being fielded. I think this is key and things are starting to even out a bit.

Our outfielders are catching the ball now too.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Our outfielders are catching the ball now too.

Dare we hope Juan plays up to the rest of his career on defense? :o: It would mean a lot.

asindc
06-01-2011, 05:25 PM
This was a game I seriously gave the Sox no shot at coming back with their hapless looking at bats early vs Wakefield and with Gavin getting hammered. Gavin somehow battled back into a reasonably good groove and the Sox kept fighting Wakefield,got a couple of breaks with Gordo's ducksnort and Juan's ole act,and boom,right back in it.

One of the most positive deals in this game was that once they brought in normal pitchers,Sox hitting picked up. Now,at least,there is no real ''adjustment'' necessary going back to normal pitchers on the Tigers.
I think the dreaded 2-3 game slump after facing a knuckler should be mitigated.

Lillybeast is unconscious. Any other park and he has 3 homers in the last 2 games. His extra base hit ration of 50% is insane. Bat speed kicks butt over sheer strength anyday. His quick twitch bat is loaded.

Alexei is also in an unbelievable stretch,everything he hits is dropping in right now. Keep it going,Alexei.
Pk is a Fenway Killer...they must hate seeing him come into Boston. That bomb was massive in the 9th.
Gordo is getting hot,as predicted by that one WSI poster who said that they found something with his swing about 2 weeks back. If he had not gotten hurt in Toronto, I suspect the Sox get at least one more of those games.
Ramon Castro does a good job behind the plate...sure looked good compared to Saltomaccio.
No question that Chris Sale of last year is back. Sergio is nasty. Gavin has so much more composure than his first couple of years,it is impressive when he keeps battling after a start like that.

Now, here come the Tigers...time to go,Sox...lets roll!!!

I thought about the same thing. The "adjustment" hopefully is a moot point now. Pauly's home run reminded me of game 3 of the ALDS in 2005.

miker
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
We swept the Carmines? You gotta be bleeping me!

Nice job White Sox.

doublem23
06-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I am so pissed at the moment. I thought this was a four game series, meaning todays game would be at like 5 or 6. I missed the entire damn game. Was it on CSN, I have to watch the replay.

Dah.

doublem23
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Have you seen the Cubs lately?

Funny story, turned on the Cubs game after the Sox won yesterday just in time to see Darwin Barney's 2-run double in the 8th that put the Cubs up 3-1. Turned the game off and watched Anchorman in bed, figuring they won. Woke up today to see Marmol imploded for 6 runs in the 9th.

Boy, I don't miss those days.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:32 PM
We swept the Carmines? You gotta be bleeping me!

Nice job White Sox.

I only hoped for a 5-5 road trip against three very tough teams.After the sox dumped three straight in Toronto, I expected 3-7. This sweep in Boston is as beautiful as it was unexpected. 5-5 on the road vs tex, tor and bos? I love it. But it means nothing if they can't pile on when Det comes to town. Big, big series coming up.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I thought about the same thing. The "adjustment" hopefully is a moot point now. Pauly's home run reminded me of game 3 of the ALDS in 2005.

And Lilli's HR reminded me of Pauly! Man he smoked that.:cool:

LongLiveFisk
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Well, I missed the game today but am thrilled to hear the outcome. Maybe I will pick up some tickets for the upcoming homestand because I have really missed baseball, if you know what I mean. :D:

Nice job, White Sox!! :gulp:

Hitmen77
06-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Great sweep to make this a 5-5 road trip. Even with the big hole the Sox have dug themselves into, I can't complain about being .500 on this tough trip.

They're just going to have to keep plugging away and chip away at that deficit slowly but surely.

Oh, any time Dunn and Rios (who didn't start today) want to start contributing to this turnaround is fine with me. Those two guys alone make up about 1/5 of the Sox entire payroll. :o:

Knowing the typical White Sox pattern of recent years, let's see how they
play in late July-August after they go on their usual June roll.

Irishsox1
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Nice to see Alex Rios out of the game. Hopefully he'll stay on the bench for a while. You can't afford to keep playing him and Dunn the same days anyone. Someone is going to have to sit until one of them starts hitting.

Also, Hawks "16,000 square foot home in Scottsdale" Konerko call has got to go. I don't want to be reminded that Konerko lives in some Arizona mansion every time he comes up with a big hit. And for the record I'm not bitter, yes I live above a bowling alley and ironically below another bowling alley but it's tacky but it's Hawk and he's tacky but still, it's a lame call.

gobears1987
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
fire Ozzie!

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 05:47 PM
That was the greatest game I have ever had the pleasure of watching solely on Gamecast. I'm glad they battled back after getting down early.

Sweeping the Red Sox is one of the best things that the Sox can do.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Also, Hawks "16,000 square foot home in Scottsdale" Konerko call has got to go. I don't want to be reminded that Konerko lives in some Arizona mansion every time he comes up with a big hit. And for the record I'm not bitter, yes I live above a bowling alley and ironically below another bowling alley but it's tacky but it's Hawk and he's tacky but still, it's a lame call.

Thank you. Konerko earns his money--and is as low key and cool as a star can be== but do we really need such jock/money worship from the announcer? Once was not embarrassing enough I guess so Harrelson has to say it twice.

The hawk rule.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM
That was the greatest game I have ever had the pleasure of watching solely on Gamecast. I'm glad they battled back after getting down early.

Sweeping the Red Sox is one of the best things that the Sox can do.

Sweeping Detroit this weekend is more important, yet I love beating Boston!!!

TDog
06-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Such an overreaction will return the next time the White Sox lose a couple of games.

The Sox being below .500 for the season does not make the team mediocre. The dynamics of the team are different now than during the extended April slump. During the first two weeks of the season, the problem was the bullpen pitching into weak outfield defense. With Peavy coming back, the starters seem more consistent and have been going deeper into games, although Danks still hasn't won. The bullpen still isn't deep enough, but it's being managed better. Santos has emerged into a very good closer. In Boston I was particularly impressed with Thornton and Sale.

The Sox had a winning May after getting off to a 1-4 start. Going 5-5 on a roadtrip to Texas, Toronto and Boston isn't so bad. Today, Floyd looked like he wasn't going to give the White Sox a chance to win. He barely got out of the first inning without being scored on. After two, the Red Sox had three runs on seven hits. After Cooper went to the mound, he started getting everyone out, until giving up a solo home run in the sixth. Incredibly, the Red Sox had seven hits with one out in the third but only managed 10 for the game.

Really, though, it was a tale of two games. Wakefield had a 3-0 lead, but the Sox in the middle three innings got to his knuckleball. You're left with a three-inning game with the Red Sox bringing in their hard-throwers after the White Sox hitters had to adjust to the knuckleball. In 1972, I always loved it when Chuck Tanner would bring in Gossage or Forster late in the game after hitters had to adjust to Wilbur Wood. Fortunately today Ramirez and Konerko, who hit the knuckleballer, adjusted to the hard stuff, accounting for three runs (with help from a Quentin single) while Floyd, Sale and Santos shut down the Red Sox.

The White Sox still haven't gone on a tear. Their April slide still has them well behind the Indians, although not so far behind the Tigers. But the way they have been playing overall on the last two roadtrips and the last homestand, there is no reason to give up on the division.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Did Hawk invent another Hawkism or something? Did he like say that Konerko hit his homer all the way to his 16K sq ft. house or something?

kevingrt
06-01-2011, 05:58 PM
fire Ozzie!

I mean he sucked in April and early May but now Ozzie is on fire in the dugout.

It'sADunnBomb
06-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Did Hawk invent another Hawkism or something? Did he like say that Konerko hit his homer all the way to his 16K sq ft. house or something?
He sort of did, when Konerko hit an rbi single in the 7th and 2run homer in the 9th Hawk said, now that's how you get a 16,000 square foot home in Arizona, or something like that.

SI1020
06-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Very encouraged by Sale's third consecutive strong outing. We need at least three reliable arms in the pen. Now if Thornton can turn it around . . . I really like Sale, think he has great potential, which I'd like to see him realize in a White Sox uniform.

JB98
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
The Sox are playing much better, and they are also starting to catch a few more breaks. More of their grounders are getting through holes for base hits. Boston had Pierre caught off base (what new?) in that fifth inning, and somehow didn't get the out. Sox cashed that in for two runs and tied the game. Youkilis crushed a ball off Sale in the eighth, but it died in Lillibridge's glove 410 feet from home plate.

It's nice when it's all going your way. Great series.

palehozenychicty
06-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Good win today. They looked toast early, then fought back to get it.

People here don't have a lot of respect for Toronto, but they're a solid, athletic team on the rise. If they had gotten Saturday's game, people wouldn't have been so distraught.

Anyhow, .500 is a solid trip in tough cities. They must improve at home. Period. A playoff team doesn't lose at home.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:10 PM

No, basically he was saying if you hit like Pauly you can have a big house in Scotsdale like Pauly. Vulgar, what?

LITTLE NELL
06-01-2011, 06:13 PM
How I love beating the Carmines.
A few of the guys in my golf group are from Boston, they are going to get it from me Thursday morning.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
The Sox are playing much better, and they are also starting to catch a few more breaks. More of their grounders are getting through holes for base hits. Boston had Pierre caught off base (what new?) in that fifth inning, and somehow didn't get the out. Sox cashed that in for two runs and tied the game. Youkilis crushed a ball off Sale in the eighth, but it died in Lillibridge's glove 410 feet from home plate.

It's nice when it's all going your way. Great series.

Yep it's all about breaks sometimes . I was at two of the losses to balt. and at the frozen 39 degree Liriano no hitter. The Sox were tatooing the ball-much harder than their opponents -- but right at the OFs.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
How I love beating the Carmines.
A few of the guys in my golf group are from Boston, they are going to get it from me Thursday morning.

Me too. Almost as much as NY.And the Sox have owned them the past two years. How strange. I hope we can start on the same trend again vs det and crush them like we used to.

SI1020
06-01-2011, 06:18 PM
No, basically he was saying if you hit like Pauly you can have a big house in Scotsdale like Pauly. Vulgar, what? He's been saying it regularly since the season began. I've always been a Hawk supporter, but I wish he would tone some things down a bit.

JB98
06-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Yep it's all about breaks sometimes . I was at two of the losses to balt. and at the frozen 39 degree Liriano no hitter. The Sox were tatooing the ball-much harder than their opponents -- but right at the OFs.

Right now, everything that Alexei Ramirez touches turns to gold. He hits it hard, it's a base hit. He hits it soft, it's a base hit.

Our BABIP has to be coming back toward the mean. I haven't checked the numbers, but my eyes tell me that has to be the case.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:20 PM
He's been saying it regularly since the season began. I've always been a Hawk supporter, but I wish he would tone some things down a bit.

Oh, then it is uglier than thought. I thought it started today. Where have you gone Bob Waller?

Noneck
06-01-2011, 06:23 PM
After Cooper went to the mound, he started getting everyone out, until giving up a solo home run in the sixth.

In 1972, I always loved it when Chuck Tanner would bring in Gossage or Forster late in the game after hitters had to adjust to Wilbur Wood.

Copper wasnt there today it was Nieves who went to the mound.

I also liked when Wilhelm came in to throw his amazing medicine show after Peters or Pizarro.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Right now, everything that Alexei Ramirez touches turns to gold. He hits it hard, it's a base hit. He hits it soft, it's a base hit.

Our BABIP has to be coming back toward the mean. I haven't checked the numbers, but my eyes tell me that has to be the case.

Even when they won-- at the NY game I was at that Lillibridge saved, Gavin gave up 2 solo shots and was otherwise un-hittable and the Sox were crushing the ball all game, only scoring one until Konerko's 8th inning homer, because kept they hitting shots right at the defense. Yet yankee fans were giving me **** after Lillibridge's catches--"You're ****ing lucky..."

Not putting this rotten start down to bad luck--the Sox have sucked-- and badly. But man, I think they are more than due for some bounces.

Hitmen77
06-01-2011, 06:36 PM
fire Ozzie!

:rolleyes: Please. I hope people aren't changing their mind out Ozzie (one way or the other) after 3 wins (or losses) in a row. If anyone here on WSI is, please feel free to point them out.

Whatever happened to those "Fire Walker" posts that you made after the first 2 games of the season. They were missing for some reason for many weeks after that.

I think we've already discussed overreaction in this thread:

Enjoying it doesn't have to equate to ripping on people who were and still are skeptical about this team, same as a loss doesn't mean skeptics need to rip on people and use terms like "Pollyannas."

Terrible.

tstrike2000
06-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I think we've already discussed overreaction in this thread.

Nice series sweep...we really needed this. Ozzie and Walker are the greatest coaches in the history of organized baseball.

PeteWard
06-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Nice series sweep...we really needed this. Ozzie and Walker are the greatest coaches in the history of organized baseball.

Glad you enjoyed the sweep. :cool:

doublem23
06-01-2011, 06:51 PM
He sort of did, when Konerko hit an rbi single in the 7th and 2run homer in the 9th Hawk said, now that's how you get a 16,000 square foot home in Arizona, or something like that.

He's dropped that nugget more than a few times this season.

TDog
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Copper wasnt there today it was Nieves who went to the mound.

I also liked when Wilhelm came in to throw his amazing medicine show after Peters or Pizarro.

I only saw bits and pieces of the game updates and break-ins. MLB said Cooper went to the mound. Sometimes even sources you trust get it wrong. I stand corrected, but the mistake doesn't change my point (although I wrongly suspected that Cooper might have seen something in Floyd's delivery -- good thing I didn't gush over his genius).

Wilhelm, of course, taught Wilbur Wood how to throw the knuckleball. I only remember seeing Wilhelm pitch for the Sox in 1968. But I have great respect for Wilhelm, the only Hall of Famer who is there for his work in relief (narrow the field to five) who has also pitched a no-hitter (narrow the field to two) and also hit a home run in his first major league at bat.

tstrike2000
06-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Glad you enjoyed the sweep. :cool:

The team played well, caught some breaks, and they deserved it. Looks like our lefties out of the bullpen may be coming out of their slumber. If Rios and Dunn can actually start hitting, this team could be dangerous. In the meantime, you have to keep plugging Lillibridge in there any way possible.

Noneck
06-01-2011, 07:03 PM
I stand corrected, but the mistake doesn't change my point (although I wrongly suspected that Cooper might have seen something in Floyd's delivery -- good thing I didn't gush over his genius).

I didnt post that to correct you, just to inform you of something you would not have known unless you watched the game.

You missed a real show with Doc Wilhelm. I was able to see both him and Woody from seats behind home, Wilhelms knuckler was amazing. I'll never forget Mantle striking out against him while swinging and going to his knees.

TomBradley72
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh, then it is uglier than thought. I thought it started today. Where have you gone Bob Waller?

Bob Waller was awesome- I always wondered why he left after such a short stint.

Lip Man 1
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Tom:

The final day of the 1974 season Waller interviewed Chuck Tanner live on the pregame show. Waller had enough of Chuck's "everything's great" approach and grilled him on why if things were going so well the Sox were terrible the past two seasons? (73 - 74) Tanner got madder and madder and literally walked off in the middle of the interview.

Waller continued the "interview" by himself basically asking the questions he was going to ask Tanner then giving his opinion on why the team was bad.

Needless to say ownership was not amused.

Waller I thought was a good broadcaster, he also did the Reds I think before Al Michaels. In fact Michaels may have taken Waller's place when Bob got the Sox job.

Don't know much about what happened to Bob save for he worked at ESPN for awhile and was the subject of one of the classic on-air screw up's.

During Sportscenter the other anchor read his story and the camera went to Waller for the next story. Bob was sleeping on the set. No ****!

Then he woke up suddenly, I assume because the producer was screaming into his air piece said something like "hello" and went on with the next story.

Lip

cards press box
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Lillibridge and Konerko looked good at the plate.

Floyd was good enough.

Santos and Sale had quiet innings.

White Sox Winner!

Yes, it was!
:winner

Bob Waller was awesome- I always wondered why he left after such a short stint.

As this link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp) shows, Bob Waller was Harry Caray's sidekick in 1973-1974. Waller was O.K., better than some of the other sidekicks that Harry had in that era. I must admit that I did get a kick out of Ralph Faucher, the WTAQ station manager/Harry Caray sidekick on the Sox radio broadcasts from that little suburban radio station in LaGrange, Illinois in 1971-1972. After the Sox landed on little WTAQ, all the local know-it-alls declared that Chicago was a Cubs town and that the Sox had no place here. They were wrong.

manders_01
06-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I, unfortunately, missed the game as I was slightly frantic around noon today and was not remembering that today's game was a day game. Realized my error as I was walking home from my meeting and was very happy to see the outcome! :bandance:

I was thinking to myself yesterday...if Alexei hits better in warm weather, it must have been damn hot at the stadiums the past few weeks! :wink:

russ99
06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Sweep!

Bullpen and hitting is coming together, keep it going vs. Tigers.

soltrain21
06-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Sweep!

Bullpen and hitting is coming together, keep it going vs. Tigers.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/20048442yu.gif

SOXSINCE'70
06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish he would tone some things down a bit.

If I nevr hear his one again, it won't be too soon for me:

:hawk
"Don't stop now, boys".:puking:

guillensdisciple
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
The bright spots for me are Sale and Beckham.

I love Sale and think that his early season struggles were anomalies.

Beckham, on the other hand, I definitely gave up on and if he becomes the hitter so many destined him to be I Will be happy to eat as many servings of crow as he or wsi gives me. He is a pivotal piece to this offense.

Him and Dunn that is. I can take Rios sucking ass, that guy is rough.,

TomBradley72
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Sale, Crain and Santos are solidifying the bullpen- if Thornton can completely settle down that looks pretty good- w/6 decent starters- that would mean 10 solid arms on the staff.

Morel had a decent May, Beckham rebounding, AJ had a good may- PK and Alexei off to great starts- infield looks OK.

Pierre, Quentin and Lillibridge are producing- we need either Rios or Dunn to return to "normal" for the run to be sustainable over the long term.

It's all just talk until we get back to .500-

ChiSoxGirl
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Adam Dunn OBP .329. SLG. 326 HR's 5

Brent Lillibeast OBP .387 SLG .662 HR's 6

:thud:

Great win this afternoon after being down 3-0 early. Admittedly, I figured the Sox would lose today, since they were losing by the second inning. I'm glad I was wrong! Don't look now, but clutch hitting is beginning to make an appearance in the Sox lineup.... If they win the series against Detroit this weekend, things will become interesting once again.

all*star quentin
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm watching the Encore now. It's good to know in advance the outcome of this game. :tongue:

LongLiveFisk
06-01-2011, 09:38 PM
I'm watching the Encore now. It's good to know in advance the outcome of this game. :tongue:

Thanks for letting me know because I missed the game and just tuned into the encore in time to see Lillibridge's homer. Damn, that was a bomb! Looked like it may have taken out someone's windshield parked across the street. :tongue:

all*star quentin
06-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for letting me know because I missed the game and just tuned into the encore in time to see Lillibridge's homer. Damn, that was a bomb! Looked like it may have taken out someone's windshield parked across the street. :tongue:

The best is yet to come :)

EDIT: after big papi's home run

TomBradley72
06-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Tom:

The final day of the 1974 season Waller interviewed Chuck Tanner live on the pregame show. Waller had enough of Chuck's "everything's great" approach and grilled him on why if things were going so well the Sox were terrible the past two seasons? (73 - 74) Tanner got madder and madder and literally walked off in the middle of the interview.

Waller continued the "interview" by himself basically asking the questions he was going to ask Tanner then giving his opinion on why the team was bad.

Needless to say ownership was not amused.

Waller I thought was a good broadcaster, he also did the Reds I think before Al Michaels. In fact Michaels may have taken Waller's place when Bob got the Sox job.

Don't know much about what happened to Bob save for he worked at ESPN for awhile and was the subject of one of the classic on-air screw up's.

During Sportscenter the other anchor read his story and the camera went to Waller for the next story. Bob was sleeping on the set. No ****!

Then he woke up suddenly, I assume because the producer was screaming into his air piece said something like "hello" and went on with the next story.

Lip

That '74 team was interesting- 6 players in double digit homers (Allen, Melton, Henderson, Herrmann, Downing, Orta), 2 twenty game winners (Wood, Kaat) three hard throwing young guys (Forster, Gossage, Johnson)- 4th in the AL in runss scored as a team, 4th in team fielding- but 2nd to last in team pitching.

TDog
06-02-2011, 02:35 AM
That '74 team was interesting- 6 players in double digit homers (Allen, Melton, Henderson, Herrmann, Downing, Orta), 2 twenty game winners (Wood, Kaat) three hard throwing young guys (Forster, Gossage, Johnson)- 4th in the AL in runss scored as a team, 4th in team fielding- but 2nd to last in team pitching.

They ended up the definition of a .500 team -- 80 wins, 80 losses and 3 ties. For much of the season, they went with a three-man rotation, Wood, Bahnsen and Kaat. Ron Santo played quite a bit of second base -- I was in the ballpark the Sunday afternoon of his inside-the-park homer.

But as futile as the season feels in retrospect, no one in the American West won more than 90 games, and the AL East was won with 91 wins. If the Sox hadn't traded Steve Stone for Ron Santo, maybe things would have been different. My arm hurts just thinking about that season.

PeteWard
06-02-2011, 06:21 AM
The team played well, caught some breaks, and they deserved it. Looks like our lefties out of the bullpen may be coming out of their slumber. If Rios and Dunn can actually start hitting, this team could be dangerous. In the meantime, you have to keep plugging Lillibridge in there any way possible.

Omar needs to play more as well.

Bucky F. Dent
06-02-2011, 06:49 AM
I don't think it is overstating it to say that the next three games against the Kittens are MONUMENTAL in terms of determining the Sox season.

doublem23
06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
That is overstating a 3-game series in June.

kufram
06-02-2011, 07:31 AM
I don't think it is overstating it to say that the next three games against the Kittens are MONUMENTAL in terms of determining the Sox season.

The trouble with thinking like that is that should we have a bad series then people start writing the season off again and it is the first week of June. We aren't in a great position but the team have shown that they are more than capable of pulling things together. A lot has to be sorted out but there is reason for hope.... but then there has always been reason for hope because only the Indians looked good. When you have good starting pitching you're halfway to a good season.

There is so much baseball to be played that literally anything can happen. That's what makes baseball a great sport. I hope we win series one game at a time. The thing we can't afford is another long losing streak. If we win the 3 game series that we have over the next few weeks we will be in a good position.

Fenway
06-02-2011, 08:44 AM
:whiner::whiner:

:whiteflag:

Fenway
06-02-2011, 09:15 AM
The only good thing about the last 3 games was on Monday I won the crew pool of what inning would Hawk mention Yaz ....:tongue:

BUT for the love of gawd he actually said Yaz was the most important player in Red Sox history :scratch::?:

http://graphics.boston.com/images/daily/08/williams_off_photo_2_2002.jpg

asindc
06-02-2011, 09:19 AM
The only good thing about the last 3 games was on Monday I won the crew pool of what inning would Hawk mention Yaz ....:tongue:

BUT for the love of gawd he actually said Yaz was the most important player in Red Sox history :scratch::?:

I think it could be argued that Babe Ruth was the most "important" player in Red Sox history, given 'No No Nanette' and all that. Ted Williams was undoubtedly the best.

Fenway
06-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I think it could be argued that Babe Ruth was the most "important" player in Red Sox history, given 'No No Nanette' and all that. Ted Williams was undoubtedly the best.

Oh him :tongue:

http://johnbatchelorshow.com/images/AAHG191_8x10~Babe-Ruth-Red-Sox-Posters.jpg

He did have a point about there should be a statue of Yaz however

tstrike2000
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
:whiner::whiner:

:whiteflag:

Sorry Fenway. At least you still have the Bruins and the rest of the baseball season.

soxfanatlanta
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow, Boston just plain sucked in that series, how did they get swept by these bums? :redneck

LongLiveFisk
06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Wow, Boston just plain sucked in that series, how did they get swept by these bums? :redneck

I think I read something like that on one of their message boards yesterday. :lol:

kufram
06-02-2011, 10:23 AM

I don't know about THE most important but when I was a kid Yaz was a triple crown winner and was on a par with Stan Musial. They each were the face of a storied franchise for a very long time. Doesn't happen these days.

kittle42
06-02-2011, 11:07 AM

That is overstating a 3-game series in June.

Definitely overstating.

Lip Man 1
06-02-2011, 11:41 AM
I didn't realize the White Sox have lost nine straight to the Tigers dating back to last season.

That's just sick.

Lip

Moses_Scurry
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM

It only becomes monumental (bad) if the Sox get swept. If they lose 2 of 3, they only lose 1 game on the kitties. If they sweep, its great, but not monumental unless Cleveland loses their next 3 also.

voodoochile
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM

So if we sweep they'll build another statue, but if we only take 2/3 we only get a plaque on the wall...

Okay...

voodoochile
06-02-2011, 12:17 PM

No, that was Babe Ruth... :rolling:

Sorry Fen... couldn't resist...

Edit: I shoulda' scrolled down a few posts I see you beat me to it.

voodoochile
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I didn't realize the White Sox have lost nine straight to the Tigers dating back to last season.

That's just sick.

Lip

Lip, it may well be that the Kittens are extra focused on the Sox as the team to beat in the division (at least emotionally). The Sox absolutely wrecked the kittens back in the middle of the last decade. I think over two years they won something like 28 games from the crappy near-record bad Kittens. Detroit then put in a ton of money and became one of the more consistent teams in the division and I'm sure they remember the bad times too...

Fenway
06-02-2011, 12:59 PM
No, that was Babe Ruth... :rolling:

Sorry Fen... couldn't resist...

Edit: I shoulda' scrolled down a few posts I see you beat me to it.

Oh go back to Brooklyn :tongue:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183322_1803217272916_1014362077_32069638_7487943_n .jpg