PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Humber is King -- 5/31 postgame thread

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Humber pitched an outstanding game once again...It just sucks that Sale had to be used in a game where we had a nine-run lead.

I'll take it, though...We've guaranteed another series win in Boston! Now, finish it off with the broom, guys!

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Nice way to end May.

Can we release Bruney now?

chisox12
05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
A little too close for comfort at the end there, but still a nice victory and series win.

WhiteSox56
05-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Ata boy Humber

:)

Foulke You
05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
We never make it easy on ourselves. I'll take the win though. Game wasn't as close as the score indicated. Carmines got some garbage runs off our garbage relief corps. Humber is quickly turning into our ace pitcher. A sweep tomorrow could turn this into a *decent* road trip and have us heading into our homestand with the right frame of mind.

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 09:05 PM
A little too close for comfort at the end there, but still a nice victory and series win.

Isn't it a 4 game series?

EDIT: Just looked at the schedule. No it isn't. Nice series win.

Hitmen77
05-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Humber pitched an outstanding game once again...It just sucks that Sale had to be used in a game where we had a nine-run lead.

I'll take it, though...We've guaranteed another series win in Boston! Now, finish it off with the broom, guys!

At least we didn't have to use Santos or Crain.

Now, even if the Sox lose tomorrow, a 4-6 road trip isn't a total disaster.
(I'm still mad about dropping 3 straight in Toronto, though).

Don't look now, but Beckham doesn't look like some the Sox "ruined" who needs to be sent to the minors now.

Rios, on the other hand, still sucks. How many more years until his high priced contract is up?

chisox12
Isn't it a 4 game series?

No, tomorrow is the last game. Thursday is a day off.

BigHurt3515
Sale got up to 97.. Why doesnt he do that more often instead of 93-94.. He's a lot better when he throws harder

russ99
Nice way to end May.

Can we release Bruney now?

He didn't do that poorly, and there were 2 errors.

I'll chalk up the leadoff walk to jitters.

As I said in the gamethread, he's better then Pena or Ohman.

spawn
4-5 so far on this road trip. A win tomorrow and a sweep of the Red Sox means a .500 10-game road trip through Texas, Toronto, and Boston. Why does it feel like it's been a lot worse than this?

voodoochile
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Another excellent team effort. Sox look sharp at the plate and in the field. Don't know if that has something to do with Ozzie going off or not, but whatever, I'll take it.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

all*star quentin
05-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Ohman and Bruney gave me an ulcer. I feel better knowing that the Red Sox fans had their hopes crushed in the 9th. :D:

Nelfox02
05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
Grab a W tomorrow and this is a 5-5 trip, not great, but I would be satisfied with that mark consdering the teams we were playing.....

as for tonight, offense plenty good, Humber was great (again)......we made things dicey late, but all is well that ends well

Sweep this one, go into the off day with some very positive vibes ahead of a big series against Detroit

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 09:08 PM
The way we were hitting in Toronto, I didn't think we'd have a shot against Lester and Aceves.

Nice surprise.

russ99
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM
4-5 so far on this road trip. A win tomorrow and a sweep of the Red Sox means a .500 10-game road trip through Texas, Toronto, and Boston. Why does it feel like it's been a lot worse than this?

.500 in our toughest road trip of the year would be nice.

But it mean nothing unless we can turn it around at home.

BleacherBandit
05-31-2011, 09:09 PM

Toronto had those three horrid games in a row. That'll put a bad taste in any fan's mouth.

bluedemon45
05-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Just glad we got the win. If we can win tomorrow to sweep Boston and go 5-5 on the road trip many of us will be happy.

Humber solid...again! We looked great offensively besides Rios. Bullpen can't ever make it easy. Santos had no business even warming up today.

Lets sweep them tomorrow.

LITTLE NELL
05-31-2011, 09:11 PM
I was hoping for a .500 trip before it started, don't let me down now boys.

Hitmen77

Dropping 5 of 7 to start this trip....including a couple of real stinkers.... is probably why.

ShooterMcGavin
Humber pitched another ho-hum quality performance.

Beckham is starting to come around.

Ramirez 4-5 with 3 RBI.

I really like the Sox's chances at winning tomorrow based on the pitching matchup.

ChiSoxGal85
05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Humber was pretty darned awesome. He needs to stay in the rotation. Alexei has been red hot; 4/5 w/ 3 RBIs today. Gordon looks like he's getting back on track. Lillibridge almost spoiled Jenks' return of the DL by just missing a homer over the Green Monster.

Geez, it just can't be easy though...the Sox need to quit trying to give games away.

I'd kinda thought the Red Sox were gonna embarrass our Sox after Toronto. I'm thrilled with the 2 wins and would LOVE a sweep!!

spawn
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Toronto had those three horrid games in a row. That'll put a bad taste in any fan's mouth.
Yeah...that will do it. After leaving Toronto and the ensuing Ozzie circus, I didn't think this team had a prayer against Boston.

slavko
05-31-2011, 09:17 PM

Correct sir, even if the HR off Ohman was a pop fly.

Foulke You
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
I'd kinda thought the Red Sox were gonna embarrass our Sox after Toronto. I'm thrilled with the 2 wins and would LOVE a sweep!!
I've given up trying to figure this team out too, lol. I did have a lot more confidence heading into Fenway than I did Sky Dome. We just don't play well against the Jays, especially north of the border. White Sox have owned Boston the last couple years though. Here is hoping this trend continues tomorrow.

asindc
05-31-2011, 09:22 PM
I've given up trying to figure this team out too, lol. I did have a lot more confidence heading into Fenway than I did Sky Dome. We just don't play well against the Jays, especially north of the border. White Sox have owned Boston the last couple years though. Here is hoping this trend continues tomorrow.

So did I.

Foulke You

I agree. Bruney was hitting 95 mph pretty regularly and appears to have good stuff. Nothing was hit terribly hard and the walk was totally jitters. The botched play in RF is a routine fly ball in most ballparks and Varitek's hit was a seeing eye dog single. Everything that is hit off of Pena and Ohman seems to be hit hard.

voodoochile

I have to admit that even an optimist like me was looking at the unfolding events this last weekend and wondering if it would be the straw that broke the camel's back on the 2011 season and send the Sox into a deep funk. Sunday didn't leave me much hope but the last two days have proven how resilient this team is.

tstrike2000
05-31-2011, 09:25 PM
Hopefully a head start to a June hot streak.

thomas35forever
05-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Little scary at the end, but nice to see an otherwise dominating performance by our Sox. Sale's save helps my fantasy team.:cool:

asindc
05-31-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm 2-0 at Fenway after attending yesterday's game with my Red Sox fan uncle. Boston fans were certainly nervous about Peavy. If we can just get Dunn and Rios going...

BringHomeDaBacon
05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
And the clown was implying to the press that Humber would be going to the pen.

tstrike2000
05-31-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah...that will do it. After leaving Toronto and the ensuing Ozzie circus, I didn't think this team had a prayer against Boston.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_fl5QE1o7Ccg/Syb5fIBIP3I/AAAAAAAABLY/Zxgw9MZddCE/s320/jon+bon.jpg

"Take my hand, we'll make it I swear!"

Lip Man 1
05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Only the 3rd time this year the Sox scored in double figures and the first two times came in the first five games.

IF the Sox can get the sweep they'll have gone 14-16 on this 30 road games in 42 games stretch, not bad by anybody's standards.

Thornton was quoted by Gonzo tonight in a story saying the Sox will have played 46 games in 48 days with no rainouts. Said he's never seen anything like that and that MLB planned it that way.

Lip

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 09:38 PM
@scottmerkin (http://twitter.com/#%21/scottmerkin) Scott Merkin
Lillibridge said he got heckled and interfered with on the last Sutton fly ball, adding with a smile how a fan grabbed one of his ears

Gavin
05-31-2011, 09:39 PM
Only the 3rd time this year the Sox scored in double figures and the first two times came in the first five games.

IF the Sox can get the sweep they'll have gone 14-16 on this 30 road games in 42 games stretch, not bad by anybody's standards.

Thornton was quoted by Gonzo tonight in a story saying the Sox will have played 46 games in 48 days with no rainouts. Said he's never seen anything like that and that MLB planned it that way.

Lip

Good teams win most of their games.

JB98
05-31-2011, 09:45 PM
For some reason, the Sox have Boston's number -- 6-1 against this club last season and now back-to-back victories to open this series.

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Ozzie needs to go psycho more often.

thomas35forever
05-31-2011, 09:51 PM
For some reason, the Sox have Boston's number -- 6-1 against this club last season and now back-to-back victories to open this series.
We've beat up on Cleveland pretty well too. Maybe we've got a knack for playing against first-place teams (at least two of them)?

LongLiveFisk
05-31-2011, 09:52 PM
We've beat up on Cleveland pretty well too. Maybe we've got a knack for playing against first-place teams (at least two of them)?

It does seem that the Sox play better against better teams. I don't have stats in front of me, just my own memory here but it really does seem that way.

Moses_Scurry
05-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Now would be a PERFECT time to start a 25-5 run.

thomas35forever
05-31-2011, 09:55 PM
It does seem that the Sox play better against better teams. I don't have stats in front of me, just my own memory here but it really does seem that way.
It's been that way for a few years now. Nothing new.

kevingrt
05-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Now would be a PERFECT time to start a 25-5 run.

I'd rather just go for a 30-0 run.

Our plate discipline looks much better now. And we just seem to be getting luckier now. Hopefully we can keep it up for some time and hit the .500 mark soon.

Need this starting pitching to continue too. Maybe we can turn around Danks as well.

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2011, 10:04 PM
Maybe the team just wanted Ozzie to shut the hell up? Let's just hope they don't lay an egg against Wakefield when they've faced tougher pitching.

TDog
05-31-2011, 10:08 PM
We never make it easy on ourselves. I'll take the win though. Game wasn't as close as the score indicated. Carmines got some garbage runs off our garbage relief corps. Humber is quickly turning into our ace pitcher. A sweep tomorrow could turn this into a *decent* road trip and have us heading into our homestand with the right frame of mind.

Most of the runs were given up by Humber. Half of Humber's runs came in after he was gone from the game, but he was gone from the game because he was struggling and didn't stand a great chance of getting Ortiz out.

That being said, this was a game where Humber's line, his ERA in particular, doesn't reflect how well he pitched, not unlike his win in Oakland where he shut down the A's through six and ran into trouble in the seventh. In that game, the A's only scored three, which was one run short of catching up. Crain, Thornton (aided by an out on an attempted steal of home) and Santos shut down the A's to win it for Humber. If tonight's game had been close, Humber wouldn't have been out for the eighth. Front-line relief would have been in at the first sign of trouble, if not to start the eighth. He would be taking a better ERA into his next start.

But wins are more important than stats, and the Sox won without using Santos or Crain (Thornton probably being unavailable tonight). Winning and saving the bullpen was more important than protecting his ERA. Obviously there will be many low scoring games where the top relievers will be needed more. Maybe Sale successfully attacking Gonzalez in a game not quite decided will help his mental development.

Once again, the White Sox got a lead against the Red Sox starter. Just about everyone contributed. Rios hit into some tough luck in the four-run second, but the Red Sox error later in the inning sort of evened things out. Konerko seems to be swinging well again. Ramirez had one of his strong offensive games. Beckham is swinging better. I hope it's not just that the Red Sox are working on an outdated scouting report.

I am impressed with Humber as well. It is true that this was the first time the Red Sox have seen him. Certainly some fans will be blaming his seven-inning dominance on that fact. But he he appeared to be sharp as he needed to be. He is looking very good, certainly much better than Sox fans had reason to expect he would be. I just hope he continues to look this good the second half of the season.

34rancher
05-31-2011, 10:13 PM
How do the sox win 6 straight in Fenway but lose 3/4 in toronto?

chisoxfanatic
05-31-2011, 10:16 PM
How do the sox win 6 straight in Fenway but lose 3/4 in toronto?
Doesn't it seem like there's just something about domes?

canOcorn
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Most of the runs were given up by Humber. Half of Humber's runs came in after he was gone from the game, but he was gone from the game because he was struggling and didn't stand a great chance of getting Ortiz out.

That being said, this was a game where Humber's line, his ERA in particular, doesn't reflect how well he pitched, not unlike his win in Oakland where he shut down the A's through six and ran into trouble in the seventh. In that game, the A's only scored three, which was one run short of catching up. Crain, Thornton (aided by an out on an attempted steal of home) and Santos shut down the A's to win it for Humber. If tonight's game had been close, Humber wouldn't have been out for the eighth. Front-line relief would have been in at the first sign of trouble, if not to start the eighth. He would be taking a better ERA into his next start.

But wins are more important than stats, and the Sox won without using Santos or Crain (Thornton probably being unavailable tonight). Winning and saving the bullpen was more important than protecting his ERA. Obviously there will be many low scoring games where the top relievers will be needed more. Maybe Sale successfully attacking Gonzalez in a game not quite decided will help his mental development.

Once again, the White Sox got a lead against the Red Sox starter. Just about everyone contributed. Rios hit into some tough luck in the four-run second, but the Red Sox error later in the inning sort of evened things out. Konerko seems to be swinging well again. Ramirez had one of his strong offensive games. Beckham is swinging better. I hope it's not just that the Red Sox are working on an outdated scouting report.

I am impressed with Humber as well. It is true that this was the first time the Red Sox have seen him. Certainly some fans will be blaming his seven-inning dominance on that fact. But he he appeared to be sharp as he needed to be. He is looking very good, certainly much better than Sox fans had reason to expect he would be. I just hope he continues to look this good the second half of the season.

I just wish the Sox had traded for Schierholtz and then he could have caught that 300 foot fly ball. :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Roof was open in Toronto. Didn't you see the bright sunshine during the games or were you like the rest of us burying our faces in our hands......?

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Surprised that people haven't figured out that Ozzie does/say odd/crazy things to put the attention on him and take it off the team. Seems to always work. Call it 'planned craziness'. Ozzie knows what he is doing.

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Surprised that people haven't figured out that Ozzie does/say odd/crazy things to put the attention on him and take it off the team. Seems to always work. Call it 'planned craziness'. Ozzie knows what he is doing.
I've been saying that for years and the Ozzie haters call me names for even thinking that way......

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 10:27 PM

I've been saying that for years and the Ozzie haters call me names for even thinking that way......

Where was he last month then?

If it works so well, he should be doing it after every Twins series.

Ozzie going on a tirade didn't make Jon Lester and Alfredo Aceves pitch badly. I can guarantee you that.

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 10:28 PM

Where was he last month then?

If it works so well, he should be doing it after every Twins series.

Ozzie going on a tirade didn't make Jon Lester and Alfredo Aceves pitch badly. I can guarantee you that.
See. There's no pleasing some people.

JermaineDye05
05-31-2011, 10:29 PM
See. There's no pleasing some people.

I'm pleased. I just don't buy the fact that Ozzie sparked the team by giving us fans the finger pretty much.

I'm more inclined to believe that the Sox caught Jon Lester and Alfredo Aceves at the right time and took advantage.

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 10:30 PM

Guess that it take some people longer to catch on. Ozzie knows the pulse of this team better than anybody. Better than Kenny. Guillen cannot do it all of the time. It is like a basketball coach cannot call timeout everytime his team looks tired and disorganized. lol!

TDog
05-31-2011, 10:31 PM
I just wish the Sox had traded for Schierholtz and then he could have caught that 300 foot fly ball. :rolleyes:

It's too bad you missed my original point last December that the White Sox shouldn't have signed Dunn but improved their outfield defense instead.

It has nothing to do with tonight's game, which the White Sox won, but so far it looks like I nailed it.

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 10:36 PM
It's too bad you missed my original point last December that the White Sox shouldn't have signed Dunn but improved their outfield defense instead.

It has nothing to do with tonight's game, which the White Sox won, but so far it looks like I nailed it.
http://www.8womendream.com/wp-content/uploads/pat_on_the_back.jpg

Noneck
05-31-2011, 10:55 PM

"Get someone else to blow your horn and the sound will carry twice as far."

Will Rogers
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/horn.html#ixzz1NzdFAjzx"] (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/willrogers384247.html)

soltrain21
05-31-2011, 11:01 PM

This line of thought again?

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 11:02 PM
I am less worried about him. His ABs seem better. But, I would keep him batting second...second to last in the lineup. haha!

Rios and Dunn. Just get them started. They don't have to be All-Stars just decent enough. Is .250-.260 and some HRs/RBIs too much to wish for? The Undynamic Duo better morph into the Dynamic Duo.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2011, 11:26 PM
Let's see Minnesota has beaten the Sox 15 out of the last 20 games...

Toronto has beaten the Sox 22 out of the last 29 games...

I guess Ozzie needs to better select his rants then.

Lip

DrCrawdad
05-31-2011, 11:33 PM
I love seeing THE Sox beating the Other Sox. That is oh, so sweet.

MountainCur
05-31-2011, 11:37 PM
this team has a great knack for winning some games right at the point I am going to give up on them.

TDog
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Will Rogers

My intent was not to blow my own horn, to brag about being right, to gloat that Adam Dunn isn't doing any better than Mark Kotsay was a year ago. I had hoped Dunn would prove me wrong. My intent was to express frustration over harassment over a position I took months ago. It would be tiresome if I had been in the wrong and people continued to remind me of being wrong. Anyone analyzing baseball and applying it to future projections will be wrong occasionally. I am not a negative troll who posts expectations of the worst of everything and gloats when things go bad.

Rather, people are treating me as if I am some kind of moron because of a position I had the guts to take months ago, bringing it up in response to analysis that is totally unrelated. And Exhibit 1 in prosecuting me for baseball idiocy is analysis that, although unpopular, was unique and spot on.

This has grown more than tiresome.

guillensdisciple
06-01-2011, 12:05 AM
THis team makes no sense to me.

Just get within 5 by the all star break.

hawkjt
06-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Everybody but Alex had a hit tonite...that is good to see.
Dunn was on base 4 times,which is an improvement.
I am sticking with my notion that Danks should go to the bullpen to get figured out,and Humber stays in the rotation. Then come late June, kenny can deal Edwin to a desperate Yankees for one of their stud minor league catchers and maybe another prospect. Then Johnny Danks slides back into the rotation.

Humber has been the bright spot for the season at this point. Good to have another cheap starter for next year and beyond.
Sox are finally getting some seeing eye big hits this week,with AJ's up the middle grounder being huge,along with Juans two rbi high bouncer over Gonzo being great. Alexei is on fire, and PK is on track for 120 rbis,with Carlos on track for 110 rbis.

Now, tomorrow is pretty big, as Sox would have very good momentum coming into the Tiger series....time to run down those kittys!

Noneck
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM
My intent was not to blow my own horn, to brag about being right, to gloat that Adam Dunn isn't doing any better than Mark Kotsay was a year ago. I had hoped Dunn would prove me wrong. My intent was to express frustration over harassment over a position I took months ago. It would be tiresome if I had been in the wrong and people continued to remind me of being wrong. Anyone analyzing baseball and applying it to future projections will be wrong occasionally. I am not a negative troll who posts expectations of the worst of everything and gloats when things go bad.

Rather, people are treating me as if I am some kind of moron because of a position I had the guts to take months ago, bringing it up in response to analysis that is totally unrelated. And Exhibit 1 in prosecuting me for baseball idiocy is analysis that, although unpopular, was unique and spot on.

I only suggest that telling everyone about your Dunn prediction in almost every post makes you look as though you indeed are blowing your own horn. I dont know your intentions but it appears to many that is how they feel. Most here know how you felt about the Dunn move, I dont see the need to remind anyone from here on.

It was an unpopular view you had but one never knows how it may play out in the end. Dunn has many years left on his contract, I hope you will remember what you said if his subsequent years are just the opposite of this one so far.

Foulke You
06-01-2011, 12:47 AM
It was an unpopular view you had but one never knows how it may play out in the end. Dunn has many years left on his contract, I hope you will remember what you said if his subsequent years are just the opposite of this one so far.
Or if Dunn ends up hitting 25 to 30 bombs between now and October.

TDog
06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
I only suggest that telling everyone about your Dunn prediction in almost every post makes you look as though you indeed are blowing your own horn. I dont know your intentions but it appears to many that is how they feel. Most here know how you felt about the Dunn move, I dont see the need to remind anyone from here on.

I was responding in my defense to someone who attacked me over my analysis concerning Dunn despite the fact that had not mentioned Dunn in discussing tonight's great win. I generally only bring up Dunn when someone attacks me over my position, although I defended Guillen for pinch-hitting with Dunn and not pinch-hitting for Dunn during this roadtrip. The most frustrating aspect is that some of the attacks come from people who have given up on watching baseball this year.

I have no problem rationally discussing baseball with someone who disagrees with me. But the silly, substanceless attacks have become tiresome. Still, I apologize for overreacting.

doublem23
06-01-2011, 02:00 AM
People were actually "scared to the end?"

Sheesh, Boston's WPA was never even more than 2.5%.

http://www.fangraphs.com/liveplays.aspx?date=2011-05-31&team=Red%20Sox&dh=0&season=2011

Good win. Get the sweep tomorrow afternoon.

Hitmen77
06-01-2011, 07:57 AM

It doesn't always work.

If it did, then why did he wait until we were 10 games out to "plan this craziness"? Also, where was the planned craziness that carried the Sox to great things in 2009 and 2010?

If Ozzie's plan for getting success out of this team truly is to make offensive remarks (and I don't think it is), then I would like a manager that has a better game plan.

asindc
06-01-2011, 07:59 AM

Noneck,

You are basically asking TDog to remain silent while others make snarky remarks about his Dunn stance, even when the remarks are unrelated to the topic at hand. This is how the discussion unfolded.

http://www.8womendream.com/wp-content/uploads/pat_on_the_back.jpg

Will Rogers

I agree with the bolded statement, even though I generally disagree with TDog's stance on this issue.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Good teams win most of their games.Meh. Going 2 under .500 over such a long road stretch (if they win tonight) is nothing to scoff at. While great team often have winning records on the road, sometimes they dont. Last year two of the playoff teams had losing road records, including the AL champs. Of course, those teams take care of business at home, which the Sox haven't done so far.

khan
06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
It doesn't always work.

If it did, then why did he wait until we were 10 games out to "plan this craziness"? Also, where was the planned craziness that carried the Sox to great things in 2009 and 2010?

If Ozzie's plan for getting success out of this team truly is to make offensive remarks (and I don't think it is), then I would like a manager that has a better game plan.

No kidding. I find it funny that the Ozz-pologists disappeared from here for a few days, so I had to take over for them.

There is little-to-no evidence that Ozzie basically telling the fans to **** off [AGAIN] had anything to do with the SOX beating 2 pitchers that didn't have their best stuff.

palehozenychicty
06-01-2011, 11:34 AM

I think they look slow in those settings. The ball rolls a little quicker and flies around a little faster than a natural setting. It happens to a lot of teams, but us in particular.

Just a thought.

asindc
06-01-2011, 12:00 PM
No kidding. I find it funny that the Ozz-pologists disappeared from here for a few days, so I had to take over for them.

There is little-to-no evidence that Ozzie basically telling the fans to **** off [AGAIN] had anything to do with the SOX beating 2 pitchers that didn't have their best stuff.

Without disputing the non-bolded part above, it should be noted that Liriano's stuff when he "no hit" the Sox was no better than Aceves last night, and actually worse the Lester's the night before.

Noneck
06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
Without disputing the non-bolded part above, it should be noted that Liriano's stuff when he "no hit" the Sox was no better than Aceves last night, and actually worse the Lester's the night before.

Yes, being no hit by Liriano that night was the lowest point of the Sox hitting struggles this year, imo. 6 walks and his stuff was not good.

SI1020
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I've been saying that for years and the Ozzie haters call me names for even thinking that way...... I would never call you a name even if you called me one. I just happen to think that theory is bull****. Ozzie says what he says because that's the way he is. It's nothing new, he was like that as a player.

khan
06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Oh, I don't disagree. I'd actually thought the same thing during the game, to tell you the truth.

But one wonders what the "Ozzie-going-off-is-what-sparked-the-team" types were saying as the SOX swung at garbage in the dirt vs. Liriano.

In other words, if Ozzie telling the fans to **** off is such a great piece of "strategery," why didn't he do it BEFORE that game? Or during that game? Or plan his mouthing off around important games? Or use it to stop the team from crapping their pants in this and in 2010's April?

Why didn't he tell the fans to **** off as they were getting pummelled by the rays in the playoffs? Why doesn't he tell the fans to **** off before each and every game vs. the twins?

I'm sure we'll hear some spin-doctoring from the Ozzpologists, but nothing cogent with respect to Ozzie mouthing off and the team winning 2 vs. pitchers that struggled.

Meanwhile, the next time the SOX make some nondescript schmuck who's barely hanging onto a job look like Cy Young on Steroids, the Ozzpologists will return to their hideouts. The next time the 3-4-5-6-7 in the lineup swing at that juicy slider 2 feet outside and in the dirt, the Ozzpologists will again disappear.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh, I don't disagree. I'd actually thought the same thing during the game, to tell you the truth.

But one wonders what the "Ozzie-going-off-is-what-sparked-the-team" types were saying as the SOX swung at garbage in the dirt vs. Liriano.

In other words, if Ozzie telling the fans to **** off is such a great piece of "strategery," why didn't he do it BEFORE that game? Or during that game? Or plan his mouthing off around important games? Or use it to stop the team from crapping their pants in this and in 2010's April?

Why didn't he tell the fans to **** off as they were getting pummelled by the rays in the playoffs? Why doesn't he tell the fans to **** off before each and every game vs. the twins?

I'm sure we'll hear some spin-doctoring from the Ozzpologists, but nothing cogent with respect to Ozzie mouthing off and the team winning 2 vs. pitchers that struggled.

Meanwhile, the next time the SOX make some nondescript schmuck who's barely hanging onto a job look like Cy Young on Steroids, the Ozzpologists will return to their hideouts. The next time the 3-4-5-6-7 in the lineup swing at that juicy slider 2 feet outside and in the dirt, the Ozzpologists will again disappear.I know your posts generally go for the rage factor instead of providing facts in an insightful manner, but you might want to rethink the whole "Rays pummelling the Sox" thing. The Sox lost the series 3-1 and there was only one game that wasn't close late. Oh, and the Sox had their worst pitcher going 1st and their best two going 3 and 4. Oh, and they only had those unfavorable pitching matchups because they had to play down to the wire due in large part to the AL MVP missing the last month of the season (and the playoffs). So, going into a playoff series with your 4th starter pitching game 1, without your best hitter (and the best hitter in the American League in 2008) makes it a little difficult to win a series. Losing that series 3-1 doesn't constitute a pummelling in anyone rational's book. Maybe you a good manager would have made Vazquez not crap the bed or made someone like Uribe step up and hit like Quentin was hitting that year? Yep, Ozzie's fault. I know how mad the 2008 division title must make you, but no matter how much you try diminish its importance, it doesn't work.

khan
06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I know your posts generally go for the rage factor instead of providing facts in an insightful manner, but you might want to rethink the whole "Rays pummelling the Sox" thing. The Sox lost the series 3-1 and there was only one game that wasn't close late. Oh, and the Sox had their worst pitcher going 1st and their best two going 3 and 4. Oh, and they only had those unfavorable pitching matchups because they had to play down to the wire due in large part to the AL MVP missing the last month of the season (and the playoffs). So, going into a playoff series with your 4th starter pitching game 1, without your best hitter (and the best hitter in the American League in 2008) makes it a little difficult to win a series. Losing that series 3-1 doesn't constitute a pummelling in anyone rational's book. Maybe you a good manager would have made Vazquez not crap the bed or made someone like Uribe step up and hit like Quentin was hitting that year? Yep, Ozzie's fault. I know how mad the 2008 division title must make you, but no matter how much you try diminish its importance, it doesn't work.

Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! The spin begins!!!

What happened to the "Ozzie went off, so the SOX won" idea? What happened to "Ozzie does this on purpose?" [I only asked the question 5 different ways in my previous post, but note that the spin doctoring chooses instead to not address that.]

I was worried that the spin-doctoring would have to wait until after today's game. Thanks for staying on top of things, TOR.

SI1020
06-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I love the Sox but didn't think they were all that competitive with the Rays in the 08 ALDS. What a great finish to the regular season but that team was just barely playoff worthy.

doublem23
06-01-2011, 02:30 PM
I know your posts generally go for the rage factor instead of providing facts in an insightful manner, but you might want to rethink the whole "Rays pummelling the Sox" thing. The Sox lost the series 3-1 and there was only one game that wasn't close late. Oh, and the Sox had their worst pitcher going 1st and their best two going 3 and 4. Oh, and they only had those unfavorable pitching matchups because they had to play down to the wire due in large part to the AL MVP missing the last month of the season (and the playoffs). So, going into a playoff series with your 4th starter pitching game 1, without your best hitter (and the best hitter in the American League in 2008) makes it a little difficult to win a series. Losing that series 3-1 doesn't constitute a pummelling in anyone rational's book. Maybe you a good manager would have made Vazquez not crap the bed or made someone like Uribe step up and hit like Quentin was hitting that year? Yep, Ozzie's fault. I know how mad the 2008 division title must make you, but no matter how much you try diminish its importance, it doesn't work.

That's pretty much the same thing I thought, too. The Rays were a better team than the Sox in 2008, but that ALDS wasn't a total embarrassment like the 2000 series vs. Seattle, the games were tight and the Sox just played themselves into some bad pitching matchups.

TheOldRoman
06-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! The spin begins!!!

What happened to the "Ozzie went off, so the SOX won" idea? What happened to "Ozzie does this on purpose?" [I only asked the question 5 different ways in my previous post, but note that the spin doctoring chooses instead to not address that.]

I was worried that the spin-doctoring would have to wait until after today's game. Thanks for staying on top of things, TOR.The only spin was from you, once again, trying to say that the 2008 team sucked, shouldn't have gone to the playoffs, had no chance in the playoffs, and therefore, Ozzie doesn't deserve a bit of credit for that team. I addressed one of your talking point which was patently false. I didn't feel the need to address your barking because, to my knowledge, it wasn't targeted at me. I have never made the claims you are saying, so there is no spin-doctoring. Just calling out your bull****.

For the record, I have never implied that Ozzie is a puppetmaster who can go on a tirade and make the team win eight in a row. For people who follow the team, it is clear that there have been times when the team was struggling and Ozzie said or did controversial things to take the spotlight/pressure off the players. What impact that may or may not have on lightening the mood in the clubhouse is anyone's guess. However, most of the times he says or does something inflammatory, it's just for the hell of it. I feel like this is the case with his recent tirade, seeing as they were playing really well before losing 4 of 6.

khan
06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
For the record, I have never implied that Ozzie is a puppetmaster who can go on a tirade and make the team win eight in a row.

Thank you for agreeing with me. That's all that needed to be shared, really.

BTW, saying that the SOX got pummelled in a series is not the same thing as saying that "they suck," or that the 2008 division championship "made me mad," as your spin-doctoring indicated. They were beaten by a better opponent, no matter how you try to spin it.

Again, thank you for agreeing with me.