PDA

View Full Version : Soria out as Royals closer

mzh
05-30-2011, 10:09 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110530&content_id=19798200&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

At least temporarily. This guy's been absolutely unhittable for 3 years, there's got to be something going on. Or maybe he's just lost it. Interesting, regardless.

DirtySox
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
He should have been traded a while ago.

thomas35forever
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Crap. Not good for my fantasy team.

Soxfest
05-30-2011, 11:33 PM
He has killed my team last 3 times out bad!

JermaineDye05
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM
Bobby Jenks was unhittable. So was Jonathan Pabelbon.

It just goes to show you how amazing Mariano Rivera is.

TDog
05-31-2011, 12:27 AM
Bobby Jenks was unhittable. So was Jonathan Pabelbon.

It just goes to show you how amazing Mariano Rivera is.

Seriously. Closers seem to flare out and it is to Rivera's credit that he never has. Sometimes closers come back with new teams and gave success before flaring out again. But Rivera is still doing it for the Yankees.

This has been a bad year so far for closers.

asindc
05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
He has killed my team last 3 times out bad!

Mine as well. I made the decision before KC did, though.

DumpJerry
05-31-2011, 09:19 AM
This has been a bad year so far for closers.
I'm sorry, you talking about me?
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sergio+Santos+Seattle+Mariners+v+Chicago+White+-t17WKSHTwjl.jpg

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry, you talking about me?
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Sergio+Santos+Seattle+Mariners+v+Chicago+White+-t17WKSHTwjl.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm117/mtgrnwdstar913/matt-thornton-37-mlb.jpg

Remember me, the original closer?

Foulke You
05-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Dan Plesac on MLB Network was saying that Soria's velocity has dropped a bit this year and he has only been hitting 90/91 mph where before he was closer to the mid 90s on his fastball. The long ball has killed him this year. Soria has 3 blown saves in his last 4 chances if I remember correctly. As previous posters pointed out, being a closer or reliever is a volatile business. You can have it for 3 years, lose it for 1 year, and then find it again. It's why you shouldn't hand out long term contracts to guys who have one great year as a closer. George Sherrill's awful contract from Baltimore comes to mind. Soria's struggles surprise me though because he has enough pitches to get guys out without his good heater.

slavko
05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
I wanted him here. Glad I didn't get my way. It's inevitable unless we're talking Mariano. Billy B may have been right when he said he could make any pitcher into a closer. Or not.

TDog
05-31-2011, 02:10 PM
I wanted him here. Glad I didn't get my way. It's inevitable unless we're talking Mariano. Billy B may have been right when he said he could make any pitcher into a closer. Or not.

It's one of the few things I've heard form Billy Beane (and I hear stuff from him all the time because I live in A's country) that I tend to agree with. Not that I believe any pitcher can close, but he seems to pull closers out of the unlikeliest of places. Andrew Bailey was a minor league starter who made the bullpen out of spring training, replaced an injured closer and won the Rookie of the Year award as a closer. He has been injured pretty much since, as happens to A's pitchers.

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 03:03 PM
never know maybe Coop sees something that he can fix. I am tired of picking up ex-Royals, but maybe this one is okay.

Extra arm in the pen couldn't hurt. If he wound up replacing Pena on the roster, this really couldn't too bad for us.

JorgeFabregas
05-31-2011, 08:10 PM
I remember he had pitched a bunch in the days before the White Sox got to him. Wouldn't be surprised if they overused him.

Foulke You
06-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Soria will likely be fine as these types of struggles happened to many quality closers in the past. Just some dead arm, fatigue, or a mechanics flaw is probably what is ailing Soria. Brad Lidge lost his closing job in 2007 right before his 2008 season where he saved 41 of 41 chances and won a World Series. Good relief pitchers go through things like this. Just ask Matt Thornton this year.