thomas35forever
05-30-2011, 10:38 PM
One inning a game makes.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Nice job.

OmahaSoxFan
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
We'll take it. Nice win over the Sawx on their home field. Don't stop now boys!

GlassSox
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm still watching and it was a nice game to watch. Jake had enough to get it done and the offense showed up. Matt looked better. Let's get two more.

miker
05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
A win! In Boston no less... :D:

guillensdisciple
05-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I told myself I would not watch anymore. I can't.

8.5 back.

GoGoCrede
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Great Memorial Day. And I loved those hats from far away, but when I got a closer look at them...ew.

voodoochile
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Best the team has looked in a while. The defense looked sharper too. Rios made some nice plays cutting off the gap to at least temporarily save some runs. Every starter had a hit. They had 18 base runners and scored 7 runs. They forced Lester to throw 127 pitches in 5.2 and pounded his ERA.

Meanwhile Jake goes 7 again looks solid while Crain and Thornton come in and nail it down.

For the first time in a while it was a genuine team effort and the results were outstanding. More games like this please...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

russ99
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
2-out RBIs! Yes!!

Good win. Keep it going boys, this could still be a good road trip.

Good to see the old Matt Thornton back.

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Great Memorial Day. And I loved those hats from far away, but when I got a closer look at them...ew.

Yeah, I know. I admire the cause completely but I think they can make them look a little nicer.

DumpJerry
The Blue Jays crushed the Tribe 11-1 tonight. I guess we weren't bad, they were hot.

Nice to see Dunn did not strike out tonight. Oh wait......

ChiSoxGal85
This is why I still watch - for those games when the Sox show some life and that they can hit a good pitcher. Every single starter had a hit today.

Nice job by Jake Peavy. Lots of good situational hitting, although leaving the bases loaded in the 8th kinda sucked. Brent Morel took his first walk of the season! And Thornton shut the Red Sox down, even after walking his first batter.

Hate to say it, but I'm glad Dunn was not in the lineup today.

All around a great game, hope for another tomorrow! :bliss:

GoGoCrede
05-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I know. I admire the cause completely but I think they can make them look a little nicer.

I was thinking of buying one till I saw they looked dark blue. I appreciate the cause - I might contribute directly instead of getting a hat.

GlassSox
05-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Oh yea, Dunn on the bench and a win. :tongue:

tstrike2000
05-30-2011, 10:46 PM
A very pleasant surprise.

Soxman219
05-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, this will quiet the franchise rumblings for one night.

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I mentioned in the game thread, has anyone heard anything from Fenway? He's been MIA for a while and this is a series he would definitely chime in on. Hope everything's ok.

kevingrt
05-30-2011, 10:52 PM
We had really good discipline at the plate tonight. We didn't capitalize on all of our opportunities but at least we gave ourselves plenty of opportunities.

And our bullpen was solid once again. If Matty Ice, Jesse, Sale, and Santos can stay healthy and effective the rest of the year we should be able to at least stay in this AL Central race especially if Cleveland doesn't run away with it.

Jerko
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I mentioned in the game thread, has anyone heard anything from Fenway? He's been MIA for a while and this is a series he would definitely chime in on. Hope everything's ok.

My guess is he's gearing up for NHL finals

guillensdisciple
05-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Anyone mind linking me to where I can get me one of those hats please.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 10:57 PM
The Blue Jays crushed the Tribe 11-1 tonight. I guess we weren't bad, they were hot.

Nice to see Dunn did not strike out tonight. Oh wait......

It's possible the Indians are also bad

canOcorn
05-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I can't wait to get drunk on Friday and piss all over a statue. I'll be waving to you Ozzie!

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2011, 11:22 PM
My guess is he's gearing up for NHL finals
That hadn't kept him from sending me hockey-related messages on Facebook up to a couple weeks ago. Something must be up...I hope he's ok.

I'm glad I decided to watch tonight's game...Glad for those couple of nice at bats by TCM and TCQ in the 6th.

SOXYoose
05-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Gotta keep watching.

TDog
05-30-2011, 11:35 PM
If anyone's still watching.

Good outing this time by Thornton. :smile:

Why wouldn't anyone still be watching? Even if you only follow the White Sox when they're winning, White Sox aren't that far behind Cleveland, and the league is catching up with them. (For those who don't watch the games but enjoy sharing negative thoughts in postgame thread and like to say why they don't want to waste their time watching baseball, the question was rhetorical.)

The right Sox tonight did a great job of attacking a very good southpaw starter, wearing him down before the end of the sixth. It helped that Lester wasn't particularly sharp from what I could see, but the Sox were patient enough to make him work hard.

Peavy had one rough inning and otherwise only gave up a solo home run against a solid and hot offensive team. I like that he came back able to go so deep into his starts. Giving him extra rest hasn't hurt, but Peavy appears to have recovered nicely. Thornton looked like the pitcher we expected to see coming into the season.

The Sox were 11 games below .500 and 11 games behind Cleveland after losing in Seattle on May 6. They've played five games above .500 since. That's not a tear, but it's the best record in the division over that span. The Indians have played only .500 ball. It is looking like the Sox turned it around during a West Coast roadtrip, which came after the series when the Sox were no-hit.

ode to veeck
05-30-2011, 11:44 PM

no word of him here or on FB last couple of weeks, since even before games 6 and 7 of the NHL semis

GoGoCrede
05-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Why wouldn't anyone still be watching? Even if you only follow the White Sox when they're winning, White Sox aren't that far behind Cleveland, and the league is catching up with them. (For those who don't watch the games but enjoy sharing negative thoughts in postgame thread and like to say why they don't want to waste their time watching baseball, the question was rhetorical.)

Jeez, I doubt she meant it that way.

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Jeez, I doubt she meant it that way.

Yeah, my intent in putting it that way was simply to see who was still paying attention, since a few people have said they weren't going to watch anymore this season, unless/until coaching changes were made, etc.

GoGoCrede
05-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Yeah, my intent in putting it that way was simply to see who was still paying attention, since a few people have said they weren't going to watch anymore this season, unless/until coaching changes were made, etc.

I thought you meant that since it's a holiday, people probably didn't watch. :smile:

LongLiveFisk
05-30-2011, 11:57 PM
I thought you meant that since it's a holiday, people probably didn't watch. :smile:

No, wasn't even thinking that, but that's a valid point too now that you mention it. :wink:

DrCrawdad
05-31-2011, 12:04 AM
If anyone's still watching.

I only saw the last inning.

We'll take it. Nice win over the Sawx on their home field. Don't stop now boys!

No kidding.

Always good to beat The Other Sox.

Best the team has looked in a while. The defense looked sharper too. Rios made some nice plays cutting off the gap to at least temporarily save some runs. Every starter had a hit. They had 18 base runners and scored 7 runs. They forced Lester to throw 127 pitches in 5.2 and pounded his ERA.

Meanwhile Jake goes 7 again looks solid while Crain and Thornton come in and nail it down.

For the first time in a while it was a genuine team effort and the results were outstanding. More games like this please...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Beautiful day here in Chicagoland topped off with a Sox win!

guillensdisciple
05-31-2011, 12:12 AM
If the White Sox can make it to 6 or 5 games back before the all- star game, I have confidence we will win this division. No team in this division has the capacity to do something dangerous and take it over completely.

HaroMaster87
05-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Very nice game...just got done watching as i DVR'd it and i live on the west coast now.

I thought the entire team, as a whole, had very good at-bats. People were working counts and all seemed to be aware of their situations which has been a problem all year.
Beckham is hitting well over .300 in his last 9 games. Did anybody catch Hit & Run last week? They had on a guy from the Sox academy...I think hes a video guy and he said they found something in Beckham's swing, went to Walker and he went over the video with Gordo and finished the interview with "he should start hitting better now in the next few days" or something to that effect. And low and behold hes cut down on his strikeouts and has been making alot more contact since then...just thought that was interesting.

Now if we can get Ozzie to stop with all the god damned stolen base attempts and running us out of innings...smh

JB98
05-31-2011, 01:06 AM
Lester is one of the best pitchers in the American League, and the Sox beat him. That's nice. Totally unexpected win this evening. It partially makes up for the two games they gave away earlier on this trip.

Peavy is throwing well, and it was nice to see Thornton have a clean inning in the ninth.

TDog
05-31-2011, 01:15 AM

Now if we can get Ozzie to stop with all the god damned stolen base attempts and running us out of innings...smh

The runners were in motion on the 3-2 pitch and one out with Pierre up in the fourth because Pierre had grounded into a double play to end the second. The runners weren't in motion to steal. They were in motion to stay out of the ground-ball double play. As often as the White Sox ground into double plays, Guillen pretty much has to put forced-from-first runners in motion on 3-2 and one out. It opens up holes, and a bad throw to third base probably leads to a run. If the pitch is a ball and the hitter doesn't swing at it, it's a walk.

Unfortunately Pierre grounded into a double play in his second at bat and struck out into a double play in his third at bat. Had the count been 3-2 in the second inning, Morel probably would have been in motion to stay out of the double play. The risk of sending the runners in that situation is not much different from the risk of not sending the runners in that situation. And sending the runners offers more potential reward.

hawkjt
05-31-2011, 03:42 AM
Lillibridge was safe at third. Ump blew the call. What nu?

Nice game by the Sox. Definitely caught Lester on a good nite,when he had no command. Could not believe Francona left Lester in to pitch to Alexi with 122 pitches already. We will take the ducksnort...beautiful.

Lillibridge and Morel are swinging well enough to keep them in the lineup,imo.
PK had his stroke back tonite. Carlos had a nice atbat,and then got hit twice.
AJ has 4 rbis the last two games after 2 the first 53 games...c'mon AJ!

Jake was not high velocity tonite,but hung very tough and found a way...really settled in the last 4 innings. I think time to send danks down to the bullpen to figure it out.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-31-2011, 08:42 AM
The runners were in motion on the 3-2 pitch and one out with Pierre up in the fourth because Pierre had grounded into a double play to end the second. The runners weren't in motion to steal. They were in motion to stay out of the ground-ball double play. As often as the White Sox ground into double plays, Guillen pretty much has to put forced-from-first runners in motion on 3-2 and one out. It opens up holes, and a bad throw to third base probably leads to a run. If the pitch is a ball and the hitter doesn't swing at it, it's a walk.

Unfortunately Pierre grounded into a double play in his second at bat and struck out into a double play in his third at bat. Had the count been 3-2 in the second inning, Morel probably would have been in motion to stay out of the double play. The risk of sending the runners in that situation is not much different from the risk of not sending the runners in that situation. And sending the runners offers more potential reward.

Yet another reason Pierre sucks. He's grounded into more double plays (5) than either Konerko, Quentin or Dunn (3 each).

BTW, the White Sox are ninth in MLB in GIDP - not at all enough to justify getting caught stealing 50% of the time.

October26
05-31-2011, 08:51 AM
This morning I feel like I need an extra day off to recover from a hectic Memorial Day Weekend. Super busy weekend filled with family events; no rest for the weary.

Yes, I still care and I am still watching White sox games.

Peavy with another strong outing last night. And Sox bats came alive as well! Woo-hoo - it fellt so good to see our Sox win! :bandance:

Hitmen77
05-31-2011, 09:48 AM
I told myself I would not watch anymore. I can't.

8.5 back.

Amazing that we really haven't lost ground despite dropping 5 of our last 7. Only 3.5 back of Detroit too. There's still plenty of time to get back into this thing......I'm just still waiting for the Sox to start playing like a team that can compete for the division lead.

It's the Indians coming back down to earth. Even if they're "for real", they weren't going to continue on a 105 win pace all season. The Sox lost 5 of 7 in Texas and Toronto because this team is bad no matter what the Tribe did this weekend.

If the Sox want to show us they're getting their heads out of their asses, then they can win this series in Boston and then play like a $125M team against a main division rival when we return home this weekend.

asindc
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Yet another reason Pierre sucks. He's grounded into more double plays (5) than either Konerko, Quentin or Dunn (3 each).

BTW, the White Sox are ninth in MLB in GIDP - not at all enough to justify getting caught stealing 50% of the time.

Nothing justifies getting caught stealing 50% of the time (just like nothing justifies striking out, 30% of the time), though I guess your point is that the Sox should not attempt as many steals as they do, which besides TDog's point. At any rate, 'Bridge was safe at 3rd on that play.

I was at the game yesterday. Lester was never sharp, and all the Sox hitters took advantage by making him work. I was baffled by Francona's decision to leave Lester in with the bases loaded to face Alexei. He started the inning with 90 pitches and had thrown over 30 pitches in the inning to that point. My Boston fan uncle explained that they had taxed their bullpen during the previous day's DH with Detroit, and Fracona doesn't trust his middle relievers. I can only imagine what the meltdown would be like if the situation was reversed and Ozzie had left in Danks in that situation. I think the WSI server would have crashed.:D:

hawkjt
05-31-2011, 10:26 AM

Juan was about the only hitter who had done anything lately. He was hitting .370 the last 14 games coming into last nite,and yet he is the guy who gets hammered? Or do you prefer guys like Dunn who do not even make contact. I swear some fans find a scapegoat in April and then just ride that pony the whole year,no matter how the player does after that.:o:

doublem23
05-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Juan was about the only hitter who had done anything lately. He was hitting .370 the last 14 games coming into last nite,and yet he is the guy who gets hammered? Or do you prefer guys like Dunn who do not even make contact. I swear some fans find a scapegoat in April and then just ride that pony the whole year,no matter how the player does after that.:o:

It might have more to do with the fact that Juan Pierre is just a bad baseball player.

hawkjt
05-31-2011, 10:41 AM
It might have more to do with the fact that Juan Pierre is just a bad baseball player.

That would also mean that most of the sox lineup are bad baseball players. Of course it could also mean that in the major leagues,solid players do struggle at times,and then get hot at times. I guess in some fans world,everyone should hit .300 from day one,and maintain that average everyday after that,or...they are bad baseball players.
Dunn and Rios are horrible baseball players,as is Beckham,AJ,Morel,and Carlos. They are all hitting worse than Juan.

doublem23
05-31-2011, 11:11 AM
That would also mean that most of the sox lineup are bad baseball players. Of course it could also mean that in the major leagues,solid players do struggle at times,and then get hot at times. I guess in some fans world,everyone should hit .300 from day one,and maintain that average everyday after that,or...they are bad baseball players.
Dunn and Rios are horrible baseball players,as is Beckham,AJ,Morel,and Carlos. They are all hitting worse than Juan.

They're not?

I would say right now we have 3 players, Konerko, Quentin, and Alexei, that could find jobs on most other MLB teams. Then we have guys like Bacon and Dunn who could be reclamation projects (maybe Rios, too, if he wasn't still owed $45+ M) that are definitely/probably good baseball players just stuck with a gaggle of morons for coaches, and then there's the rest of the crap.

Uh, what world do you live in that TCQ is hitting worse than Juan Pierre? Are you only going by batting average, because if so :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:. Carlos is slugging a team-high .545 and is 10th in the American League with an OPS of nearly .900. Pierre is hot garbage and his BA has only been raising because his little duck snorts and seeing eye ground balls have been miraculously finding holes, but he's still virtually worthless even when he gets to 1st base because no one is worried about him stealing bases any more.

Juan Pierre hasn't been very good since he was in Florida... like 7 years ago.

delben91
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
They're not?

I would say right now we have 3 players, Konerko, Quentin, and Alexei, that could find jobs on most other MLB teams. Then we have guys like Bacon and Dunn who could be reclamation projects (maybe Rios, too, if he wasn't still owed $45+ M) that are definitely/probably good baseball players just stuck with a gaggle of morons for coaches, and then there's the rest of the crap.

Uh, what world do you live in that TCQ is hitting worse than Juan Pierre? Are you only going by batting average, because if so :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:. Carlos is slugging a team-high .545 and is 10th in the American League with an OPS of nearly .900. Pierre is hot garbage and his BA has only been raising because his little duck snorts and seeing eye ground balls have been miraculously finding holes, but he's still virtually worthless even when he gets to 1st base because no one is worried about him stealing bases any more.

I think pretty much all 6 guys in the rotation (even Jackson) as well as Santos, Thronton (left handed) and Sale (left handed plus potential) would also find takers pretty easily around MLB right now.

doublem23
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
I think pretty much all 6 guys in the rotation (even Jackson) as well as Santos, Thronton (left handed) and Sale (left handed plus potential) would also find takers pretty easily around MLB right now.

Oh yeah, I was only commenting on the lineup, our pitching has been pretty solid. Even the guys who have struggled, Thornton and Sale, would surely find plenty of teams willing to take them in. Really I think the only pitcher the Sox have used this year that wouldn't be able to find a job somewhere else is Pena. Maybe Ohman, but mostly because the Sox gave him too much money.

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Great game. Peavy stopped the losing streak. Humber goes tonight and he pitched great in his last start on the East coast.

I might be crazy, but I think that Cleveland is on the way down and we can catch them.

SI1020
05-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Great game. Peavy stopped the losing streak. Humber goes tonight and he pitched great in his last start on the East coast.

I might be crazy, but I think that Cleveland is on the way down and we can catch them. There is so much "parity" in baseball now that Bud should be overjoyed, since he likes to copy pro football as much as possible. Only 2 of the 30 teams are playing above .600, and one of them not for long IMO. It does tend to keep hope alive despite this train wreck of a season so far.

palehozenychicty
05-31-2011, 01:03 PM
They're not?

I buy it. Far too many automatic outs in this lineup.

LongLiveFisk
05-31-2011, 01:07 PM
There is so much "parity" in baseball now that Bud should be overjoyed, since he likes to copy pro football as much as possible. Only 2 of the 30 teams are playing above .600, and one of them not for long IMO. It does tend to keep hope alive despite this train wreck of a season so far.

We're still waiting on throwing the challenge flag on bad umpire calls though.

SI1020
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM
They're not?

Juan Pierre hasn't been very good since he was in Florida... like 7 years ago. Pretty damn good assessment, although I'm not quite as hard on Pierre as you.

russ99
05-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Can you show your bias towards sluggers any more succinctly?

They're two different types of players, so why compare them like that, especially with things like Slugging Percentage and OPS where Juan will never even remotely compete on a level playing field with a home run hitter...

Bottom line, both Juan (hitting .318 with 2 SB the last 10 games) and Carlos can play better than they have this year, and both can help the team.

doublem23
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Can you show your bias towards sluggers any more succinctly?

They're two different types of players, so why compare them like that, especially with things like Slugging Percentage and OPS where Juan will never even remotely compete on a level playing field with a home run hitter...

Bottom line, both Juan and Carlos can play better than they have this year, and both can help the team.

It's a bias towards good hitters. Juan's fine, I guess, but he's only been on a roll lately because the little 140 foot moonshots he hits have just been falling between or in front of outfielders right now, so he's going to have to keep cueing those balls in the pockets all season to keep up this kind of semi-good production. It's not like he's beating plays at 1B, making the opposition make bad plays in the field because of his speed, or anything like that. He's just very, very lucky right now. I hope he keeps it up, but it's not like's got a 14-game hit streak or whatever because his talents are just coming out. He hits for absolutely zero power and his speed is average, at best, so the only way he gets on base right now is just to get god damn lucky. I watched the Cubs game yesterday and their rookie CF, Campana, was making plays with his legs, he was beating out IF singles, forcing infielders to rush their throws, and was actually able to steal a base or two when he got to 1st. That's a guy with the proverbial "speed that doesn't slump." As soon as Juan starts hitting the ball towards defenders again, he's going to tailspin.

Add that he is absolutely the ****tiest defensive OF I have ever see and yeah, I'll pay for Dayan's plane ticket from Charlotte if the Sox would dump Juan.

Foulke You
05-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I know this is a bit of a dead horse but I am far more upset with Ozzie's inability to read a game situation when deciding to sac bunt. Having Morel try to sac bunt was the wrong move for so many reasons:

1) Lester couldn't find home plate with a road map and just walked two straight guys. He threw 2 more balls to Morel when he was trying to square a bunt (2-0 count) and Ozzie STILL didn't take the bunt sign off.

2) Adrian Gonzalez was standing right in Morel's grill waiting for it. Even if he gets the bunt down, they get the lead runner at 3B or possibly a DP.

3) IF Morel gets the bunt down, you are setting the table for a non RBI man with no power in Juan Pierre. It's one thing to bunt over two runners for Quentin or Konerko. This was Juan Pierre. It just so happens that it was also a lefty/lefty matchup and Juan looked awful against Lester in his previous two ABs.

4) Morel is a terrible bunter and has failed at it every time he has been asked to sac bunt.

Morel pops it up on a bunt (shocking I know), and then the strike em out/throw em out DP ends the inning. We were very fortunate that this inning didn't cost us the game. I've been more of an Ozzie supporter in the past few years but his decisions are becoming harder to defend. That Morel bunt call last night was Jerry Manuel-esque.

FielderJones
05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
1) Lester couldn't find home plate with a road map and just walked two straight guys. He threw 2 more balls to Morel when he was trying to square a bunt (2-0 count) and Ozzie STILL didn't take the bunt sign off.

The third pitch to Morel (according to Gameday) was a batting practice fastball right over the heart of the plate. If a major league non-power hitter can't get a bunt down on that pitch, we need some new major leaguers.

Lip Man 1
05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Fielder:

But remember the Sox work on fundamentals all the time in spring training according to Ozzie for the past four years.

Lip

FielderJones
05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
But remember the Sox work on fundamentals all the time in spring training according to Ozzie for the past four years.

I blame the minor league system more than Ozzie for Sox prospects that can't bunt.

miker
05-31-2011, 04:45 PM

Does "tweeting" count as a fundamental?

Dick Allen
05-31-2011, 04:47 PM
The third pitch to Morel (according to Gameday) was a batting practice fastball right over the heart of the plate. If a major league non-power hitter can't get a bunt down on that pitch, we need some new major leaguers.If it was a BP fastball, all the more reason for him to be swinging away.

FielderJones
05-31-2011, 04:57 PM
If it was a BP fastball, all the more reason for him to be swinging away.

We wouldn't be able to type now if he swung away 2-0, especially if he GIDP. The WSI servers would have melted down.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-31-2011, 05:04 PM
If it was a BP fastball, all the more reason for him to be swinging away.

Ozzie is either too dumb or too stubborn to take into account that runners on base and ahead in the count is by far and away the best time to be swinging the damn bat.

Chez
05-31-2011, 05:23 PM
It's a bias towards good hitters. Juan's fine, I guess, but he's only been on a roll lately because the little 140 foot moonshots he hits have just been falling between or in front of outfielders right now, so he's going to have to keep cueing those balls in the pockets all season to keep up this kind of semi-good production. It's not like he's beating plays at 1B, making the opposition make bad plays in the field because of his speed, or anything like that. He's just very, very lucky right now. I hope he keeps it up, but it's not like's got a 14-game hit streak or whatever because his talents are just coming out. He hits for absolutely zero power and his speed is average, at best, so the only way he gets on base right now is just to get god damn lucky. I watched the Cubs game yesterday and their rookie CF, Campana, was making plays with his legs, he was beating out IF singles, forcing infielders to rush their throws, and was actually able to steal a base or two when he got to 1st. That's a guy with the proverbial "speed that doesn't slump." As soon as Juan starts hitting the ball towards defenders again, he's going to tailspin.

Add that he is absolutely the ****tiest defensive OF I have ever see and yeah, I'll pay for Dayan's plane ticket from Charlotte if the Sox would dump Juan.

Isn't that exactly what happened Thursday night, top of the 9th in Toronto?

Dick Allen
05-31-2011, 05:48 PM
We wouldn't be able to type now if he swung away 2-0, especially if he GIDP. The WSI servers would have melted down.It's called a hitter's count for a reason. If Ozzie wants to keep pretending that he's in the National League, then by all means, let him go to the National League. Playing for one run in the 4th inning at Fenway is beyond crazy.

ZombieRob
05-31-2011, 05:51 PM
It's called a hitter's count for a reason. If Ozzie wants to keep pretending that he's in the National League, then by all means, let him go to the National League. Playing for one run in the 4th inning at Fenway is beyond crazy.
That's a great point. Sometimes you have to play to that parks strengths and bunting isn't one of them at Fenway.

TDog
05-31-2011, 07:11 PM

When you are thrown out caught stealing on a missed hit and run, when you are caught stealing by putting the runner in motion on a 3-2 pitch, you weren't running in an attempt to steal.

Regardless of the number of teams that hit into more double plays than the Sox, I don't think there is any question the Sox hit into an unacceptable number of double plays. They would have hit into a few more if the runner hadn't been in motion on 3-2 with two out. I've seen a few times this season when sending the runner kept the Sox out of the double play, the statistics aren't kept. It depends on who the runner on second is, who the hitter is, but with Pierre up and Lillibridge, sending the runner is playing the percentages.

It is inconceivable that Pierre and Ramirez with their speed have hit into as many doubleplays as they have. At least it would be if you didn't see them doing it.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
When you are thrown out caught stealing on a missed hit and run, when you are caught stealing by putting the runner in motion on a 3-2 pitch, you weren't running in an attempt to steal.

Regardless of the number of teams that hit into more double plays than the Sox, I don't think there is any question the Sox hit into an unacceptable number of double plays. They would have hit into a few more if the runner hadn't been in motion on 3-2 with two out. I've seen a few times this season when sending the runner kept the Sox out of the double play, the statistics aren't kept. It depends on who the runner on second is, who the hitter is, but with Pierre up and Lillibridge, sending the runner is playing the percentages.

It is inconceivable that Pierre and Ramirez with their speed have hit into as many doubleplays as they have. At least it would be if you didn't see them doing it.

Rios had 21 GDP last year to lead the team and Pierre had 8 himself. My guess is that Ozzie doesn't know GDP rates either.

TDog
06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Rios had 21 GDP last year to lead the team and Pierre had 8 himself. My guess is that Ozzie doesn't know GDP rates either.

It isn't about the rates that people ground into double plays. It is about the count. Last year Rios grounded into no double plays when he had a full count, in part because the White Sox generally sent the runner when the defense could have turned a double play.