PDA

View Full Version : Bruney/Marquez Called Up

DirtySox
05-30-2011, 01:51 PM
CST_soxvan Daryl Van Schouwen
Bruney, Marquez up; McPherson, Harrell down
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#!/CST_soxvan/status/75272612581875712) Favorite Retweet Reply

doublem23
05-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Too bad, I thought Harrell looked OK in Toronto Saturday, he's got some nice movement on that little fastball he throws, he should have got out of his inning scoreless had Brent Morel not napped at 3B with a speedster tearing down the line.

I still think Harrell has the stuff to be a nice arm out of the bullpen.

KMcMahon817
05-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Well, Teahen should be back this week sometime, so it likely that one of Marquez or Bruney's time with the SOX will be short.

LITTLE NELL
05-30-2011, 02:08 PM
This is the move we have been waiting for, 1st place, here we come.

Lip Man 1
05-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Nell:

Well played!

Lip

JermaineDye05
05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
And Viciedo remains in AAA.

HaroMaster87
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM

From what I've heard, he has no options left so once hex called up, he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down again...probably wouldn't make it without someone claiming him.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 03:17 PM
From what I've heard, he has no options left so once hex called up, he'd have to clear waivers to be sent down again...probably wouldn't make it without someone claiming him.

Counter argument to that is why would they send him down? May as well see what the kid's got, and it's not like this team could be any worse.

The Immigrant
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM

Nope, that's not the case. His option was used when he started the season in Charlotte. He can be called up and sent down multiple times during this season without using another option.

russ99
05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, Teahen should be back this week sometime, so it likely that one of Marquez or Bruney's time with the SOX will be short.

That will be Marquez, we already have 6 starters.

Bruney almost made the team out of Spring Training and based on his AAA numbers, he could be the RH middle reliever we so sorely need.

HaroMaster87
05-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Ah ok...guess I had wrong information

russ99
05-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Nope, that's not the case. His option was used when he started the season in Charlotte. He can be called up and sent down multiple times during this season without using another option.

True. The reason they're not calling him up is that they want him to play every day. Viciedo would be on the bench at least part time with the Sox.

Chez
05-30-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Bruney pitch. I recall he had some success with the Yankees.

Daver
05-30-2011, 03:58 PM

Probably because he plays exactly zero positions, and he can't pitch.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 03:59 PM
True. The reason they're not calling him up is that they want him to play every day. Viciedo would be on the bench at least part time with the Sox.

Yep, I don't know where we'd find PT for that guy in front of our left field slugging .300 and jumping face first into OF walls.

cws05champ
05-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe we can just release Pena now. He has given up a run in 6 out of his last 10 appearances. If you can't trust him in there then why is he on the roster?

I'd much rather give Bruney and Infante a shot at Pena's role.

soxfanreggie
05-30-2011, 04:19 PM
I still think Harrell has the stuff to be a nice arm out of the bullpen.

I think he could also provide a spot-start if needed or be a long-term innings eater at a minimum like we had in Carrasco and Cotts. I definitely don't mind having him in our organization.

You also never know if he could have a season as a starter like Esteban Loaiza where everything just clicks. It probably wouldn't be one where he contends for a Cy Young, but maybe as a 15-game winner.

One name I think we could see called up later on in the season to the pen could be Gregory Infante. He did really well in Birmingham and was given the promotion to Charlotte, where he has looked good so far.

billyvsox
05-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Yep, I don't know where we'd find PT for that guy in front of our left field slugging .300 and jumping face first into OF walls.

+1. Right, wouldn't want to put him in RF and move Quentin to left, that would only improve the offense and defense.

Cant put at DH cause our DH hits .181 and sluggs .331 and has 69 k's in 166 ab's.

This 'reeks' of more stubborness. I think we should start a Viciedo Sux thread, maybe that will get him called up. It must stink to be a young player in the Sox system.

Viciedo is clearly locked in at the plate right now. But they will probably wait till he hits a slump and bring him up

TDog
05-30-2011, 07:50 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. My first reaction was that that gives the White Sox 13 pitchers on their 25-man roster, unless I'm miscounting. That leaves only three position players on the bench with one of them being the night's backup catcher.

At least right now, there must be some concern with the depth of the bullpen that trumps the need for a strong bench. Tonight two of the players on the bench are extremely limited defensively, although the other could play anywhere.

DumpJerry
05-30-2011, 09:48 PM
When we signed him, it was reported that Superman, I mean Viciedo, did a few stints out of the Pen in Cuba.

RCWHITESOX
05-30-2011, 11:40 PM
As lousy as the Sox have played there still in contention. No way Cleveland is a lock. They have 3 players who if they start playing like there capable of Rios, Dunn, and Danks there right back into it. In fact they should explore moving Danks as Humber has been the real deal.

delben91
05-31-2011, 09:00 AM

True, but this is the team that put Carlos Lee in LF for several seasons...

asindc
05-31-2011, 09:02 AM
True, but this is the team that put Carlos Lee in LF for several seasons...

... and eventually corrected that mistake.

TomBradley72
05-31-2011, 09:50 AM

Buddy Bell has stated that Viciedo is ready to play the outfield at the major league level.

Daver
05-31-2011, 01:14 PM
Buddy Bell has stated that Viciedo is ready to play the outfield at the major league level.

Yeah, thirty games experience is more than enough. Buddy Bell is the same person that is supposed to be developing talent at the minor league level, there ain't much of that either.

sunofgold
05-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Bruney has major league experience and was pitching well in the minors. I don't know about Marquez. I believe that we DFA'd him and nobody took him. I imagine that he might just be used for mop up or extra inning game.

However, I think that Bruney could help the bullpen. Desperately need another arm since really Crain and Santos have been the only two reliable relievers.

TDog
05-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Bruney has major league experience and was pitching well in the minors. I don't know about Marquez. I believe that we DFA'd him and nobody took him. I imagine that he might just be used for mop up or extra inning game.

However, I think that Bruney could help the bullpen. Desperately need another arm since really Crain and Santos have been the only two reliable relievers.

Of the three lefties, Ohman has been the most consistent since early April. He gave up six runs in Cleveland and has only given up two runs in 15 appearances since. He has only given up one inherited run all season. He has more strikeouts than innings pitched. But he is most effective when he is used in spots. Sale and Thornton are capable pitchers who have been inconsistent and can be used for more than an inning at a time, but won't be able to go beyond two.

The problem is that Pena was the only reliever who could go three or four innings. If the starter has a bad night, the Sox don't have a long man to replace him. When the Texas rain knocked Peavy out after three, Guillen used each of his six relievers over the next six innings to get the win.

I think with the Sox going into Boston, whose offense has had two 14-run games in the last week, the Sox were looking to be in a position to weather an offensive onslaught without wearing out the bullpen. After the bullpen was drained in extra innings in Toronto, they brought up Harrell for potential innings that they ended up needing. They used him up and have sent for more reinforcements.

After Boston, I don't see the Sox continuing to carry 13 pitchers.