PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day hats

doublem23
05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
OK, this thread is born because I have the Cubs game on, but I'm sure the Sox and every other team in the league will be donning the same thing... How do they keep making these uglier? What kind of focus group do they find for these things?

Brian26
05-30-2011, 02:29 PM
OK, this thread is born because I have the Cubs game on, but I'm sure the Sox and every other team in the league will be donning the same thing... How do they keep making these uglier? What kind of focus group do they find for these things?

I thought the same thing as I turned on Detroit vs. Minnesota on MLB network. These are just brutal. I wouldn't wear one of these if they gave it to me for free.

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2011, 02:39 PM
It is MLB's salute to marketing.

Brian26
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
It looks like MLB.com donates 100% of the proceeds of these hats to the Welcome Back Veterans (WBV) Fund, so it's for a good cause. Knowing that, I hope lots of people buy these. I just don't particularly care for the design much. Without question, these go to a good cause though.

billcissell
05-30-2011, 02:49 PM
It's all about merchandising. Some people will actually fork up cash for these silly things. Same reason every team now has a variety of uniform combinations they seem rotate on a regular basis. Some of the retro looks are okay. MLB is just following the lead of the NFL, which does the same thing on a regular basis.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
It's all about merchandising. Some people will actually fork up cash for these silly things. Same reason every team now has a variety of uniform combinations they seem rotate on a regular basis. Some of the retro looks are okay. MLB is just following the lead of the NFL, which does the same thing on a regular basis.

I understand why they do it, and like Brian said, at least the proceeds go to a good cause, just can't someone in the MLB office in New York design a patriotic themed hat that looks good? That's all I'm asking for.

miker
05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
Agree with all posts -- I'm all for the cause, but I've seen Little League teams with better looking hats.

Maybe they could let the White Sox wear their 80's home caps: patriotic colors, historic...maybe???

DSpivack
05-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Agree with all posts -- I'm all for the cause, but I've seen Little League teams with better looking hats.

Maybe they could let the White Sox wear their 80's home caps: patriotic colors, historic...maybe???

I'd like to see them take this hat:

http://www.hatland.com/prodimg/coopwsox17.jpg

Use this logo:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/history/im_cws_logo_1917.gif

But have it coming out looking better than this:

http://cdn2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/158/309/752/Y0Uq.jpg

Or this:

http://product.images.shopnbcsports.com/46-28/46-28529-J.jpg

Or this:
http://www.worldserieshats.com/prodimg/ANbacktraxchiwhi-blkwht.jpg

WhiteSox5187
05-30-2011, 05:22 PM

I understand why they do it, and like Brian said, at least the proceeds go to a good cause, just can't someone in the MLB office in New York design a patriotic themed hat that looks good? That's all I'm asking for.

Are you sure it's 100%? I remember reading an article in the NY Times back in 2009 that MLB and New Era said only "a percentage goes to the WBVF," were it actually 100% I think they would have done a better job to high light that.

TDog
05-30-2011, 05:36 PM
It looks like MLB.com donates 100% of the proceeds of these hats to the Welcome Back Veterans (WBV) Fund, so it's for a good cause. Knowing that, I hope lots of people buy these. I just don't particularly care for the design much. Without question, these go to a good cause though.

I agree totally, but I'm watching the Giants game after watching the Padres-Braves game, and the hats are seriously disconcerting.

soxfanreggie
05-30-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm glad they are doing it for the right cause, but golly...those just look bad!

Brian26
05-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Are you sure it's 100%?

It's stated as 100% at the MLB.com shop.

russ99
05-30-2011, 08:07 PM
This years holiday hats are at least dark blue. We were stuck with all white or red the last few years.

The design is extra funky. They look like those old foam trucker caps.

KnightSox
05-30-2011, 08:11 PM
It's all about merchandising. Some people will actually fork up cash for these silly things. Same reason every team now has a variety of uniform combinations they seem rotate on a regular basis. Some of the retro looks are okay. MLB is just following the lead of the NFL, which does the same thing on a regular basis.I wish the Sox would do that...

TDog
05-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I wish the Sox would do that...

The new Bill Veeck uniforms introduced in 1976 had a white cap with navy SOX on the road and the navy cap at home. Maybe the navy cap was on the road.
In any case, very early in the season, the Sox began wearing the navy caps home and road. Word was the white caps got too dirty.

Watching highlights tonight, I don't think today's Sox caps are so bad.

Brian26
05-30-2011, 08:44 PM
The new Bill Veeck uniforms introduced in 1976 had a white cap with navy SOX on the road and the navy cap at home. Maybe the navy cap was on the road.

No, you had it right. White was on the road. Somewhere in my stash I've got a '77 baseball card of Wilbur Wood or Clay Carroll wearing that white hat with Yankee Stadium's scoreboard in the background.

doublem23
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
Are the Sox's hats dark blue or are they black? I like ours at least better than the Cubs' or Astros', which just looked ridiculous.

DSpivack
05-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Are the Sox's hats dark blue or are they black? I like ours at least better than the Cubs' or Astros', which just looked ridiculous.

I just wish they stuck with one color.

Soxman24
05-30-2011, 09:46 PM
The navy hats from 2008 were the best ones IMO, I can't find them anywhere online.

MARTINMVP
05-30-2011, 10:31 PM
The navy hats from 2008 were the best ones IMO, I can't find them anywhere online.

I saw a few of the all blue Stars and Stripes Sox hats at the Athlete's Foot store at Orland Mall yesterday.

MARTINMVP
05-30-2011, 10:31 PM

They are dark blue. Saw them in person at Lids yesterday. They look better than last year's all white tops, but my normal hat size still ran large on me. Looked like a freakin' train conductor with that hat.

BainesHOF
05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I've seen better hats at a Fred McGriff baseball camp.

kaufsox
05-31-2011, 11:03 AM
I kind of like them. :dunno: This thread does remind me I have to do some more blogs about the White Sox uniforms. I stopped at 1949, right before some of my favorite unis.

doublem23
05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
I just wish they stuck with one color.

They should have gone with the dark blue like the Sox, those at least resembled a hat a Major League team might wear. Only a few teams can really pull off the bright red cap anyways, but combined with the white panels in the front, it was just too much.

Procol Harum
06-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Perhaps these marketing geniuses could simply designate a special marketing effort to sell caps and other MLB team ware and give the proceeds to veteran groups?? Like, even a 1/365th slice of total sales would undoubtedly beat the money they make off these turkeys. That is if they're really interested in helping instead of just ginning up some good p.r.