PDA

View Full Version : What a mess this franchise is

thomas35forever
05-29-2011, 02:37 PM
The more reports I read, the more I think the above may be true. The team has sucked all year, the manager is running his mouth and Dunn says the scouting department is incompetent. It's amazing that we were celebrating a world championship just six years ago. You never would have guessed it considering where we are now. The fact that the problems are running throughout the organization is just disheartening. Like I've said before, I'll go to my 1-2 games this summer just because I'm a good fan, but I can't take this team seriously anymore. Everything that has happened lately is not helping. The mighty have fallen and fallen big time.

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2011, 03:13 PM
The more reports I read, the more I think the above may be true. The team has sucked all year, the manager is running his mouth and Dunn says the scouting department is incompetent. It's amazing that we were celebrating a world championship just six years ago. You never would have guessed it considering where we are now. The fact that the problems are running throughout the organization is just disheartening. Like I've said before, I'll go to my 1-2 games this summer just because I'm a good fan, but I can't take this team seriously anymore. Everything that has happened lately is not helping. The mighty have fallen and fallen big time.
I don't think it's amazing. The franchise took their foot off the gas pedal after that.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 03:18 PM
"It's Time" for new ownership, a new G.M. a new field manager and a new coaching staff. Things have gotten stale with the franchise.

It won't all happen at once but sooner or later a new owner will take over and with that may come some fresh ideas and changes where needed.

Lip

WhiteSox5187
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
"It's Time" for new ownership, a new G.M. a new field manager and a new coaching staff. Things have gotten stale with the franchise.

It won't all happen at once but sooner or later a new owner will take over and with that may come some fresh ideas and changes where needed.

Lip

My only problem with JR is that he is too loyal and won't fire Kenny and/or Ozzie (BOTH of whom need to go). He's spent money consistently since 2005, it's just been mostly on horse **** players.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 03:28 PM
5187:

Agreed. JR has put his money where his mouth is. No complaints there but his loyalty and unwillingness to make changes that seem to be clearly needed is badly hurting the franchise and by proxy himself.

A new owner is under no such obligations from a loyalty standpoint.

Lip

TomBradley72
05-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I would have to agree- 4 years later- this is 2007 all over again- except with a higher payroll- and a minor league system that might actually be in worse shape than it was at that time.

Both KW and OG have had a longer than average tenure in their roles- I have to believe the players are really tuning OG out at this point- there seems to be very little chemistry/energy with this team- and tactically- he's havng his worst season as a manager- line up/batting order selections, in game stategy (incredibly low success rate with bunts, stolen base attempts, bullpen management).

KW has has oversight of the White Sox minor league system in various roles since 1995- 16 years later we have one of the worst minor league systems in MLB- and that's been the case for many years now. A GM who cannot successfully develop a minor league system needs to have a very high success rate with his trades and free agent signings. We have millions of dollars invested in Dunn, Rios, Peavy, Jackson, Teahen, Ohmann- with very little return on a combined ~$60 million in these 6 players. Meanwhile- Richard, Gonzalez and Hudson are solid young pitchers on the rise. We've had chronic problems at CF (other than 2010) since Rowand's trade after 2005, and at 3rd base after Crede's departure. Anderson, Fields, Morel have all been touted as internal solutions- but the assessment of the their talent was way off.

$130M payroll delivering a mediocre team, little energy/chemistry at the major league level, a barren minor league system- it's time for a change.

Noneck
05-29-2011, 04:33 PM
I read here a lot about loyalty on the part of Reinsdorf, when did this start? After 2005? Because of the fact that 2005 made mucho dollars for him? And because of making money he will stand for the face of his organization to act like a 13 year old kid with a foul mouth? It never made sense to me, Reinsdorf is and also has been a money guy, this crap that Gulllen does, does not make money for Reinsdorf, I believe that something else is behind this except loyalty.

DSpivack
05-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I read here a lot about loyalty on the part of Reinsdorf, when did this start? After 2005? Because of the fact that 2005 made mucho dollars for him? And because of making money he will stand for the face of his organization to act like a 13 year old kid with a foul mouth? It never made sense to me, Reinsdorf is and also has been a money guy, this crap that Gulllen does, does not make money for Reinsdorf, I believe that something else is behind this except loyalty.

What else would it be besides loyalty?

How long was Ron Schueler there?

nccwsfan
05-29-2011, 05:01 PM

Lip

I agree with the exception of new ownership. Your point is a solid one but aside from holding onto KW/Ozzie a little longer than he should I can't think of a compelling reason to say sell. He's given KW a very reasonable budget to work with- it just hasn't panned out. I'd like to see Cooper retained also...

Noneck
05-29-2011, 05:01 PM
What else would it be besides loyalty?

How long was Ron Schueler there?

I cant throw that kind of conjecture out here.

Keeping Schueler to me was more of being leary of making another major mistake like he did with Harrleson. It was working "ok" so he stayed with it.

SouthSideMike
05-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Even as loyal as Reinsdorf is, loyalty has to run out at some point. He's done his part and opened the purse strings, but the results have been extremely disappointing to say the least. With a 120+ million dollar payroll, shrinking attendance, and fan interest reaching new lows, you have to wonder just how much longer he'll go before making changes. After all, money is what matters to an owner at the end of the day, and if the bleeding gets any worse I don't think as a businessman he can afford to let the current management stay in place.

DSpivack
05-29-2011, 05:03 PM
I cant throw that kind of conjecture out here.

Keeping Schueler to me was more of being leary of making another major mistake like he did with Harrleson. It was working "ok" so he stayed with it.

So, you believe loyalty isn't the issue, that it's "something else", but refuse to say what that "something else" is?

Noneck
05-29-2011, 05:09 PM
So, you believe loyalty isn't the issue, that it's "something else", but refuse to say what that "something else" is?

Loyality as I previously stated doesnt make sense and am not sure what the something else is.

DumpJerry
05-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Good thing you weren't a fan in the 70's. We went to the park to have fun, win or lose the outcome was meaningless.

I'll be there about 50 times this year and won't regret going to any of the games.

You can't beat fun at the 'ole ballpark.

soltrain21
05-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Good thing you weren't a fan in the 70's. We went to the park to have fun, win or lose the outcome was meaningless.

I'll be there about 50 times this year and won't regret going to any of the games.

He is a senior in college and not everybody can spend an endless amount of money at the 'ole ballpark. It's kind of expensive.

Dan H
05-29-2011, 05:48 PM

I remember the '70's real well. The decade started off with a 106-loss season and was topped off by Disco Demolition. Then there were guys like Nyls Nyman, Wayne Nordhagen, Pete Varney, and Johnny "the jet" Jeter. It was all so much fun.

LongLiveFisk
05-29-2011, 05:51 PM

You sound like a Cubs fan. :lol:

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Dump:

I respect the way you choose to enjoy yourself and the game.

As for me and I stated this many times, the atmosphere, the beer, the weather, the women are all totally and completely meaningless to me.

It's all about winning, first, last, always. The franchise has done very little of it since July 2006. It's time for a housecleaning, fair or unfair. At least the folks being let go are going to be extremely well compensated for failing to do their jobs properly. They should get some satisfaction from that anyway.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
He is a senior in college and not everybody can spend an endless amount of money at the 'ole ballpark. It's kind of expensive.

No it's not. You can get tickets for very cheap (under $15) on StubHub. Once inside the park, you're not required to buy anything, but even if you get a hot dog and beer with the cheap ticket, it's less than taking a date to a movie.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-29-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't think it's amazing. The franchise took their foot off the gas pedal after that.

Bingo. The Sox, IMO, organizational wise, have been going off-hill since late 2009. 2010 finished me.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Dump:

I respect the way you choose to enjoy yourself and the game.

As for me and I stated this many times, the atmosphere, the beer, the weather, the women are all totally and completely meaningless to me.

It's all about winning, first, last, always. The franchise has done very little of it since July 2006. It's time for a housecleaning, fair or unfair. At least the folks being let go are going to be extremely well compensated for failing to do their jobs properly. They should get some satisfaction from that anyway.

Lip

Bingo. My team got mad at me for saying it's only about winning or losing...they got mad! sigh losing is not fun I mean all teams lose but when you lose as much as they did...

TDog
05-29-2011, 08:16 PM

I wonder if we ever sat next to each other. Considering some of the crowds in those days and considering how many games we must have attended in common, it's not all that unlikely.

Things really aren't that bad. Every team in baseball is flawed. Most of them have more serious flaws than the White Sox. The AL Central appears to be the weakest division in baseball, although the Indians had a great April. The other divisions in the AL aren't much better.

Lip was advocating new ownership before the 2005 season. Payroll has gone up since the White Sox went wire to wire and were clearly the best team in baseball. If the money was spent unwisely, it was mostly spent in ways fans wanted the money to be spent in an effort to increase attendance, and that is unfortunate. The latest silly big money move that fans loved was signing Adam Dunn, who seems to be blaming the organization for his inability to hit. It is true, though, that if the Sox had scouted him while he was playing in the National League, they would have seen he struck out as much as he's striking out now,that his on-base percentage was inflated by pitchers pitching around him.

I am loathe to suggest trades because doing so has no connection to reality. But the best thing that could happen to the White Sox could trade Dunn to the Diamondbacks who have become a pretty good team, and it's conceivable they could take on Dunn in an effort to win this year, especially with Posey being lost to the Giants for the season. However, one of the reason the Diamondbacks are a contender this year is that management made a conscious effort to redice the strikeouts in the lineup. If Teahen weren't hurt, he would be a better DH than Dunn anyway. That is consistent with what I posted in February, and nothing has happened this season to prove me wrong. Seriously, if fans ever believe before his at bat that it's correct to pinch-hit for a $14 million DH, you shouldn't have signed a $14 million DH.

I think the White Sox would be better off rotating the DH according to who they are facing, who needs a day off would be preferable to a full-time DH, unless the DH is a slugging .300 hitter. Carrying one more position player who could play defense, perhaps with some speed, would make the offense well-rounded. The White Sox could pick up a couple of relievers at the deadline as the Giants did last year instead of some big name that can no longer hit. Maybe Infante will be able to contribute.

The Sox lost today because Danks wasn't a good pitcher, and really hasn't been this year. The Sox lost the previous two games because they have a shallow bullpen. The dynamics in April, which is what put the Sox as far behind as they are, were different.

DumpJerry
05-29-2011, 08:52 PM
I wonder if we ever sat next to each other. Considering some of the crowds in those days and considering how many games we must have attended in common, it's not all that unlikely.
The Sox lost today because Danks wasn't a good pitcher, and really hasn't been this year. The Sox lost the previous two games because they have a shallow bullpen. The dynamics in April, which is what put the Sox as far behind as they are, were different.
The four years Veeck owned the team coincided with my four years of high school. Veeck never sold tickets for the Reserved Grandstand in the RF Upper Deck, so we always sat in the front row with our General Admission tickets (that is where I was sitting for Disco Demolition). Before Veeck owned the team, my friends and I were too young to go without an adult, so we would sit where our fathers told us to sit. When Veeck owned the team, I called Comiskey my Summer Home since I was there more often than my real home during the summer.

You're right, the May White Sox are not the April White Sox. As May wore on, the Bullpen got more and more consistent in a positive direction while the offense went on vacation with a greater frequency.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey I know we should have signed Nate Schierholtz!!!!!!! Do that and we're eight games in front. LOL

:D:

The issues with this team, this organization, this franchise are a lot deeper and more widespead than signing Adam Dunn. Or it appears to be so just from the things that have come out the past 48 hours.

Lip

DSpivack
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
The four years Veeck owned the team coincided with my four years of high school. Veeck never sold tickets for the Reserved Grandstand in the RF Upper Deck, so we always sat in the front row with our General Admission tickets (that is where I was sitting for Disco Demolition). Before Veeck owned the team, my friends and I were too young to go without an adult, so we would sit where our fathers told us to sit. When Veeck owned the team, I called Comiskey my Summer Home since I was there more often than my real home during the summer.

You're right, the May White Sox are not the April White Sox. As May wore on, the Bullpen got more and more consistent in a positive direction while the offense went on vacation with a greater frequency.

That just makes me a little jealous. I've never been able to afford more than 5-6 games a season, but also the teams now [well, at least when I was the same age, basically from 2000 on] are better than they were then. Part of that is just the economics of sports changing, but also living in Atlanta and DC I could attend many more games than here.

TDog
05-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey I know we should have signed Nate Schierholtz!!!!!!! Do that and we're eight games in front. LOL

:D:

Lip

It amazes me that people still put this in teal.

Nate Shierholtz is the best defensive right fielder in baseball, winning games for the Giants this year both with his glove and his bat. He is even hitting home runs more frequently than Adam Dunn this year. Even Mario Mendoza for his career hit higher than the current Adam Dunn line.

I was right about Adam Dunn. If the White Sox had not signed him and worked to improve their outfield defense instead of committing to a known high-strikeout, low-batting average hitter with minimal defensive skills, the White Sox would be a heck of a lot closer to the Indians. I don't think there should be any question, although some people wish to blame management. I'm not happy about being right because I was hoping I would be wrong.

That people still put this comment in teal can only be attributed to people not watching baseball.

kittle42
05-29-2011, 10:37 PM
It amazes me that people still put this in teal.

Nate Shierholtz is the best defensive right fielder in baseball, winning games for the Giants this year both with his glove and his bat. He is even hitting home runs more frequently than Adam Dunn this year. Even Mario Mendoza for his career hit higher than the current Adam Dunn line.

I was right about Adam Dunn. If the White Sox had not signed him and worked to improve their outfield defense instead of committing to a known high-strikeout, low-batting average hitter with minimal defensive skills, the White Sox would be a heck of a lot closer to the Indians. I don't think there should be any question, although some people wish to blame management. I'm not happy about being right because I was hoping I would be wrong.

That people still put this comment in teal can only be attributed to people not watching baseball.

I watch much more NL than AL because of fantasy investments. If you want to be taken seriously, use a better example than Nate Schierholtz as a guy who should have been acquired instead of Dunn.

05-29-2011, 11:02 PM
As much as I agree that the franchise needs a "reboot", I don't think Dunn needs to be calling out ANYONE. Shut your trap and hit the ****ing baseball.

TDog
05-29-2011, 11:42 PM
I watch much more NL than AL because of fantasy investments. If you want to be taken seriously, use a better example than Nate Schierholtz as a guy who should have been acquired instead of Dunn.

Obviously, if I were going to choose a someone from the National League who would have meant a difference a difference over Dunn, there are many players I could choose from. The reason people teal Schierholtz toward me in relation to Dunn is that when Dunn was signed, I wrote that the Sox would do better by acquiring a player like Schierholtz, who was not a free agent. He won't be eligible for free agency for a couple of seasons, and he is making less than half a million a year. And he still would be a marked improvement over Adam Dunn because he has been so much better a hitter, so much better a hitter in the clutch and has won games with his outfield defense. (Outfield defense, as it turns out, cost the White Sox a few games early in the season.)

I had the guts to make the Nate Schierholtz statement, and I wouldn't run away from it. And I don't need to. At the last Giants game I attended, a between-inning program on the scoreboard ran the top five game-winning plays by Schierholtz this year. Granted, one was only game-tying, a late pinch-hit home run in a game the Giants ended up winning in extra innings.

It isn't like Dunn lately has come up much with runners at first and third and less than two outs in games where the the Sox tied or losing by a run. Actually, it is, and Dunn has had many more opportunities than Schierholtz. But the teal should be obvious. Blame Guillen for not pinch-hitting for someone who gets paid $14 million to drive in runs. That makes a lot of sense, too. Mark Kotsay had better stats through the end of last May than Dunn has this year.

As it turns out, if you don't think much of Nate Schierholtz, the comparison is more credible.

Nellie_Fox
05-30-2011, 12:20 AM
As much as I agree that the franchise needs a "reboot", I don't think Dunn needs to be calling out ANYONE. Shut your trap and hit the ****ing baseball.Exactly. When you're the absolute biggest offensive liability in the lineup, and you're one of the highest-paid and a middle of the order guy, you have no call to be pointing fingers at anyone. It just comes across as excuse making.

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2011, 12:54 AM
As much as I agree that the franchise needs a "reboot", I don't think Dunn needs to be calling out ANYONE. Shut your trap and hit the ****ing baseball.
I don't get why he's calling out the scouting department at all. He has plenty of time to watch scouting clips on guys he is going to face on his own. I hope he isn't in the regular lineup all season if he continues to be like this.

DirtySox
05-30-2011, 01:33 AM
I don't get why he's calling out the scouting department at all. He has plenty of time to watch scouting clips on guys he is going to face on his own. I hope he isn't in the regular lineup all season if he continues to be like this.

It's Adam Dunn's job to somehow acquire hard to obtain minor league footage of a rookie pitcher?

Lip Man 1
05-30-2011, 01:41 AM
Dirty:

Good point... which is the point Gonzo was making. This isn't about getting video of say Verlander, it's getting some on a guy who has five major league appearances and again for those still confused, Dunn said it wasn't an excuse but he feels the Sox are simply getting the basic info, no tendencies or probabilities.

Gonzo says that's something even good college teams supply. Basically in this situation "look for the manager to call this..." or "look for the pitcher to do this."

It's like a CIA analyst, reviewing the info and suppling a 'best guess' as to how you think a manager or player will react. Dunn says the Sox aren't getting that.

Lip

Soxman219
05-30-2011, 01:49 AM
Could be worse, we could be the Dodgers.

tick53
05-30-2011, 08:23 AM
I just have to say that I have been a loyal White Sox fan since I was a young boy in 1964. Since then I have lived and died by the Chicago White Sox. My passion and loyalty never waned through some of the worst teams imaginable. I always had hope that my beloved team would one day bring the World Series back to the South Side of Chicago. As much as I hate to admit it, I can barely even watch this team play. They're boring and uneventful. Adam Dunn may wind up being as much as a bust as Albert Belle was. Ozzie needs to shut up or quit. Kenny Williams needs to get off his high horse or return to California. The Chairman needs to hire people who are qualified instead of old friends and cronies. I've been so disappointed lately that I hardly visit WSI.

Time to re-shuffle the deck.

fox23
05-30-2011, 09:01 AM
I just have to say that I have been a loyal White Sox fan since I was a young boy in 1964. Since then I have lived and died by the Chicago White Sox. My passion and loyalty never waned through some of the worst teams imaginable. I always had hope that my beloved team would one day bring the World Series back to the South Side of Chicago. As much as I hate to admit it, I can barely even watch this team play. They're boring and uneventful. Adam Dunn may wind up being as much as a bust as Albert Belle was. Ozzie needs to shut up or quit. Kenny Williams needs to get off his high horse or return to California. The Chairman needs to hire people who are qualified instead of old friends and cronies. I've been so disappointed lately that I hardly visit WSI.

I wish! That season where he hit .328 with 49 homers and 152 RBIs, what a bust.

SI1020
05-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I wish! That season where he hit .328 with 49 homers and 152 RBIs, what a bust. You beat me to it. Even if Adam Dunn "returns to form" he doesn't come close to Belle production wise.

southside rocks
05-30-2011, 09:24 AM
It's Adam Dunn's job to somehow acquire hard to obtain minor league footage of a rookie pitcher?

No, it's his job to get hits and to have his batting average higher than his weight. When's he going to start doing his job, and who cares if he watches videos of kid pitchers or "Babe: Pig in the City"? That was ONE pitcher. What's Adam's problem with all the other pitchers that he's faced? He's leading the league -- might even be leading both leagues -- in strikeouts and he has not gotten one hit, not even one, this year off any left-handed pitcher.

Lack of video causes that? Gosh, maybe the Sox should send operatives in to destroy the video that other clubs have! :rolleyes:

DumpJerry
05-30-2011, 09:32 AM
That just makes me a little jealous. I've never been able to afford more than 5-6 games a season, but also the teams now [well, at least when I was the same age, basically from 2000 on] are better than they were then. Part of that is just the economics of sports changing, but also living in Atlanta and DC I could attend many more games than here.
When Veeck bought the team, General Admission was $2.00. It went up to $3.00 after a couple of years. Ouch.

white sox bill
05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Growing up on a farm, it was a rare treat that my Dad took us to Comiskey, like once a year. We all loved that park despite the horrible team on the field.

That being said, it infuriates me that the Sox franchise had a huge chance to steal some of the fan base form the Cubs after 2005. True, we did put a dent in that base but have regressed ever since. For the first time I'm ready to hop on the "fire Oz" wagon.

Adam Dunn? I'm pretty patient....theres a reason we play 162....still bit early to proclaim as a bust IMO.

TomBradley72
05-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Growing up on a farm, it was a rare treat that my Dad took us to Comiskey, like once a year. We all loved that park despite the horrible team on the field.

That being said, it infuriates me that the Sox franchise had a huge chance to steal some of the fan base form the Cubs after 2005. True, we did put a dent in that base but have regressed ever since. For the first time I'm ready to hop on the "fire Oz" wagon.

Adam Dunn? I'm pretty patient....theres a reason we play 162....still bit early to proclaim as a bust IMO.

I think he's a bust even IF he returns to career averages- which means he'll strike out 190+ times, bat .235 w/RISP, and hit in the .140s vs. LH relievers- its just a bad signing and a waste of $15M/yr. for 5 years.

delben91
05-30-2011, 11:26 AM
No it's not. You can get tickets for very cheap (under $15) on StubHub. Once inside the park, you're not required to buy anything, but even if you get a hot dog and beer with the cheap ticket, it's less than taking a date to a movie.

Ah yes, not a quality thread until we start calling people out on not spending their disposable income "like a true fan would."

Am I a bad fan since I live in CA and don't fly cross-country to every home game?

TomBradley72
05-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Over the past 4+ seasons-the White Sox are 9th in winning percentage among AL teams, 3rd in the Central behind Minn and Det.

Two winning seasons, two losing seasons, and a losing season in progress- that's a pretty good sample size.

DirtySox
05-30-2011, 11:31 AM
No, it's his job to get hits and to have his batting average higher than his weight. When's he going to start doing his job, and who cares if he watches videos of kid pitchers or "Babe: Pig in the City"? That was ONE pitcher. What's Adam's problem with all the other pitchers that he's faced? He's leading the league -- might even be leading both leagues -- in strikeouts and he has not gotten one hit, not even one, this year off any left-handed pitcher.

Lack of video causes that? Gosh, maybe the Sox should send operatives in to destroy the video that other clubs have! :rolleyes:

Noone is absolving Adam here. You have missed the point entirely.

kittle42
05-30-2011, 07:10 PM
I just have to say that I have been a loyal White Sox fan since I was a young boy in 1964. Since then I have lived and died by the Chicago White Sox. My passion and loyalty never waned through some of the worst teams imaginable. I always had hope that my beloved team would one day bring the World Series back to the South Side of Chicago.

Like all of us.

Adam Dunn may wind up being as much as a bust as Albert Belle was.

Did you actually pay any attention to Sox baseball while Albert Belle was here? He was the LAST reason they stunk.

chisoxfanatic
05-30-2011, 08:10 PM

Albert Belle was an All Star his first season here and won the Silver Slugger award his second season here, setting a White Sox record for home runs in a season. Albert Belle was mashing the ball during his brief 2-year stint here.

BainesHOF
05-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Belle mashed the ball after his early struggles caused the team to fall out of the division race in record time.

BigKlu59
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Exactly. When you're the absolute biggest offensive liability in the lineup, and you're one of the highest-paid and a middle of the order guy, you have no call to be pointing fingers at anyone. It just comes across as excuse making.

Love it Mr. Old School.... I thought the art of hitting was self taught thru repetition and hand eye co-ordination spotting the pea at the point of release and figuring out and reading the seams in that 60-6 path to the plate.. You dont see it and read it at 58 ft ,you make Mendoza look like Ted Williams.. Dunn's reading it at 59-11 and is putting the special in the K... Shut up, quit making excuses and watch Pauly and TCQ round the batting cage you big doof... They dont seem to be having the same angst at this moment.

BK59

BringHomeDaBacon
05-31-2011, 03:16 PM
I think he's a bust even IF he returns to career averages- which means he'll strike out 190+ times, bat .235 w/RISP, and hit in the .140s vs. LH relievers- its just a bad signing and a waste of $15M/yr. for 5 years.

Additionally, even if he returns to career averages THIS year and maybe even NEXT year it is incredibly naive to expect that to continue into his age 33 and 34 seasons. He's freakin 31 and they're already pinch running for him. What happens to a .248 career hitter that can't run (or field) when his career in the decline? How can you expect to come anywhere close to breaking even on the $30mil spent over those seasons?