PDA

View Full Version : Pena To DL

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Sun-Times reporting Pena sent to the 15 day DL. Lucus Harrell called up.

A story on Pena written in the Sun Times Sunday BEFORE he was put on the DL mentioned something very interesting.

The story said Pena had options and didn't have enough service time to block a trip to the minor leagues...yet the Sox hung on to him and let Gray go.

Lip

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-29-2011, 01:03 PM

A story on Pena written in the Sn Times Sunday BEFORE he was put on the DL mentioned something very interesting.

The story said Pena had options and didn't have enough service time to block a trip to the minor leagues...yet the Sox hung on to him and let Gray go.

Lip

Yay, he can't blow any games for the Sox on the DL!

TomBradley72
05-29-2011, 01:29 PM

Lip

Wow.

Complete incompetence if that is true.

Complete.

Incompetence.

thomas35forever
05-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Harrell better pitch lights out because I don't want to see Pena back here. Ever.

Hitmen77
05-29-2011, 02:43 PM

A story on Pena written in the Sun Times Sunday BEFORE he was put on the DL mentioned something very interesting.

Lip

Wow. Unbelievable.

Whose call was that roster move? Kenny or Ozzie?

JermaineDye05
05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Same ****ty pitcher, just a different name.

WhiteSox5187
05-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow. Unbelievable.

Whose call was that roster move? Kenny or Ozzie?

At the end of the day it SHOULD be the GM who has the final word on roster moves. He can consult with the manager, but it is the GM who SHOULD have the final say and be aware of who does and doesn't have options left.

BleacherBandit
05-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Didn't Harrell win a game for the Sox last year? He's probably just as talented as Pena (which isn't saying much).

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
He beat the A's in Chicago on a Friday night in late July. I was at that game watching frm the radio booth.

Oakland was hitting line drives all over the place at Sox fielders and Barton just missed a grand slam by a few feet.

Harrell wasn't fooling anybody that evening.

Lip

JB98
05-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Didn't Harrell win a game for the Sox last year? He's probably just as talented as Pena (which isn't saying much).

Yes, but every dog has its day. The win came against an Oakland team that was struggling offensively.

Harrell doesn't belong on an MLB roster.

Right-handed hitters beat Pena's flat slider like a drum, but at least Pena is effective to left-handed hitters with a decent fastball and change. He's nothing to write home about, but he's a better pitcher than Harrell.

Of course, Ozzie is prone to bringing in Pena to face right-handed hitters, thereby maximizing Pena's weaknesses. He's far better off facing lefties.

BleacherBandit
05-29-2011, 03:42 PM
Not many options, though. I guess Harrell was the one RHP they could call up with any sort of substantial experience. Jhonny Nunez hasn't been called up since 2009.

Lip Man 1
05-29-2011, 03:44 PM
Here's the exact quote from the newspaper story on Pena, "the Sox kept Pena even though he had options left and doesn’t have enough service time to block a move to the minors."

Very strange to me.

Lip

JB98
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
Not many options, though. I guess Harrell was the one RHP they could call up with any sort of substantial experience. Jhonny Nunez hasn't been called up since 2009.

Bruney is actually throwing the ball very well down there, and he has MLB experience. But I think they felt like they needed a long reliever. Bruney is more of a one-inning guy.

Soxfest
05-29-2011, 03:45 PM
DFA him.

Brian26
05-29-2011, 04:01 PM

Lip

Surprisingly, Pena appears to have less than five years of service time. He came up with Arizona in 2006. The options, I believe, run out after five years.