PDA

View Full Version : "check that"

balke
05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I love Hawk and don't want to bash him - but can we just dedicate a thread to keep him in check with some of the stuff he says on the air?

For instance "I was reading some of the comments by Ozzie and he mentioned Brent is a much better 3rd baseman than Omar. And he's been swinging the bat VERY well lately."

Check that.

Brent is dead last in OPS - only mcpherson is worse overall and he has 11 at bats so far. Vizquel is the only guy batting .300 on the team. Kind of a no-brainer if Ozzie is looking for offense which position benefits the most. Omar doesn't have the range - but he's no hack over there.

Also... every pop-up Dunn and Konerko hits isn't the highest "major league" pop-up hit all year.

Madvora
05-27-2011, 07:49 PM
"That ball hit deep, stretch!"

Check that.

Hawk's perception of flyballs over the last four years or so has gone drastically downhill. He seriously can't tell anymore and he's way off a LOT.

EMachine10
05-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I love Hawk and don't want to bash him - but can we just dedicate a thread to keep him in check with some of the stuff he says on the air?

For instance "I was reading some of the comments by Ozzie and he mentioned Brent is a much better 3rd baseman than Omar. And he's been swinging the bat VERY well lately."

Check that.

Brent is dead last in OPS - only mcpherson is worse overall and he has 11 at bats so far. Vizquel is the only guy batting .300 on the team. Kind of a no-brainer if Ozzie is looking for offense which position benefits the most. Omar doesn't have the range - but he's no hack over there.

Also... every pop-up Dunn and Konerko hits isn't the highest "major league" pop-up hit all year.
Sure, he may be dead last in OPS, but the key word in his statement was lately. After such a slow start, plus virtually no OBP since he doesn't walk, his OPS will not recover greatly during a recent turn-around. I'd say, just by watching him, he looks better lately. I haven't seen his recent stats.

balke
05-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Sure, he may be dead last in OPS, but the key word in his statement was lately. After such a slow start, plus virtually no OBP since he doesn't walk, his OPS will not recover greatly during a recent turn-around. I'd say, just by watching him, he looks better lately. I haven't seen his recent stats.

He's hit decently in May - .286 with 1 hr. Its not like he's being wasted on the bench. Omar has hit .344 in May. Just seems devious to assume a guy who is not even expected to hit by most people coming into the season - is being touted by Hawk as the better option at 3B when Omar is the best hitter for average the Sox have - and they are desperate for contact - let alone hits.