PDA

View Full Version : 6-Man Rotation Benefits

ShooterMcGavin
05-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Due to the lack of days off on the schedule in the first half of the season, I think the 6-man rotation could benefit the Sox more than the 5-man rotation for a few reasons:

1. The 32-year-old Buehrle has logged a ton of innings each year in his career and could be stronger in August and September by pitching fewer total innings this season.

2. Peavy is returning from a substantial absence because of surgery. It's possible he could also benefit from a reduced work load in the 6-man rotation, allowing him to stay off of the DL.

3. I learned from an informed poster here at WSI that Humber has never pitched more than 150 innings in a season. A reduced work load could also benefit him by lowering the total amount of innings he will pitch this season.

Based on the Sox starting personnel and lack of days off, in theory it appears 3 of the team's 6 starters could pitch better, longer into the season and lower chance of injury.

A negative of the 6-man rotation is over-pitching Crain and Santos, causing them to be exhausted later in the season and/or increasing their chances of injury if they are forced to pitch more often and more innings this season than normal. But if Sale and Thornton improve close to their performances of 2010, that negative is greatly reduced.

JermaineDye05
05-27-2011, 06:04 PM
You also see more of Tony Pena as a result.

They need to go back to the five man, but I don't know who goes to the bullpen though.

You can't really trade anyone with the uncertainty that surrounds both Peavy and Humber.

balke
05-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Also if Danks get that blistered/blue finger he seems to get every year midseason he could skip a start.

I could go either way. I just am not comfortable with a trade just yet cause 6 starting pitchers could easily become 4.

chisoxfanatic
05-28-2011, 02:58 PM
I'm worried about them going back to a 5-man rotation without the services of Humber, who has probably been the most pleasant surprise for our pitching staff this season. I know he's making lots more money, but I'd choose to ditch Jackson WAY before Humber.

DumpJerry
05-28-2011, 05:16 PM
...it allows Floyd to come out of the Pen in 13th.

Of course, with a seven man Pen, that would not be necessary (yet).

Frater Perdurabo
05-28-2011, 05:27 PM
...it allows Floyd to come out of the Pen in 13th.

Of course, with a seven man Pen, that would not be necessary (yet).

It allows Floyd to pick up another loss.

#1swisher
05-29-2011, 11:52 AM
You also see more of Tony Pena as a result.

They need to go back to the five man, but I don't know who goes to the bullpen though.

You can't really trade anyone with the uncertainty that surrounds both Peavy and Humber.

Merkin @WhiteSox (http://twitter.com/?lang=en&logged_out=1#%21/whitesox)

RHP Tony Pena to DL with elbow tendinitis; RHP Lucas Harrell brought up.

chisoxfanatic
05-29-2011, 04:19 PM
After today's performance, I'd like to elect John Danks as the guy to lose his rotation spot if Ozzie goes back to a 5-man rotation.

Zakath
05-29-2011, 11:45 PM
After today's performance, I'd like to elect John Danks as the guy to lose his rotation spot if Ozzie goes back to a 5-man rotation.

Seriously. You could credit a lot of his losses to lack of run support, but some of his latest outings have just been bad. Just the first inning alone should give you an indication of how his confidence is shot.

russ99
05-31-2011, 09:16 PM
After Humber's outing tonight, it's gotta be either Jackson or Danks to the pen when we go back to a 5 man rotation on Friday.

I'm leaning towards Jackson. He's gone after this year, his stuff could translate well to the pen, and if we put Danks there it could mess him up even more.

Danryan
05-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Russ, your probably right. Makes you really question the Hudson for Jackson trade.

russ99
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Russ, your probably right. Makes you really question the Hudson for Jackson trade.

Naw, that trade was made for last year. Plus, Humber's done better than Hudson this year facing vastly better AL hitting.