PDA

View Full Version : Progress on new team store

grv1974
05-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Has anybody been to the park recently and seen the progress on the new team store?

russ99
05-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Is the store going to be in that area of the building below the concourse just west of Bacardi in the Park?

If not, they have a long way to go, as there's barely a foundation in the ground in the fenced off construction area to the east. That would be a better place to put the store since it's directly between the CTA/Metra and Gate 5.

Edit - from the press release:
The White Sox, Sportservice and Chicago-based architect RGLA are targeting the fall of 2011 for the store's grand opening. It will be located just east of Gate 5 of U.S. Cellular Field, adjacent to the ballpark's new bar/restaurant Bacardi at the Park, near 35th Street and Wentworth Avenue. The new store will be open year round.

MeteorsSox4367
05-27-2011, 08:55 AM
The old tree with the cool sign about selling tickets is still up and within the construction area. Hopefully, that won't be removed as a result.

chisoxfanatic
05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Is the store going to be in that area of the building below the concourse just west of Bacardi in the Park?

If not, they have a long way to go, as there's barely a foundation in the ground in the fenced off construction area to the east. That would be a better place to put the store since it's directly between the CTA/Metra and Gate 5.

Edit - from the press release:
Great! It'll be open just in time for the World Series run.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-27-2011, 01:26 PM
And what's the damn name for the store? Contest has been over for weeks. :D:

grv1974
05-27-2011, 03:34 PM

I have a strange feeling they just made up the whole contest thing so that they could get ideas from a whole bunch of people. Then, they'll take one of those ideas, slightly change it, and then claim that they just used one of their own ideas and say that no one won.

grv1974
06-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Has anybody been to the park recently and seen the progress on the new team store?

StillMissOzzie
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
We were at the game Sunday and from the looks of it, not any time soon. Someone else had a quote of the fall of 2011 for that place to be up and running, it is gonna have to grow like a weed.

SMO
:gulp:

Railsplitter
06-15-2011, 09:43 AM

Was at the park Saturday night, and overheard someboyd asking the question,. The answer was October.

Alexei4president
06-15-2011, 10:46 AM
we wont have it unless we go to the world series or somthing...stilll has a long way to go :(

DumpJerry
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
we wont have it unless we go to the world series or somthing...stilll has a long way to go :(
:scratch: So, they'll stop construction if the Sox don't make the World Series?

CLUBHOUSE KID
06-15-2011, 03:32 PM
He probably means no store by October if the team fails to make the WS/Post-season. Anyway, I pass it everyday and let's just say what DJ says: They got some work to do!

DumpJerry
06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
I drove by yesterday afternoon, they were pouring cement.

chisoxfanatic
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
I drove by yesterday afternoon, they were pouring cement.
I drove past it a couple hours ago, and there are two columns of vertical cement beams that are positioned at an angle. I'm thinking they might be the support for the entryway. Anyways, I wouldn't see this thing being ready until the offseason.

DumpJerry
06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
I drove past it a couple hours ago, and there are two columns of vertical cement beams that are positioned at an angle. I'm thinking they might be the support for the entryway. Anyways, I wouldn't see this thing being ready until the offseason.
Those have been there for a week or two.

grv1974
07-03-2011, 05:16 PM

CLUBHOUSE KID
07-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Still nothing more than a construction site.

grv1974
07-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Has anybody been to the park recently and seen the progress on the new team store? Is it just a fence with a "coming soon" kinda sign or is there an actual structure going up?

roylestillman
07-14-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to scratch my head as to why you keep asking this, but I was by there today and it appears all of the structural steel is up, but a finished store is a ways away. Wouldn't doubt that they are shooting for it to be open in time for Christmas shopping, though.

grv1974
07-14-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm starting to scratch my head as to why you keep asking this, but I was by there today and it appears all of the structural steel is up, but a finished store is a ways away. Wouldn't doubt that they are shooting for it to be open in time for Christmas shopping, though.

'Cause it's the only thing worth looking forward to this year (plus I can't make it down there, myself, this year.) :D:

DumpJerry
07-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Has anybody been to the park recently and seen the progress on the new team store? Is it just a fence with a "coming soon" kinda sign or is there an actual structure going up?
Drove by tonight. Nothing but a deep hole in ground.

grv1974
08-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Since last month, has anybody been to a home game and noticed any progress on the new team shop?

ChiSoxGirl
08-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Since last month, has anybody been to a home game and noticed any progress on the new team shop?

I was at the game on July 31 and saw a sign that the store will be opening in November... just in time for the holiday season.

grv1974
08-17-2011, 12:30 AM
I was at the game on July 31 and saw a sign that the store will be opening in November... just in time for the holiday season.

Did you see any structure going up?

ChiSoxGirl
08-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Did you see any structure going up?

Yes. Steel beams were place and part of a cement foundation had been poured.

grv1974
08-17-2011, 12:32 AM
Yes. Steel beams were place and part of a cement foundation had been poured.

Yesssss!! Finally. :D:

GlassSox
08-17-2011, 12:34 AM
The sign says Opening in November

grv1974
09-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Is anyone going to the game tonight or anytime this series? If so, take some pics of the progress (or lack of) on the new teamstore.

kittle42
09-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Why are you so excited about this team store?

Lip Man 1
09-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe he's going to work there?

Lip

GoGoCrede
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Can't you call them directly? Although your posts in thread have been amusing.

grv1974
09-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Why are you so excited about this team store?

I apologize, Skittles. It won't happen again.

grv1974
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Can't you call them directly? Although your posts in thread have been amusing.

I aim to please.

DumpJerry
09-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Is anyone going to the game tonight or anytime this series? If so, take some pics of the progress (or lack of) on the new teamstore.
They tore it down. The name of the store was imbedded in the concrete facade.

Oh, what was the name? "Dunn's White Sox Store"

grv1974
09-08-2011, 04:37 PM
They tore it down. The name of the store was imbedded in the concrete facade.

Oh, what was the name? "Dunn's White Sox Store"

Crap, I knew it........

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2011, 05:19 PM

I might be going next Tuesday. If so, I'll tut to remember to take some photos.

Brian26
09-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I apologize, Skittles. It won't happen again.

Knock it off.

yazz32
09-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Latest Concept Pictures with the official name as
Chicago Sports Depot.

http://www.facebook.com/chicagowhitesoxteamstore#!/media/set/?set=a.188489704555910.45812.117908068280741&type=1

skobabe8
09-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Latest Concept Pictures with the official name as
Chicago Sports Depot.

http://www.facebook.com/chicagowhitesoxteamstore#!/media/set/?set=a.188489704555910.45812.117908068280741&type=1

Looks good. Smart move to be a Bulls/Hawks/Bears/Sox store.

dickallen15
09-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Looks good. Smart move to be a Bulls/Hawks/Bears/Sox store.

Aparently you need a trophy to join the club. So no Cubs.

Domeshot17
09-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Finally, a store that won't make the grandstand seem so horrendously overpriced!

DumpJerry
09-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Aparently you need a trophy to join the club. So no Cubs.
No. Just be a major league franchise.

dickallen15
09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Finally, a store that won't make the grandstand seem so horrendously overpriced!

That's gold.

MARTINMVP
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Smart move to add Bulls and Hawks stuff. Realistically, an all White Sox team store open 365 or thereabouts isn't likely to be a huge draw on non game days, and especially during the offseason. Add more commodities that is likely to draw more people.

skobabe8
09-12-2011, 04:15 PM
This is for you, grv1974:

CPditka
11-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Guessing no one named it the Chicago Sports Depot.

salty99
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
The store opens Nov. 19th.

kittle42
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
The store opens Nov. 19th.

Merchandise will be flying off the shelves.

Foulke You
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
Talked to the clubhouse store manager on Wednesday. She says the new store will be amazing and one of the best in all of baseball. It will carry White Sox, Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears, and some of the "local" college teams as well like Northwestern, Illinois, etc.

WhiffleBall
11-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Just got an invite for a season ticket holder only preview event. Includes free food and drink at Barcardi at the Park and a 25% discount at the store.

kittle42
11-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Just got an invite for a season ticket holder only preview event. Includes free food and drink at Barcardi at the Park and a 25% discount at the store.

What's the date?

WhiffleBall
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
What's the date?

11-17. Need to RSVP which is non-transferable.

palehosepub
11-04-2011, 05:04 PM
got my invite seems like a nice deal -free food and drinks and a 25%discount -might pick up an Xmas present or two

Jerko
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Damn didn't get an invite. Might get a lot of Christmas shopping done there though. :smile:

Jerko
11-06-2011, 09:29 AM
I went to see if I had an invitation in my online account, and I saw this:

• Dec •
Fri

Tracking Event
5:30 PM || US Cellular Field Patio

Anybody else get one or know what the hell it is?

soxfan21
11-06-2011, 10:57 AM

• Dec •
Fri

Tracking Event

I got the same thing, don't know what it is/means.

DumpJerry
11-06-2011, 10:58 AM

• Dec •
Fri

Tracking Event

That's been on my account for a few weeks.

I've been out of town since Thursday. Are these invites arriving by snail mail or email? I have not received anything online yet.

Jerko
11-10-2011, 01:40 PM
From my rep:

Hi Frank,

That’s nothing to worry about. For some reason that is showing up in accounts when we are switching everything over from 2011 to 2012. Please disregard.

DAMN no party I guess. :tongue:

Milw
11-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Talked to the clubhouse store manager on Wednesday. She says the new store will be amazing and one of the best in all of baseball. It will carry White Sox, Blackhawks, Bulls, Bears, and some of the "local" college teams as well like Northwestern, Illinois, etc.
According to the Facebook page for the store (http://www.facebook.com/ChiSportsDepot), they'll have Cubs gear. I'm not OK with that. If they have Cubs gear in relative proportion to other MLB teams (i.e. a section of hats) then that's one thing, but if they give the Cubs space comparable to the Bears/Bulls/Hawks, that's not OK.

Foulke You
11-10-2011, 03:06 PM
According to the Facebook page for the store (http://www.facebook.com/ChiSportsDepot), they'll have Cubs gear. I'm not OK with that. If they have Cubs gear in relative proportion to other MLB teams (i.e. a section of hats) then that's one thing, but if they give the Cubs space comparable to the Bears/Bulls/Hawks, that's not OK.
100% agreement with you there. This is the official store of the White Sox. There should be no Cubs gear there. She made no mention of Cubs when I talked to her and I thought that meant they weren't carrying it. You won't find Mets gear in the official store of the Yankees, you won't find Sox gear in the Cubs official store, etc. The Sox shouldn't have it either. I agree that if they have a mix of MLB stuff and Cubs gear is included there, that is fine. They should not have their own section.

hi im skot
11-10-2011, 03:15 PM

Where does it say they'll have Cubs gear?

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 03:22 PM

100% agreement with you there. This is the official store of the White Sox. There should be no Cubs gear there. She made no mention of Cubs when I talked to her and I thought that meant they weren't carrying it. You won't find Mets gear in the official store of the Yankees, you won't find Sox gear in the Cubs official store, etc. The Sox shouldn't have it either. I agree that if they have a mix of MLB stuff and Cubs gear is included there, that is fine. They should not have their own section.
They must have removed the reference to the Cub stuff. As long as they don't give away the Cub stuff for free, I have no problem with selling Cub stuff-it's more money for the Sox to spend on free agents. Grandstand has a ton of Cub stuff, nobody has ever complained about that.

Milw
11-10-2011, 03:51 PM
They must have removed the reference to the Cub stuff. As long as they don't give away the Cub stuff for free, I have no problem with selling Cub stuff-it's more money for the Sox to spend on free agents. Grandstand has a ton of Cub stuff, nobody has ever complained about that.
Grandstand isn't affiliated in any formal way with the White Sox.

hi im skot
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Grandstand isn't affiliated in any formal way with the White Sox.

I know this sounds like a nothing answer, but they kind of are.

Milw
11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Where does it say they'll have Cubs gear?
They took down the post because it received so much negative feedback. (The post said something to the effect of "We'll be selling all Chicago teams--White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Fire and Cubs.")

Hopefully they got the message, but I rather doubt it.

chisoxfanatic
11-10-2011, 03:54 PM
From my rep:

Hi Frank,

That’s nothing to worry about. For some reason that is showing up in accounts when we are switching everything over from 2011 to 2012. Please disregard.

DAMN no party I guess. :tongue:
I got an invite and am not even a season ticket holder! :neener:

I just filled out the invite form and am bringing a friend with me. I'm looking forward to the free food and drinks and getting some of my Christmas shopping done!

I'll post some comments and maybe a photo or two.

Milw
11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I know this sounds like a nothing answer, but they kind of are.
Grandstand doesn't advertise in the ballpark, it doesn't have a presence on the team website, and it isn't an operating arm of the organization. The team store (Chicago Sports Depot, it appears they're now calling it) is, in fact, all of those. I hope you can see the difference.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 04:03 PM
They took down the post because it received so much negative feedback. (The post said something to the effect of "We'll be selling all Chicago teams--White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks, Fire and Cubs.")

Hopefully they got the message, but I rather doubt it.
Much ado about nothing. It's not like it's a religious store which is affiliated with the XYZ Religion selling materials which promotes the ABC Religion.

It's a retail outlet that will create revenues for the White Sox. If selling Cub stuff helps achieve that goal, so be it. They're not forcing you to buy the Cub stuff or attend Cub events.

Nellie_Fox
11-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Much ado about nothing. It's not like it's a religious store which is affiliated with the XYZ Religion selling materials which promotes the ABC Religion.

It's a retail outlet that will create revenues for the White Sox. If selling Cub stuff helps achieve that goal, so be it. They're not forcing you to buy the Cub stuff or attend Cub events.If you owned a Ford dealership, would you sell stuff promoting Chevrolet to "create revenue?" I think not.

Foulke You
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM

It's a retail outlet that will create revenues for the White Sox. If selling Cub stuff helps achieve that goal, so be it. They're not forcing you to buy the Cub stuff or attend Cub events.
You make a solid point. However, I think that the Sox need to be sensitive to the emotions of their fanbase (i.e. their primary customers) as well. Let's face it, the overall reaction to a Cubs merchandise section being in the "official" White Sox store is going to be a negative one. Shouldn't the Sox store be catering to Sox fans first? If having Cubs stuff is going to be piss off a large contingent of your customer base, wouldn't it be wise to avoid that scenario instead of cashing in on the few Cubs fans that might wander into that store?

MeteorsSox4367
11-10-2011, 04:19 PM
When I drove past this afternoon, they were hanging what appeared to be trophies on the outside of the store. It also looked as if some merchandise had been placed on the racks.

I also commend the Sox for not cutting down the tree on 35th Street that is a reminder of Comiskey Park.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 04:38 PM
If you owned a Ford dealership, would you sell stuff promoting Chevrolet to "create revenue?" I think not.
The difference is that Ford and Chevy compete with each for the limited resource of the car buying public. The Sox and Cubs are not in the same position-many people go to games at both ballparks. Also, selling a tee shirt that says "Cubs" on it does not promote the product the way a brochure about the Camaro at a Ford dealership does.

hi im skot
11-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Grandstand doesn't advertise in the ballpark, it doesn't have a presence on the team website, and it isn't an operating arm of the organization. The team store (Chicago Sports Depot, it appears they're now calling it) is, in fact, all of those. I hope you can see the difference.

I see the difference, but I can tell you with 100% confidence that Grandstand works extremely closely with the entire organization.

For what it's worth, of course.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
I see the difference, but I can tell you with 100% confidence that Grandstand works extremely closely with the entire organization.

Grandstand sells White Sox gift cards and accepts them on purchases. These are issued by the team.

Milw
11-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I'm not doubting you. I'm saying the relationship Grandstand has with the team and the relationship that the OFFICIAL TEAM SHOP has with the team are not parallel.

Milw
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
The difference is that Ford and Chevy compete with each for the limited resource of the car buying public. The Sox and Cubs are not in the same position-many people go to games at both ballparks. Also, selling a tee shirt that says "Cubs" on it does not promote the product the way a brochure about the Camaro at a Ford dealership does.
Sure, many people go to games at both parks... but many more don't. Baseball allegiance in this city isn't exactly a zero sum game, but it's not far off. If you don't think the Cubs and Sox are direct competitors in a business sense, you're delusional.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 05:00 PM
Sure, many people go to games at both parks... but many more don't. Baseball allegiance in this city isn't exactly a zero sum game, but it's not far off. If you don't think the Cubs and Sox are direct competitors in a business sense, you're delusional.
How are they direct competitors? Even though we disapprove, you can be a fan of both teams. You can be a baseball fan in general with no strong allegiance to one particular team.

Except for the six times the teams play each other, there is nothing other than your emotions that prevent you from cheering on the Cubs and Sox. Of course, most of us (including me) would think you're a fool to do so, but there is nothing to preclude that.

What about the families where one kid likes the Cubs and one likes the Sox? Should they keep the Cub kid at home when they go to the store? We had that situation in my family-my brother is a Cub fan. We solved that problem by forcing him to move to Cleveland.

Milw
11-10-2011, 05:12 PM
How are they direct competitors? Even though we disapprove, you can be a fan of both teams. You can be a baseball fan in general with no strong allegiance to one particular team.

Except for the six times the teams play each other, there is nothing other than your emotions that prevent you from cheering on the Cubs and Sox. Of course, most of us (including me) would think you're a fool to do so, but there is nothing to preclude that.

What about the families where one kid likes the Cubs and one likes the Sox? Should they keep the Cub kid at home when they go to the store? We had that situation in my family-my brother is a Cub fan. We solved that problem by forcing him to move to Cleveland.
They're competitors because, whether you have it spelled out in a budget spreadsheet or it's just a rough number in your head, people have a finite budget they're willing to spend in a given month/season/year on baseball. That's especially true in a down economy and in a city like Chicago that has so many other options for your entertainment dollar. So when Joe Casualfan goes to a game at Wrigley, that's one fewer game he's going to go to at the Cell. Maybe it's not that precise from person to person, but collectively over the course of a season for hundreds of thousands of people, that's going to average out.

More to the point: When the Cubs do well, it's less media attention for the Sox, which means less fans for the Sox, which means less payroll for the Sox. (It's true in the inverse, but to a far less degree because the Cubs are the Cubs.)

Now, you're probably right to say that the Sox selling Cubs jerseys in their store has a negligible impact on any of that. But you're completely wrong to say that the Cubs and Sox are not business competitors. And you should never promote your competition.

DumpJerry
11-10-2011, 05:15 PM
They're competitors because, whether you have it spelled out in a budget spreadsheet or it's just a rough number in your head, people have a finite budget they're willing to spend in a given month/season/year on baseball. That's especially true in a down economy and in a city like Chicago that has so many other options for your entertainment dollar. So when Joe Casualfan goes to a game at Wrigley, that's one fewer game he's going to go to at the Cell. Maybe it's not that precise from person to person, but collectively over the course of a season for hundreds of thousands of people, that's going to average out.

More to the point: When the Cubs do well, it's less media attention for the Sox, which means less fans for the Sox, which means less payroll for the Sox. (It's true in the inverse, but to a far less degree because the Cubs are the Cubs.)

Now, you're probably right to say that the Sox selling Cubs jerseys in their store has a negligible impact on any of that. But you're completely wrong to say that the Cubs and Sox are not business competitors. And you should never promote your competition.
You can just as easily say that going to a ballgame means you won't be going to a movie the next weekend because you spent the money at the game.

The Sox' attendance drops not in relation to media coverage, but in relation to how well the team is doing. This happens to 28 other teams in MLB. The two exceptions are the Cubs who draw no matter what and the Rays who don't draw no matter what.

Brian26
11-10-2011, 07:43 PM

Grandstand sells White Sox gift cards and accepts them on purchases. These are issued by the team.

Both correct. Grandstand is also the only outside vendor allowed to work on White Sox property on game day. They sell peanuts outside Gate 5.

Nellie_Fox
11-11-2011, 12:03 AM
The difference is that Ford and Chevy compete with each for the limited resource of the car buying public. The Sox and Cubs are not in the same position-many people go to games at both ballparks.Very little difference. People have limited resources for entertainment. They're only going to spend so much in a given year going to baseball games. A Cubs game attended is a Sox game that won't be attended for most people.

Also, selling a tee shirt that says "Cubs" on it does not promote the product the way a brochure about the Camaro at a Ford dealership does.OF COURSE IT DOES!

skobabe8
11-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Beat me too it.

They have a relationship that is generations old through the family, so its not as official and formal as other businesses.

Golden Sox
11-11-2011, 08:04 AM
The only Cubs item that should be sold at the new store is Cubs toilet paper.

doublem23
11-11-2011, 08:33 AM
If you owned a Ford dealership, would you sell stuff promoting Chevrolet to "create revenue?" I think not.

Bingo.

salty99
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
The only Cubs item that should be sold at the new store is Cubs toilet paper.

I disagree. I think large L flags should also be sold.

DumpJerry
11-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Here's the bottom line on selling other team's (including the Cubs) stuff at the store:
1. The Sox store selling Cub shirts, etc. will not create new Cub fans. The people who buy the Cub stuff at the Sox store were already in the frame of mind to buy the product. Might as well line the pockets of the White Sox and not someone else on the sale.
2. The store will not be a point of sale for Cub tickets or Cub season tickets. So the sale or display of Cub shirts will not cause the Sox to lose out on ticket sales during the baseball season.
3. Complaining about having Cub merchandise for sale in a store is just plain silly. It's not like the Sox are making us salute the Cubs during a Sox game at Comiskey. Hell, they don't even show highlights of Cub games when they show highlights of other sporting events during the Sox game.

TomBradley72
11-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Here's the bottom line on selling other team's (including the Cubs) stuff at the store:
1. The Sox store selling Cub shirts, etc. will not create new Cub fans. The people who buy the Cub stuff at the Sox store were already in the frame of mind to buy the product. Might as well line the pockets of the White Sox and not someone else on the sale.
2. The store will not be a point of sale for Cub tickets or Cub season tickets. So the sale or display of Cub shirts will not cause the Sox to lose out on ticket sales during the baseball season.
3. Complaining about having Cub merchandise for sale in a store is just plain silly. It's not like the Sox are making us salute the Cubs during a Sox game at Comiskey. Hell, they don't even show highlights of Cub games when they show highlights of other sporting events during the Sox game.

I don't think they should sell Cubs stuff there- the overall volume would be pretty small- so I wouldn't see a big revenue impact either way.

I've been to the Giants store at their ballpark- they do not sell Athletics stuff in that store- I can't speak for the Mets/Yankees or Angels/Dodgers.

bridgeportcopper
11-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Both correct. Grandstand is also the only outside vendor allowed to work on White Sox property on game day. They sell peanuts outside Gate 5.

I'm pretty certain Grandstand runs all those trailers that sell souvenirs in the parking lots.

hi im skot
11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm pretty certain Grandstand runs all those trailers that sell souvenirs in the parking lots.

Those are actually run by Chicago Sports & Novelty.

grv1974
11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I disagree. I think large L flags should also be sold.

:bandance:

bridgeportcopper
11-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Those are actually run by Chicago Sports & Novelty.

Grandstand definitely has their hand in that, those stands are stored in the building (right next to the Chinese auto repair shop on 35th street), I don't know what the relationship is.

dickallen15
11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
New Era is opening a store at State and Adams soon. I think maybe tomorrow.

hi im skot
11-11-2011, 06:56 PM

That's good to know. I'd really like to check that out.

doublem23
11-11-2011, 09:02 PM

1st multilevel store in the country

Golden Sox
11-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Do the bad guys on the northside sell any White Sox items in any of there team stores inside there park? I haven't been there in years, but I would find it highly unlikely they sell any White Sox items. That being the case, why in the world would the new White Sox team store sell items of the bad guys from the northside?

DumpJerry
11-13-2011, 07:37 AM
Do the bad guys on the northside sell any White Sox items in any of there team stores inside there park? I haven't been there in years, but I would find it highly unlikely they sell any White Sox items. That being the case, why in the world would the new White Sox team store sell items of the bad guys from the northside?
This store is outside of Comiskey. It is open to the general public. I'm sure they sell Sox hats inside The Urinal, I get the impression MLB requires it since I've seen all 30 teams representing in the other MLB parks's gift shops I've been to.

robertks61
11-13-2011, 09:23 AM

Yes, I bought my authentic 2005 jersey with the WS patch at one of the stores near Wrigley in January 2006. I phoned first!

ChiSoxGirl
11-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Yes, I bought my authentic 2005 jersey with the WS patch at one of the stores near Wrigley in January 2006. I phoned first!

I got a Podsednik player tee with the World Series logo on the sleeve from wrigleyvillesports.com in 2006, as well.

BTW, has anyone been able to find the daily hours of operation for this new store? I'm thinking of going down to check it out the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but am not sure if they'll even be open on Sundays....

chisoxfanatic
11-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I got a Podsednik player tee with the World Series logo on the sleeve from wrigleyvillesports.com in 2006, as well.

BTW, has anyone been able to find the daily hours of operation for this new store? I'm thinking of going down to check it out the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but am not sure if they'll even be open on Sundays....
No, but I'll be sure to find out when I go to the preview party on Thursday night.

DumpJerry
11-13-2011, 01:26 PM

https://www.facebook.com/ChiSportsDepot?sk=info

Milw
11-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Does seriously nobody here recognize the difference between an official store operated by the team and an independent store?

hi im skot
11-13-2011, 09:59 PM
Does seriously nobody here recognize the difference between an official store operated by the team and an independent store?

Nobody said they were buying Sox gear at Wrigley, just in places right next to Wrigley. Like Grandstand (as I pointed out in this thread), it's possible that some of these places have an "unofficial" relationship with the team that happens to be in the same neighborhood as the store.

DumpJerry
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Yeah, the prices at the "official" store are higher. That's the difference. Grandstand also is not a MLB store, so they are not bound by MLB Licensing when it comes to doing creative lettering on jerseys.

#1swisher
11-14-2011, 10:56 AM
@ChiSportsDepot

Join us for our Grand Opening 11/19 10AM 4 25% off until 1pm!

CLUBHOUSE KID
11-14-2011, 02:14 PM
That's good to know. I'd really like to check that out.

Saw the New Era store today before I even saw it on here. Looks cool. Lids is down the block (North) of it.

The team store looks great. I pass it everyday. Made lots of progress on it this month.

KnightSox
11-14-2011, 02:56 PM
1st multilevel store in the countryIt'll hold the record for most ugly hats in one facility.

doublem23
11-16-2011, 03:47 PM
They just posted a few pics of the finished product inside on their Facebook page. Didn't see a single Cubs item. Also, they have a few spots where they have the city team logos, so far have seen Bears, Sox, Bulls, Hawks. No Cubs.

Hopefully a win for common sense.

DumpJerry
11-16-2011, 04:44 PM
They just posted a few pics of the finished product inside on their Facebook page. Didn't see a single Cubs item. Also, they have a few spots where they have the city team logos, so far have seen Bears, Sox, Bulls, Hawks. No Cubs.

When I go on Thursday, I'll check the boiler room near Milton's cubicle to see if that is where they stash the Cub junk.

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2011, 05:00 PM
So, who else will be at the preview party tomorrow night?

Nelfox02
11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
has anyone heard what former sox will be there on Saturday?

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2011, 07:25 PM
has anyone heard what former sox will be there on Saturday?
I'm wondering about tomorrow night as well. The invitation stated that some Chicago sports stars were going to be present tomorrow.

Fenway
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
Turns out the owner of the Boston Bruins will be at the opening....and for good reason.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2011/10/27/delaware-north-set-to-launch-chicago.html

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Turns out the owner of the Boston Bruins will be at the opening....and for good reason.

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2011/10/27/delaware-north-set-to-launch-chicago.html
Does this mean I might see THE BEAR? :tongue:

Fenway
11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Does this mean I might see THE BEAR? :tongue:

Just might -he is a big fan of your football team :tongue:

DumpJerry
11-16-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm wondering about tomorrow night as well. The invitation stated that some Chicago sports stars were going to be present tomorrow.
They were listed in the email the went out a couple of days ago to those of us who RSVP'd.

16th&State
11-16-2011, 10:11 PM

I walked by it last night. Bears, Sox, Bulls, Hawks logos out front. No Cubs!:) I could see a small section of Cubs merch from the window, but it didn't look any bigger than say the Hawks section. Small victories!

chisoxfanatic
11-16-2011, 11:46 PM
They were listed in the email the went out a couple of days ago to those of us who RSVP'd.

Not my confirmation email.

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Not my confirmation email.
It's a bunch of guys from Uncle Jerry's other team since they have nothing else to do these days.

salty99
11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
It's a bunch of guys from Uncle Jerry's other team since they have nothing else to do these days.

I didn't get any names in mine either.

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Sigh....I guess I'm the only one who gets emails around here.

Special guest appearances will be held inside Chicago Sports Depot throughout the event. The guests include former Chicago Bulls star Sidney Green, former Chicago White Sox star Carlos May, as well as Staley Da Bear, Benny the Bull, Southpaw, and the Chicago White Sox Chevrolet Pride Crew.

salty99
11-17-2011, 04:25 PM
For tonight there will be appearances by: Sid Green, Carlos May, mascots Benny the Bull, Southpaw, and Staley da Bear, as well as the Chevrolet Pride Crew

Friday: Bob Love, Ron Kittle, mascots Southpaw and Tommy Hawk, and the Chevrolet Pride Crew

Saturday: Minnie Minoso, Southpaw, and the Chevrolet Pride Crew

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Just got back. Nice store, very wide aisles unlike the gift shop in the park. There is one stand alone rack and two holders on the wall with Cub stuff. If there were a total of 30 Cub items, that would be an overestimate. On the walls, they have the logos of 80% of the teams in Chicago.They also have pictures of all the Chicago teams celebrating title wins who won titles (so, the Cubs don't even fit in there).

ChiSoxGirl
11-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Just got back. Nice store, very wide aisles unlike the gift shop in the park. There is one stand alone rack and two holders on the wall with Cub stuff. If there were a total of 30 Cub items, that would be an overestimate. On the walls, they have the logos of 80% of the teams in Chicago.They also have pictures of all the Chicago teams celebrating title wins who won titles (so, the Cubs don't even fit in there).

I've seen that in the pictures they've posted on Facebook and it looks awesome! I can't wait to get down there next weekend to check out the store for myself!

grv1974
11-17-2011, 08:30 PM
I've seen that in the pictures they've posted on Facebook and it looks awesome! I can't wait to get down there next weekend to check out the store for myself!

Did they have Chicago Fire stuff?

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Did they have Chicago Fire stuff?
Did not see any. It was mostly White Sox. The Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks are also well represented. There were some colleges (Big Ten and Notre Dame) represented.

Foulke You
11-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Just got back from the pre-opening event. Had a great time. Agree with most of what Dump Jerry said. For those worried about the Cubs section (as I was), unless you were looking for it you would almost miss it. It is really that small. It almost doesn't even register compared to the other stuff in the store.

They really did a nice job on the decor too. Lots of pix of the Chicago teams celebrating championships but mostly 2005 World Series stuff. They have the 4 stars from the Chicago flag featured behind the main cash register aisle. The store is well lit, roomy, has a great selection, and the staff was extremely friendly. The custom T-shirt shop from the concourses now has a permanent home on the 2nd level of the store so you can make any shirt you want year round now. One of the coolest features of the store is a stand alone showcase in the center of the store that has the real 2005 World Series Trophy, American League Trophy, and a World Series ring for those that want to bask in its awesomeness.

I found my new dugout knit winter hat, got to drink free beer next to Bill Wennington, and received a massage from the Bears mascot who loved me for some reason. :cool: All in all, Mrs. Foulke You and I had a great evening. I would definitely return in the offseason to do some shopping. Prices are to be expected though. You won't find any bargains here but the selection is fantastic.

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Just got back from the pre-opening event. Had a great time. Agree with most of what Dump Jerry said. For those worried about the Cubs section (as I was), unless you were looking for it you would almost miss it. It is really that small. It almost doesn't even register compared to the other stuff in the store.
I was standing next to it for a few minutes before I noticed it. It was that well hidden in the back.

The prices weren't any different from those I've seen at Grandstand for the jerserys. The White Sox hockey jerseys were $105 (before the 25% discount). My friend who bought a few years back at Triple Threat said his was around $160 at TT.

Nelfox02
11-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Do they let you park in the stadium lot?

chisoxfanatic
11-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Yep. You park in the lot with Old Comiskey's home plate in it.

I too was there, and the free appetizers and free chardonnay filled me up plenty tonight.

There were only three pieces of non-Chicago professional apparel that I noticed: Milan Lucic sweater and Pujols/Jeter jerseys.

I thought the mix of other Chicago teams was decent. And, the whole upper level had a lot of the same stuff you'd find at the gift shops inside of the ballpark (it had its own customized shirt stand). I liked the pictures painted on the walls inside of the store. As you descend the stairs from the upstairs part, you can see the field set up for Game 1 of the World Series, as well as Paul Konerko pimping it after his grand slam. They had the World Series and AL trophies in a display case near the staircase. A ring was in there too.

DumpJerry
11-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Lot B.

Foulke You
11-18-2011, 12:31 AM
I was standing next to it for a few minutes before I noticed it. It was that well hidden in the back.

The prices weren't any different from those I've seen at Grandstand for the jerserys. The White Sox hockey jerseys were $105 (before the 25% discount). My friend who bought a few years back at Triple Threat said his was around $160 at TT.
I'd say overall the prices are comparable to Grandstand on most merchandise. However, Chicago Sports Depot seemed to stock more of the replicas with authentic or close to authentic lettering. They only had a handful of the real authentic jerseys on the top racks and in the Cooperstown Collection section. Another thing I noticed was that they had lots of Dayan Viciedo jerseys and jersey Ts available. Juan Pierre jersey Ts were still full price though! :tongue:

palehosepub
11-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Very nice event, the free food and drinks at Bacardi was a nice touch. If you are a fan of retro Sox stuff and I am (flying sock logo, 83 logos. 1930's logo etc.) thay had a lot of that type of stuff in tshirts, hoodies, and sweatshirts. The discount made things reasonable, I would say it is "standard retail pricing" on most things but the pricesdo include the 11% Chicago tax.

dwitt76
11-19-2011, 07:21 PM
Store was awesome. Much better than expected. The murals were good too. Small rack of fire stuff.

#1swisher
11-23-2011, 01:41 PM
ChiSportsDepot

#blackfriday doors open at 10am. Raffle every half hour. $10 off all
purchase over $50. $25 off all purchase over $100.

Fenway
12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Ed Sherman reviews the store

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20111205/BLOGS04/111209925/video-sox-bank-on-new-store-to-draw-more-fans-to-the-cell

and Brooks explains why there is no Cubs logo outside

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20111205/BLOGS04/111209924/video-new-sox-store-downplays-cubs-merchandise

Jerko
12-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Might check it out tomorrow.

EDIT Place was big, had it to myself, and yeah I could go broke in there. They had the custom tshirt stand there like they have inside the park, and a bunch of hats, jerseys and tshirts. They had a "Sox" hockey jersey which was over a hundred beans, but it was more of a glorified long sleeve t than anything, so I passed. I'd give the place a B.