PDA

View Full Version : US vs. World ASG?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:36 PM
Interesting article from Jim Caple (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1403141.html)

Here's his roster:

Piazza
Giambi
Spivey
A-Rod
Hillenbrand
Bonds
Hunter
Green
Schilling
Smoltz

vs.

Posada
Lowell
Soriano
Tejada
Batista
Sosa
Ichiro
Guerrero
Pedro
Gagne

MarqSox
07-08-2002, 04:41 PM
Lame. This isn't the NHL where conferences mean nothing, it's MLB. The leagues -- while admittedly less defined than 20 years ago -- still have enough history to warrant dividing them up that way.

Not to mention, "USA vs. World" is just another way to make Americans think they are superior to everybody else by thinking we're so arrogant that we should take on everybody -- that "Us against them" mentality. We needn't foster that, particularly in today's international climate.

Finally, a World team would clearly identify some players as "foreigners" and others as "Americans." We should be identifying them as "players."

idseer
07-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Interesting article from Jim Caple (http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/caple_jim/1403141.html)

this reminds of the days when my best friend and i played a lot of APBA baseball. any of you know the game? we did the dice version of course as there were no computers at the time.

we came up with every conceivable way to match teams. first part of the alphabet vs the last. states of birth, all hispanic vs usa, black vs white, lefties vs righties, etc.
man those were some fun matchups!

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by idseer

we did the dice version of course as there were no computers at the time.

not really, but i do remember playing dice.......... :D:

kermittheefrog
07-09-2002, 12:32 AM
I think an over 30 vs. under 30 game would be great.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-09-2002, 01:23 AM
North America vs the World sucks in the NHL. It would suck in MLB, too. Just think, we could get the ENTIRE Yankee starting lineup split between two teams, that way.

voodoochile
07-09-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
North America vs the World sucks in the NHL. It would suck in MLB, too. Just think, we could get the ENTIRE Yankee starting lineup split between two teams, that way.

The NHL AS game was basically the Detroit offense V the Detroit defense...

WhiteSoxWinner
07-09-2002, 01:45 AM
What really burned me was two, maybe three, years ago when the Dead Wings had five starters between the World and NA teams, and ESPN tried to say that it hadn't been done since the Pittsburgh Penguins did it in 1992. The Penguins started five guys ON THE SAME TEAM for the Prince of Wales Conference!!! Really cheapened the accomplishment of those Penguins' players.

Mathew
07-09-2002, 03:58 AM
As a Canadian I say I hate the All star World vs. N.A. It makes bad euros make it over deserving others, granted the team can compete. But on Paper the mlb team looks close but depth wise the teams are silly. Just as in hockey I think team Canada "B" would have been a medal contender, yeah the starters could br decent but the volume waters down the competition.

Chisox353014
07-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Do we really need another reason to wave the flag these days?