PDA

View Full Version : David Einhorn Eyes Mets

Viva Medias B's
05-26-2011, 08:01 AM
David Einhorn, a hedge fund manager on Wall Street, is in talks to buy the New York Mets, per CNBC. WFAN in New York is reporting (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/05/26/report-mets-agree-to-sell-minority-stake-to-david-einhorn/) that Mets has agreed to sell a minority stake in the ballclub to David Einhorn for about $200M.

As far as I can tell, he is not related to Eddie Einhorn. Those of you who work in the financial world probably know more about David Einhorn, I presume.

soxfanreggie
05-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Where most WSIers would know him from, he had a nice run at the WSOP a few years back. He was the guy who finished in the top 20 and donated his winnings to the Michael J. Fox foundation (like over $500k)

Einhorn founded Greenlight Capital, and he is famous for short-sales. For those who don't know what that is; you sell the stock now and hope it loses money before you have to buy back the shares. He has obtained a lot of success over the years for his investors, so it is no surprise that he has the money to invest in the team. I know him more though for his Einhorn reinsurance company though (Greenlight Capital RE), but that's the nature of the business I'm in.

C-Dawg
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Where most WSIers would know him from, he had a nice run at the WSOP a few years back.

Still don't know him. What's WSOP?

DSpivack
05-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Still don't know him. What's WSOP?

World Series of Poker.

soxfanatlanta
05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Einhorn founded Greenlight Capital, and he is famous for short-sales. For those who don't know what that is; you sell the stock now and hope it loses money before you have to buy back the shares. He has obtained a lot of success over the years for his investors, so it is no surprise that he has the money to invest in the team. I know him more though for his Einhorn reinsurance company though (Greenlight Capital RE), but that's the nature of the business I'm in.

Perhaps he's figured out a way to short sell the Mets?

DumpJerry
05-26-2011, 01:08 PM
World Series of Poker.
That's a sport?

doublem23
05-26-2011, 01:45 PM
That's a sport?

I don't think anyone in this thread has claimed it is.

soxfanreggie
05-26-2011, 09:33 PM
That's a sport?

No, but I figured more people on WSI would know him from seeing him on ESPN instead of the world of asset and capital management.