PDA

View Full Version : Spanish For Batboys

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Question here...

Do YOU think it should be a requirement for batboys/clubhouse attendants to speak fluent Spanish? Also, would it be okay if someone was hired for that position solely based on this reason (not the best candidate but spoke fluent Spanish)? I disagree. Spanish is not a requirement sent by the MLB also most players speak English. Hell, I can understand Ozzie and people always give him crap. Lastly, why are they not Japanese batboys? I know less Japanese players then Spanish speaking players but most Japanese cannot speak English at all where most players speak BOTH English and Spanish.

The Milkman
05-25-2011, 04:28 PM
:screwloose:

hi im skot
05-25-2011, 04:47 PM
You're asking on behalf of a friend, right?

Over By There
05-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Bate chicos.

soltrain21
05-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Sucks you lost your job.

Taliesinrk
05-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Sucks you lost your job.

come on.

Brian26
05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I know less Japanese players then Spanish speaking players but most Japanese cannot speak English at all where most players speak BOTH English and Spanish.

I've read this sentence eight times and still can't figure out what it means.

DumpJerry
05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't know how much verbal communication occurs between batboys and the players, so I don't know if it should be requirement (there are translators present for the non-English speaking players, anyway). However, clear writing skills are always good for any position.

Sorry you didn't get the position. Is this the reason they gave you or do you think this is what did you in?

doublem23
05-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Are you sure it's a requirement? Or do they just prefer to hire guys who are bilingual, like most every other company in the country?

Anyways, it's 2011. Aprende a hablar espaņol.

tacosalbarojas
05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I've read this sentence eight times and still can't figure out what it means.I think he meant to write I know "there are" less Japanese than Latino players.

But to the original point, it is a batboy job in an occupation where you are an assistant of sorts to the players, some of whom speak only Spanish. In my occupation, I need to do business in Spanish. And when I do, I need to hire Spanish speakers to get the work done. No real difference here.

Nellie_Fox
05-26-2011, 12:07 AM
I think he meant to write I know "there are" less Japanese than Latino players. He should have meant to write "there are fewer..." "Less" and "fewer" are not interchangeable. If you can count the things being referred to, "fewer" is correct. For example: "Fewer cars makes for less traffic."

Boy, I haven't let myself be grammatically pedantic in a while!

soltrain21
05-26-2011, 12:13 AM
come on.

Come on what? This kid has made plenty of posts bashing how the White Sox do things in the front office and how "things have changed" like he has some vast knowledge of the inner workings of upper management by working in the clubhouse. This is obviously another branch of his tree.

Which, if you are an employee of a team maybe you shouldn't bash said team on a message board that officials of the team reads.

Over By There
05-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Come on what? This kid has made plenty of posts bashing how the White Sox do things in the front office and how "things have changed" like he has some vast knowledge of the inner workings of upper management by working in the clubhouse. This is obviously another branch of his tree.

Which, if you are an employee of a team maybe you shouldn't bash said team on a message board that officials of the team reads.

If this guy worked for any organization but the White Sox he'd likely have been let go way before now. Only a team that has put up with as mush social media tomfoolery as the Sox would overlook his shtick.

soxfanatlanta
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Question here...

Do YOU think it should be a requirement for batboys/clubhouse attendants to speak fluent Spanish? Also, would it be okay if someone was hired for that position solely based on this reason (not the best candidate but spoke fluent Spanish)? I disagree. Spanish is not a requirement sent by the MLB also most players speak English. Hell, I can understand Ozzie and people always give him crap. Lastly, why are they not Japanese batboys? I know less Japanese players then Spanish speaking players but most Japanese cannot speak English at all where most players speak BOTH English and Spanish.

Perhaps the bats need to speak Spanish, or Japanese, or Korean.

:shrug:

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-26-2011, 12:54 PM

Sorry I know what is going on. I was just asking a question so that "fans" could give an opinion and be less bias.

DumpJerry
05-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Sorry I know what is going on. I was just asking a question so that "fans" could give an opinion and be less bias.
I'm pretty sure your typical fan could not care about the job requirements for the batboy position. We're too busy with the important jobs at the White Sox like who is selling churros and who is the hot dog vendor.

downstairs
05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Question here...

If the team wants that as a requirement, sure.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure your typical fan could not care about the job requirements for the batboy position. We're too busy with the important jobs at the White Sox like who is selling churros and who is the hot dog vendor.

lol DJ. And to the last poster, thank you for just answering the OP.

GoGoCrede
05-26-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't know how much verbal communication occurs between batboys and the players, so I don't know if it should be requirement (there are translators present for the non-English speaking players, anyway). However, clear writing skills are always good for any position.

Sorry you didn't get the position. Is this the reason they gave you or do you think this is what did you in?

Heh, well played. :lol: