PDA

View Full Version : Howry for Gagne


34 Inch Stick
07-08-2002, 03:59 PM
Was this trade all a rumor at the beginning of the season or were the two teams legitimately discussing the deal? Can we get Evans back on the phone?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Was this trade all a rumor at the beginning of the season or were the two teams legitimately discussing the deal? Can we get Evans back on the phone?

I think it was more than rumor, if I recall correctly Williams asked for a prospect to and Evans laughed at him. Not unless we're throwing in someone else.

Perhaps Daver or Randar know for sure if it was a rumor or not.

FarmerAndy
07-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Was this trade all a rumor at the beginning of the season or were the two teams legitimately discussing the deal? Can we get Evans back on the phone?

Ain't gonna happen now. The rumor was that Dan Evans really wanted Howry and was willing to deal Gagne. If I remember right, Lenny wasn't ready to give up on Howry.

Also, I think alot of people on this board said it would be a bad move. What do you think now?????

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Ain't gonna happen now. The rumor was that Dan Evans really wanted Howry and was willing to deal Gagne. If I remember right, Lenny wasn't ready to give up on Howry.

Also, I think alot of people on this board said it would be a bad move. What do you think now?????

Had they gotten Gagne, I'd bet they would have used him as a starter. So, who knows how good he would be facing the lineup 2 or 3 times. Of course he couldn't be as bad as Ritchie.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy


Ain't gonna happen now. The rumor was that Dan Evans really wanted Howry and was willing to deal Gagne. If I remember right, Lenny wasn't ready to give up on Howry.

Also, I think alot of people on this board said it would be a bad move. What do you think now????? if i remember right, i thought it was the opposite...... everybody wanted the trade........... then i could be wrong.

duke of dorwood
07-08-2002, 04:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
[B]

I think it was more than rumor, if I recall correctly Williams asked for a prospect to and Evans laughed at him. Not unless we're throwing in someone else.

Imagine Williams asking for additional players

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:23 PM
it wasn't a bad move to ask but i think on certain trades you should be happy to get anything of value in return.......... like that trade........... getting rid of gascan and picking up gagne......... i would've said yes in a heart beat and run to the commish office to get it done before the dodgers change their mind.

Chisoxfn
07-08-2002, 09:30 PM
Whether it was actually offered or not I don't know. The only people who know that are those high in their respective organizations. I do know that I was always backing the trade and drooled at the shot to get Gagne. I always knew he was going to be awesome and he would of been sucessful as a closer or starter.

baggio202
07-08-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Whether it was actually offered or not I don't know. The only people who know that are those high in their respective organizations. I do know that I was always backing the trade and drooled at the shot to get Gagne. I always knew he was going to be awesome and he would of been sucessful as a closer or starter.

i remember we had a conversation about that possible trade in back in the off season..you said youi seen gagne a few time cause you live out there..i remember you saying the sox were nuts not to make that deal because gagne threw smoke...good call

Chisoxfn
07-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Baggs..we need to start making notes on these calls and put together a resume for why we should be joint Gm's :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Chisoxfn
Baggs..we need to start making notes on these calls and put together a resume for why we should be joint Gm's :)

Just a question here, why was Evans going to trade him for Bob Howry? If Evans honestly thought Howry could be his closer he's sadly mistaken. Bob can't throw strikes and is basically a one pitch pitcher. So, if Gagne can "throw smoke" why is he only good enough to get Bob Howry?

As I said in an earlier thread on the same subject, Gagne would've started her and would've been bad. It's just White Sox nature.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:17 PM
It seems that the same people who are calling Evans a genius also are saying he wanted to rid Gagne for Howry. Sounds like a double-standard to me.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2002, 12:23 AM
I do remember reading in The Sporting News both under the Dodger and Sox sections that discussions were taking place during Spring training.

I don't remember for sure, but I think it was Williams who was hesitant to deal Howry in part because he had signed him to a contract extension as protection if the Sox couldn't agree to an extension with Keith Foulke.

Lip