PDA

View Full Version : DJ and Farmio's funny commentary today

SoxThunder
05-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I was listening to the first inning of the Sox-Rangers game today and heard this on the radio:

DJ: "Hey Ed, have you ever read that book...Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day?"

Ed: " I can't say I've had the pleasure of reading it."

DJ: "I think we're having that type of game today."

Ed: "We're having a Winnie the Pooh type of game?"

DJ: "No, I'd say more blustery than Pooh."

(Silence)

Later on in the inning:

Ed: "So here's Elvis Andrus, and he's a good looking young ballplayer."

DJ: "Yes, and he can play baseball well too."

(Silence)

Ed: "You had to go there, didn't you?"

If anyone tried to write a book with all the awkward DJ and Ed moments, it would be about 200 volumes long.

DrCrawdad
05-24-2011, 12:12 AM
I was listening to the first inning of the Sox-Rangers game today and heard this on the radio:

Later on in the inning:

(Silence)

If anyone tried to write a book with all the awkward DJ and Ed moments, it would be about 200 volumes long.

http://www.mdtl.us/assets/images/now_that_s_funny.gif

DirtySox
05-24-2011, 12:13 AM
I love Farmer, and DJ has started to grow on me. I'm not entirely sure if it's based on merit alone, or simply because neither of the two are the bumbling oaf that is Hawk Harrelson.

DSpivack
05-24-2011, 12:35 AM
I love Farmer, and DJ has started to grow on me. I'm not entirely sure if it's based on merit alone, or simply because neither of the two are the bumbling oaf that is Hawk Harrelson.

Farmer was especially good saturday when Gov. Pat Quinn was in the booth, apparently the two have known each other awhile and are two of the most, uh, gifted ramblers around.

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2011, 12:47 AM

(Silence)

That's too funny...DJ can be funny, he's just really deadpan when he cracks his jokes, sort of like Stoney.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-24-2011, 02:13 AM
I've liked DJ since the beginning and I'm really glad once Stone came in we were able to keep DJ "in house". I still prefer Hawk to anyone but I don't complain if I have to listen to 670 occasionally.

WhiteSox5187
05-24-2011, 04:59 AM
I actually don't mind DJ and I feel bad for him as he has been partnered with two of the most difficult play-by-play men around. I feel like if he was partnered with a good announcer he would do well.

spongyfungy
05-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Farmer was especially good saturday when Gov. Pat Quinn was in the booth, apparently the two have known each other awhile and are two of the most, uh, gifted ramblers around.

They were just talking right over each other in the end, weren't they?

The Immigrant
05-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Farmio is an acquired taste, but I really enjoy listening to him and D.J. You can tell they've been friends for a very long time.

tebman
05-24-2011, 09:04 AM
I enjoy listening to them call the game. They remind me of the old Bob & Ray routines.

Had a chance to sit in the booth for an inning and watched them operate. They really are a smooth team.

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I enjoy listening to them call the game. They remind me of the old Bob & Ray routines.

Had a chance to sit in the booth for an inning and watched them operate. They really are a smooth team.

How did you manage that?

C-Dawg
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
I've liked Farmer for a long time and have always felt I'd get along with him well if I had to work with him. Along those lines, I feel DJ is doing better as a broadcaster now that he's paired with Farmer compared to his years with Hawk.

tebman
05-24-2011, 10:02 AM
How did you manage that?

We had a friend who worked at the park and showed us around during a game. We stood in the rear of the radio booth and watched an inning or so. As a radio techie I was as intrigued by the setup as I was amused by Farmer & DJ's conversation.

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I think D.J. just loves to needle Ed.

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I HATE, HATE, HATE DJ's "We've got some work... ta do!" that he began using this season. I seriously want to throw something at my radio each time he uses that phrase. :angry:

JermaineDye05
05-24-2011, 01:50 PM
As long as DJ doesn't say,

"Uh-Oh!"

or

"Going going ---GONE!"

He's okay in my book.

DonnieDarko
05-24-2011, 03:00 PM
I think D.J. just loves to needle Ed.

And Farmer actually takes it in stride, as far as I can hear. I like this combination on the radio better than Farmer and Stone; when Farmer and Stone were on, there was so much tension in the booth that you could cut it with a knife. Made it almost impossible to listen to.

Why the hell did those two not get along, anyway? Bah.

Either way, DJ is much better than he was before with Farmer. I like it.

kaufsox
05-24-2011, 03:03 PM
I liked Farmio when he was with Rooney and DJ is ok. Someone mentioned that DJ with a true broadcaster would work well. The banter between Farmer and DJ is pretty fun though,

gogosox675
05-24-2011, 03:22 PM
I HATE, HATE, HATE DJ's "We've got some work... ta do!" that he began using this season. I seriously want to throw something at my radio each time he uses that phrase. :angry:
+1. I feel like he says "here we go" a little too much as well. It's still a good broadcast, though.

MarkZ35
05-24-2011, 05:05 PM
GOD I hate that, he sounds so incredibly stupid the way he says it

Chez
05-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Me too. I can't figure out who DJ is trying to channel when he says "we got some work to do." Ricky Riccardo? Farmer's frequent meanderings sometimes overwhelm the broadcast. Last Friday, he spent the entire bottom of the 10th telling a story about Randy Savage rather than describing the action on the field -- kind of an important time of the game. If he has to tell the story, tell it during a less critical time. Sheesh. I've started to listen to the visiting team broadcasts more frequently.

soxrme
05-25-2011, 04:06 PM
I wish he would just leave. His rambling and St Rita stories instread of painting a picture of the game drive me nuts. He was ok at color but he is NOT a play by play guy. Rooney was so good and it is a shame he left.

KenBerry
05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I have finally figured out that the qualities that make a good closer are not always the same qualities that make for a compelling broadcast. The best closers are unflappable. They don't get too excited when things go well or when they go..l.well, not so well. Farmio is no exception. Although I really can't take screaming broadcasters, Farmio's low key approach gets extreme. In his best moments he reminds me of Bob Newhart and the laughs creep up on me. However, it seems nothing gets him riled. I fell asleep and didn't catch last night's game. I really wish I heard Farmio on the radio while the wind was so bad that Peavy could hardly keep his balance on the mound...

...Two strikes on Hamilton. Peavy looks at the runner. A house flys by the left field foul pole chased by a woman in a dark dress riding a bicycle. here's the pitch. He fouls it back. Couple of cows land behind Beckham in short right field. Peavy looks for the sign. Not sure even Hamilton could hit one out in this wind. Its a bit brisk. He delivers. Outside, ball two. Twister between the mound and third base. I think Ozzie is going to need a new shortstop as I don't see Alexi right now. Ok, there he is. Jake looks in...

StillMissOzzie
05-26-2011, 01:08 AM

+1 with a bullet. That sing-songy phrase has got to go!

SMO
:angry::mad:

KenBerry
05-26-2011, 12:02 PM

SMO

Most importantly because of "we've" I accept broadcasters who are homers but the only people who should use "we" or "we've" are the players, coaches and perhaps management. The use of the personal pronoun to describe the team should be relegated to Wrigley and its fans. "They have some work to do" or "The Whitesox have some work to do" should be used subject to the legitimate concerns of other posters about the tiresome phrase of having any work to do in the first place.

RowanDye
05-26-2011, 01:39 PM

I clicked on this thread to post something about the very same thing! Glad to hear a general consensus that DJ needs to stop. I could deal with it if he used it sparingly, but it is literally several times a game.

BeeBeeRichard
05-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I have finally figured out that the qualities that make a good closer are not always the same qualities that make for a compelling broadcast. The best closers are unflappable. They don't get too excited when things go well or when they go..l.well, not so well. Farmio is no exception. Although I really can't take screaming broadcasters, Farmio's low key approach gets extreme. In his best moments he reminds me of Bob Newhart and the laughs creep up on me. However, it seems nothing gets him riled. I fell asleep and didn't catch last night's game. I really wish I heard Farmio on the radio while the wind was so bad that Peavy could hardly keep his balance on the mound...

...Two strikes on Hamilton. Peavy looks at the runner. A house flys by the left field foul pole chased by a woman in a dark dress riding a bicycle. here's the pitch. He fouls it back. Couple of cows land behind Beckham in short right field. Peavy looks for the sign. Not sure even Hamilton could hit one out in this wind. Its a bit brisk. He delivers. Outside, ball two. Twister between the mound and third base. I think Ozzie is going to need a new shortstop as I don't see Alexi right now. Ok, there he is. Jake looks in...

Pretty good, but you needed a few pauses so that DJ could slip a couple of "That's right, partner" comments in or perhaps a tangential reference to "The Wizard of Oz." ... "I liked that little dog. What was his name, Tootoo?"

MARTINMVP
05-27-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't mind DJ And Farmer. They're not the most exciting to listen to, but they probably sound A LOT better than team broadcasters in smaller markets.

That said, I still think DJ would be a lot better if paired with Dave Wills. I understand that Dave Wills left in 2005 to go work for Tampa Bay. It was a promotion for him, I get it. I do hope that someday, when either Hawk or Farmer do decide to leave, that Dave will be available and that the Sox give him the time of day. He'd be great.

ChiSoxGirl
05-27-2011, 08:56 AM

SMO

I clicked on this thread to post something about the very same thing! Glad to hear a general consensus that DJ needs to stop. I could deal with it if he used it sparingly, but it is literally several times a game.

I think I heard, "We've got some work... ta do!" three or four different times during last night's broadcast!!! :gah:

C-Dawg
05-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Most importantly because of "we've" I accept broadcasters who are homers but the only people who should use "we" or "we've" are the players, coaches and perhaps management. The use of the personal pronoun to describe the team should be relegated to Wrigley and its fans. "They have some work to do" or "The Whitesox have some work to do" should be used subject to the legitimate concerns of other posters about the tiresome phrase of having any work to do in the first place.

I'm not 100% sure, but isn't it "He's got some work to do!" that DJ is saying? I meant to be more attentive during last night's broadcast but I had a lot of interruptions. However, he definately said "He's" when Dunn was batting with men on base in the 7th. And I know he says it as "he's" when its about a relief pitcher coming into a jam.

Maybe sometimes he says "He's" and sometimes its "We've"? Annoying, either way.

LongLiveFisk
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
I think I heard, "We've got some work... ta do!" three or four different times during last night's broadcast!!! :gah:

I never usually listen to the radio broadcast too often but now you have me curious to see just how annoying this is. Maybe I will turn it on and listen tonight.

miker
05-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I never usually listen to the radio broadcast too often but now you have me curious to see just how annoying this is. Maybe I will turn it on and listen tonight.

Based on how annoying our team play has been this year, I can understand why this would get under some people's skin...

vinny
05-27-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but isn't it "He's got some work to do!" that DJ is saying? I meant to be more attentive during last night's broadcast but I had a lot of interruptions. However, he definately said "He's" when Dunn was batting with men on base in the 7th. And I know he says it as "he's" when its about a relief pitcher coming into a jam.

Maybe sometimes he says "He's" and sometimes its "We've"? Annoying, either way.
I've heard him use both. The "we've" or "we" usually comes up when the sox are batting late while trailing.

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2011, 12:52 AM
I don't mind DJ And Farmer. They're not the most exciting to listen to, but they probably sound A LOT better than team broadcasters in smaller markets.Smaller markets? Ever listen to the Yankees radio crew? Horrible. Just horrible.