PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Yuck Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
05-23-2011, 10:13 PM
Not the best way to start the trip.

billyvsox
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Not the best way to start the trip.

How we liking this Adam Dunn guy. .189 ba, 4 hrs, 60 ks in 148 ab's . Lets put him smack dab in the three spot of the lineup

Foulke You
05-23-2011, 10:14 PM
How we liking this Adam Dunn guy
He had plenty of company tonight.

sox1970
05-23-2011, 10:15 PM
No matter where the Sox are in the standings, 5-5 on this road trip is good.

Go get them tomorrow. Two lefties the next couple days...might want to get Dunn a day or two off.

And since Morel isn't playing anyway, send him down, and let Viciedo DH the next couple games.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Next two games could be tough. Especially with the return of Cruz and Hamilton as evidenced by tonight's performance.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Whoever asked if the Sox are leading MLB in GIDP in the gamethread, the answer is no. They rank 11th currently with 38. The Cardinals are number 1 with 58.

DrCrawdad
05-23-2011, 10:25 PM
This one had that familiar stench of a Sox loss from early on.

This opposition starter looked very tough. Question now is, will the Sox pick themselves up tomorrow?

tstrike2000
05-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Ugh x 2.

billyvsox
05-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I hate to keep bashing Dunn, but the kind of stats he puts up year after year maybe fine for the Nationals or the Diamondbacks, but does not help a team trying to win.

The days of Dave Kingman, Rob Deer, Richie Sexton are over, this is an OPS game now. He contributes nothing to a struggfling offense

Woofer
05-23-2011, 10:28 PM
The way I see it, if the Sox from a few weeks ago played this game tonight, they would have probably been no hit. The Sox banged out 5 hits tonight, so things are still looking up. (Not really sure myself if I'm being sarcastic or not here.)

PalehosePlanet
05-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Ogando actually pitched a great game, and has pitched his ass off all year. I don't believe this game was like one of the games earlier in the year where we made a bad pitcher look good (e.g. Chris Tillman, Jake Arietta, etc...)

Get some rest and get them tomorrow. That's all you can do.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 10:31 PM
I hate to keep bashing Dunn, but the kind of stats he puts up year after year maybe fine for the Nationals or the Diamondbacks, but does not help a team trying to win.

The days of Dave Kingman, Rob Deer, Richie Sexton are over, this is an OPS game now. He contributes nothing to a struggfling offense

Wait. It's an OPS game now, but his .892 .928 .898 .940 OPS in the 4 previous year didn't help his teams attempt to win?

Yes he is garbage right now, but his offensive performance in the past was absolutely an asset no matter his team.

DickAllen72
05-23-2011, 10:38 PM
Even when Dunn is hitting to his career norms he's not a number three hitter. He's more of a cleanup or number five guy.

The way he's hitting so far this season, batting him third is typical Ozzie stubborness/insanity.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-23-2011, 10:44 PM

Dunn is 69th ALL TIME in OPS and nowhere near the hitters you mention.

Your assertion that "this is an OPS game now" seems to contradict your other statements.

LongLiveFisk
05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Even when Dunn is hitting to his career norms he's not a number three hitter. He's more of a cleanup or number five guy.

The way he's hitting so far this season, batting him third is typical Ozzie stubborness/insanity.

I don't normally complain about the lineup but it does seem that something different should be tried with Dunn. Where in the lineup would people like to see him? (Besides not in it. :wink:)

canOcorn
05-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Most. Mentally. Fragile. Team. Ever!

Will we ever fire the fart knocker that allows and fosters this crap?

SoxSpeed22
05-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Ugando is going to win plenty of games this year. That is still no excuse for the terrible approach and lack of adjustments made.
BTW, did that home run Cruz hit land yet?

JB98
05-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Meh. Our offense stinks.

I've still got this club pegged for 83-79.

SI1020
05-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Meh. Our offense stinks.

I've still got this club pegged for 83-79. I'll be overjoyed if they have a winning season.

JB98
05-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll be overjoyed if they have a winning season.

These first two months are the toughest, schedule-wise.

It's not real hard for me to see them going 61-52 in the remaining 113 games.

They aren't as horse**** as they've looked for most of this year, but they aren't a playoff-caliber team either, IMO. Over 162 games, I think this will be a mediocre club.

FielderJones
05-23-2011, 11:28 PM
It's okay to be upset when the Sox get shut down by a bum, but that's not what happened tonight. In all appearances but one this year, Ogando has given up less than three runs (http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/player/gamelogs/2011/1174266). The Sox ran into a good pitcher who has been doing it all year.

DirtySox
I'll be overjoyed if they have a winning season.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take much solace in a winning season. It seems pretty insignificant. I loathe being in that average area between bad and good which is where I see this team ending up.

Lip Man 1
6th time shut out this sason. The numer of times they've looked impotent and awful against a no-name pitcher since 2004 must be close to a hundred times by now.

Lip

FielderJones
05-23-2011, 11:29 PM
6th time shut out this sason. The numer of times they've looked impotent and awful against a no-name pitcher since 2004 must be close to a hundred times by now.

Before you call Ogando a no-name, check his stats first Lip.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Fields:

Stats are fine for the first two months...talk to me in two years. Another guy the Sox haven't seen before, with absolutely zero track record and they roll over and die to.

And JB I agree with you, I'd be thrlled for this club that always takes the first two months of the season off to have a winning year although I don't think with a 125 million dollar payroll JR will be to happy about it.

Lip

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Before you call Ogando a no-name, check his stats first Lip.

This.

soltrain21
05-23-2011, 11:32 PM

Lip

Maybe you should do some research on tonight's pitcher, champ.

JB98
05-23-2011, 11:33 PM
Saying a bad roadtrip will kill their chances for the division is an overexaggeration at this point, but being on the road into the beginning of June doesn't exactly help matters.

I'd be pretty happy if they manage four wins on this trip. Texas and Boston are just better than the Sox. As for Toronto, well, the Sox are something like 2-10 up there over the last three years.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I'd be pretty happy if they manage four wins on this trip. Texas and Boston are just better than the Sox. As for Toronto, well, the Sox are something like 2-10 up there over the last three years.

That no-name Jose Bautista is going to beast the Sox in Toronto.

tstrike2000
05-23-2011, 11:40 PM

Yeah, Texas has a sick lineup when all healthy, Bautista is almost single-handedly carrying Toronto and Boston has been red-hot. Sox just not hitting those teams at the right time and the prospect of coming home in the beginning of June even further under .500 just sucks.

JB98
05-23-2011, 11:41 PM
That no-name Jose Bautista is going to beast the Sox in Toronto.

Jo-Jo Reyes hasn't won a game at the big league level since Sept. 24, 2008.

Wondering if he's scheduled to start against the Sox in Toronto. If so, I'm picking him up for my fantasy team. No teal.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 11:46 PM
Jo-Jo Reyes hasn't won a game at the big league level since Sept. 24, 2008.

Wondering if he's scheduled to start against the Sox in Toronto. If so, I'm picking him up for my fantasy team. No teal.

He actually hasn't been that bad this year. He's shown significant improvement and is absolutely due for a win. His FIP is sitting at a pretty 3.36 right now. He also has a pretty sweet haircut. (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2011/05/20/reyes_haircut_davidi/)

JB98
05-23-2011, 11:47 PM
He actually hasn't been that bad this year. He's shown significant improvement and is absolutely due for a win. He also has a pretty sweet haircut. (http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2011/05/20/reyes_haircut_davidi/)

Just checked the probables, and it looks like Reyes is going Wednesday against NYY. The Sox won't face him unless something changes.

DirtySox
05-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Just checked the probables, and it looks like Reyes is going Wednesday against NYY. The Sox won't face him unless something changes.

That's okay. Much ballyhooed prospect Kyle Drabek will shut them down instead.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Maybe you should do some research on tonight's pitcher, champ.

Oh please. Yes he's a really good pitcher off to a great start but his ERA is not 0.00. Additionally, he's a converted reliever who has not thrown more than 7.0 innings in his career.

HaroMaster87
05-24-2011, 12:03 AM
How we liking this Adam Dunn guy. .189 ba, 4 hrs, 60 ks in 148 ab's . Lets put him smack dab in the three spot of the lineup

My guess is our manager is putting him 3rd to see better pitches since he's batting in front of our best hitter. That being said, it's obviously (to most) not working. He needs to bat lower...preferably 7 or 8. He should have to earn his spot like everyone else. A 2 month slump is unacceptable. Good thing he doesn't pick up a bat in the off season. That seems to be working too...

And I believe the reason they cant/wont call up The Tank is because he's out of options and would have to stay. Correct me if im wrong.

HaroMaster87
05-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Oh please. Yes he's a really good pitcher off to a great start but his ERA is not 0.00. Additionally, he's a converted reliever who has not thrown more than 7.0 innings in his career.

Not to mention, 2 months does not make a career...he's not Greg freakin' Maddux. Those are 2 things that baffle me. Every year they suck for the first 2 months and if its a pitcher they've never seen, automatic loss...totally unexplainable.

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2011, 12:17 AM
There's a good chance that Ugando could fade in the 2nd half when teams have film on him and figure him out, or he goes through a dead arm period. But right now, his short arm release and fastball that rises could give people trouble.

delben91
05-24-2011, 12:20 AM

Everything sucks. Everywhere. :whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner::whiner:

captain54
05-24-2011, 12:21 AM

I'm just a fan and I don't know much about baseball or what a hitting coach does, but I would say that all this fretting about Dunn is for naught since Walker said last month that Dunn is ready to bust out, and when he does....look out AL pitchers.

soltrain21
05-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Not to mention, 2 months does not make a career...he's not Greg freakin' Maddux. Those are 2 things that baffle me. Every year they suck for the first 2 months and if its a pitcher they've never seen, automatic loss...totally unexplainable.

Who in this thread said two months make a career? He has been very, very good the first part of this year. He has shut down pretty much everybody he has faced.

No one is claiming he is a superstar, but to compare him other "no names" that historically suck that have beat the Sox this year isn't very fair.

BainesHOF
05-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Good teams beat good pitchers.

Bad teams get shutout six times in less than two months.

Let continue to bat our most impotent hitter third!

When does the sell-off start?

Memo to Melton: Wake up! Floyd is one of our best starters. He's 5-3 with a 3.88 ERA. He will NOT be the one going to the bullpen.

captain54
05-24-2011, 01:26 AM

the Sox are 12 games behind the Indians in the loss column....Sizemore and Hafner haven't even been in the lineup and are due to come back soon..

Kenny Williams told us he built this team to withstand the long haul of a 162 season... for him to start tearing apart to build back up again would be him admitting failure, and we all know with his ego, it'll be put off until the last possible moment

JermaineDye05
05-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Good teams beat good pitchers.

Bad teams get shutout six times in less than two months.

Let continue to bat our most impotent hitter third!

Memo to Melton: Wake up! Floyd is one of our best starters. He's 5-3 with a 3.88 ERA. He will NOT be the one going to the bullpen.

If anyone's going to the bullpen, it's the guy who's throwing 100 pitches every 5-6 innings.

HaroMaster87
05-24-2011, 02:04 AM
Who in this thread said two months make a career? He has been very, very good the first part of this year. He has shut down pretty much everybody he has faced.

No one is claiming he is a superstar, but to compare him other "no names" that historically suck that have beat the Sox this year isn't very fair.

To me, I think it speaks more to advance scouting/preparation as very possibly being a serious issue. This has been a recurring yearly problem.
Not like the guy who pitched today so much as the guys who suck. We almost never have a chance if our hitters have never seen them before...

kufram
05-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Of course it is always a drag to lose and worse to be shut out. But it only takes one loss for the the the team to be available for foreclosure? A loss against Texas after Hamilton returns against a good pitcher (right now... which is all that matters) first game of a road trip after a good homestand after a good road trip isn't the season gone. It's like some poeple just wait for a loss to post.

This is a road trip we need to survive, not sweep. One more win than losses would be a success til we get back home.

Hitmen77
05-24-2011, 09:01 AM
This one had that familiar stench of a Sox loss from early on.

This opposition starter looked very tough. Question now is, will the Sox pick themselves up tomorrow?

Yep, when Hamilton hit that HR in the 1st it already felt to me like practically an insurmountable lead (no teal).

Too bad we can't expect this team to at least manufacture a few runs here and there. But that's okay, let's just keep batting Pierre at leadoff and Dunn at 3rd even though both totally suck right now.

Hitmen77
05-24-2011, 09:06 AM
If anyone's going to the bullpen, it's the guy who's throwing 100 pitches every 5-6 innings.

If you mean Danks, Ozzie suggests that he's staying in the rotation:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-guillen-danks-likely-to-stay-in-soxs-rotation-20110523,0,5838938.story?track=rss

tstrike2000
05-24-2011, 10:24 AM
I still have faith Danks will rebound soon. He's posted ERA's of 3.37, 3.72, and 3.77 the last 3 seasons, so he has a proven track record. No, he doesn't get run support for some reason and I was extremely wrong thinking that would change this year. It reminds me of Buehrle's season in '03 when he started 2-10 and wound up finishing at .500. If we're going to make up ground we'll need John and I'm optimistic it gets better from here.

russ99
05-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Wait. It's an OPS game now, but his .892 .928 .898 .940 OPS in the 4 previous year didn't help his teams attempt to win?

Yes he is garbage right now, but his offensive performance in the past was absolutely an asset no matter his team.

And his performance in the past, especially considering his high OBP numbers for his hitter-type makes him the best choice for the 3 spot.

For those who want him moved down the order - would it make any difference where he's hitting in the order considering how poorly his at-bats are?

Too bad we can't expect this team to at least manufacture a few runs here and there. But that's okay, let's just keep batting Pierre at leadoff and Dunn at 3rd even though both totally suck right now.

And yet, when we bunt guys over to manufacture runs, everyone whines about how we're giving away outs. BTW: Pierre's hitting over .300 the last 10 games.
We can't bat 4 guys 9th...

kittle42
05-24-2011, 11:14 AM

Oh, to dream...

doublem23
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
I think we're batting about 9 guys 9th right now.

soltrain21
05-24-2011, 11:23 AM
And his performance in the past, especially considering his high OBP numbers for his hitter-type makes him the best choice for the 3 spot.

For those who want him moved down the order - would it make any difference where he's hitting in the order considering how poorly his at-bats are?

And yet, when we bunt guys over to manufacture runs, everyone whines about how we're giving away outs. BTW: Pierre's hitting over .300 the last 10 games.

I'm fairly certain you could go back and read before the season and see many, many people disagreed with Ozzie batting him third. Adam Dunn is not a three hitter. Not even close.

hawkjt
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Do some fans even follow the team? Juan has a 8 or 9 game hitting streak,and he is still being blamed for the lack of offense?
Dunn and Rios are struggling big time. The rest are contributing some.

downstairs
05-24-2011, 01:33 PM
You have to feel bad for John Danks. Dude rarely gives up more than 4 runs. I'm not even talking earned runs... just pure runs. And he's 0-7. The only game we won when he started... he got a no decision.

Nellie_Fox
05-24-2011, 02:09 PM
But that's okay, let's just keep batting Pierre at leadoff and Dunn at 3rd even though both totally suck right now.Have you been paying attention? Pierre has been hitting pretty well of late. He's 11 for his last 31, for a .355 average.

palehozenychicty
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM
The Rangers are just a better team than us when healthy. Not that we can't beat them, but we have to play a crisper game. Hasn't happened consistently.

khan
05-24-2011, 02:13 PM

Russ, I thought your buddy OG "makes the ****ing lineup," right?

And last I checked, we're in 2011, not 2010, or 2009, or 2008. So why would those numbers have anything to do with today?

I could see using the view of "Adam Dunn had a high OBP in recent years" as an argument to bat him 3rd for the first few weeks of the season. But it's May 24th, not April 24th. And doing the same stupid thing over and over again but expecting different/better outcomes is the definition of insanity.

But, your hero OG can learn to read a split, can't he?

Despite this, that mouth-breathing moron keeps batting a struggling hitter 3rd, which is hurting the offense, and the entire team. [Watch the dumbass bat Dunn 3rd v. the LHP tonight.]

We all know you're an ozzpologist, and genuflect before him at every possible opportunity. But OG is wrong to bat Dunn 3rd based on how he and the team are doing RIGHT NOW. In turn, OG's stupidity hurts Dunn, and hurts the team. No matter how you spin it, this is unfortunately true.

As for last night's game, I was pleased with the zero errors committed, and the pickoff. It shows me that the defense was alert, and that some measures were being taken to stop the other team's running attack.

So let's just tip our caps...

russ99
05-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Russ, I thought your buddy OG "makes the ****ing lineup," right?

And last I checked, we're in 2011, not 2010, or 2009, or 2008. So why would those numbers have anything to do with today?

I could see using the view of "Adam Dunn had a high OBP in recent years" as an argument to bat him 3rd for the first few weeks of the season. But it's May 24th, not April 24th. And doing the same stupid thing over and over again but expecting different/better outcomes is the definition of insanity.

But, your hero OG can learn to read a split, can't he?

Despite this, that mouth-breathing moron keeps batting a struggling hitter 3rd, which is hurting the offense, and the entire team. [Watch the dumbass bat Dunn 3rd v. the LHP tonight.]

We all know you're an ozzpologist, and genuflect before him at every possible opportunity. But OG is wrong to bat Dunn 3rd based on how he and the team are doing RIGHT NOW. In turn, OG's stupidity hurts Dunn, and hurts the team. No matter how you spin it, this is unfortunately true.

As for last night's game, I was pleased with the zero errors committed, and the pickoff. It shows me that the defense was alert, and that some measures were being taken to stop the other team's running attack.

So let's just tip our caps...

It's very obvious that Ozzie's been looking at splits all year, but you're convinced he's a blithering idiot, so nothing will change your opinion.

Sure, let's sit our $15M player because he's sucked this year vs. lefties. He's surely going to break out of his slump on the bench watching other players hit.

khan
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
It's very obvious that Ozzie's been looking at splits all year, but you're convinced he's a blithering idiot, so nothing will change your opinion.

Sure, let's sit our $15M player because he's sucked this year vs. lefties.

Dunn is 0-30 vs. LHP. 13Ks, 1 GIDP.

Yeah, sounds exactly like the type of #3 hitter you'd want, right? [For ****'s sake, at the minimum, one would assume that even the kids on the short bus would've dropped Dunn in the lineup. You know, maybe bat him 6th or 7th? At the very least...]

Russ, why do you insist on defending a clearly indefensible error by OG? Other than your fandom for Ozzie first and the White Sox second, I'm curious why you favor this?

OG is wrong to do this, no matter how you spin it.

tstrike2000
05-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah, sounds exactly like the type of #3 hitter you'd want, right? [For ****'s sake, at the minimum, one would assume that even the kids on the short bus would've dropped Dunn in the lineup. You know, maybe bat him 6th or 7th? At the very least...]

Russ, why do you insist on defending a clearly indefensible error by OG? Other than your fandom for Ozzie first and the White Sox second, I'm curious why you favor this?

OG is in wrong to do this, no matter how you spin it.

You'd think we could move Dunn lower, but what about the other half of the lineup that isn't hitting?

khan
05-24-2011, 02:31 PM
You'd think we could move Dunn lower, but what about the other half of the lineup that isn't hitting?

I don't disagree with this. There are too many automatic outs in the lineup. But I think its fair to state that one of a MLB team's better hitters hits 3rd in the lineup.

Dunn [RIGHT NOW] isn't one of them. His BA has dropped some 27 points in the past 10 days. He has not a single hit v. LHP. He's struggling. So move him out of 3rd. Don't hold the entire team hostage while waiting for one guy. [OG didn't hold the entire team hostage for Billy Koch years ago, so why is he doing it now?]

russ99
05-24-2011, 02:36 PM

OG is in wrong to do this, no matter how you spin it.

I know the numbers, and they're awful. No dispute there.

I'm not opposed to him moving down the order, but that may mess him up even more. And really, does Dunn striking out batting third make much difference than him striking out batting 7th or 8th? And who would you put in his place? Konerko and Ramirez are the only guys contributing every game.

Batting Dunn 3rd does the following:

1) Shows him that the team has his back.
2) Gives him better pitches to hit with Konerko following him.

He has seen good pitches to hit earlier in the count, but he keeps fouling them off. He's also had a better approach at the plate the last few days, but that's not translated into many hits, yet.

I sure hope he can turn things around soon. His walk rate and .279 BABIP make it look like he can. Tonight would be a good time to start.

JermaineDye05
05-24-2011, 02:41 PM
If you mean Danks, Ozzie suggests that he's staying in the rotation:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-guillen-danks-likely-to-stay-in-soxs-rotation-20110523,0,5838938.story?track=rss

I meant Jackson.

khan
05-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I know the numbers, and they're awful. No dispute there.

I'm not opposed to him moving down the order, but that may mess him up even more. And really, does Dunn striking out batting third make much difference than him striking out batting 7th or 8th? And who would you put in his place? Konerko and Ramirez are the only guys contributing every game.
Couple things:

1. Batting a guy who is FAILING v. LHP more opportunities to fail, because the higher up in the lineup, the more AB that batter is likely to have.

2. By giving a failing guy more opportunities, it hurts the team on the field vs. their opponents. In effect, you're handing the other team 3-4 "free outs" to their pitcher by putting an automatic out v. LHP smack dab in the middle of the lineup.

3. Konerko and Ramirez are each ~600 points higher in OPS v. LHP right now. There can be no greater argument than that, other than Dunn's .118 OPS.

Batting Dunn 3rd does the following:

1) Shows him that the team has his back.
2) Gives him better pitches to hit with Konerko following him.

He has seen good pitches to hit earlier in the count, but he keeps fouling them off. He's also had a better approach at the plate the last few days, but that's not translated into many hits, yet.
SOX fans shouldn't give a **** about this. I care about WINNING. Dunn has been worse v. LHP his entire career. And right now, he is hurting the team, thanks [in part] to your buddy. He and OG are holding the team HOSTAGE.

And when Dunn's numbers improve, I'd be in favor of returning him to a higher spot in the lineup. But let him get out of this in a lower spot in the lineup. And let him ride pine v. LHP until he gets a hit vs. some nondescript LOOGY who's lucky to be in the bigs, not vs. a LH starter.

I sure hope he can turn things around soon. His walk rate and .279 BABIP make it look like he can. Tonight would be a good time to start.
So do I. But why force the entire team to waste precious opportunities to win while ONE GUY fails, and the stupid manager allows it to happen?

**** like this is why people see OG as a mouth-breather.

doublem23
05-24-2011, 03:37 PM
How about we tone down the insults that are thinly veiled attempts to call people who you don't agree with "retarded?" Or would it be asking too much of some people to act like normal adults?

captain54
05-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Dunn [RIGHT NOW] isn't one of them. His BA has dropped some 27 points in the past 10 days. He has not a single hit v. LHP. He's struggling. So move him out of 3rd.

Not to fear, because Dunn is on a MLB baseball team with professional coaches, who are paid to guide a player and help him out of funks.

Oh, wait, Dunn is on the Sox and Greg Walker is the hitting coach...nevermind

kufram
05-24-2011, 04:44 PM
How about we tone down the insults that are thinly veiled attempts to call people who you don't agree with "retarded?" Or would it be asking too much of some people to act like normal adults?

Thank you