05-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Laa?

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 04:31 PM
See, I knew we'd still win 2 out of 3. :D:

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Laa?

Cut me some slack; I'm posting from my phone. :)

Nice to win another series. Now, let's go pound the Rangers.

miker
05-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Don't stop now boys -- take the Texas series!

ShooterMcGavin
05-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Another White Sox winner!

Alexei had a big day offensively (4-5 with 5 RBI) but did have an error in the field. The Sox did not look good defensively, but the bats were productive.

Sale wasn't sharp, letting the first three hitters reach base in the 7th without recording an out.

Jackson did his job, allowing 1 run in 5 2/3 IP with poor defense behind him.

BleacherBandit
05-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Good teams find ways to win ugly games. I'm gaining confidence.

PalehosePlanet
05-22-2011, 04:39 PM
Cut me some slack; I'm posting from my phone. :)

Nice to win another series. Now, let's go pound the Rangers.

Frater, are you getting out to any of the games this week? Plano is only about an hour or so away from Arlington, right?

Nice series win after a bad start. We're now on an 11-4 run and it appears the offense woke up with the 6 spot yesterday, for their annual May 20ish hitting revival.

Bucky F. Dent
05-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Well Done, Boys! Well Done!

sunofgold
05-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Big heroes of the game: Alexei & Thornton

Matt was throwing strikes and Alexei was hitting for RBIs.

EJ didn't last that long that it worked out okay. Three errors are ugly but you win by 5. Rather make 3 errors in a game that we easily win than in close game.

5-0-1 in our last 6 series. Sweet. Challenging road trip coming up. We need to do well.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2011, 04:43 PM
11 of 15 and they are 5-0-1 in their last six series. That's more like it.

Absolutely huge road trip coming up...at worst they have got to break even and maintain the momentum.

Lip

sunofgold
05-22-2011, 04:47 PM
That's what she said

ChiSoxGal85
05-22-2011, 04:56 PM
much awesomeness. Keep winning series like this and the Sox will be in good shape; even better to sweep a few of those.

Taliesinrk
05-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Alexei with a great offensive day... slightly diminished by some of his defense.

OTOH, Beckham can hit .225 as far as I'm concerned... as long as he continues to throw the leather like he's been doing. I feel like he's the polar opposite of Ramirez... not flashy and doesn't appear to have unbelievable range, but is consistent, does the little things right, and is fundamentally sound. In a way, they kind of compliment each other in that regard.

The team may be playing crap defense, but Beckham is certainly the exception.

ode to veeck
05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Good teams find ways to win ugly games. I'm gaining confidence.

I'm gonna have to find my '83 Winng Ugly t-shirt if this keepa up.

soxinem1
I wouldn't exactly call it Winning Ugly, The Sequel, but good to see we are winning some games when the gloves were left in the clubhouse.

Either way, another series win, a couple series wins at home, and hopefully some momentum against a tough opponent tomorrow.

Railsplitter
It was fun watching the Dodgers battle the wind, as well as the Sox

ode to veeck
05-22-2011, 04:59 PM
Alexei with a great offensive day... slightly diminished by some of his defense.

OTOH, Beckham can hit .225 as far as I'm concerned... as long as he continues to throw the leather like he's been doing. I feel like he's the polar opposite of Ramirez... not flashy and doesn't appear to have unbelievable range, but is consistent, does the little things right, and is fundamentally sound. In a way, they kind of compliment each other in that regard.

The team may be playing crap defense, but Beckham is certainly the exception.

Gordon can be capable anywhere in the IF with the leather

Soxfest
05-22-2011, 05:00 PM
2 out of not bad.

BainesHOF
05-22-2011, 05:03 PM
I wish we'd hear from Ramirez after a game like that. Isn't there a translator around?

It was nice to see Beckham make a smart play for once after all of his mental mistakes.

keloms
05-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Looking good! 2 games out of 2nd and 24th overall!

doublem23
05-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Good homestand, now let's take it to those Rangers.

Brian26
05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Working on my scorecard on the L ride home. Thornton doesn't earn a save today, does he? The mlb box says he does.

Brian26
05-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Thornton didn't pitch three innings, didn't enter with at least the tying run on deck and didn't pitch the 9th with a three run lead or less.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Working on my scorecard on the L ride home. Thornton doesn't earn a save today, does he? The mlb box says he does.

Didn't he have a three-run lead when he came in? 6-3?

Brian26
05-22-2011, 05:35 PM
Didn't he have a three-run lead when he came in? 6-3?

That's right. Brain cramp here - I was hung up on the fact that he finished with a five run lead.

hawkjt
05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Twins lose. KC loses. Damn Reds get swept by the Tribe and the Bucs gave one back to the Tigers....but overall, after Friday nite debacle, I am quite pleased with the weekend. Ended up gaining ground on the Royals,Tigers and Twins, altho lost a game to the Tribe.

Keep climbing,Sox...survive this road trip at .500 and come back for Summer baseball for the next 4 months.

Chez
05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Good win. Let's go 6-4 on the road trip. I fear that this 6 man rotation (combined with an ineffective Sale) is going to tax Jesse Crain. He's been great, but another reliable arm out of the bullpen would be huge.

Foulke You
05-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Good win. Let's go 6-4 on the road trip. I fear that this 6 man rotation (combined with an ineffective Sale) is going to tax Jesse Crain. He's been great, but another reliable arm out of the bullpen would be huge.
Sale might have to figure things out down in Charlotte soon if he doesn't get it together. We can't live with all the walks.

Good homestand, now let's take it to those Rangers.
Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz are expected to be activated on Monday just in time for the Sox series. Perfect Timing. If we keep pitching like we've been lately though, we could very easily have another nice road trip. 6W-4L would be acceptable to me. 7W-3L would be fantastic.

October26
05-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Fun weekend. Great wins on Saturday and Sunday for the Sox after Friday's heartbreaking loss. Oh and I love Alexei! :wooty:

TDog
05-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Sale might have to figure things out down in Charlotte soon if he doesn't get it together. We can't live with all the walks. ...

Sale is in the bullpen instead of Charlotte because the bullpen is so thin. Maybe Infante would be better coming out of the bullpen than Sale. Maybe not. I don't work with the Sox pitchers or the pitchers in the minors, so I really don't know. But from what I see, the Sox don't have the luxury of sending Sale down.

The series should have been a sweep, obviously. If you have the lead, even by one run, with two outs and none on in the ninth with your best reliever on the mound, it's a game you should win. It's ironic, though, that Friday's loss was the only loss of a quality start by the White Sox in two weeks, and today's win came in a game that was the only start in the series that wasn't a quality start.

The White Sox continue to play pretty good baseball, even after such a heartbreaking loss. It seems they don't play as well defensively with Dunn at first, but that might be coincidental.

Because I was only following the game and not able to see it, I was a bit surprised to see Ramirez appear at second with a double in the eighth. With a big lead, I expected to see him getting thrown out at third going for the cycle, but I had no idea where the ball was hit. It's also possible that Ramirez isn't that selfish.

Brian26
05-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Because I was only following the game and not able to see it, I was a bit surprised to see Ramirez appear at second with a double in the eighth. With a big lead, I expected to see him getting thrown out at third going for the cycle, but I had no idea where the ball was hit. It's also possible that Ramirez isn't that selfish.

No, he had no chance at a triple on that one. The ball was hit in the RF gap but cut-off, and Alexei barely made it safely into 2nd with a slide. It was funny, though, as that ball off the bat looked like it might split the CF & RF, and I said to myself "here's the triple."

LITTLE NELL
05-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Another win today even though they butchered some plays but they didn't come back to haunt us.
Tough road trip coming up, I'll take 5-5 and go from there.

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Frater, are you getting out to any of the games this week? Plano is only about an hour or so away from Arlington, right?

I wish I could go to the games. In the last three years, we went from two incomes and no kids to one income and two kids. In addition, we typically put our kids to bed around 7 p.m., and they nap from 1:30 to 4. That means a family outing to a 1 p.m. (Wednesday) or 7 p.m. (Monday/Tuesday) game would set us back ~$100 and the kids almost certainly would be miserable. Also, I need to be sensitive about asking my wife to go out by myself; going to a 7 p.m. game would mean leaving at 5 p.m. (~90 minute drive with traffic) and thus leaving my wife alone to take care of feeding, bathing and putting the kids to bed. Sorry to bore/hijack everyone with tales of middle class domesticity!

Frater Perdurabo
05-22-2011, 08:15 PM
No, he had no chance at a triple on that one. The ball was hit in the RF gap but cut-off, and Alexei barely made it safely into 2nd with a slide. It was funny, though, as that ball off the bat looked like it might split the CF & RF, and I said to myself "here's the triple."

On TV it initially looked like it would split the RF and CF and give Alexei a shot at the triple, but it sort of died when it hit the long grass, and Gwynn (Dodgers RF) covered a lot of ground to grab the ball and fire it into 2B.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2011, 08:30 PM
After striking out four times yesterday, it was nice to see Adam have a pretty good day with three walks and an RBI single.

OmahaSoxFan
05-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Another series win! The boys are starting to creep ever so much closer to .500 again... tough stretch of road games coming up, but this team has brought out the best against tough competition already... For some reason I feel confident that they will play well against the good competition.

On another note, Chris Sale needs some time back in the minors for a few weeks to get things figured out. But at this point, can we afford to lose any bullpen depth. This is where it would have been nice to have Jeff Gray around (can't believe I am writing that).

But on the bright side, baseball is once again fun to watch again! Was worried I would be tuning out at this point, but now they are sucking me back in!

Lip Man 1
05-22-2011, 10:28 PM
For what its worth regarding Ramirez. I was told yeserday that some of the coaches were still upset over his getting thrown out at 3rd base for straying (was that last weekend?) He was told specifically by Cox to watch out and pay attention and he didn't.

I was also told by the same person that Ramirez is "selfish and baseball stupid." That he simply decides to do things on his own.

The guy has a lot of talent but I don't know if he'll ever be as good as he can be until he cleans things up defensively, starts being able to execute some of the fundamentals and mentally stays in the game. Any one of those could simply be beyond him let alone to say he can fix all three.

Lip

JermaineDye05
05-22-2011, 10:32 PM
For what its worth regarding Ramirez. I was told yeserday that some of the coaches were still upset over his getting thrown out at 3rd base for straying (was that last weekend?) He was told specifically by Cox to watch out and pay attention and he didn't.

I was also told by the same person that Ramirez is "selfish and baseball stupid." That he simply decides to do things on his own.

The guy has a lot of talent but I don't know if he'll ever be as good as he can be until he cleans things up defensively, starts being able to execute some of the fundamentals and mentally stays in the game. Any one of those could simply be beyond him let alone to say he can fix all three.

Lip

It's kind of hard for him to do that. You know, being on the White Sox and all.

LongLiveFisk
05-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Lip

That term has been mentioned more than once in the game threads so this comes as no surprise.

FielderJones
05-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Fun day at the ball park today! Mrs FJ surprised me with some Stubhub tix and said "let's go" after I had planned on watching the Sox on TV. It's always good to see some offense, and the defensive lapses didn't cost us.

It's almost time to change the Soxogram.

JB98
05-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Ramirez has always been a frustrating player to me. I'm not so sure he isn't the most talented player on this club. He's swung the bat terrific the last couple days. He was the biggest reason for the victory today. Mental mistakes prevent him from being the All-Star he could be.

It was an ugly one today, but they don't ask how. They ask how many. I'd take another 68 or so just like this one in our remaining 114 ballgames.

I'm worried about Sale. I'd say send him down to the minors, but as TDog noted, you'd have to replace him with somebody. Not sure who that somebody would be. Personally, I think Chris needs to pitch more often. With the position the Sox are in, I'm not sure they have the luxury of giving him more opportunities while he struggles.

RCWHITESOX
05-22-2011, 11:29 PM
A successful road trip and the Sox are back in it. Once Dunn and Rios start hitting look out!

rcescato
05-23-2011, 12:42 AM
11 of 15 and they are 5-0-1 in their last six series. That's more like it.

Absolutely huge road trip coming up...at worst they have got to break even and maintain the momentum.

Lip

Yes big road trip!! 3 at texas, 4 at the hated skydome, and 3 at Boston. Is every game we have in Boston going to be on national TV? WOW the history!! LOL!! We actually do have history with Boston. And the best part of our history was the 3 game sweep in the ALDS against the defending 2004 world Champions in 2005!!!:)

bluedemon45
05-23-2011, 08:25 AM
Great game at the Cell yesterday.

When Edwin Jackson is throwing his curve for a strike he is very dominate.

Dunn getting 3 walks and a RBI single is better than what we saw on Saturday. I think Ozzie should bat him 5th right now and take a little pressure off of him until he can get his bat going.

Alexei had a great day at the plate but not so good in the field. At least his errors didn't really hurt us.

Can AJ ever throw anyone out?

A win is a win. A big road trip before heading home to face the Tigers gotta keep this momentum going.

hi im skot
05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Ramirez has always been a frustrating player to me. I'm not so sure he isn't the most talented player on this club. He's swung the bat terrific the last couple days. He was the biggest reason for the victory today. Mental mistakes prevent him from being the All-Star he could be.

Soltrain and I have been saying that for the last couple years and have gotten flamed for it.

If he could keep his head out of the clouds, he'd be great.

OmahaSoxFan
05-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Great game at the Cell yesterday.

When Edwin Jackson is throwing his curve for a strike he is very dominate.

Dunn getting 3 walks and a RBI single is better than what we saw on Saturday. I think Ozzie should bat him 5th right now and take a little pressure off of him until he can get his bat going.

Alexei had a great day at the plate but not so good in the field. At least his errors didn't really hurt us.

A win is a win. A big road trip before heading home to face the Tigers gotta keep this momentum going.

I think you hit the nail on the head here... Dunn should be hitting either cleanup or 5th... not 3rd... but Ozzie as we all know is too stubborn to make the right move here. At least 3 walks and an RBI single is better than an O'fer night, or a "Golden Sombrero" kind of night.

doublem23
05-23-2011, 11:00 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head here... Dunn should be hitting either cleanup or 5th... not 3rd... but Ozzie as we all know is too stubborn to make the right move here. At least 3 walks and an RBI single is better than an O'fer night, or a "Golden Sombrero" kind of night.

If the Sox were really interested in taking the pressure off Dunn they'd keep him at 3rd and move Beckham back to 2nd. Hitting behind Pierre and Bacon, he'd rarely have to worry about striking out in a clutch situation for a while, since those two basically never get on base.

Chez
05-23-2011, 11:05 AM
The Rangers are starting lefties on Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully Quentin will be back in the line-up and Dunn gets dropped to fifth in the order. Pierre has picked it up recently, but I would like to see Lillibridge get a start in left against one of the lefties.

TDog
05-23-2011, 11:56 AM
The Rangers are starting lefties on Tuesday and Wednesday. Hopefully Quentin will be back in the line-up and Dunn gets dropped to fifth in the order. Pierre has picked it up recently, but I would like to see Lillibridge get a start in left against one of the lefties.

I wouldn't have any problem sitting Dunn against lefties and using Quentin as the DH.

voodoochile
05-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Didn't get to see the game nice to see the post Jake shutout surge continues.

Maybe Alexei just is the new Manos. I think he will cut down the errors, he has in the past, but if he continues to exhibit ungodly range and hit the ball as hard as he is, who cares?

4 games under... hmmmm...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

BainesHOF
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM

No.

He's not a Major League catcher anymore.

hawkjt
05-23-2011, 12:29 PM
If the Sox were really interested in taking the pressure off Dunn they'd keep him at 3rd and move Beckham back to 2nd. Hitting behind Pierre and Bacon, he'd rarely have to worry about striking out in a clutch situation for a while, since those two basically never get on base.

Did Gordo hit a two run homer on Friday,and get a hit yesterday?
Did Juan get three hits yesterday and is he on a 7 game hitting streak?

Yes and Yes.

Clearly, time to bench the guys who are heating up,right?

hi im skot
05-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Did Gordo hit a two run homer on Friday,and get a hit yesterday?
Did Juan get three hits yesterday and is he on a 7 game hitting streak?

Yes and Yes.

Clearly, time to bench the guys who are heating up,right?

:?:

Doub never said anything about benching them...

palehozenychicty
05-23-2011, 01:44 PM

It was an ugly one today, but they don't ask how. They ask how many. I'd take another 68 or so just like this one in our remaining 114 ballgames.

I'm worried about Sale. I'd say send him down to the minors, but as TDog noted, you'd have to replace him with somebody. Not sure who that somebody would be. Personally, I think Chris needs to pitch more often. With the position the Sox are in, I'm not sure they have the luxury of giving him more opportunities while he struggles.

Indeed. He doesn't bring it every night. The problem is that unless you go for Jose Reyes (Fred Wilpon doesn't want him), there's not a guy available who is significantly better.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Indeed. He doesn't bring it every night. The problem is that unless you go for Jose Reyes (Fred Wilpon doesn't want him), there's not a guy available who is significantly better.

And isn't Reyes breaking down anyway?

Historically, Ramirez heats up around this time. So he may be just following his career trend.

JermaineDye05
05-23-2011, 01:56 PM

Lip

If this is indeed the truth about Alexei, I have to imagine the Sox would be more willing to field offers for him despite the fact they extended him this past offseason. I had viewed him as one of the untouchables on this team but if he's not really a team player, then I can't see him sticking around too long. I'm sure he could bring a pretty nice haul. If only the Sox had a shortstop in the system.

I for one am not sold on Eduardo Escobar.

kufram
05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I wonder if Cox tried telling him what to do on third in Spanish? I, personally, hope Alexei goes nowhere soon. I can take the occasional mental lapse from a SS silver slugger who has the dazzling defensive play as well as the occasional brain cramp. He could be a better, more complete player, true. Who couldn't? But he's a force as a SS and teams will be lining up to get him from us. He hasn't cornered the market on bonehead plays on this team. It did seem helpful to TCM to have Omar playing next to him more last year. The throws were better and his concentration seemed better. Could it be a simple communication thing?