05-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Discuss...

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Buehrle > Garland

:)

kufram
05-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Everybody had a good game today... well, almost everybody.

gobears1987
Wouldn't you just love to remove one of our 6 starters in our rotation for Jon Garland right about now?

LoveYourSuit
I think the 6 man rotation is a good thing for this team.

October26
05-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Lillibridge In, Sox Win! :bandance:

SBSoxFan
05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Lillibridge In, Sox win! :bandance:

Yeah, it seems time for Lillibridge and Vizquel to play more.

ShooterMcGavin
05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Buehrle was smooth.

The offense was surprisingly productive.

Lillibridge had a nice game with a home run, he's making a case for more playing time.

Guillen made the right pitching decisions, pulling Buehrle after 7IP with a big lead and going to Pena for 2 innings of clean-up.

gobears1987
05-21-2011, 04:52 PM
The game was vintage Jon Garland (2000-2004). He pitched a few good innings and then crapped his pants.

JermaineDye05
05-21-2011, 04:52 PM
I like it when this team doesn't lose back-to-back games.

Last time that happened was May 4th and 6th when the Sox lost to the Twins 2-3 and then were walked off in Seattle after an off day.

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2011, 04:53 PM
The game was vintage Jon Garland (2000-2004). He pitched a few good innings and then crapped his pants.

:lol:

Well put.

soxinem1
05-21-2011, 04:55 PM
The White Sox are now 10-4 since I began wearing team t-shirts everyday.:bandance::bandance:

If Santos was just a couple inches further in with that fastball we'd be 11-3, but when you start 11-22, you can't get greedy.

Taliesinrk
05-21-2011, 04:57 PM
This year, it seems like the team is scoring a lot of their runs with 2-outs this year? Does anyone have the stats on this/know if it's true?

soltrain21
05-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Sit down Dunn for a day or two. Give Lillibridge more playing time in left, right and 2nd.

ShooterMcGavin
05-21-2011, 05:00 PM
During the post game interview, Guillen said Quentin's injury is not serious but he will not play tomorrow.

Hopefully Lillibridge gets another start in RF tomorrow.

manders_01
05-21-2011, 05:01 PM
When I got home and put the game on, I read the score wrong and thought we were down 9-2. Was seriously confused at the beginning of the 9th when Hawk was running down how many runs the Sox scored. Hello dumb ****, learn how to read! :dunce: :D:

So I missed basically the whole thing but very happy with the end result. Missed last night's too so hopefully I can enjoy the series winner tomorrow. :wink:

gobears1987
05-21-2011, 05:13 PM
During the post game interview, Guillen said Quentin's injury is not serious but he will not play tomorrow.

Hopefully Lillibridge gets another start in RF tomorrow.

No shock he won't play tomorrow. Ozzie's rule is to not play a player the day after he is taken out of a game with an injury.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2011, 05:29 PM
I didn't see the game (had a business meeting to attend to at my place), but I certainly knew the Sox were putting some runs on the board, as I can easily hear whenever they shoot off the fireworks...Didn't expect to see NINE runs on the board when I checked the final score! :o:

Lip Man 1
05-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Nice win but once again a bone headed play in the field helps set up a run. Nobody covering first base...say what?

It's called fundamentals Ozzie... something you claim the team works on in spring training.

Win the series tomorrow. 5-2 would be a nice homstand heading into another brutal road trip.

Lip

Foulke You
05-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice comeback by the Sox. Buehrle has been having a very solid season so far and it was nice that we actually staked one of our pitchers to a big lead. Nice to see Rios with a bomb. Hopefully, Quentin will be ok. Take the series tomorrow and then head out on a nasty 10 game road trip through Texas, Toronto, and Boston.

Dan H
05-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Whoever thought people would be calling for Lillibridge to play? But the guy has been great all year. Have no idea what is going on with Dunn.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Whoever thought people would be calling for Lillibridge to play? But the guy has been great all year. Have no idea what is going on with Dunn.
I never thought he would amount to anything more than a back-up role. But, he deserves to be an every day starter.

Hartman
05-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Dunn got several balls he could have crushed but didn't

soxlady8
05-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Lillibridge In, Sox Win! :bandance:
I am a big fan of The Bridge :) nice game to him and most all of our guys !

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Solid.

Just solid.

Let's win the series tomorrow...I'll take that.

spawn
05-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Dunn got several balls he could have crushed but didn't
Telltale sign of one mired in a slump.

sunofgold
05-21-2011, 06:11 PM
We basically traded Vazquez for LilliBridge! Oh, my. We totally won on that trade with the Braves.

Maybe Quentin has been playing a little hurt and that would explain his recent hitting woes in May. So, I hope. However, he did get some hits on Thursday and Friday.

thomas35forever
05-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you, good sirs. May we have another?

mzh
05-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Buehrle now the all-time leader in interleague wins. Congrats for Mark! :bandance::happybday:)

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Buehrle now the all-time leader in interleague wins. Congrats for Mark! :bandance::happybday:)
I wonder if he has another HR in his arsenal this year.

EnglishChiSox
05-21-2011, 06:30 PM

And if you keep being down in the count you're going to strike out, he can't play tomorrow like this. I'd rather have anyone DH above him, even Omar.

ChiSoxGal85
05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
Nice win today. Great game by the unflappable Mark Buerhle. Now let's take the series tomorrow!!! One series at a time... :bandance:
Nice win but once again a bone headed play in the field helps set up a run. Nobody covering first base...say what?

It's called fundamentals Ozzie... something you claim the team works on in spring training.

Win the series tomorrow. 5-2 would be a nice homstand heading into another brutal road trip.

Lip

That really looked bad. Dunn quit on the play, and Beckham was too slow. I think if Konerko had been there he'd have realized that it wasn't his ball to field and would have gotten back to first in time to take the throw.

I sure hope Dunn figures it out soon. It's really getting old.

I never thought he would amount to anything more than a back-up role. But, he deserves to be an every day starter.

Looks like Lillibridge has finally figured it out. He's been fighting for a spot on the Sox for several years now. He is so much better than Teahen in the outfield (!), and defensively has been better than Pierre and (arguably) TCQ.

If Brent continues to show consistency at the plate, I don't see why Ozzie shouldn't at least platoon him with Pierre. It's not like playing Lillibridge would be depriving us of our big base stealer. :rolleyes: Seems Pierre's pretty much quit trying to steal the last few games anyway - not that that's a bad thing.

I don't really know how good Brent's arm is, have we even seen it tested yet? But we all know how Pierre's arm is; so again I don't think we'd miss Pierre in left at all. I know, I know...Ozzie likes Juan Pierre. Sigh.

GlassSox
05-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, a great time was had by one and all at the cell today.

Dunn is a big problem right now and continuing with him batting 3rd will be insane. The boos were out today for Dunn. I had to bite my tongue to keep from jumping on the band wagon. I do however understand why people would boo and it is their right to express their displeasure. I hope that he gets his **** together soon.

Let's get another win Sunday.

KMcMahon817
05-21-2011, 07:32 PM
I wonder if he has another HR in his arsenal this year.

Haha, that would be great. Watching the replay of that is so entertaining...such an ugly cut.

Nice W today. Just keep winning...only 2.5 back from Detroit. I still am not convinced the Indians can maintain their pace. The SOX have been alot more fun to watch these past couple weeks, that is for sure.

miker
05-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Got to catch this one live at The Cell. A great game all around with a couple exceptions: watching Dunn try to hit and watching some poor fan in Section 120 get nailed in the face by a foul ball.

Both were quite painful to see in person.:stars:

JB98
05-21-2011, 08:30 PM
Another strong outing by a White Sox starting pitcher today. If there is a reason for hope for Sox fans, it is the quality starting pitching we've received on a pretty consistent basis all season.

I did not boo Adam Dunn today. I still like him and am glad he is here. I think he is the ingredient we were missing last season. He has a proven track record.

Dunn swung the bat exceptionally well on the last road trip. This homestand, he's been terrible. I don't know why. As a matter of fact, he's been terrible at home all season. Is he trying too hard to get in the fans' good graces or what? Frankly, Garland is the type of pitcher Dunn should kill. As a matter of fact, Dunn was 5-for-12 lifetime with 2 HRs vs. Garland coming into today. He really shouldn't be striking out four times against the stuff the Los Angeles pitchers were featuring today. We faced underwhelming right-handed pitchers today and everyone in the lineup except Dunn took advantage.

At any rate, my goal for the homestand was 5-2. It's still within reach. Tomorrow is the difference between an OK homestand and a good homestand.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-21-2011, 08:47 PM
I did hope for Dunn to break out of it a bit today based on his previous pwnership of Garland, but no. Still, a good game. Good to shake off that blown save, and Lillebeast looking better all the time.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Ozzie needs to give Lillibridge some consistent at bats. Given the fact that he's so versatile and everybody ahead of him sucks, it shouldn't be too hard. He's 27 years old - give him a chance to have his career year. He's done nothing but impress.

slavko
05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
I did hope for Dunn to break out of it a bit today based on his previous pwnership of Garland, but no. Still, a good game. Good to shake off that blown save, and Lillebeast looking better all the time.

Dunn did look great until he had the surgery. Got to wonder when he'll get it back. Lillibridge showed signs last year but reverted. Maybe this is for real. He's better in the OF, IMO. They can platoon him with Pierre and I won't complain a bit.

As a long-time Garland supporter, I am humbled and apologetic.

TDog
05-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Looks like Lillibridge has finally figured it out. He's been fighting for a spot on the Sox for several years now. He is so much better than Teahen in the outfield (!), and defensively has been better than Pierre and (arguably) TCQ.

If Brent continues to show consistency at the plate, I don't see why Ozzie shouldn't at least platoon him with Pierre. It's not like playing Lillibridge would be depriving us of our big base stealer. :rolleyes: Seems Pierre's pretty much quit trying to steal the last few games anyway - not that that's a bad thing.

I don't really know how good Brent's arm is, have we even seen it tested yet? But we all know how Pierre's arm is; so again I don't think we'd miss Pierre in left at all. I know, I know...Ozzie likes Juan Pierre. Sigh.

I don't know that it's a matter of Guillen liking Pierre. It could be that Pierre, like Dunn, has experience and Guillen likes the experience and Pierre, perhaps like Dunn appears to be on the verge of turning it around.

I like Lillibridge, though. In batting practice, he can be the most impressive Sox hitter, not hitting deep fly balls, but in banging line drives, some bouncing off the seats. Against real enemy pitching, he still strikes out too much, something he needs to address. Defensively, I think he's better in the outfield than on the infield, and I think he could be an option as a leadoff hitter. Maybe if Lillibridge had pinch hit for Dunn at the end Friday night, the game would have gone deeper in extra innings, but there is no way that is going to happen.

I only caught bits and pieces of today's game. It was nationally televised, but I had to supervise a yard sale. I like the way the Sox attacked Garland. Fortunately, Konerko getting thrown out at third by Sands didn't hurt. The Sox obviously don't have a scouting report on Sands, but against the Giants this week, he had a throw that nearly beat a runner to first after catching a flyball in left. Replay even showed that the throw beat the runner. You get these players breaking in and you really don't know how good they are. Their averages don't mean anything.

It was nice to see the Sox bounce back today after a tough loss Friday night.

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Haha, that would be great. Watching the replay of that is so entertaining...such an ugly cut.

Nice W today. Just keep winning...only 2.5 back from Detroit. I still am not convinced the Indians can maintain their pace. The SOX have been alot more fun to watch these past couple weeks, that is for sure.
Call me biased, because he is my 2nd favorite starter ever (my favorite was Black Jack McDowell), but I think I liked Buehrle's HR more than Garland's. I thought he would strike out swinging on three pitches. The guy has a WS ring, a WS save, is an All Star, has a no-no and a perfect game, has pitched a game in under 1 hour and 40 minutes, and has a HR to his credit.

Taliesinrk
05-21-2011, 09:28 PM

They can if they keep playing the Reds. For the second time in 2 days, Cincinnati thought it'd be more fun to give up the game after leading into at least the 7th inning. :puking:

sunofgold
05-21-2011, 09:41 PM
Might as aim for second place right now. If Det loses, we will be 2 games behind KC and DET for second place.

I have no idea why we are the only team that can beat CLE. They are 27-11 against everybody else? Wh@t?

Cleveland has vastly improved, but are they that good? Time will tell. We still have 13 more games against them. But we don't see them until July 22nd.

soxfanatlanta
05-21-2011, 09:51 PM
I'm glad I got the chance to watch the game on MLB network, MB looked good in the middle innings.

Dunn is useless.

DumpJerry
05-21-2011, 09:59 PM

I was at the game. We were discussing Jon "Big Inning" Garland during his meltdown. Brought back memories........

The boo birds were pretty loud for Dunn.

I didn't see the game (had a business meeting to attend to at my place), but I certainly knew the Sox were putting some runs on the board, as I can easily hear whenever they shoot off the fireworks...Didn't expect to see NINE runs on the board when I checked the final score! :o:
Dave Bolland threw out the first pitch. He blessed us.

cws05champ
05-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Might as aim for second place right now. If Det loses, we will be 2 games behind KC and DET for second place.

I have no idea why we are the only team that can beat CLE. They are 27-11 against everybody else? Wh@t?

Cleveland has vastly improved, but are they that good? Time will tell. We still have 13 more games against them. But we don't see them until July 22nd.
That's probably the good news....I think they start to come back to Earth around or after the ASB.

Hitmen77
05-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Great win today after yesterday's huge disappointment. We need to take the series tomorrow and then lets see if this team can keep this rebound going on the tough road trip.

He had a few good games on the last road trip and now he's back in a slump? Geez, how long is his slump going to last?

Everyone else in the lineup got a hit and he struck out 4 times. Wow. I guess all us fans can do is wait for him to snap out of this. :waiting: Yeah, I know he's only a career .250 hitter and has a prolific strikeout rate, but that still doesn't explain how bad he's been for us this year.

All I can say is that at least he's got a track record and that he'll turn things around at some point......right?:(:

This is starting to remind me of waiting for our big acquisitions for 2008 (Swisher and Cabrera) to hit for us. Swisher was a total flop all that season and Cabrera was hitting around .210 or so in the early going, but finally starting hitting later in the season.

He's not the only high priced dud in our lineup either. I know Rios' numbers were trending downward at Toronto, but what happened to him once he joined us? Aside for the 1st half of last season he's been terrible. At least he had a HR today...but I'm still waiting for his bat to really wake up (not just for 1 game).

chisoxfanatic
05-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Dave Bolland threw out the first pitch. He blessed us.
Nice! I love Bolly...And, he sticks around Chicago during the whole offseason, because he loves this city.
That's probably the good news....I think they start to come back to Earth around or after the ASB.
I don't think waiting for them to "come back to Earth" is necessary when our Sox own them regardless.

Zakath
05-21-2011, 10:30 PM

Fortunately, it's the last REALLY nasty one of the season. The longest one after this is right after the All-Star Break, with 3 at Detroit, 3 at KC, and 3 at Cleveland. We also only play 3 more road series (vs. AL teams) after this that are not against Central opponents, and they're all in August.

BainesHOF
05-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Beckham being way late to cover first base was brutal. What will it take for him to be sent down?

That play shows how this team has no chance to do anything this season. Not only do the players continue to fall asleep, but the clown coaching continues, too. At the start of that play, Beckham was severely out of position. He was playing a handful of steps from second base. It was going to be tough for him to get to first base in time even if he was awake. As inexcusable as Beckham's blunder was, it's understandable that one person could fall asleep. But what were the coaches doing? Apparently not paying any attention to what was happening on the field. My goodness, Cora was a second baseman. He should have got Beckham to move much closer to first base. Ozzie must have been looking into the stands at the time.

What's going on with this team and coaching staff? It's come to the point where it looks like we don't have any coaches.

But it was good to see there was room for one of Ozzie's overgrown kids to sit in the dugout.

sullythered
05-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Beckham being way late to cover first base was brutal. What will it take for him to be sent down?

That play shows how this team has no chance to do anything this season. Not only do the players continue to fall asleep, but the clown coaching continues, too. At the start of that play, Beckham was severely out of position. He was playing a handful of steps from second base. It was going to be tough for him to get to first base in time even if he was awake. As inexcusable as Beckham's blunder was, it's understandable that one person could fall asleep. But what were the coaches doing? Apparently not paying any attention to what was happening on the field. My goodness, Cora was a second baseman. He should have got Beckham to move much closer to first base. Ozzie must have been looking into the stands at the time.

What's going on with this team and coaching staff? It's come to the point where it looks like we don't have any coaches.

But it was good to see there was room for one of Ozzie's overgrown kids to sit in the dugout.

We won in a laffer, broski. And we're kinda rollin' right now. I'll always be a Sox fan, but boy are a lot of my brethren Crabby Gus's.

Foulke You
05-21-2011, 11:28 PM
It could be sooner than the ASB. The upcoming schedule for the Tribe gets really tough...arguably as tough as its been for them. They host the Red Sox for 3, then go on the road to play the Rays at Trop, and Blue Jays at Sky Dome. After that they come home to play the Rangers and Twins (arguably the only break in this stretch), and then head to New York to play the Yankees for four games. I have a feeling the Tribe will not be 13 games over .500 after this stretch. They are also entering this stretch of games with both Sizemore and Hafner on the DL.

Nellie_Fox
05-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Dunn did look great until he had the surgery.He had, what, one good game during that first week of the season? He has never looked "great" this year. He's on a pace to strike out about 240 times.

hi im skot
05-22-2011, 01:11 AM

I think Dunn was equally responsible for that play.

kufram
05-22-2011, 04:27 AM

That was Dunn's play all the way. Dunn didn't know what he was supposed to do so did nothing. PK would have known that it was Bhuerle's play and went to the bag. Beckham gets a hard time for a 2nd baseman without an error so far this year. He's lost at the plate but not on the field.

Lillibridge is the most improved player on the team and seems to have learned his job during the off season. Every team needs a guy like him and we haven't had one. I still don't think he is an every day player. If he's put in every day his shortcomings would be exposed, not that I'm against giving him a chance when we have others not pulling their weight. But Lillibridge has proven that he can be a valuable part of this team and one that can make a difference when given a chance.

PalehosePlanet
05-22-2011, 05:07 AM

Gordon was positioned at double play depth before the pitch, exactly where he should have been. It's a 1-0 game in the 4th, not necessarily a bunting situation.

The problem I think was that Adam hasn't played 1B with Buehrle on the mound, and didn't realize how quickly Mark gets off the mound. If he'd had more experience with Mark, he would have known to go back to the bag after his first step towards the plate.

Annoying as it was, I chalked this blunder up to simply not having played together, not a matter of fundamentals.

TomBradley72
05-22-2011, 07:42 AM
i think dunn was equally responsible for that play.

+1

russ99
05-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Im sure Ozzie's kid in the dugout was responsibe for Dunn standing still and not covering the bag when Beckham is playing double play depth... :rolleyes:

Great game to be at, great crowd. It was nice to see that we actually have a hitting coach with Rios's new open stance paying dividends. Looks like that may loosen him up at the plate, and get him going, home run aside.

IMO Dunn's issues are mostly mental. Pitchers are taking advantage of his initial patience to get him in a 0-2 or 1-2 count every time, and he's got a defeatist attitude with pitchers counts, it's almost like he's expecting to strike out. He should be looking first ball fastball and drop his seemingly stat-driven focus on OBP for a while in order to break out of it.

hawkjt
05-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Im sure Ozzie's kid in the dugout was responsibe for Dunn standing still and not covering the bag when Beckham is playing double play depth... :rolleyes:

Great game to be at, great crowd. It was nice to see that we actually have a hitting coach with Rios's new open stance paying dividends. Looks like that may loosen him up at the plate, and get him going, home run aside.

IMO Dunn's issues are mostly mental. Pitchers are taking advantage of his initial patience to get him in a 0-2 or 1-2 count every time, and he's got a defeatist attitude with pitchers counts, it's almost like he's expecting to strike out. He should be looking first ball fastball and drop his seemingly stat-driven focus on OBP for a while in order to break out of it.

I wish the fans would let up on Dunn. He is changing leagues,he is changing positions,and it is the first 20 home games of a 4 year contract.
What exactly is the benefit of booing the guy? He is hitting better on the road,so maybe he is feeling more pressure at home,and now the fans are booing him to increase that pressure? Do fans actually think he will now produce better due to their booing? I think it is counter-productive. You can sit on your hands,but booing does nothing to get Dunn back on track.

doublem23
05-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I think Dunn was equally responsible for that play.

Yeah, I think Hawk & Stone mentioned that if Konerko was at 1B he'd have known that Buehrle could get that ball and would have covered. That's just two guys who aren't familiar with one another.

Just a lot of things wrong on that play, most of all that bunt was just really go damn good.

kufram
05-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Booing Dunn is not a good idea. Booing a player for not succeeding is a dubious act in any case considering baseball is such a low percentage success rate sport. I doubt if he was patting himself on the back after 4 strikeouts.

Booing a player for not going all out is perfectly justified, but I don't think Dunn is being lazy or indifferent. On the bunt he just didn't know what to do probably, like others have said, because he didn't know Buehrle was going to get it easily like we all knew. Also, he has spent very little time on the field.

Home fans should be home fans in my opinion and it is way to early in his Chicago career to let Dunn know that the crowd isn't behind him when things are tough.

The Immigrant
05-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Dunn has no business hitting third until he shows signs of turning it around. Not sure what Ozzie is trying to prove by leaving him in that spot.

palehozenychicty
05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Indeed. Dunn needs to wake up, but don't boo the man.

hi im skot
05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Indeed. Dunn needs to wake up, but don't boo the man.

Agreed. Booing is completely stupid.

kufram
05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I think the only reason to leave Dunn at third is to show faith in him which could be important. New town, new league, new to dh.... maybe we just all have to have even more patience with the man.

sullythered
05-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Agreed. Booing is completely stupid.

There are certain instances when booing is reasonable. I booed Wil Cordero, for instance. To boo a guy for not hitting is just plain dumb, and probably counterproductive.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Only time I'm going to boo a player on my team is if they make an error.

hi im skot
05-22-2011, 01:23 PM
There are certain instances when booing is reasonable. I booed Wil Cordero, for instance. To boo a guy for not hitting is just plain dumb, and probably counterproductive.

Sure. Bad citizens and lazy play warrants booing, I'll give you that. However...

Only time I'm going to boo a player on my team is if they make an error.

Mistakes happen. It's one thing to air mail a throw to first base, and it's a completely different thing when you get lazy and try to make a one handed catch on a pop-up.

Errors happen. Generally speaking, I don't believe that errors should equal booing.

LoveYourSuit
05-22-2011, 02:00 PM
I really don't boo anyone because I realize it doesn't make a difference.

But when you are a paying customer and you feel like it is necessary to let your feelings out by booing, you have every right and go for it.

I won't do it, but I am in the minority. When people boo, usually 75% of the fans in attendance are there in agreement as they also boo.

JermaineDye05
05-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Sure. Bad citizens and lazy play warrants booing, I'll give you that. However...

Mistakes happen. It's one thing to air mail a throw to first base, and it's a completely different thing when you get lazy and try to make a one handed catch on a pop-up.

Errors happen. Generally speaking, I don't believe that errors should equal booing.

I should have clarified, I meant lazy errors such as dropping a routine fly ball.

It also depends on the time of game. If it's in the middle of the game and the Sox are up big, I'll probably turn the other cheek. But if it's late and it's a one run game, I'm less forgiving.

BainesHOF
05-22-2011, 02:29 PM
That was Dunn's play all the way.

Uh, that's not what Hawk said. In fact, Beckham's No. 1 apologist immediately pinned the blame on him without hesitation so that should tell you how big of a blunder it was. I don't mind that Beckham was positioning himself to turn a double play, but he was still far too close to second base for the situation. The result speaks for itself. Sure, Dunn could have handled the play better, but the player ultimately responsible for covering first base in that situation is the second baseman.

Moving on...

GoSox2K3
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
I think the only reason to leave Dunn at third is to show faith in him which could be important. New town, new league, new to dh.... maybe we just all have to have even more patience with the man.

Dunn has 5 strikeouts over the last two days while playing 1B against a National League team.

That being said, I agree that booing him is stupid.

Lip Man 1
05-22-2011, 05:44 PM
As long as the "insults" aren't racial, sexual or beyond the bounds of good taste a paying fan has the right to boo as often as they wish.

Lip

doublem23
05-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I really don't boo anyone because I realize it doesn't make a difference.

But when you are a paying customer and you feel like it is necessary to let your feelings out by booing, you have every right and go for it.

I won't do it, but I am in the minority. When people boo, usually 75% of the fans in attendance are there in agreement as they also boo.

Right, that's roughly how I feel, I doubt a professional, Major League baseball player needs to be told that he's in a slump, so I try and save my booing for the Juan Pierres, Dewayne Wises, Mark Kotsays, and Mark Teahens of the world... Guys who are actually really, really bad baseball players and not guys just in a funk.

But I really don't think it matters much.

ChiSoxGirl
05-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Dunn has no business hitting third until he shows signs of turning it around. Not sure what Ozzie is trying to prove by leaving him in that spot.

I find it interesting that Ozzie is smart enough to play Dunn at first base to see if that helps him get out of his own head, but he's not smart enough to move the guy out of the three hole. He'd be much better off in the fourth or fifth spot in the lineup. If Pierre continues hitting, what good does a strikeout from Dunn do the team?

Nellie_Fox
05-23-2011, 01:20 AM
As long as the "insults" aren't racial, sexual or beyond the bounds of good taste a paying fan has the right to boo as often as they wish.

LipJust because you can doesn't mean you should. I've always been opposed to booing a player for anything but lack of effort.

I'm not a Dunn fan. I don't like high strikeout guys, and there's none higher. But booing him accomplishes nothing. It can't help, and it can certainly hurt. Now that he's here, I want him to succeed.

asindc
05-23-2011, 07:57 AM
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I've always been opposed to booing a player for anything but lack of effort.

I'm not a Dunn fan. I don't like high strikeout guys, and there's none higher. But booing him accomplishes nothing. It can't help, and it can certainly hurt. Now that he's here, I want him to succeed.

Well said. No one has suggested in this thread that there is no right to boo, but what does it accomplish?

kufram
05-23-2011, 08:05 AM

Lip

Of course the first amendment to the Constitution applies here. People have the "right" to boo whenever they want. I just don't think it is right or in any way helpful or even dignified to exercise it toward Dunn in this situation.

kufram
05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
Uh, that's not what Hawk said. In fact, Beckham's No. 1 apologist immediately pinned the blame on him without hesitation so that should tell you how big of a blunder it was. I don't mind that Beckham was positioning himself to turn a double play, but he was still far too close to second base for the situation. The result speaks for itself. Sure, Dunn could have handled the play better, but the player ultimately responsible for covering first base in that situation is the second baseman.

Moving on...

Won't be the first time Hawk was wrong.

Lip Man 1
05-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Nellie:

I understand your point of view and I agree it probably doesn't help but fans should be able to get the frustration out when a team or individual is playing poorly. They can't break a bat over a toilet or punch a locker. (LOL)

I understand that in 99% of the circumstances (save for Claudell Washington :D:) players are trying...but this is a results business as well as a "what have you done recently" one. I recall a line out of a John Wayne movie (can't remember the title) but he said, "trying don't get it done..."

Fair or unfair that's the nature of the game and the players know that.

These are grown men getting paid millions to perform, not high school kids playing for the fun of it. They can take it, if not...they may need to consider another profession.

Lip

SI1020
05-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I've always been opposed to booing a player for anything but lack of effort.
Yes. I am loath to boo a White Sox player for any other reason than not trying.