PDA

View Full Version : Konerko Quote Twisted

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 03:28 PM
Anyone else catch this? Sometimes and probably being the key words omitted.

Here is the actual quote from the South Town:

"I don't know. I'm not one to jump on an older guy because I haven't been around that long, but it is a team concept. Sometimes there's no question that he probably fails in that area ."

Trib and Rick Morrisseys' version:

But it is a team concept. There's no question he probably failed in that area. If he gets upset at that, then he can.

I'm not one to jump on an older [player], but it is a team concept, and there's no question he fails in that area . If he gets upset at that, go ahead. It's just fact.

Just my opinion, but doesn't the Trib and Sun-Times version of the quote, make Thomas sound like more of a "cancer" then he's being made out to be?

doublem23
07-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Just my opinion, but doesn't the Trib and Sun-Times version of the quote, make Thomas sound like more of a "cancer" then he's bring made out to be?

Of course they do.

You know, the way the Sox fans and the Chicago media shred this guy, one of the best players in franchise history, I really can't blame anyone for not wanting to play for the Sox.

:reinsy
And you all said it was my fault.

FarWestChicago
07-08-2002, 03:36 PM
Just my opinion, but doesn't the Trib and Sun-Times version of the quote, make Thomas sound like more of a "cancer" then he's bring made out to be? Yes. But, they did need something to cover up for their Sham-ME this weekend.

:nandrolone

I'll give America Zingers tonight!! That's what's important.

duke of dorwood
07-08-2002, 03:38 PM
You mean the "Weekly World" Tribune and the "SUN" times?

DVG
07-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I absolutely refuse to believe that those bastions of respectable
journalism would take quotes and twist them out of context.
Especially the Tribune!!! We all know that there is no bias
against the Sox!! And all fans who think so are morons!!!!
:teal

MarqSox
07-08-2002, 03:53 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone that it's possible to misconstrue "failed" with "fails?" Journalists are supposed to get the quote exactly right, but c'mon, I really don't think that's an example of bias. It happens.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Did it ever occur to anyone that it's possible to misconstrue "failed" with "fails?" Journalists are supposed to get the quote exactly right, but c'mon, I really don't think that's an example of bias. It happens.

How about missing sometimes and probably? I'm not trying to say it's bias, the quote just makes Thomas look worse. Which was what Morrissey was trying to do in his column, his version of the quote made his article sound better.

I'm not trying to make a big stink out of this, just wanted to point it out.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 04:10 PM

How about missing sometimes and probably? I'm not trying to say it's bias, the quote just makes Thomas look worse. Which was what Morrissey was trying to do in his column, his version of the quote made his article sound better.

I'm not trying to make a big stink out of this, just wanted to point it out. jeeze that is alot of different meaning in both what was printed.............. again, make me believe in not believing in everything you read.........

FarWestChicago
07-08-2002, 05:46 PM
Did it ever occur to anyone that it's possible to misconstrue "failed" with "fails?" Journalists are supposed to get the quote exactly right, but c'mon, I really don't think that's an example of bias. It happens. :crossdresser

MarqSox is right. The media in Chicago shows no pro-Flub, anti-Sox bias.

MarqSox
07-08-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:crossdresser

MarqSox is right. The media in Chicago shows no pro-Flub, anti-Sox bias.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think we Sox Fans tend to look for (and find) bias where it simply doesn't exist.

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:44 PM
I think Jerry & his investors should consider buying the Sun-times, Daily Southtown, and 670 "the score". Give the Cubs a little bit of their own medicine.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
I think Jerry & his investors should consider buying the Sun-times, Daily Southtown, and 670 "the score". Give the Cubs a little bit of their own medicine. that would be great and start up another channel like wgn, tbs, and tnt so we can put both the bulls and sox on them.

then again......... i should wake up from my pipe dream

WhiteSoxWinner
07-09-2002, 01:41 AM

I am neither a respected journalist, nor do I write professionally, but I posted the quote last night (See Konerko: The New General of this Team), after listening to the clip on ESPN, and I was much closer than the Trib or the Times. I'd bet they'd get Sham-me's quote right word for garbbled word.