PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5/20 Big Bacon Blast highlights depressing downer to the Dodgers Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:29 PM
Bummer

soltrain21
05-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Sergio had to give up runs eventually. It'd be nice if the offense scored more than three runs off of Ted ****ing Lilly.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-20-2011, 11:31 PM
21-25 sure sounds better than 20-26. Very disappointing job by Santos and the offense. Anytime Adam Dunn wants to heal from his appendix surgery is fine by me.

Nelfox02
05-20-2011, 11:32 PM
That. Sucked.

when crain got out of that jam in the 8th I figured this was a done deal....

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:32 PM
21-25 sure sounds better than 20-26. Very disappointing job by Santos and the offense. Anytime Adam Dunn wants to heal from his appendix surgery is fine by me.

Anytime Ozzie wants to get his head out of his rectum regarding batting Dunn third against lefties is fine by me.

SOXYoose
05-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Hate to lose em like this but it looks like everyone but DUNN is starting to look good.

LongLiveFisk
Still hoping to take 2 out of 3...but what are the pitching matchups for these next two games?

Blueprint1
We still can't hit. :(:

DSpivack
05-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Still hoping to take 2 out of 3...but what are the pitching matchups for these next two games?

Buehrle-Garland tomorrow.

Jackson-Kuroda sunday.

JB98
05-20-2011, 11:36 PM
These guys hit better on the road.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:36 PM
The Sox have never faced Garland previously, and he's a soft tosser. What are the odds the Sox will be tipping their caps?

hi im skot
05-20-2011, 11:39 PM
The Sox have never faced Garland previously, and he's a soft tosser. What are the odds the Sox will be tipping their caps?

They've faced him in Anaheim.

Crestani
05-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Hay Hawk, was that one of your defining moments to the 2011 season???

Or was it the 4-1 blown lead in the 9th inning to the A's?

Or the 7-4 blown lead to Tampa Bay in the 9th?

Or???:angry:

tstrike2000
05-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Tired of hearing about the 4 or 5 guys who are really struggling in our lineup that they are going to "figure it out."

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:42 PM
They've faced him in Anaheim.

Different league. Embellishment is acceptable when making excuses. Gotta cover for the hitting coach, because it's not the job of the hitting coach to teach/coach his hitters to hit better.

hi im skot
05-20-2011, 11:43 PM
New league. Embellishment is acceptable when making excuses. Gotta cover for the hitting coach, because it's not the job of the hitting coach to teach/coach his hitters to hit better.

You need some new material, methinks.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
You need some new material, methinks.

Hard to come up with new stuff when you see the same crap for five years.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Unconfirmed reports say Saint Walker was seen preparing to be raptured up to heaven in a few hours.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-20-2011, 11:48 PM
The six man rotation geniuses might want to consider that it means working with a smaller bullpen in every one of those games.

LoveYourSuit
05-20-2011, 11:50 PM
The six man rotation geniuses might want to consider that it means working with a smaller bullpen in every one of those games.

I don't think a short bullpen (if 6 guys even considered short) cost us this game.

The SP went 7 innings, what more do you want?

HaroMaster87
05-20-2011, 11:53 PM
WHY do you leave your closer in to pitch a second inning???

Ozzie is so damn frustrating...

hi im skot
05-20-2011, 11:59 PM
WHY do you leave your closer in to pitch a second inning???

Ozzie is so damn frustrating...

Not sure why you put "closer" in sea green (not teal), as Santos is obviously our closer. Or are you just upset that Santos had the nerve to finally give up a run after 23+ innings?

southsideirish71
05-21-2011, 12:00 AM
So when exactly is the offense going to start functioning. Ted Lilly threw 3 mediocre pitches. He gives up the Beckham homer and then goes to two pitches. He didn't have command or the stuff to get the results he wound up with. He was very lucky he was facing our hittless hero's, a real offense would of sent him to the showers early. Well don't worry we have two sinker ball pitchers facing us.

Noneck
05-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I really wonder what is going on.

10th inning, 1st and 2nd, no outs, down by 3 runs and Ramirez is bunting. I dont get it.

slavko
05-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Sergio had to give up runs eventually. It'd be nice if the offense scored more than three runs off of Ted ****ing Lilly.

Of course he did. Too bad it had to come when he got behind 2-1 and threw a belt high fastball nicely centered. Better to lose the batter than to give in. He'll learn, but the bloom is off the rose for Sergio.

I was ready to compare Beckham to Chris Getz and say there isn't much difference before he hit that dinger. I'll still do it. Is there that much difference? Other than his tarnished halo? Even if Getz is similarly bad.

Dunn, I don't have an answer. Likewise R.100s. Take it a game at a time and enjoy the sport, we're not going to the World Series.

JB98
05-21-2011, 12:04 AM
I really wonder what is going on.

10th inning, 1st and 2nd, no outs, down by 3 runs and Ramirez is bunting. I dont get it.

I assume he was doing that on his own. I've seen a lot of evidence lately that Alexei is baseball stupid.

BringHomeDaBacon
I don't think a short bullpen (if 6 guys even considered short) cost us this game.

The SP went 7 innings, what more do you want?

I consider it more of a four man bullpen considering that Ohman and Pena should be avoided in close games if at all possible. (It is now less possible) He used the closer tonight for an extra inning presumably because of a lack of another trustworthy option after having used Crain/Thornton to get through one inning. Santos will not be available tomorrow. I agree it probably didn't cost us the game tonight but it's going to have a ripple effect.

If you don't consider the 6 short then they're playing a man short on the bench. Either way its like playing with a 24 man roster.

HaroMaster87
Not sure why you put "closer" in sea green (not teal), as Santos is obviously our closer. Or are you just upset that Santos had the nerve to finally give up a run after 23+ innings?

So to be a member of the teal police force, do you guys get badges or??? Whatever makes you feel special buddy...my browser doesnt name the colors for me when i leave my pointer over them so i guessed.

I did it because our manager refuses to publicly name him the closer...even though he obviously is. Because the other candidates pissed down their proverbial legs when given the opportunity.

And again, why leave him in to pitch a second inning??

SoxSpeed22
05-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Sucks for Phil since he pitched great after that 2 run homer. Santos was due to give up a run eventually, but he was left hanging in the 10th.
This better not lead to more bull**** about the offense 'pressing.'

WhiteSox5187
05-21-2011, 12:11 AM
I don't really blame this one so much on Santos (even though he absolutely is to blame) because he was destined to have a bad outing at some point. But really, a lot of blame should fall on the ****ing hitters. If our pitchers give up more than two runs they are in serious danger of losing the ****ing game. I don't know what the **** a hitting coach does obviously, but I am fairly certain that Greg Walker doesn't either.

soxnut1018
05-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Unconfirmed reports say Saint Walker was seen preparing to be raptured up to heaven in a few hours.

He's been implementing the Golden Rule of hit like you want to be hit for years now.

soltrain21
05-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Of course he did. Too bad it had to come when he got behind 2-1 and threw a belt high fastball nicely centered. Better to lose the batter than to give in. He'll learn, but the bloom is off the rose for Sergio.

I was ready to compare Beckham to Chris Getz and say there isn't much difference before he hit that dinger. I'll still do it. Is there that much difference? Other than his tarnished halo? Even if Getz is similarly bad.

Dunn, I don't have an answer. Likewise R.100s. Take it a game at a time and enjoy the sport, we're not going to the World Series.

Holy overreaction, Batman. Sergio is the man. Every ****ing pitcher in the world gives up runs.

ChiSoxGal85
05-21-2011, 01:02 AM
I have been waiting for Sergio to finally give up a run, it just sucks that it was a game where that one run made the difference. Seems he was a little rattled by the blown save in the 10th. I hope this doesn't shake his confidence.

Ah, well...tomorrow is another day.

captain54
05-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Holy overreaction, Batman. Sergio is the man. Every ****ing pitcher in the world gives up runs.

if the Sox could have scored more than 3 runs it wouldn't even be an issue...there's no room for error

the White Sox will never be consistent offensively under this regime. I get lulled into thinking things have turned the corner, and then, voila! the offense goes to sleep...again...

many thanks to Greg "employed for life" Walker and his hitless wonders for another failed offensive performance....

Lip Man 1
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
Another big kick in the gut loss.

5th time this year the Sox lost a game when entering the 7th inning or later with the lead...unbelievably four times they done it in the 9th inning.

The karma isn't right with this team, that's about all you can say.

Ozzie seemed to go out of his way Thursday night defending his coaching staff and the job they do...makes you wonder if Kenny wouldn't like to clean out the entire bunch at the end of the season, or maybe has already tried to do so and was rebuffed.

Lip

SBSoxFan
05-21-2011, 01:11 AM

He completely missed his spot on that pitch. Castro setup low and away. No one always hits their spots, and they don't always go for home runs either.

I have been waiting for Sergio to finally give up a run, it just sucks that it was a game where that one run made the difference. Seems he was a little rattled by the blown save in the 10th. I hope this doesn't shake his confidence.

He was fine getting out of the ninth. Now the tenth ... :dunno:

captain54
05-21-2011, 01:50 AM
The karma isn't right with this team, that's about all you can say.

Lip

I think the die has already been pretty much cast for this season.. there will be a series of runs and an apparent turn-a-round of the seaon, intermingled with maddening losses and the customary Greg Walker U.s Patented ice cold offensive streak after the All Star break..

Ozzie will be urging his charges to "fight" "fight" "fight", and the organization and talking heads within the organization or on the radio/ post game show will still be proclaiming up until August that this is a talented team and oh- you- just- wait -until -they -bust- out- boy.. and in the meanwhile, on October 3rd, Sox finish 9 games out of first...exactly where they are now.

We've seen it all before and frankly, the only thing I'm starting to look forward to is a possible revamp of the entire organization from top to bottom.

thomas35forever
05-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Just our luck that Sergio gives up clutch hits to no-names. Forget about it. Get 'em tomorrow (if they even play).

Crooked Number
05-21-2011, 02:44 AM
I assume he was doing that on his own. I've seen a lot of evidence lately that Alexei is baseball stupid.

When the Sox had Lilly on the ropes, Alexei came up and had worked himself a count in his favor. He then proceeded to walk to first on 3-0, called strike. Then, on the very next pitch, he inexplicably starts to walk to first again, called strike two. Then he proceeds to strike out. That sequence of events changed the entire complexion of the game. Lilly settled down after that, and pitched deep into the game, giving LA a great chance at a win.

I just don't understand how a professional baseball player would think that it's a good idea before the pitch is even called to start walking to first. Its not just Ramirez, see it all the time all over the league. It's mind boggling.

When the Sox lose games, they seem to lose in the most agonizing terrible fashion. Therefore, this game feels like a backbreaker that could start another tailspin. When, in reality they have been playing much better ball, and still have a shot at winning the series. One game at a time. Lets get Judy tomorrow.

kufram
05-21-2011, 08:44 AM

Now we will find out if Santos really is a "closer". Can he forget the 9th and 10th before the next game starts? I think he will be better for it. A blown save was inevitable.

This game was a bad loss I guess, but is there a good loss? I don't think so. It is how players respond after a loss that matters and that has not been good up to now. I hope that is what is changing and that the players come out with something to prove today.

I get to see Sat. and Sun. live this week-end so win please? For me?

doublem23
05-21-2011, 08:51 AM
How 2011 White Sox-y was that game, AMIRITE?

Bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeegh. Get 'em tomorrow.

LongLiveFisk
05-21-2011, 09:57 AM
When the Sox had Lilly on the ropes, Alexei came up and had worked himself a count in his favor. He then proceeded to walk to first on 3-0, called strike. Then, on the very next pitch, he inexplicably starts to walk to first again, called strike two. Then he proceeds to strike out. That sequence of events changed the entire complexion of the game. Lilly settled down after that, and pitched deep into the game, giving LA a great chance at a win.

I just don't understand how a professional baseball player would think that it's a good idea before the pitch is even called to start walking to first. Its not just Ramirez, see it all the time all over the league. It's mind boggling.

You see an awful lot of this lately. I even put in the postgame thread "You are not the umpire, Alexei". Batters need to stay focused on a 3-0 count. A walk is not a foregone conclusion. It was as if he gave up on trying to get a hit but expected to be walked, thus resulting in a strike out. A lot of umps are not falling for the act, so Alexei needs to knock it off, IMO.

DumpJerry
05-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Let's see now.....if the Sox maintain this consistent pattern of winning three and losing one.....that means......97 wins.

Fire Ozzie.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Thomas:

It's happened more than once this season. Remember Thornton blew the game in the "tipping point" of the season game with Oakland to a guy hitting less than .200 with one RBI.

Lip

GlassSox
05-21-2011, 11:46 AM

So once again he is in the opposite direction of his hitters? :redneck

Crestani
05-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Another big kick in the gut loss.

Ozzie seemed to go out of his way Thursday night defending his coaching staff and the job they do...makes you wonder if Kenny wouldn't like to clean out the entire bunch at the end of the season, or maybe has already tried to do so and was rebuffed.

Lip

Wait a minute. It was Kenny who got us Adam Dunn & Alex Rios, not the coaching staff..!!

I had seen enough of Adam Dunn here in SD playing the Padres to know he is a strike out machine. Kenny was so enamored with the idea of Dunn hitting 50 HR's at the Cell, that he simply cannot stop himself sometimes..!!

Just my thoughts!!

Brian26
05-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Let's see now.....if the Sox maintain this consistent pattern of winning three and losing one.....that means......97 wins.

Fire Ozzie.

Yeah, amazingly the Sox have won nine out of 14 and have been playing decent ball.

The good news is that the Sox are only five games out of the wild card.

The bad news is that they need to jump over nine teams to get there.

kufram
05-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Nine teams are within jumping distance. There were a number of posters on this site screaming for Dunn last year.

Foulke You
05-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Nine teams are within jumping distance. There were a number of posters on this site screaming for Dunn last year.
The criticism of Dunn will die down as soon as he starts blasting HRs which WILL happen. He will have at least 35 by the end of the season. I still think he is the right DH for this lineup but I don't think he should be batting 3rd especially against a lefty pitcher.

Zakath
05-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, amazingly the Sox have won nine out of 14 and have been playing decent ball.

The good news is that the Sox are only five games out of the wild card.

The bad news is that they need to jump over nine teams to get there.

In August, that would be an issue.

In May, it's an inconvenience, especially with 116 games left.

doublem23
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM

You're right, **** these proven Major League players, let's just collect a bunch of AAAA journeymen and washed up scrubs. At least they'll be grindy.

SI1020
05-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Nine teams are within jumping distance. There were a number of posters on this site screaming for Dunn last year. In past years screaming for Juan Pierre and Chone Figgins. How about drafting, signing and developing some good talent of your own so you don't depend on catching lightning in a bottle every year.

kufram
05-21-2011, 01:28 PM
You're right, **** these proven Major League players, let's just collect a bunch of AAAA journeymen and washed up scrubs. At least they'll be grindy.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm advocating, obviously. Read my posts and you will see that I've been saying all along that we have 3 or 4 proven major league hitters failing badly right now that will hit near their lifetime averages come season's end.

Dunn is not my favourite type of player and I don't think he would have saved the season by himself last year but I believe he will do what he has been prone to do for a while now... hit over 30 homers and be a force in the lineup.

kufram
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
In past years screaming for Juan Pierre and Chone Figgins. How about drafting, signing and developing some good talent of your own so you don't depend on catching lightning in a bottle every year.

If only it were true that the White Sox drafted, signed, and developed young players. They don't. I'm not saying I wouldn't like it if they did work that way, but I'm not sure if they ever have worked that way very much.

kufram
05-21-2011, 01:36 PM
The criticism of Dunn will die down as soon as he starts blasting HRs which WILL happen. He will have at least 35 by the end of the season. I still think he is the right DH for this lineup but I don't think he should be batting 3rd especially against a lefty pitcher.

Agreed. Has he ever hit left handed pitchers? I'm asking... I don't know.

TomBradley72
05-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Agreed. Has he ever hit left handed pitchers? I'm asking... I don't know.

For his career- .230 vs. lefties with an .804 OPS.

W/RISP- career average = .229 with .881 OPS

kufram
05-21-2011, 01:46 PM
For his career- .230 vs. lefties with an .804 OPS.

W/RISP- career average = .229 with .881 OPS

Hmmm... to get to .230 this year he's got to do some damage soon, eh? Not sure that will happen but it does mean he's better than .000

Hitmen77
05-21-2011, 02:09 PM

It's not the appendix surgery. Dunn just needs time to adjust to American League pitching after spending his entire career in the NL. If he was facing an NL team yesterday......oh, wait a minute....never mind.

SI1020
05-21-2011, 02:13 PM
If only it were true that the White Sox drafted, signed, and developed young players. They don't. I'm not saying I wouldn't like it if they did work that way, but I'm not sure if they ever have worked that way very much. At times in my life as a Sox fan they've had a very productive farm system.

Lip Man 1
05-21-2011, 05:33 PM
Sox and Yankees had the best farm systems in baseball in the 1950's and 1960's. They also had that amazing strech (because they were putrid) in the late 80's which brought them Thomas, Ventura, McDowell and Fernandez.

Lip

tony1972
05-23-2011, 10:59 AM

Bunts are great and grinderish! Remember..it's against Small Ball rules to put up more than 1 or 2 runs in an inning...