PDA

View Full Version : Interleague's Single Biggest Issue

Lip Man 1
05-20-2011, 04:40 PM
By Jayson Stark. Echoes some of the comments Bob Costas has made and a possible solution proposed by two baseball people is VERY interesting:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&page=rumblings110520

Lip

downstairs
05-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Grumble, grumble, grumble... its 15-ish games, and its not like basketball where the best team wins almost every game.

I do like the idea of seeding based on last year's results... but that would result in long stretches playing the same teams... because teams generally do well or poorly for years straight.

WhiteSox5187
05-20-2011, 06:28 PM
Grumble, grumble, grumble... its 15-ish games, and its not like basketball where the best team wins almost every game.

I do like the idea of seeding based on last year's results... but that would result in long stretches playing the same teams... because teams generally do well or poorly for years straight.

I agree with this, I'm sick of the bitching from some teams "Well we have to play the Reds where the Red Sox get to play the Cubs!" Just deal with it, besides the AL usually dominates these games anyway. Any team can get hot anytime.

TDog
05-20-2011, 07:02 PM
This problem isn't limited to interleague play. Even without interleague play, this issue would exist as a wild card issue where you have teams competing against each other for the best second-place record.

You could balance the schedule and eliminate interleague play, but then there would be no reason to have a series or two to determine who goes to the World Series, unless the regular season ends in a tie.

Gavin
05-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Good teams win most of their games. Jayson Stark is just being a whiny baby.

Tragg
05-20-2011, 07:57 PM
They used to put one division against another plus the "rivalries". They stopped doing that.
Return to one division against another, and "rivalries" should be just for 1 series. And the only real rivalries are subways series: Rangers-Astros is not a rivalry.

Frater Perdurabo
05-20-2011, 08:12 PM
They used to put one division against another plus the "rivalries". They stopped doing that.
Return to one division against another, and "rivalries" should be just for 1 series. And the only real rivalries are subways series: Rangers-Astros is not a rivalry.

Put Houston in the AL West to create 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Play interleague series throughout the year. Exclude interleague games from wild card standings.

Gavin
05-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Put Houston in the AL West to create 6 divisions of 5 teams each. Play interleague series throughout the year. Exclude interleague games from wild card standings.

Stop what you're doing, with your sense-making and whatnot. But seriously though, why wouldn't Houston want to be in the AL West? It'd be a lot ****ing easier to get to the playoffs.

PKalltheway
05-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Good teams win most of their games. Jayson Stark is just being a whiny baby.
100% agree. The cream will rise to the top over the course of 162 games.

miker
05-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Stop what you're doing, with your sense-making and whatnot. But seriously though, why wouldn't Houston want to be in the AL West? It'd be a lot ****ing easier to get to the playoffs.

But they WOULD lose the Grateful Dead-like swarm of fans that invade town every time the Cubbies visit Houston.

I'd imagine the other NL Central teams would object to moving for similar reasons.

g0g0
05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
But they WOULD lose the Grateful Dead-like swarm of fans that invade town every time the Cubbies visit Houston.

I'd imagine the other NL Central teams would object to moving for similar reasons.

+1 though it's like that with a lot of teams that have a good fan base.

I don't mind interleague just for the simple fact that it allows me to watch the Cubs play teams that they normally don't. I'm dong the 30 ballpark thing, but I'm doing it with the Cubs playing that team. So it might take me a long time to accomplish it, but it'll eventually happen. If not, I'll have to make a few exceptions.

TheVulture
05-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I agree with this, I'm sick of the bitching from some teams "Well we have to play the Reds where the Red Sox get to play the Cubs!" Just deal with it, besides the AL usually dominates these games anyway. Any team can get hot anytime.

The problem is with the wildcard - how a wildcard winner can be fairly determined with the highly unbalanced schedule is beyond me. If you had division winners only in the playoffs, it wouldn't be a problem IMO.

sunofgold
05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
C'mon White Sox dominate interleague games. MB is the interleague wins leader. I want to play the Nationals, Pirates, Cubs, Diamondbacks, and Astros every year.

I like interleague play. What is the World Series but interleague play between the best team of each league.

KMcMahon817
05-21-2011, 07:45 PM

That is a good theory. Would you be able to play enough series in that format to just play every team in the opposite league once? I am guessing not, but that would get rid of the uneven schedule. And plus, it would be cool to actually play every team in MLB once instead of just not playing 10 teams each season.

chisoxfanatic
05-22-2011, 01:30 AM
That is a good theory. Would you be able to play enough series in that format to just play every team in the opposite league once? I am guessing not, but that would get rid of the uneven schedule. And plus, it would be cool to actually play every team in MLB once instead of just not playing 10 teams each season.
I'd love for that to happen. In the NHL, everyone plays every other team at least once each season. The NFL is the only league where it's impossible to do so. Teams don't need to play 18 games against teams in their division. They can go back to the 12 games like they did about a decade ago, and then they can play all the other teams in the other league.

Dub25
05-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Interleague's biggest issue might be Mark Buehrle's 24-8 record...

PeteWard
05-22-2011, 02:29 AM

Please don't insult Deadheads like that! :wink:

Dub25
05-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Please don't insult Deadheads like that! :wink:

Deadheads stink and then they made Dave Mathews Shows stink and I stayed from then on...

Dan H
05-22-2011, 03:24 AM
I just want interleague play to go away completely.

Lamp81
05-22-2011, 10:19 PM
For all of the interleague rivalry series, they should be back to back, 2 game series. Like 2 games at the Cell and 2 games at Wrigley. They could be Monday thru Thursday. The rivalry opponents usually are in the same geographic area, so travel wouldn't be an issue. That would at least remove 2 games from the interleague schedule that could be allocated to league schedules.

Not much of a solution, but a start. Outside of the rivalry games, each team in each division should play the same teams, an equal amount of times. And move Milwaukee back to the AL, for 15 teams in each league.

The schedule would be balanced by off days and interleague games. There is no reason the Sox can't play the Rockies in August or the Dodgers in April. Why do they only have to be played in May-July?

Lip Man 1
05-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Selig is trying to build "excitment" by asking that the schedule be division heavy after the All Star break. He doesn't want that taken away from. But I agree with you, it might make the schedule actually easier to do from a travel standpoint by fitting in interleague games say when a team is on one of the coasts instead of trying to 'shoehorn' those games into an additional road trip.

Lip

A. Cavatica
05-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Interleague play's single biggest issue is that most people in most markets don't give a flying **** about it. I count myself in that category -- I couldn't care less if we play the Cubs.

JB98
05-23-2011, 12:20 AM
I don't like Interleague. I especially hate the series with the Cubs -- brings out the worst in both fan bases, IMO. But the reality is it is here to stay, so let's just win the games that are on our schedule.

doublem23
05-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Interleague play's single biggest issue is that most people in most markets don't give a flying **** about it. I count myself in that category -- I couldn't care less if we play the Cubs.

This statement would be a lot more meaningful if the actual attendance numbers didn't rebuke it 100%.

bluedemon45
05-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Who doesn't get fired up for the crosstown cup?

sox1970
05-23-2011, 03:01 PM
They should make both leagues 15 teams, and play interleague all season, with either one or three series going all the time.

It would make it more fair for teams that have injury issues or are just playing bad baseball in late June. As far as strength of schedule, when you play these games is more of an issue than who you play.

If they spread it thin throughout the season, it's easier for the fans that don't like it, to ignore it.

There are still 18 games on your team's schedule, and they all count in the standings. So from that angle, fans of the individual teams will still go to the games and watch them on TV.

I also think they should make the "natural rival" series, back to three games. One series is enough, and it would also quiet the strength of schedule critics.

And if they're going to keep the DH in the AL/pitchers hit in the NL, then they should make the middle game of each interleague series the opposite league's rules, so DH's don't sit for a whole series.

russ99
05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

Travel. Massive amounts of extra travel. Plus most road games not being during hours where kids can watch.

Not to mention the elimination of rivalries (and the associated gate) with the Cards, Reds and Cubs. Do you think the A's and Mariners are going to draw at all in Houston?

The Astros will never willingly move to a west division unless at least one of the above Central teams moves with them.

Also, Rangers-Astros is becoming a "real rivalry". Rivalries develop from playing a nearby team often.

CPditka
05-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Its not like they dont live in the 4th biggest city in the USA, gotta draw better. With or w/o the cubs flock.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Selig is trying to build "excitment" by asking that the schedule be division heavy after the All Star break. He doesn't want that taken away from. But I agree with you, it might make the schedule actually easier to do from a travel standpoint by fitting in interleague games say when a team is on one of the coasts instead of trying to 'shoehorn' those games into an additional road trip.

Lip

I think he has it backwards. If your team is competing for the division, the games are exciting no matter who they are playing. In fact, I think it's more exciting to see two contending teams from different divisions. Too many games against the same teams becomes tiresome and repetitive even if they are competing for the same playoff spot.

Parrothead
05-24-2011, 07:30 AM
Who doesn't get fired up for the crosstown cup?

me. it is just another game with a bunch of drunks there.

TommyJohn
05-24-2011, 07:59 AM
me. it is just another game with a bunch of drunks there.

YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Let's show how much we like our team by SHOUTING at the top of our LUNGS!!!!! Yeeeeeeaaahhhhh!!!!

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2011, 10:28 AM
I don't like Interleague. I especially hate the series with the Cubs -- brings out the worst in both fan bases, IMO. But the reality is it is here to stay, so let's just win the games that are on our schedule.

My sentiments exactly.

Jerko
05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Each division should play the same division and rotate every year. Some teams may come here MORE often that way. Can't remember the last time the Reds or Brewers came to town (to play the Sox). IIRC the Reds came right after they got Griffey and he promptly got hurt and didn't play at the Cell.

Red Barchetta
05-24-2011, 12:50 PM
I agree. ^^^

Go with six, five-team divisions and impose interleague throughout the season to balance the schedule. Then on any given season, each division only plays another inter-league division. That way, they can't say the Cubs played the Yankees while the Cardinals played the Twins.

I would rather the SOX only play the Cubs every 3 years vs. the circus it's turned into aka "The Chicago Cup"?!

If Selig wants to add two more wild card teams, fine. I like the idea of the wild cards playing each other to advance while the division winners get the rest and the ability to set their rotations. That way, winning the division means something vs. the one game home field advantage.