PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo's Sox Mailbag

Lip Man 1
05-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Really interesting this week. Answers question on who is responsible for the poor start, Baines coaching first, Ozzie leaving Thornton in the game at Seattle, the lack of a minor league system, Tony Pena and others. Pretty good read:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-sox-mark-gonzales-mailbag-may18,0,6013508,full.story

Lip

Tragg
05-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Williams stayed in Chicago to go over talent from other teams with his scouts

+The Sox had been wanting Teahen badly from the Royals for years.

= Yikes

russ99
05-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Williams stayed in Chicago to go over talent from other teams with his scouts

+The Sox had been wanting Teahen badly from the Royals for years.

= Yikes

Player 1 - 2006 OPS: .874
Player 2 - 2006 OPS: .855

Player 2 is Adam Dunn, Player 1 is Teahen.

There are reasons the Sox wanted him, but everyone here assumes a player is useless after a tough couple of months.

So I guess a month from now, Dunn will be considered useless.

SI1020
05-19-2011, 01:47 PM

There are reasons the Sox wanted him, but everyone here assumes a player is useless after a tough couple of months.

So I guess a month from now, Dunn will be considered useless. Nice job of cherry picking some stats. Teahen hasn't been anywhere near that productive since. It's been mostly a tough career for him, not just a rough couple of months.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Nice job of cherry picking some stats. Teahen hasn't been anywhere near that productive since. It's been mostly a tough career for him, not just a rough couple of months.

That post should go down in the cherry picking hall of fame.

DSpivack
05-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Adam Dunn career OPS: .897
Mark Teahen career OPS: .744

russ99
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
That post should go down in the cherry picking hall of fame.

I don't see this as cherry picking, and nowhere am I saying Teahen is as good now as he was in 2006.

I'm saying he was scouted in 2006, and as per Kenny's MO as GM, he likes to get guys who haven't played to expectations and get them cheap in the hopes that he can bounce back. Worked for Dye, hasn't especially worked for Rios.

Lip Man 1
05-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Russ:

I'll agree that Mark has been misused a lot by Ozzie, he's not a starter...never was, never will be. He's a valuable guy to have off the bench at best twice a week but that's another issue.

It is clear that when he has played he's been brutal defensively and very inconsistent hitting-wise. He's not the same player as when he was with K.C.

Why Kenny gave him an extension I don't know but I understand from a source (and I hope to hear more on this in the next few weeks if so I'll pass it along...) that part of the issue here may not be just Kenny.

I'm being told Kenny is relying on advice from certain members of the organization who have very little (at best) background in evaluating talent in the first place.

If that's the case, and again I'm saying IF, that a serious damming issue towards Kenny. (And I've been told it's not Rick Hahn but others in the organization)

Lip

russ99
05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Russ:

I'll agree that Mark has been misused a lot by Ozzie, he's not a starter...never was, never will be. He's a valuable guy to have off the bench at best twice a week but that's another issue.

It is clear that when he has played he's been brutal defensively and very inconsistent hitting-wise. He's not the same player as when he was with K.C.

Why Kenny gave him an extension I don't know but I understand from a source (and I hope to hear more on this in the next few weeks if so I'll pass it along...) that part of the issue here may not be just Kenny.

I'm being told Kenny is relying on advice from certain members of the organization who have very little (at best) background in evaluating talent in the first place.

If that's the case, and again I'm saying IF, that a serious damming issue towards Kenny. (And I've been told it's not Rick Hahn but others in the organization)

Lip

Whoops - posted after you did. Teahen fits Kenny's "reclamation project" M.O.

IMO the extension solely had to do with Teahen being arbitration eligible the offseason the Sox acquired him. Kenny made a gamble by signing him that he'd perform so his value would exceed his salary by year 3, as he's done with other players. So far he's lost that gamble.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Hawk?

doublem23
05-19-2011, 03:16 PM

:rolling:

This is almost as insane as that guy who posted Mark Kotsay and Jim Thome's numbers last year side-by-side and asked if anyone could actually tell the two apart. (SPOILER ALERT - Everyone could)

Mark Teahen is ****ing garbage, dude, just deal with it.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2011, 03:23 PM
:rolling:

This is almost as insane as that guy who posted Mark Kotsay and Jim Thome's numbers last year side-by-side and asked if anyone could actually tell the two apart. (SPOILER ALERT - Everyone could)

Mark Teahen is ****ing garbage, dude, just deal with it.

Agreed. Mark Teahen had one career year and several years of abject mediocrity, upon which the Sox are wasting $5M/year.

NLaloosh
05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Agreed. Mark Teahen had one career year and several years of abject mediocrity, upon which the Sox are wasting $5M/year.

Teahen is worth $ 5 mil. way before Dunn is worth $ 14 mil.

doublem23
05-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Teahen is worth $ 5 mil. way before Dunn is worth $ 14 mil.

No and no.

fisk4ever
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Hawk?
:tiphat:

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2011, 10:46 PM
:tiphat:

Tipping your cap? How appropriate. :)