PDA

View Full Version : What would you trade Frank Thomas for?

ma-gaga
07-08-2002, 02:55 PM
Apologies if this hasn't been beaten to death... :)

Cheryl
07-08-2002, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't trade him just yet. Yeah, he's had a flare up of Prima Donna syndrome this weekend, but that happens now and then. Maybe he'll see reason and Hriniak during the break.

Dadawg_77
07-08-2002, 03:23 PM
The Oakland A's pitching staff or I wouldn't trade him.

doublem23
07-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Granted, I voted for AAA and AA prospects only, but they would have to be some REALLY, REALLY GOOD prospects. Since that won't happen right now, if I was in charge, Frank wasn't going nowhere...

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Granted, I voted for AAA and AA prospects only, but they would have to be some REALLY, REALLY GOOD prospects. Since that won't happen right now, if I was in charge, Frank wasn't going nowhere...

Someone from this trio of Frank, Williams, and Manuel has to go. They can't co-exist, we know Kenny isn't leaving so it's Jerry or the big man.

CerberusWG
07-08-2002, 04:02 PM
I'd trade him for Joe Roa and some other guys.

Gotta love the 14-0 record with a sub 2 ERA with 111 IP.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 05:03 PM
The bosox are looking for a 1b, everyone thinks it's going to be Thome. With the Green Monster, I wonder if KW received a call from Boston inquiring about Frank's availability.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The bosox are looking for a 1b, everyone thinks it's going to be Thome. With the Green Monster, I wonder if KW received a call from Boston inquiring about Frank's availability.

Can Boston afford Franks' contract?

Bisco Stu
07-08-2002, 05:13 PM
KW will probably figure out a way to trade him for Todd Ritchie.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Can Boston afford Franks' contract?

If it's true about wanting Thome, according to espn salaries, he's making $8 mil. that's $2 mil difference from Frank.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
I'd trade him for Joe Roa and some other guys.

Gotta love the 14-0 record with a sub 2 ERA with 111 IP. what team/org?

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:39 PM
If it's true about wanting Thome, according to espn salaries, he's making $8 mil. that's $2 mil difference from Frank.

Keep in mind Thome is also a free agent. If the BoSox trade for Thomas the clause disappears and they owe him 10 per year. I don't see it happening.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 05:45 PM

Keep in mind Thome is also a free agent. If the BoSox trade for Thomas the clause disappears and they owe him 10 per year. I don't see it happening. he will talk to jm and iron this out, the press will still harbor on it and i hope he retires a sox player, yrs from now.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 05:46 PM

Keep in mind Thome is also a free agent. If the BoSox trade for Thomas the clause disappears and they owe him 10 per year. I don't see it happening.

Granted, but maybe they don't want a rent a player. Thome will ask for more then $10 mil at the end of the year and Frank becomes cheaper. That's if the bosox want a long term 1b or dh.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 05:50 PM
Granted, but maybe they don't want a rent a player. Thome will ask for more then $10 mil at the end of the year and Frank becomes cheaper. That's if the bosox want a long term 1b or dh.

True, but what Thomas are they going to get? I don't think they want to pay 10 million per for this Frank. However, if Hriniak does live in Boston, then he's set.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 05:59 PM

True, but what Thomas are they going to get? I don't think they want to pay 10 million per for this Frank. However, if Hriniak does live in Boston, then he's set.

I imagine that with the 2 moves the yankmees made (Mondesi/Weaver) the bosox fans are getting a little anxious waiting for the red sox to make a move.
If all the gm's are at the all star game, it could get interesting.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 06:04 PM
I imagine that with the 2 moves the yankmees made (Mondesi/Weaver) the bosox fans are getting a little anxious waiting for the red sox to make a move.
If all the gm's are at the all star game, it could get interesting.

Let's be honest here, would trading for this version of Frank Thomas be a "blockbuster" move for the Red Sox?

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 06:16 PM

Let's be honest here, would trading for this version of Frank Thomas be a "blockbuster" move for the Red Sox?

Frank right now is a lot better then Tony Clark, whom the bosox fans look at as we do Royce. I'm not saying it's a block buster trade but Boston will go after some player to show the fans and players that they mean to stay in the race and won't be intimidated by George's money.
Also, they'll only give up bench players or minor leaguers, as the yankmees did.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 06:25 PM
Also, they'll only give up bench players or minor leaguers, as the yankmees did.

Other than dealing salary what's the point of dealing him for crap?

I don't seem them trading him.

Paulwny
07-08-2002, 06:30 PM

Other than dealing salary what's the point of dealing him for crap?

I don't seem them trading him.

I never said he'd be traded, my post asked , because of the commotion with Frank I wonder if KW received a call inquiring about Frank's availability. I also don't think he'll be traded.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I never said he'd be traded, my post asked , because of the commotion with Frank I wonder if KW received a call inquiring about Frank's availability. I also don't think he'll be traded.

Whatever GM brings him in is taking a big risk.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 08:57 PM

Whatever GM brings him in is taking a big risk. as with lee, no-one going to trade for a 220-240 hitter.

MrX
07-08-2002, 09:16 PM
I don't want to trade him, but if we do I think it depends on how much of his salary we have to pick up. I don't think any team will take him and his whole contract right now, so I think the more of his salary we pick up the better package we should ask for in return. :D:

CerberusWG
07-08-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by LongDistanceFan
what team/org?

Philly.

He's with the Scranton Wilkes/Barre team

GG FUBAR name.

CerberusWG
07-08-2002, 09:59 PM

Would never happen. Boston's farm is dryer than a <insert your own metaphor here!>

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Would never happen. Boston's farm is dryer than a <insert your own metaphor here!>

A few points:

1. Williams doing the deals (see T. Ritchie)
2. I'm sure Reinsdorf would love to move that contract, does he want to move it bad enough to not take a great deal?

nut_stock
07-08-2002, 10:09 PM
I think a new poll should be, What do you expect from Frank next season?

DVG
07-09-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Apologies if this hasn't been beaten to death... :)

Actually, I have a unique trade proposal: Thomas to the Cubs for
Sammy Sosa. Now think about that. Frank goes North and dons the Cub pinstripes. What'll happen is this: every indecent act,
every crime against humanity he ever committed while with the
Sox will instantly be absolved. He will become a true Cubbie hero.
The sportswriters of Chicago, more specifically the screecher
and the whimperer, will immediately ready his plaque for Coop-
erstown.

Meanwhile, Sosa comes to the Sox, and suddenly, every small
thing he has done that is selfish or egomaniacal becomes blown
way out of proportion. He is painted as the worst human being
to grace Chicago since Al Capone. The screecher and the whimp-
erer start questioning whether someone with his attitude belongs
in that sacred baseball Valhalla. The Rum Bottle incident will come
to the fore as well, I'm sure. The Tribune front page sports head-
line would possibly read "SOX ACQUIRE WIFE-BEATER."

soxtalker
07-09-2002, 04:06 PM
I just voted in the "multiple prospects" category, though I didn't expect it to rank as high as it does.

Trading Frank is difficult. He's been a part of this team for a long time. He's been ripped by many on this board. While I echo the frustration, I suspect that this may mean that Frank is nearing the end of his career -- earlier than we thought. Hopefully, that isn't true.

From the team perspective, I think that we need to trade Frank and several of the veterans for prospects. Our farm system is in terrible shape, and I'm not looking forward to several years of non-competitive baseball on the south side. Freeing up $ is a secondary motivation for me; I suspect that JR will have to eat some of Frank's salary to move him. But I do want prospects -- I'd look at a mixture of A, AA, and AAA players at this point -- to help us in the future. (We can talk about how to improve the farm system in other ways in another thread.)

From Frank's perspective, maybe a change of scenary will help him regain his star status. It probably would help if he were on a team in which he hasn't been the focus for so many years; he never did like the team-leader role. And he only has a few years left to make a drive toward the hall of fame. I know that a lot of us remember the talk of him being the best hitter of a generation. Unfortunately, the last 3 or 4 years will have tarnished that.

Pulling off a trade will probably be the more difficult issue. He's not terribly attractive now with his low batting average. This may be a trade for the off season -- depending on what happens on the labor front.

bc2k
07-10-2002, 02:41 AM
Frank Thomas is addition by subtraction due to his hefty contract. I would consider it a success if we traded Thomas for nothing in return. I don't see Thomas being traded anywhere b/c no teams would want his contract with his current skills.

Thomas has said in the papers that he would welcome a trade if the Sox didn't want him here. Of course he would like that; his contract would be guaranteed with no deferred.

As a Sox fan, the only scenario that would benefit the organization is if Thomas retired at the end of this year. Nobody wants to trade for him, if they do, the Sox will end up paying half of his contract while on a different team.

The only way the Sox can win is if Thomas becomes a good hitter again, if Thomas retires, or if Thomas chooses to become a free agent after his diminished skills clause is invoked. This situation doesn't look good.