PDA

View Full Version : Time To Patrol The Parking Lots

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 10:06 AM
I went to the game last night and tailgated with friends.

It's hard to enjoy the pre-game festivities in our $23 parking space when we were continuously approached by vagrants. We counted twelve times, six before the game, and six more when we were waiting to leave.

This has been more common at the games in the last few years, but this year has been horrendous. I sympathize with people in need and did give a couple bucks to one of them, but like seagulls, you feed one and the rest come running. Some even copped an attitude, even when one of our group is a cop.

One of my other friends is a prosecutor and even recognized one of the beggars.

I am a city kid but I never experieced this before even in the Comiskey Park days.

If you are going to stiff us with ridiculous parking charges at least have someone drive around in the golf cart to chase them out. Aren't they tresspassing anyway?

What do you gals/guys think? I'm sure some of you have been experiencing this.

05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Are they just trying to collect cans/bottles for CRV returns?

hi im skot
05-18-2011, 10:18 AM
"Vagrants"?

What year am I in?

34 Inch Stick
05-18-2011, 10:22 AM
I park on State and 37th and no one ever says a word to me during my half mile walk. My annoyance is that the new subdivision at 35th and State that is 10% occupied gets more zoned parking than they would need if they were 100% full, but such is life

Cat Thief
05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I walk west on 35th and have to get by at least 4 every time. It's getting old.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Try walking in the Loop any day of the workweek. 2-4 per block, especially in rush hour times. I ranted about it this morning.

Jerko
05-18-2011, 10:58 AM

It's hard to enjoy the pre-game festivities in our $23 parking space when we were continuously approached by vagrants. We counted twelve times, six before the game, and six more when we were waiting to leave.

This has been more common at the games in the last few years, but this year has been horrendous. I sympathize with people in need and did give a couple bucks to one of them, but like seagulls, you feed one and the rest come running. Some even copped an attitude, even when one of our group is a cop.

I am a city kid but I never experieced this before even in the Comiskey Park days.

If you are going to stiff us with ridiculous parking charges at least have someone drive around in the golf cart to chase them out. Aren't they tresspassing anyway?

I agree 100%. It's bad enough under that viaduct on 35th street, let alone in the parking lots. Luckily I either walk, get dropped off, or ride with friends who park on the street when I go to games. We've plotted out vagrant free courses for all possible routes.

Marqhead
05-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Try walking in the Loop any day of the workweek. 2-4 per block, especially in rush hour times. I ranted about it this morning.

Try living in Milwaukee for 4 years.

It's a problem everywhere in the city, but it would be nice if parking lot security could try and keep these guys away from those who are tailgating.

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
"Vagrants"?

What year am I in?

What did you want to call them, bums or socially maladjusted?

PatK
05-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I haven't had this problem.

However, I am a beggar's worst nightmare after a couple of incidents years ago.

I think I give off a vibe that repels them.

Marqhead
05-18-2011, 11:28 AM

I prefer "financially impaired".

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 11:29 AM

Oh, please. How about scam artists.

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 11:31 AM
Are they just trying to collect cans/bottles for CRV returns?

No they are trying to collect $$$$.

MARTINMVP
05-18-2011, 11:33 AM

It's a problem everywhere in the city, but it would be nice if parking lot security could try and keep these guys away from those who are tailgating.

I don't doubt what you said, but I was in Milwaukee this weekend and didn't encounter one homeless person. While walking along 6th St., I even remember telling my friend how nice it was not to be encountering any homeless. Walked along Water St., Mich St., State, went to Miller Park -- not one homeless person.

Tailgating this weekend at our park. Hoping we won't have any problems with people begging for money. It's certainly gotten worse in downtown Chicago in recent years, I think.

hi im skot
05-18-2011, 11:36 AM

:rolling:

Marqhead
05-18-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't doubt what you said, but I was in Milwaukee this weekend and didn't encounter one homeless person. While walking along 6th St., I even remember telling my friend how nice it was not to be encountering any homeless. Walked along Water St., Mich St., State, went to Miller Park -- not one homeless person.

Tailgating this weekend at our park. Hoping we won't have any problems with people begging for money. It's certainly gotten worse in downtown Chicago in recent years, I think.

Actually, compared to downtown Chicago Milwaukee is pretty solid. But if you venture out a few blocks from the main downtown area (I went to Marquette and lived on the west side of the city) it is awful. Much worse than I've encountered in this city.

Miller Park is isolated enough from the city that it really isn't an issue down there at all. They have a great tailgating atmosphere.

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM

On the lighter side of things, I began using a different technique to repel them several years ago when I get approached walking down the street:

Just as one of the beggars is set to approach me, I ask THEM if they have any spare change. That usually sends them away confused...

But to be approached in a paid parking lot? Will they be in the Loop parking towers next?

kittle42
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
On the lighter side of things, I began using a different technique to repel them several years ago when I get approached walking down the street:

Just as one of the beggars is set to approach me, I ask THEM if they have any spare change. That usually sends them away confused...

But to be approached in a paid parking lot? Will they be in the Loop parking towers next?

I am reminded of South Park...

Lip Man 1
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKok1rDq64JwkrPgvqEqddug6nLbSrI vd_Hz9dD0un-ZKgBm5WTQ

Lip

TomParrish79
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
When I came up last year to watch a 3 game set, I had one walk up wanting money. I offered him a sandwich and he got mad and walked off cursing.

There weren't many homeless scum beggers in the parking lot for the weekend though, just a few here and there. That was last year though.

JermaineDye05
05-18-2011, 11:57 AM
http://image.com.com/tv/images/content_headers/episode_new/1000659.jpg

C-Dawg
05-18-2011, 11:58 AM

I call them bums.

BTW I was in Detroit over the weekend and as usual got asked for money or cans multiple times. One guy wanted me to give him a ride to a place that was several miles away! However at least in Michigan, most of them are happy to take cans because there is a 10-cent deposit on them. I'm delighted to get rid of them because otherwise I'm just dumping them in the recycling when I get home.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
http://image.com.com/tv/images/content_headers/episode_new/1000659.jpg

That was a brilliant episode, especially if you are a fan of the Romero zombie movies.

miker
05-18-2011, 12:13 PM

Doesn't Ho-Chunk patrol some stretches of downtown Milwaukee? I "met" them trying to do some industrial photography early one Saturday morning a couple years ago.

DumpJerry
05-18-2011, 12:16 PM
I was walking through the Lots after Monday night's game and got approached by Greg Walker. I offered him five bucks, but he said he was looking for hits and runs.

JC456
05-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Simply ignore them if you don't want them there. As long as you give them money, they will return.

jdm2662
05-18-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwP2vV6Wm1Y

MUsoxfan
05-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I never give anyone money and I make it VERY clear that it's not gonna happen.

I wish the Sox would eliminate this problem because they certainly have the capability to shoo them

SI1020
05-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Simply ignore them if you don't want them there. As long as you give them money, they will return. It is not always possible. Some are very aggressive. Other than that there is nothing I can add except to say that I am aware of municipalities that have managed to greatly lessen this problem and others that do nothing.

ShooterMcGavin
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM

These vagrants can become violent very quickly. For the $23 it costs to park, I'd imagine the Sox could employ enough security to keep its fans safe.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
These vagrants can become violent very quickly. For the $23 it costs to park, I'd imagine the Sox could employ enough security to keep its fans safe.

Has a fan ever been accosted by a guy begging for change? I don't recall it ever happening.

I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't try to shoo out people who are there trying to score some sweet quarters and nickels, I just think you've crossed the line from reality to hyperbole.

DumpJerry
05-18-2011, 01:05 PM
We're baseball fans, we live for stats. Show us the numbers.

g0g0
05-18-2011, 01:07 PM
I've never had a problem at WS games, but agree that they should have someone out there.

Maybe take McDonald's applications along with you and hand those out?

JB98
05-18-2011, 01:12 PM
It does seem like there are more vagrants around this year. But they aren't violent. Geez.

Brian26
05-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Has a fan ever been accosted by a guy begging for change? I don't recall it ever happening.

I don't recall that happening either, but there certainly have been cases recently of violent acts between bums begging for money/smokes and common folk. One happened a couple of months ago on South Michigan Avenue (the bum got the short end of the deal and a tree branch stuck up his behind). The other incident that sticks out was about two years ago at the Jewel at Roosevelt and State, where some South Side Mission scum bags put a guy and gal in the hospital - one of which I believe was in a coma for many months.

The potential of confrontation is there and probably exasperated a bit with the alcohol being consumed in the Lots. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the Sox to try to keep an eye on this if it's as common as people are saying.

Jerko
05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
If they can shoo fans who crack open a beer 4 minutes after the game starts into the park, they can shoo these guys out of the lot IMO.

Chez
05-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Geez, tough crowd here today! These "vagrants" are people who, for whatever reason, are down on their luck and less fortunate than most of us. I tailgate all the time in Lot C -- it's not a big problem. I've never felt the least bit threatened. Many want cans, others want cash or want you to buy a copy of Streetwise. I usually give a few bucks to the first couple of guys who approach me (its far less than the cost of one beer inside!) and "donate" whatever extra hot dogs we've got on the grill. Nothing wrong with helping people -- especially if you believe in karma.

MUsoxfan
05-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Geez, tough crowd here today! These "vagrants" are people who, for whatever reason, are down on their luck and less fortunate than most of us. I tailgate all the time in Lot C -- it's not a big problem. I've never felt the least bit threatened. Many want cans, others want cash or want you to buy a copy of Streetwise. I usually give a few bucks to the first couple of guys who approach me (its far less than the cost of one beer inside!) and "donate" whatever extra hot dogs we've got on the grill. Nothing wrong with helping people -- especially if you believe in karma.

Like many people here, I'm not interested in paying a decent chunk of change to park and then have vagrants try to shake me down. I believe in helping people as much as the next guy, but I pick my own avenues in which to do it.

Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these people have more money than I do. It's too hard to separate the ones truly in need from the scam artists and I shouldn't be put in the position to have to in a private lot

Jerko
05-18-2011, 01:47 PM
People that have asked me for help over the years:

1) a kid in a wheelchair before the game who I saw running 30 mph pushing said wheelchair after the game

2) guy said he needed food and had a steaming mcdonalds bag on the ledge behind him

3) girl who pushed a baby in a stroller in front of me and asked me for money when I stopped to avoid smashing her kid.

4) guy on train begging for quarters when he could have saved the 2.25 it cost him to get on the train (if he actually paid)

5) young guy and girl on corner of madison and state who had a cat, and the girl had a different hairdo and manicure every day

I don't want one of those down on their luck people getting mad that somebody snubbed them and taking it out on my parked car either. Stay out of the lots.

fox23
05-18-2011, 01:54 PM

1) a kid in a wheelchair before the game who I saw running 30 mph pushing said wheelchair after the game

2) guy said he needed food and had a steaming mcdonalds bag on the ledge behind him

3) girl who pushed a baby in a stroller in front of me and asked me for money when I stopped to avoid smashing her kid.

4) guy on train begging for quarters when he could have saved the 2.25 it cost him to get on the train (if he actually paid)

5) young guy and girl on corner of madison and state who had a cat, and the girl had a different hairdo and manicure every day

I don't want one of those down on their luck people getting mad that somebody snubbed them and taking it out on my parked car either. Stay out of the lots.

It amazes me how stupid some of these people are. Last time I took the green line home from a weekday Sox game, a guy came up asking me if he could borrow my phone to make a call. I told him no and he then proceeded to pull out his phone and say he just needed to call the number on his screen. I asked him why doesn't he just use his own phone then and he just swore at me and kept going on and on about how he has a gun blah blah blah... To this day I still don't know what sort of scam he was trying to run, outside of simply trying to steal my phone!

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM

You left out a couple:

How about the guy who needed money to support his two little girls that he had pictures of, and as he walked away he dropped the pictures that had 'Sears Back-to-School Wear' printed on the back?

Or the dude who wears an 'official' ID Card and is collecting for those families left homeless from the fire last week on the upper floors of Cabrini Green?

DumpJerry
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I don't recall that happening either, but there certainly have been cases recently of violent acts between bums begging for money/smokes and common folk. One happened a couple of months ago on South Michigan Avenue (the bum got the short end of the deal and a tree branch stuck up his behind). The other incident that sticks out was about two years ago at the Jewel at Roosevelt and State, where some South Side Mission scum bags put a guy and gal in the hospital - one of which I believe was in a coma for many months.
That was a case of poor journalism. The victim in that attack was not a homeless person, but rather a business person who lived in the suburbs who got attacked in a wilding incident and beaten pretty badly. Later versions of the story changed the characterization of the victim once the reporter actually did his job.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered the World's Dumbest Panhandler. I was waiting for a train at the Clinton stop. A guy comes up to me (after being rejected by a couple of other people) and tells me needs to get a dollar to get to someplace whose name he mumbled. The problems with his approach was twofold:
1. He was already on the train platform, so why did he need money?
2. He was hold a thick wad of bills with a ten-spot on the top. He had enough money to take twenty people for round trips on the Metra.

fox23
05-18-2011, 02:08 PM
That was a case of poor journalism. The victim in that attack was not a homeless person, but rather a business person who lived in the suburbs who got attacked in a wilding incident and beaten pretty badly. Later versions of the story changed the characterization of the victim once the reporter actually did his job.

A couple of weeks ago I encountered the World's Dumbest Panhandler. I was waiting for a train at the Clinton stop. A guy comes up to me (after being rejected by a couple of other people) and tells me needs to get a dollar to get to someplace whose name he mumbled. The problems with his approach was twofold:
1. He was already on the train platform, so why did he need money?
2. He was hold a thick wad of bills with a ten-spot on the top. He had enough money to take twenty people for round trips on the Metra.

Go anywhere near a downtown Metra stop and it is amazing how many people just need "$5 to get a ticket so they can visit their child/aunt/grandmother/etc" and forgot their wallet at home.

amsteel
05-18-2011, 02:15 PM

As a fellow Marquette-er I can attest to not only the volume of homeless folk to the West of downtown Milwaukee, but also the surly-ness and general mental instability of them.

I haven't had any problems tailgating this year. It's tough to completely ignore a human being, but In my experience a "Sorry, man" and the cold shoulder afterwards sends a clear message.

Noneck
05-18-2011, 02:24 PM
On a public street it is part of life these days. In a private area where some pays good money to be there its different. Go pay to see a movie and see how long panhandling will last in there. Its the Sox responsibility to take care of this matter, lets see if they pay for security to stop the harassment.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Move to the city (or back to the city, as it may be). Then let me know your opinion again. No offense, really - just saying, if you encounter beggars once in a while at a game, no big deal - when it's in the double digits every day, it unfortunately becomes more a worry/annoyance than a worry/help problem.

Chez
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Move to the city (or back to the city, as it may be). Then let me know your opinion again. No offense, really - just saying, if you encounter beggars once in a while at a game, no big deal - when it's in the double digits every day, it unfortunately becomes more a worry/annoyance than a worry/help problem.

I lived in the city for many years and I've worked in the loop for 28 years so I encounter "beggars" multiple times a day. Honestly, it's just not that big a deal to me if people ask me for change. I understand many are bothered by this, but I've never had a problem with anyone whom I've said "sorry, no" to. If I'm willing to shell out out $60 for a ticket and parking, I guess another buck or two to someone who looks like they could use the help doesn't strike me as unreasonable. But, as I said, I understand the opposite view; I just don't share it.

Harry Potter
05-18-2011, 02:49 PM
I was walking through the Lots after Monday night's game and got approached by Greg Walker. I offered him five bucks, but he said he was looking for hits and runs.

Post of the Day :tiphat:

DumpJerry
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
I lived in the city for many years and I've worked in the loop for 28 years so I encounter "beggars" multiple times a day. Honestly, it's just not that big a deal to me if people ask me for change. I understand many are bothered by this, but I've never had a problem with anyone whom I've said "sorry, no" to. If I'm willing to shell out out $60 for a ticket and parking, I guess another buck or two to someone who looks like they could use the help doesn't strike me as unreasonable. But, as I said, I understand the opposite view; I just don't share it.
Couldn't say it better.

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Honestly I think some of this has to fall on the White Sox. As with any intruder, if you allow it, they will infest themselves.

True, there is not much you can do with the street walking vagrants, but having them go where people are paying to put their cars is unacceptable.

Additionally, once it gets warmer, more people attending games means more of these vagrants.

I would be glad to bring the issue to the team's attention, I just wonder who you should contact..

When it is one here and there, right, not a big deal theoretically, but this year it seems like we were getting chased by the zombies from 'Night of the Living Dead'.

05-18-2011, 03:03 PM

Try living in California! I worked in the financial district of SF for a couple years and never experiences anything like it before.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 03:04 PM
As with any intruder, if you allow it, they will infest themselves.

They're going to start procreating right there in the lots?

Juice16
05-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I parked in the north lot at the UC for a few Bulls games and I walked past several each game. The don't go into the parking lot but cover Madison ave. when you try to enter.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 03:11 PM

The potential of confrontation is there and probably exasperated a bit with the alcohol being consumed in the Lots. It wouldn't be a bad idea for the Sox to try to keep an eye on this if it's as common as people are saying.

I agree that the Sox should try and keep people out of the lots who haven't paid to be there, but, IIRC, those two instances you bring up happened at night in relative solitude, the Grant Park incident happened in a dark part of the park, I don't think they found the guy until the morning.

In the Sox lots, I feel pretty safe, there's just way too many people around. It's just annoying.

TheOldRoman
05-18-2011, 03:16 PM
I lived in the city for many years and I've worked in the loop for 28 years so I encounter "beggars" multiple times a day. Honestly, it's just not that big a deal to me if people ask me for change. I understand many are bothered by this, but I've never had a problem with anyone whom I've said "sorry, no" to. If I'm willing to shell out out $60 for a ticket and parking, I guess another buck or two to someone who looks like they could use the help doesn't strike me as unreasonable. But, as I said, I understand the opposite view; I just don't share it.There is a difference between encountering hobos on the street and in a parking lot you paid to be in. On the street, anyone is free to be there for the most part. When you see them, you either give them money or you don't. However, one shouldn't have to deal with that when in the Sox' parking lots.

This shouldn't even need to be said, but I donate to charity. I give to homeless people from time to time, usually buying food and passing it out to them (and often times they are upset that I gave them a McDouble instead of a dollar). So don't try to portray anyone as a bad human being becuase they don't want to be pestered at any given time. It doesn't mean they want all homeless shipped to Siberia. It just means they don't want to be bothered at that time.

Noneck
05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
The solution is to tell security there are people in the lots selling Sox hats, candy bars and peanuts, then youll see a security patrol.

Harry Chappas
05-18-2011, 03:59 PM
I used to work for NBC Sports during the Jordan years. I remember taking trays of left-over deli meats, cheeses, fruits, etc., that the media didn't consume out to the gate at both the Chicago Stadium and the UC where literally dozens if not a hundreds of "vagrants" congregated to shake us down. They all asked for money to "feed their family" but when offered several hundred dollars worth of free food that could feed a small army, not a single one took anything and many of them became quite agitated.

I know this isn't news to you all, but the majority of these panhandlers are addicts. You're doing more harm than good by giving them anything other than maybe food or clothing.

But back to the main point, I haven't really noticed an increase in the park lots, but for $23, the Sox should damn well sweep them out of there as it detracts from the overall fan experience.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Don't even get me started! I go to Columbia College and it's terrible. On breaks I eat, so I often go to the Chipotle on Jackson/State by De Paul. I guy followed me in and asked for $! I gave him my lose change (about $.60) and he said no I want your dollar. I said no a few times and the workers were about to call the cops. It was unreal! He chased me...In terms of the parking lots I never see them in the lots when I walk by (way early before the game). However, I see them setting up on 35th by Lot G in the tunnel. More security should be around if the situation is really this bad. My dad tells me Roosevelt and the Loop is bad because they come from all over just do beg and even rob you. It's sad. My brother said we should move there (14th/Mich) but my dad says no. We are still in Bridgeport.

CLUBHOUSE KID
05-18-2011, 04:15 PM
The solution is to tell security there are people in the lots selling Sox hats, candy bars and peanuts, then youll see a security patrol.

Yes, I hear those people asking you to buy M&M's are out in lot E or F. One of my friends who works in the Sox clubhouse (he doesn't batboy anymore) lives on 36th but he still drives to the games because they get out around 12-12:30 at night. I told my dad I need a car working the clubhouse thank God we have two lol

kittle42
05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
My dad tells me Roosevelt and the Loop is bad because they come from all over just do beg and even rob you. It's sad. My brother said we should move there (14th/Mich) but my dad says no. We are still in Bridgeport.

Well, this part is an overexaggeration. :D:

RTI_SoxFan
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
I used to work for NBC Sports during the Jordan years. I remember taking trays of left-over deli meats, cheeses, fruits, etc., that the media didn't consume out to the gate at both the Chicago Stadium and the UC where literally dozens if not a hundreds of "vagrants" congregated to shake us down. They all asked for money to "feed their family" but when offered several hundred dollars worth of free food that could feed a small army, not a single one took anything and many of them became quite agitated.

I know this isn't news to you all, but the majority of these panhandlers are addicts. You're doing more harm than good by giving them anything other than maybe food or clothing.

I couldn't agree with this more. I've seen folks I've given a buck or two to use that money to buy liquor. Sorry, I don't want to support your drinking problem. If my wife and I are going to a coffee shop or some fast food joint or some place quick to grab a bite, we'll sometimes offer to get the guy/girl a sandwich. They have actually turned us down at times but most are very appreciative.

ShooterMcGavin
05-18-2011, 04:43 PM

I'm not saying that the Sox shouldn't try to shoo out people who are there trying to score some sweet quarters and nickels, I just think you've crossed the line from reality to hyperbole.

Well yes, that's what the OP stated occurred in the parking lot of Comiskey Park. White Sox fans were accosted by a vagrant begging for money.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Well yes, that's what the OP stated occurred in the parking lot of Comiskey Park. White Sox fans were accosted by a vagrant begging for money.

There's a woooooooooooooooooooooooooorld difference between being asked for money and being physically assaulted. I agree the Sox should take steps to keep the panhandlers out of the lots, but it's a stretch to make it sound like you're taking your life in your hands by tailgating.

hi im skot
05-18-2011, 04:52 PM
There's a woooooooooooooooooooooooooorld difference between being asked for money and being physically assaulted. I agree the Sox should take steps to keep the panhandlers out of the lots, but it's a stretch to make it sound like you're taking your life in your hands by tailgating.

Welcome to the DANGEROUS SOUTHSIDE, where you decide if grilling a hot dog is worth YOUR LIFE.

comet2k
05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Honestly I think some of this has to fall on the White Sox. As with any intruder, if you allow it, they will infest themselves.

True, there is not much you can do with the street walking vagrants, but having them go where people are paying to put their cars is unacceptable.

Additionally, once it gets warmer, more people attending games means more of these vagrants.

I would be glad to bring the issue to the team's attention, I just wonder who you should contact..

When it is one here and there, right, not a big deal theoretically, but this year it seems like we were getting chased by the zombies from 'Night of the Living Dead'.

You could start with Guest Relations, 312-674-5225. If the panhandlers are so prevalent and many are being bothered by them, why hasn't someone pointed them out to security?

ShooterMcGavin
05-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I will echo my previous post stating this is a safety issue and the Sox should protect its fans from trespassing vagrants who may or may not cause harm to fans.

Woofer
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the DANGEROUS SOUTHSIDE, where you decide if grilling a hot dog is worth YOUR LIFE.

Why do I get the feeling that some biased newspaper writer is reading this thread and coming up with a doozy of an article to hit us Sox fans with? :cool:

Seriously though, it does make you nervous when somebody asks you for money. You don't really know what to expect when someone walks up to you, especially if you are caught off guard. I have no problem giving the street musicians or bucketboys a buck or two after a game. If somebody has the ability to walk on two good legs in the middle of a parking lot somewhere and ask me for money, I feel that you have the ability to find honest work somewhere. Giving them money only keeps them coming back. Although I usually do try to help them out. It depends on the individual zombie, err, vagrant.

Jollyroger2
05-18-2011, 06:16 PM

I couldn't agree with this more. I've seen folks I've given a buck or two to use that money to buy liquor. Sorry, I don't want to support your drinking problem. If my wife and I are going to a coffee shop or some fast food joint or some place quick to grab a bite, we'll sometimes offer to get the guy/girl a sandwich. They have actually turned us down at times but most are very appreciative.

This is an excellent post. Here in DC I've encountered this alot around the Verizon Center before hockey games. I was in a Five Guys and a panhandler literally came up to my wife and I and sat down at our table asking for a handout. I ended up mentioning it to the employees and they just said it happens all the time. The guy went to everyone in the place, about fifteen people, and about half gave him change or dollars. Later on, while walking to the Verizon Center, we saw the same guy a block away talking on a cell phone with an earpiece.

I support many charitable foundations but I can't bring myself to give handouts to panhandlers. A few years ago they ran a piece on the news on panhandlers in the DC area. They watched some with cameras all day and it was amazing the amount of money they took in. Then, a couple of them actually left the city and went to homes, either in the Va or Maryland suburbs.

Now I'm not saying every panhandler is like that, but the vast majority of them, like someone else said, are addicts in one way or another. A woman I know is involved with local charities and has related stories like the above, where food was offered but refused. It's the money they're after.

I think if you've paid for parking on White Sox property, you have at least earned the right to not be bothered.

GoGoCrede
05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Go anywhere near a downtown Metra stop and it is amazing how many people just need "$5 to get a ticket so they can visit their child/aunt/grandmother/etc" and forgot their wallet at home.

I fell for this one a few years back. Luckily it only cost me fifty cents.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM

If you put ketchup on that dog, IMA ****ING KILL YOU

doublem23
05-18-2011, 07:20 PM
I will echo my previous post stating this is a safety issue and the Sox should protect its fans from trespassing vagrants who may or may not cause harm to fans.

And I will echo my previous posts that, considering how many fights I see break out in the Upper Deck during games, you're probably statistically safer tailgating in the lots.

GoGoCrede
05-18-2011, 07:24 PM
If you put ketchup on that dog, IMA ****ING KILL YOU

I'm dead and buried, in that case.

ShooterMcGavin
05-18-2011, 08:00 PM
And I will echo my previous posts that, considering how many fights I see break out in the Upper Deck during games, you're probably statistically safer tailgating in the lots.

I would agree one is probably statistically safer tailgating in the lots as opposed to inside the park, but that does not mean the Sox should not protect its fans from trespassing vagrants who may or may not cause harm to fans.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 10:03 PM
I would agree one is probably statistically safer tailgating in the lots as opposed to inside the park, but that does not mean the Sox should not protect its fans from trespassing vagrants who may or may not cause harm to fans.

Aside from your ludicrous vendetta against homeless people, I don't think anyone is arguing with you, but hey, keep posting the same thing a million times on a fan website, that'll get results!!!

fox23
05-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Aside from your ludicrous vendetta against homeless people, I don't think anyone is arguing with you, but hey, keep posting the same thing a million times on a fan website, that'll get results!!!

Isn't that pretty much the M.O. for some people on this board?

Sunnydre
05-18-2011, 10:15 PM
"Vagrants"?

What year am I in?

lol

DSpivack
05-19-2011, 12:05 AM
This is an excellent post. Here in DC I've encountered this alot around the Verizon Center before hockey games. I was in a Five Guys and a panhandler literally came up to my wife and I and sat down at our table asking for a handout. I ended up mentioning it to the employees and they just said it happens all the time. The guy went to everyone in the place, about fifteen people, and about half gave him change or dollars. Later on, while walking to the Verizon Center, we saw the same guy a block away talking on a cell phone with an earpiece.

I support many charitable foundations but I can't bring myself to give handouts to panhandlers. A few years ago they ran a piece on the news on panhandlers in the DC area. They watched some with cameras all day and it was amazing the amount of money they took in. Then, a couple of them actually left the city and went to homes, either in the Va or Maryland suburbs.

Now I'm not saying every panhandler is like that, but the vast majority of them, like someone else said, are addicts in one way or another. A woman I know is involved with local charities and has related stories like the above, where food was offered but refused. It's the money they're after.

I think if you've paid for parking on White Sox property, you have at least earned the right to not be bothered.

Well, Chinatown is a very busy area, especially when the Caps/Wizards/G'Town'/whatever are playing. Panhandlers will go where the people are congregating, because there are bound to be some people in the crowd that will give them money.

stacksedwards
05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
I guess I really never paid too much attention to it. But I guess you usually do get hit up for change or get approached with a Streetwise in the lots.
Several years ago after a game me and a buddy got approached in the car leaving the game. My mother had sent squash with me to give to my friend's mother. When the begger asked for food or money my buddy handed him a squash. I dont think I've ever seen a more confused look on a person's face before.

TKF
05-19-2011, 09:06 AM
The bums are bad, especially the one's wearing Cub shirts shouting woo-woo

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Um, yeah...

Welcome aboard, I guess? :scratch:

kittle42
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Isn't that pretty much the M.O. for some people on this board?

No results - no one's grammar has visibly improved!

kittle42
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM

I refer you to my post above.

fox23
05-19-2011, 02:32 PM
No results - no one's grammar has visibly improved!

Strange, because since joining this board I now think that Derrick Rose isn't a very good point guard, Edwin Jackson kills kittens and puppies for fun, and everything is somehow related to Boston.

Harry Potter
05-19-2011, 02:35 PM
and everything is somehow related to Boston.

Today's Post of the Day :clap:

soltrain21
05-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Strange, because since joining this board I now think that Derrick Rose isn't a very good point guard, Edwin Jackson kills kittens and puppies for fun, and everything is somehow related to Boston.

http://www.jonathanhoodshow.com/wp-content/uploads/Manny-being-Manny.jpg

soxinem1
05-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Since I was a teenager I always had encounters with the vagrants, bums, homeless, etc. I do know the difference.

When I was about 21 I was on an all-night date, walking in Grant Park when we were approached by a guy who just wanted our Heineken bottles. He explained that he grew mistrustful of the government or was in a nasty divorce (I do not remember that part) and he was not a bum, but he walked everyday from Belmont Harbor to the Jackson Park Field House pulling bottles and cans, rain, shine, winter, summer, did not matter.

He said when he needed to sleep and shower he went to a shelter or cheap hotel, needed clothes he went to the Salvation Army store.

This guy also noted he had deals with restaurants, cookie shops, bars, etc. and made as much as $300 a day, which back in 1989 was a nice little haul.

He also said once he accumilated $500,000 he was moving to Mexico to retire.

This guy had legs like Kirby Puckett so I had no doubt he was telling the truth. He was very pleasant and after this chat he walked away with his huge push cart and continued doing the same thing.

This was one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed.

Additionally, I also remember offering vagrants fresh cashews, left over pop corn, and all sorts of stuff, just to see if they were hungry. Not once did any of them ever accept anything. Those I would guess were addicts, scamsters, or drunks..... Or all of these.

The entire point of my original post was to point out that these people should not be walking around begging in a paid, poorly-monitored parking lot.

And the reason I stated that these intruders will infest themselves is this. Just like rodents, seagulls, etc. if someone feeds them, others will follow. Don't think for a second these people do not do the same thing.

Sure, being streetwise is necessary anywhere, however it is ultimately up to the White Sox to do something about this.

thomas35forever
05-19-2011, 07:53 PM

But back to the main point, I haven't really noticed an increase in the park lots, but for $23, the Sox should damn well sweep them out of there as it detracts from the overall fan experience.
Years ago, when my parents were dating, they went to Giordano's (I think) in the city one night. When they left, they still had some pizza in a box left over. While they were walking, a young girl came up to them asking for money because her family was hungry or something like that. My dad, from River Forest, started to reach into his wallet, but my mom, who grew up in Pilsen, knew better. She grabbed the box of pizza out of my dad's hands and said "Here, have some pizza!" Right then and there, the girl developed an attitude and shouted "I don't eat no pizza!" and walked away. Totally relatable to your story.

As for the OP, yes, something should be done by the Sox if this problem doesn't cease.

Woofer
05-19-2011, 08:35 PM
I will continue to veer this topic off of the Sox parking lots in relating a story that happened to my family last month. We were eating at Culvers, when out of the blue this lady walks straight up to me, and starts telling me her sob story. Only she was really sobbing, asking us to please help her out because she had 4 small children who were hungry. She said that she had come to Joliet because of a man, and that it had been a mistake. While here, she had to have surgery, and had lost everything because the man stole it. She had just been released from the hospital, but could not stay in a shelter because she wasn't fully healed or had staples. I thought that she was making some of it up except that she mentioned by name the Priest where we go to church sometimes and that he was trying to help her. I felt terrible for her, and gave her $10 to help her get some food. My Mom gave her an additional $5. She went up to the counter to order food. After she walked away my brother said that she reeked of alcohol. So I really don't know if this was a made up story or not, but she was crying real tears, and I felt bad for her.

kittle42
05-20-2011, 10:05 AM
I will continue to veer this topic off of the Sox parking lots in relating a story that happened to my family last month. We were eating at Culvers, when out of the blue this lady walks straight up to me, and starts telling me her sob story. Only she was really sobbing, asking us to please help her out because she had 4 small children who were hungry. She said that she had come to Joliet because of a man, and that it had been a mistake. While here, she had to have surgery, and had lost everything because the man stole it. She had just been released from the hospital, but could not stay in a shelter because she wasn't fully healed or had staples. I thought that she was making some of it up except that she mentioned by name the Priest where we go to church sometimes and that he was trying to help her. I felt terrible for her, and gave her $10 to help her get some food. My Mom gave her an additional $5. She went up to the counter to order food. After she walked away my brother said that she reeked of alcohol. So I really don't know if this was a made up story or not, but she was crying real tears, and I felt bad for her.

I like Culver's.

Gavin
05-20-2011, 10:43 AM
All these reply about being Chicago tough because there are bums in the streets where we work downtown simply ignore the fact that it costs $23 ****ing dollars to park in the White Sox parking lots. These are access-controlled lots with a goddamn army of personnel filling them. There's really no excuse for turning a blind eye. Who is going to blame the White Sox for trying to provide a better environment for Sox fans to park and congregate?

kittle42
05-20-2011, 11:08 AM
All these reply about being Chicago tough because there are bums in the streets where we work downtown

I'm not sure that anyone in this thread said that at all.

300bowler
05-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I haven't had this problem.

However, I am a beggar's worst nightmare after a couple of incidents years ago.

I think I give off a vibe that repels them.

What do you do? Whatever it is I could use it when I go downtown.

#1swisher
05-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Pull your pants pockets inside out.

PatK
05-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Well in one instance, I saw the guy immediately walk into the nearby 7/11 and come out with a 40oz-er instead of getting food. He was a guy that you saw pretty much everyday in the neighborhood. Always had smokes, a cell phone, etc.

Anyways, I asked him if he used the money I gave him to buy the 40 and he said yes. I took it and smashed it and told him to never ask me for change again. They guy would always cross the street to avoid me after that.

Although I probably shouldn't have, one time I had a guy come up to me and say "Look, I'm not going to lie to you. I'm an alcoholic and need money for booze", and I gave him a couple of bucks for his honesty.

comet2k
05-20-2011, 03:05 PM
So after all this discussion about what some perceive as a significant problem, has anyone contacted Guest Relations or, if they're a season ticket holder, told their account rep?

Given the recent attendance, I'll bet they would want to do something about it.

Harry Chappas
05-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Probably as much results as bitching about Greg Walker but that doesn't stop us! :wink:

kittle42
05-20-2011, 03:22 PM
So after all this discussion about what some perceive as a significant problem, has anyone contacted Guest Relations or, if they're a season ticket holder, told their account rep?

Given the recent attendance, I'll bet they would want to do something about it.

Really good question...those of you who have been complaining, have you actually done ANYTHING at all?

IlliniSox05
05-23-2011, 03:04 PM

Along the same lines, I walk several times a week from my gym at Randolph/Wabash in the Loop to my office down Randolph. When the weather is bad (quite often lately), I use the pedway underground. Next to the Macy's on State Street, several bums hang out in the pedway and often ask rush hour commuters for money.

Then one morning I saw one of the bums sitting on the ground watching a movie on a personal DVD player. Give me a break. Not that I trusted these guys before, but that's when i REALLY stopped believing anything they said.

I always use the aforementioned "Sorry man" to panhandlers and instead choose to give money deducted from each paycheck directly to the United Way.

gosox2005
05-27-2011, 06:05 PM
The customer service and quality of the parking lots have diminished over the last few years. In fact, over the last three seasons it has been terrible. No communication between the people working there and several of the folks working have been just plain rude.

Don't get me started on the customer service IN the stadium.

soxfan2504
05-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Years ago, when my parents were dating, they went to Giordano's (I think) in the city one night. When they left, they still had some pizza in a box left over. While they were walking, a young girl came up to them asking for money because her family was hungry or something like that. My dad, from River Forest, started to reach into his wallet, but my mom, who grew up in Pilsen, knew better. She grabbed the box of pizza out of my dad's hands and said "Here, have some pizza!" Right then and there, the girl developed an attitude and shouted "I don't eat no pizza!" and walked away. Totally relatable to your story.

As for the OP, yes, something should be done by the Sox if this problem doesn't cease.

For reason I don't entirely know why, reading through this and other similar posts has suddenly reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine's old boss starts a business called "Top of the Muffin to You" selling the tasty tops of muffins alone, and giving the "stumps" to a homeless shelter in need of food.

Naturally, the bums are insulted by the offer, and the lady running the shelter shows up to "Top of the Muffin" to complain about the missing muffin tops. They're ungrateful at being offered the food they claim they need, when of course in reality many want something else.

Add in some of the really bizarre stuff I get from homeless because I use a wheelchair, which largely revolve their getting rude with me after I politely turn down offers for help (or at the very least, try to be polite about it) that they think I may need. Apparently they think that because I have a disability, they have an unabridged right to use me for an unwarranted self-esteem boost, even after I reassure them that I'm ok.

Like the joker I encountered outside the Bed Bath & Beyond near Clark and Diversey, about a day before the massive blizzard in early February, after I'd just bought a shovel in preparation. Toothless guy offers to carry the shovel for me, I politely turn him down. Out of aggressive desperation, this guy starts walking beside me, and says, "Oh, none of the rich people around here care about you, but I do, I can be your friend." Then he rudely tried blocking my path as I tried to ignore him & go home, so I had no choice but to cross the street immediately. Luckily I know how to hop curbs.

Wow. What a great friend.

All this sums up why, barring extenuating circumstances, I almost never give $$$$ to beggars, and is why the Sox should make more of an effort to keep bums out of the lots, aka their private property.