PDA

View Full Version : A couple big games

Moses_Scurry
05-18-2011, 09:43 AM
If the Sox can ride the somewhat high momentum they have going and take the next two against the tribe, it would go a long way toward bringing back my interest in this season. Plus, they're only 3 back from the Royals now. Movin' on up!!

Chez
05-18-2011, 09:57 AM
It's too bad the Indians had a couple of rain outs over the weekend. It allowed them to adjust their rotation so that the Sox face both Masterson and Carmona -- arguably the Tribe's best two starters. Win four more games this homestand and we'll all be feeling better.

beasly213
05-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I think a good goal for the Sox would be to be at .500 by the end of the month. They're 18-25 right now and have been 7-3 in their last 10 games. Just keep winning series' and they'll be able to reach that goal. From there you start June off with a series against Detroit at Home followed by Seattle and Oakland at home. After a 3 game series at Minnesota who are just awful right now the Sox get to play the NL who they have a history of beating up.

It's a big hill to climb but I'm feeling ever so slightly better about the Sox than I have been all year.

sox1970
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
I think a good goal for the Sox would be to be at .500 by the end of the month. They're 18-25 right now and have been 7-3 in their last 10 games. Just keep winning series' and they'll be able to reach that goal. From there you start June off with a series against Detroit at Home followed by Seattle and Oakland at home. After a 3 game series at Minnesota who are just awful right now the Sox get to play the NL who they have a history of beating up.

It's a big hill to climb but I'm feeling ever so slightly better about the Sox than I have been all year.

The Sox have 50 games until the break. They need to go 30-20, with two wins the next couple games. They would be 48-45 at the break, and probably within 5-7 games. That would put them in striking distance with 12 games left with Detroit, and 13 left with Cleveland after the break.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
The Sox have 50 games until the break. They need to go 30-20, with two wins the next couple games. They would be 48-45 at the break, and probably within 5-7 games. That would put them in striking distance with 12 games left with Detroit, and 13 left with Cleveland after the break.

I completely agree. But this team has shown me nothing that would support they are capable of playing .600 ball over any more than a 10-game stretch.

palehosepub
05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
These two games should be a good test, I keep saying that the Tribe cant be that good but now I am starting to wonder. they remind me a lot of the 2000 White Sox, lots of young hitters mashing the ball but probably not enough pitching to go anywhere if they do hold on to their lead.
We need to send a message and take these 2 games.

WhiteSox5187
05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I completely agree. But this team has shown me nothing that would support they are capable of playing .600 ball over any more than a 10-game stretch.

I agree with this, I have no faith in this team to turn it around right now. Yes they are winning, but they aren't playing all that well. The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is that we are pitching well right now, but we still make a ton of mistakes in the field, on the bases and have no idea how to hit. When that changes, then I might start thinking we've turned it around.

PeteWard
05-20-2011, 03:51 AM
I agree with this, I have no faith in this team to turn it around right now. Yes they are winning, but they aren't playing all that well. The only thing that gives me a bit of hope is that we are pitching well right now, but we still make a ton of mistakes in the field, on the bases and have no idea how to hit. When that changes, then I might start thinking we've turned it around.

I think the Sox will be in the thick of it at the break if they can play reasonably will during the 3 at Tex and 4 at Tor trip coming up. I will be happy if they take three of seven and then come home to feast on NL and AL Central. I still think way too many guys are hitting way below their potential and that this will even out. But it has to happen now. To prove that I am not a silly optimist, I also think Minn. may climb out of their hole as well. :mad:

Defense is a concern, I agree with you there and have no answers to why Pierre and Ramirez can't field.

Moses_Scurry
05-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Just when I think I'm out ... They pull me back in!!

I also think Minnesota will pull out of their hole.

Zakath
05-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Just when I think I'm out ... They pull me back in!!

I also think Minnesota will pull out of their hole.

Minnesota has won three straight heading into Arizona this weekend and has started to pull out of it.

What is worrisome is that of Minnesota's remaining 120 games, 66 are at home, including 18 in July and 17 in August.

kufram
05-20-2011, 07:54 AM
I hope the only goal the team has is to win the game they are playing today. That is the only way to play a season of baseball... one game at a time. You cannot win tomorrow's game and if you're thinking about it you probably can't win today's game.

I don't lose hope in May. I don't make plans for September. I follow the team day by day.