PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 5-17 "Get Brent!" Morel, "Walk"erballing SOX 4, TEX 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Danks couldn't throw strike one to save his life in the first few innings, but he settled down and kept the Sox in the game.

Thank goodness the Rangers pitchers started walking Sox hitters later in the game, so that Morel could deliver the big bomb.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Morel with some nice leather at the hot corner tonight, too.

thomas35forever
A home win. Awesome.:gulp:

JermaineDye05
The last three White Sox wins have been the result of bad defense by the opposition.

Just once I'd like them to win another game convincingly with their offense like the one in LA.

LongLiveFisk
05-17-2011, 10:48 PM
Let's tip our caps....

to Brent Morel! :D:

WhiteSox5187
Another ugly win. I'll take it. Big series coming up with Cleveland.

Frater Perdurabo
The last three White Sox wins have been the result of bad defense by the opposition.

Just once I'd like them to win one convincingly with their offense like the game in LA.

Winning Ugly?

With all those walks, I am surprised the game ended in less than 2:45.

all*star quentin
05-17-2011, 10:49 PM
Morel is the man! :gulp:

vinny
A nice, unexpected clutch hit by Dallas McPherson to advance Beckham and put the go-ahead run in scoring position. Enjoy your brief stay with us, sir!

BringHomeDaBacon

Just once I'd like them to win one convincingly with their offense like the game in LA.

Sure would be nice to feel like they are taking it to the opposition rather than picking up one of the 60-70 wins even the worst teams are going to collect.

tstrike2000
Thanks Brent, without you, this game would've really been a downer.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-17-2011, 10:50 PM

Just once I'd like them to win another game convincingly with their offense like the one in LA.

I absolutely do not care how they win, even if it is because space aliens abduct the other team leading to a forfeit, as long as they get a W.

Nelfox02
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
way this game looked after the first 3-4 innings----I would have confidently bet a hefty sum that the sox had no chance to win the game.

A W in the books, which is nice.....again some great pen work, Santos continues to shine......and that is great to see

but overall Danks was not sharp (credit him for lasting as long as he did tho and not surrendering the "big" inning), still saw a lot of crummy AB's, TCM another error......Beckham at the plate...ugh

screw it, enough bitching.....Sox win. still in position to take 5 or more on this homestand.....that is my goal for them here

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 10:51 PM
I absolutely do not care how they win, even if it is because space aliens abduct the other team leading to a forfeit, as long as they get a W.

The thing is it just doesn't do anything to build my confidence in this team's ability to turn it around. The offense has got to start producing if they even want a chance at finishing third.

MountainCur
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
save situations no longer equal me having to take 3 or 4 shots of george dickel

voodoochile
05-17-2011, 10:52 PM
So I'm only half watching the game and when Beckham struck out I chuckled sadly and thought, "maybe Morel will hit a three run bomb" and went back to paying half attention. Then I looked up and it was the inning break and the game was tied at 3.

Not the prettiest win in the history of Sox baseball but there's nothing ugly about winning ever. Got real lucky that the fat pitch Danks served up for the third out the inning before Morel did his unlikely thing got missed by like .5 CM and ended up landing harmlessly in Lillibridge's glove instead of bouncing off the back wall of the catwalk behind the bleachers, but that's part of baseball too...

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

tstrike2000
05-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Thank God we have a legit closer now. Imagine if the Sox were still screwing around with that situation.

ChiSoxGal85
05-17-2011, 10:55 PM
This was definitely Morel's day, both offensively and defensively. So the winning run scored on a wild pitch...whatever it takes, I guess. Danks was shaky but hung in there; Crain did a nice job holding it down. Santos is the MAN.

What the heck is with the black hole that is the #6, #7, #8 in the Sox lineup though? Sheesh.

Oh, yeah...welcome to the Sox, Dallas! First AB he singles up the middle, moving the eventual winning run to 3rd...:bandance:

thomas35forever
05-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Just to keep the winning going, this song should be a motivator for this team:
BrLnzJPESwg

Dan H
05-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Great game for Morel and he needed it. Offense still looks putrid but a win is a win. It will be an interesting pair of games against Cleveland.

MountainCur
05-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Not only was it Dallas' first AB - didn't he get hte hit on the first pitch? That is pretty cool

slavko
05-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Thank God we have a legit closer now. Imagine if the Sox were still screwing around with that situation.

Throws some nasty **** doesn't he? And can throw all of it for strikes on the edges. We'd have a different season going if he was the man from the start, like I suggested in a preseason thread (brag, brag).

NIce win, great to see.

Soxfest
Got a closer and a home win.:D:

manders_01
White Sox win. I am happy. That is all. :D:

Zakath
05-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Got real lucky that the fat pitch Danks served up for the third out the inning before Morel did his unlikely thing got missed by like .5 CM and ended up landing harmlessly in Lillibridge's glove instead of bouncing off the back wall of the catwalk behind the bleachers, but that's part of baseball too...

Good thing Beltre got under that one, because at 6-0, this game was definitely over.

Except for the post-dated 4 runs posted to him vs. Baltimore on 4/29, Crain hasn't given up a run since April 11, and has brought his ERA down to 2.66.

Santos brings his WHIP down to 0.85 and has only given up 8 hits in 20 innings of work.

JB98
05-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Bullpen is looking strong.

VMSNS
05-17-2011, 11:37 PM
The badness of our offense is quickly approaching epic proportions.

miker
05-17-2011, 11:47 PM
...but a win is a win.

My sentiments exactly. :gulp:

PeteWard
05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Now take two from Cleve and this season will look a whole lot better approaching June.

Tragg
05-18-2011, 12:24 AM
Nice win. Good pitching overall and the big bop.

kaufsox
05-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Bullpen is starting to look like the strength that many thought it would be and it was nice to see our guys flashing the leather, robbing some hits and looking like a major league team.

JermaineDye05
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Bullpen is starting to look like the strength that many thought it would be and it was nice to see our guys flashing the leather, robbing some hits and looking like a major league team.

Unfortunately our offense is still looking like something straight out of Charlotte.

Crooked Number
05-18-2011, 12:39 AM
Two wild-pitch-to-win-the-game games within a week? Can't recall that happening. Win. That's it.

There are two reasons to watch this team at this point. Konerko and Santos. Don't recall who posted it but someone has coined "The Serge Protector". Fantastic nickname & i'm using it. 20ip/0.00 for the kid. It's moot and hindsight, but its still fun to play the "if" game: What IF Santos was the closer breaking camp. Oh that is an evil game to play...

Sox have had a few quality wins against the West recently, now its time to face the Central division leading foe. Big opportunity for some major confidence boosting with these next two.

The Immigrant
05-18-2011, 12:40 AM
Adam Dunn is now 0-for-26 against left-handed pitching. Yuck.

guillensdisciple
05-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Okay so great win but

here's my deal with Greg Walker- they say I don't know anything a hitting coach but here is some sound logic to me:

There are two things a hitting coach can do. One: if his offensive players are already gifted, he can just lay back and let them progress thus allowing them to succeed the way they already have. Many people say this is the case, but the results are that these players are not offensively gifted which means that a hitting coaches job then becomes to ensure their improvement.

Which leads to job 2: the improvement of your hitters. THis is where you work and tinker with a hitters approach so as to improve their performance. In this case Walker, if he's doing it, is failing miserably as his hitters are under performing.

Essentially, Walker is failing no matter what from these results. If he has taken role 1 then the hitters suck and he needs to take role 2 and if he has not then it is his fault for not recognizing it and he has to be let go. If he has gone on to role 2 and that still has not worked then he needs to be fired for not fulfilling his duty to improve the hitters on this team.

NOW, if the players suck, which they shouldn't with this payroll, then the only viable option is the guy upstairs. Kenny Williams.

TDog
05-18-2011, 01:00 AM
The last three White Sox wins have been the result of bad defense by the opposition. ...

Four of the first five White Sox losses this season were the result of bad defense. The A's won last night because of bad defense, even though they lost Sunday because of a bad defensive play on a day when the A's made numerous spectacular defensive plays. The Rockies beat the Giants twice this week because of bad defensive plays. That's the nature of baseball. In those last three wins where the White Sox won because they were in a position to take advantage of that one bad defensive play, they made the defensive plays they needed to win.

You might as well say the White Sox won because the Rangers are so weak offensively. As badly as Danks pitched tonight, they only managed to score on a sacrifice fly, a double play and a two-out bases-loaded error, a bad defensive play that didn't help them win.

The fact is, considering how little Danks had in the early innings tonight, he pitched a great game. He was wild, and not effectively wild. He gutted it out and ended up being knocked out by a bunt single with no one on base.

Actually, the fact that the last three White Sox wins have come because of bad defensive plays (tonight, I presume, you were referring to the wild pitch, although the Sox might have scored without the wild pitch, just as they likely would have scored in the win where deciding run scored on a wild pitch during the intentional walk, the win previous to the three you cited), points to the changing dynamic of this team. When was the last time the White Sox bullpen gave up a lead? Thornton gave up a ninth-inning run with the score tied in the first game in Seattle, and the Sox haven't handed a lot of late leads to the bullpen since the first couple weeks of the season, but I think it's been about a month.

I'm not sure that the six-man rotation is a best way to handle the pitching staff. It's possible that Floyd's weak start on Saturday, Jackson's weak start on Monday and Danks' weak start tonight might have had something to do with the starters having too much rest. Humber and Buehrle seem to have responded well and Peavy has only the one start last week, so there isn't much evidence. But a six-man rotation demands the starters go deeper into the game because there are fewer early/middle innings in the bullpen. It would be hard, though, to move Humber to middle relief when he's been the most consistent starter.

In any case, Danks pulled it together, and in a game where he started out looking hopeless, he put together a quality start with the help of some outstanding defense a big hit from Morel, who, when I see him, never looks as bad at baseball as I keep reading he is.

October26
05-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Nice to see the Sox bounce back and get the win last night. The first few innings of last night's game were awful and then Brent Morel became the offensive and defensive highlight show. :bandance:

LITTLE NELL
05-18-2011, 07:24 AM
Winning ugly is much better than losing ugly.
Let win these 2 with the Tribe and start them on a long losing streak, they can't be that good.

Zakath
05-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Adam Dunn is now 0-for-26 against left-handed pitching. Yuck.

With 11 K's. He's either got to catch up to that high inside fastball or learn to lay off it.

He's also 4-44 with 18 K's at home. Someone needs to tell him to swing for the fences after it gets above 70 degrees.

SOXSINCE'70
05-18-2011, 08:26 AM
The badness of our offense is quickly approaching epic proportions.

I thought it passed "epic proportions" weeks ago.
It's getting bad when Hawk refers to double plays
the Sox hit into as "here we go again".:rolleyes:

asindc
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
I went to bed after the 6th inning with the feeling that I would wake up this morning and find that the Sox had won. I'm sure some of you are reading this and asking "why?" (some of you are not asking such, of course). Once the game was tied by Morel's HR and Danks showed that he would pitch into the 7th (after throwing 60+ pitches in 2 IP), I felt the Sox had the advantage with the better bullpen.

I've been doing my own personal W-L tracking of the Sox since the seven-game losing streak, based on how many games it takes them to win 6:

1st 6: 9 games.
2nd 6: 25 games.
3rd 6: 9 games.

I picked 6 games because if things are going very well, the Sox should take no more than 10 games to win 6. If they do that from this point forward, they will win 89 games. They haven't begun to play their best baseball yet, and they have won 7 of the past 10. I think it is not unreasonable to think they can get to .500 by mid-June.

ChiSoxGirl
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Bullpen is looking strong.

To me, this is key. Early in the season, the mere mention of the word "bullpen" made so many of us cringe and :cower:. Now, their number of scoreless innings has reached something like 23 or 24. Additionally, Matt Thornton seems to be getting out of his own head and Sergio Santos is proving he's got what it takes to be our closer. That dazzing 0.00 ERA of his is some kind of awesome, isn't it?! It's unfortunate the team didn't go with Santos initially; they wouldn't be in quite as deep of a hole.

This two-gamer with Cleveland tonight and tomorrow night is pretty big. Sizemore is on the DL, so hopefully the Sox can take advantage of the absence of his bat from the lineup. Furthermore, I'm hopeful they can hit Cleveland's pitching around the way they did during the first two games of the season.

GoSox2K3
05-18-2011, 09:21 AM

If the Sox keep playing like this, they're going to get their asses handed to them by Cleveland these next 2 nights.

SI1020
05-18-2011, 09:36 AM
White Sox win. I am happy. That is all. :D: That sums it up for me too. For the last 50+ years I am always happy when they win, no matter how they manage to do it, or who the opponent is.

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
A nice, unexpected clutch hit by Dallas McPherson to advance Beckham and put the go-ahead run in scoring position. Enjoy your brief stay with us, sir!

I was watching him come out for a PR at the game last night and he reminded me of Jim Thome, i.e., too big to play 3B.....

However if he swings the bat well, especially from the left side, Teahan might go on the '180-day DL'.

guillensdisciple
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Meanwhile, Viciedo continues to pound away in triple A.

Ha, that rhymed.

GoSox2K3
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Meanwhile, Viciedo continues to pound away in triple A.

Forget it, the great Oz can't fathom a way to work Viciedo into our lineup.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110517&content_id=19180678&notebook_id=19196450&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

hawkjt
05-18-2011, 12:18 PM
McPherson was an excellent choice to come up,obviously. As a lefty,he had the edge in that critical at bat,and the Rangers did not respect him enough to bring in a lefty....worked out great. I would not have liked Viciedo's chances in that situation vs a righty with immediate pressure situation. Dallas is a vet and stayed calm.

Sox face the Indians best starters,so beating them will not be easy,but they absolutely need to get at least one,and at least 4 wins the rest of the week.

Need a big nite...Bulls win,Sox win...tonite's the nite!!

JC456
05-18-2011, 01:53 PM

A win is a win isn't it?

JermaineDye05
05-18-2011, 01:56 PM
A win is a win isn't it?

Yes, but it just shows how bad this team is that they have to rely on very poor play by the opposition to win a game. The offense is still a major concern and shouldn't be overlooked.

asindc
05-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes, but it just shows how bad this team is that they have to rely on very poor play by the opposition to win a game. The offense is still a major concern and shouldn't be overlooked.

You could say that about any of the teams we played poorly against/gave the game away to.

Marqhead
05-18-2011, 02:04 PM
You could say that about any of the teams we played poorly against/gave the game away to.

Yeah, I'm not going to put much stock in winning games on wild pitches seeing as a large part of the game of baseball is taking advantage of mistakes. Plenty of other teams have been doing that to us, it's nice to see the role reversal for a change.

JermaineDye05
05-18-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm not going to put much stock in winning games on wild pitches seeing as a large part of the game of baseball is taking advantage of mistakes. Plenty of other teams have been doing that to us, it's nice to see the role reversal for a change.

What concerns me is just that we're still struggling to get hits with RISP with less than 2 outs. More times than not, we're either GIDP or the classic strikeout/pop-up combination.

I'd like to see the Sox win games convincingly more before I believe they're going to turn it around.

We still have too many automatic outs in this lineup right now.

Nellie_Fox
05-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Forget it, the great Oz can't fathom a way to work Viciedo into our lineup.And yet I'm firmly convinced that if the Sox bring him up and he struggles against major-league pitching, people on here will excoriate the Sox for ruining another prospect.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 03:41 PM
And yet I'm firmly convinced that if the Sox bring him up and he struggles against major-league pitching, people on here will excoriate the Sox for ruining another prospect.

100% no question.

SoxSpeed22
05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
And yet I'm firmly convinced that if the Sox bring him up and he struggles against major-league pitching, people on here will excoriate the Sox for ruining another prospect.You are correct. I don't think it's worth it to bring Viciedo up at this point in the season. I would rather have him working on his defense and playing every day. A defensive outfield of Quentin-Rios-Viciedo would be brutal. Dayan did pretty well as a September callup last year, so I'm not that worried about his bat.

TDog
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
McPherson was an excellent choice to come up,obviously. As a lefty,he had the edge in that critical at bat,and the Rangers did not respect him enough to bring in a lefty....worked out great. I would not have liked Viciedo's chances in that situation vs a righty with immediate pressure situation. Dallas is a vet and stayed calm. ...

I don't think it's entirely a matter of lack of respect. I thought Washington didn't want to burn his bullpen late in a tie game where getting out of the inning could have meant extra innings, especially with one on and one out. Ramirez was on deck followed by Dunn. Washington didn't want to be in a situation where Rhodes was pitching to Ramirez, who has more home runs than Dunn, but wanted him available to face Dunn. I was guessing that if Washington had feared McPherson the way he feared Dunn, Rhodes would have come in, but not bringing in Rhodes to face the left-handed pinch-hitter wasn't a sign of disrespect.

It's entirely possible that the Rangers believed they had the book on McPherson because he played in the same division for a few years. But it appears McPherson has had some success against the Rangers in the past.

I thought it was interesting that Guillen pinch-hit with McPherson instead of Pierre, who was going to replace Lillibridge on defense. Guillen knew Rhodes was in the bullpen. This morning I looked up McPherson's career stats against Rhodes, and I found that he singled in his only plate appearance against the southpaw, so you can't assume he would have been an automatic out.

palehozenychicty
05-18-2011, 07:10 PM
And yet I'm firmly convinced that if the Sox bring him up and he struggles against major-league pitching, people on here will excoriate the Sox for ruining another prospect.

Right. Let the guy get his at-bats. I'm happy for Morel too. He's doing all that he can.