PDA

View Full Version : This is why we need a new GM

Dadawg_77
07-08-2002, 03:36 PM
The Weaver deal, as just increased my disgust with the Sox management to new levels.

From Boston
And upstairs, Brian Cashman never stops working. Creative three-way deals like the Weaver-Carlos Pena-Lilly trade happen because of the band of young general managers who network from sunrise to sundown, a group that includes Cashman, Billy Beane, Steve Phillips, Dan O'Dowd, Mark Shapiro, Kevin Towers, Brian Sabean and J.P. Ricciardi. It's a group whose ideas never stop.

No Lenny to be found.

Also from ESPN
And the Yankees picked up Weaver in exchange for Ted Lilly not because they really needed him, but because ... well, they could. The A's actually snared the right-hander first from the Tigers, but Oakland GM Billy Beane knew all along he'd never be able to afford the back end of Weaver's contract, which will pay him a combined $15 million in 2004-2005.
Beane said, "I'm going to need that money to eventually pay my top three starters (Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder)."
So he picked up the phone and called Cashman.
"I think I can get Weaver," Beane said. "If I do, do you want him?"
Cashman couldn't say yes fast enough. The Yankees had been trying to snare Weaver since spring training, since he's only 25, and the front office has been trying to build a staff beyond the eventual retirements of Clemens and David Wells. But the Tigers lost interest when the Yankees' best prospect, pitcher Brandon Claussen, underwent elbow surgery.

The player to be named later is a young prospect the A's drafted last year, but since he hasn't been a A for a entire year, he can't be traded as of yet. I forgot the name, I think it might of been their number one pick. I saw some people were commenting on it.

But look at this deal, Beane goes out figures out he what it would take to get Weaver. All the while, Beane knows he can't keep Weaver due to money concerns(Just think of that staff, makes me want to drool). He calls up Cashman to see if he can get Cashman to send him some players he needs for Weaver. Cashman uses his talent in the minors to go and get Weaver and SP which Yankees don't need since they will have Weaver. Beane gets a guy who he thinks will be a pretty good pitcher for cheap(money wise). I think Lenny had something like this in mind when he traded for Royce, but the idiot never had a deal in place before hand nor realized if anyone wanted Clayton, they could of had him already. Man this just made me realize how bad it is at 35 and Shields.

oldcomiskey
07-08-2002, 03:42 PM
thats not what disgusted me---it was Montreal dealing--if they can afford it so can we

Dadawg_77
07-08-2002, 03:44 PM
There is a big difference between the Sox and the Expos. They don't have to worry about tomorrow, the Sox do. That lets them trade away the farm for a shot to win it this year.

Procol Harum
07-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
thats not what disgusted me---it was Montreal dealing--if they can afford it so can we

:reinsy

"No way! If I had 5,000 quality fans like they have attending all the games up in Montreal instead of the 19,000 louts coming out to Comiskey we could set MLB on fire!!"

:KW

"What can I say? My hands are tied."

soxtalker
07-08-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey

The Montreal trading may be an aberration due to the potential folding of the franchise. It probably makes sense from the perspectives of the individuals involved. Anyone in that organization probably has the personal incentive to be creative and aggressive for this year.

I think that the discussion of the NY/Oakland/Detroit trade is fascinating in that it highlights how important it is to have a smart GM. In particular, if one focuses on Oakland, it is amazing what Beane has been able to do with very limited resources. The fact that NY has someone the caliber of Cashman means that they can deal not only from a position of strength with their dollars but also with top management talent. It looks to me at this point like Beane and Cashman engineered a deal that worked for both of them.

Now, maybe one doesn't hear a lot about GM's in other cities, so it is a bit difficult to judge their personalities. However, my impression is that the angry outbursts that we occasionally see from KW are very unusual for good GM's. KW is aggressive; he takes actions in an effort to win. The problem is that he doesn't seem to be very creative, and many of his actions haven't been terribly effective.

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
The Montreal trading may be an aberration due to the potential folding of the franchise. It probably makes sense from the perspectives of the individuals involved. Anyone in that organization probably has the personal incentive to be creative and aggressive for this year.

The Expos are going to be sold for a ton of money, that's why their stocking up.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2002, 01:23 AM
"There is a big difference between the Sox and the Expos. They don't have to worry about tomorrow, the Sox do. That lets them trade away the farm for a shot to win it this year."

Yea we can't mortgage that "promising future" for a team that hasn't even been to a World Series in 43 years (and counting..)

As I recall that's the same kind of talk coming out of the Sox mouths on July 31, 1997 when they pulled off the White Flag / Surrender Deal.

I guess I was in a coma during the ensuing years when the Sox won the World Series with the guys we got from San Francisco.

Lip