PDA

View Full Version : Observation of Flubs fans on Metra

Fenway
05-17-2011, 01:49 PM
Last week I hopped a METRA in Evanston doing downtown - the Cubs were playing that afternoon.

Train was filled with Cubs fans and I was amazed that none of them got off at Davis St or Main in Evanston to switch to the CTA.

They all went downtown and then doubled back to Wrigley.....

Am I missing something or are they that naive?

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Last week I hopped a METRA in Evanston doing downtown - the Cubs were playing that afternoon.

Train was filled with Cubs fans and I was amazed that none of them got off at Davis St or Main in Evanston to switch to the CTA.

The purple line - if the express isn't running from Howard - is probably slower than going all the way downtown. It's at least a close call. But my guess is that they simply think that's the "way to get there." I guess I'd liken it to people who live in the city but still seem to need expressways to get everywhere. Just ignorant of other options.

Fenway
05-17-2011, 01:57 PM
The purple line - if the express isn't running from Howard - is probably slower than going all the way downtown. It's at least a close call. But my guess is that they simply think that's the "way to get there." I guess I'd liken it to people who live in the city but still seem to need expressways to get everywhere. Just ignorant of other options.

Except then you have to get back to the Red Line which is at least a 10 minute walk.....

I just thought it was odd

I saw in the Bi-Level that on Opening Day, 1600 people used the new 35th St Station by The Cell :smile:

C-Dawg
05-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Who was it - Fenway I think? - who some years ago mentioned watching a big group of Cub fans get on a Red Line train somewhere downtown which was going the "wrong way" (ie, south), without noticing it wasn't going to Howard. I wonder what they thought when they saw USCF?

Ahhh, Cub fans. No one ever accused them of being transportation-savvy. A few years ago, I was boarding a Blue Line train at Forest Park, for a Cubs-Sox game at USCF. The station was absolutely packed, not just with baseball fans but also with people heading to the north side for the Gay Pride parade that same afternoon. But who was the only group having trouble buying and using the CTA transit cards? Hint - it wasn't the Sox fans or pride fans.

DSpivack
05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Except then you have to get back to the Red Line which is at least a 10 minute walk.....

I just thought it was odd

I saw in the Bi-Level that on Opening Day, 1600 people used the new 35th St Station by The Cell :smile:

Why not get off at Ravenswood? And walk to the Lawrence el or something?

doublem23
05-17-2011, 03:35 PM

That's what I would think would be easiest.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 03:41 PM

It's a mile walk to the red line from Ravenswood. The switch in Evanston is right at the station for both Metra and CTA.

doublem23
05-17-2011, 03:46 PM
It's a mile walk to the red line from Ravenswood. The switch in Evanston is right at the station for both Metra and CTA.

I'm guessing he was talking about the Brown Line; the Damen Brown Line stop and the Ravenswood Metra stop are within eyesight of one another, and then it's only 5 stops on the Brown Line to Belmont.

Fenway
05-17-2011, 03:48 PM

You really want fans from Glencoe walking into Uptown :tongue:

miker
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
To generations grown up on the door-to-door convenience of the automobile, the concept of making smart connections is very foreign to many people, not just Cub fans.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm guessing he was talking about the Brown Line; the Damen Brown Line stop and the Ravenswood Metra stop are within eyesight of one another, and then it's only 5 stops on the Brown Line to Belmont.

But then the brown line is a 4-block walk to Wrigley. Just seems to me Evanston switch would be easier than Ravenswood. Eh, why am I debating something I don't care at all about?

kittle42
05-17-2011, 04:35 PM
You really want fans from Glencoe walking into Uptown :tongue:

Actually, yes.

Max Power
05-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I've witnessed plenty of Cub fans, and others, transferring from the Metra to the el at Davis. I don't know what the people on that train were thinking. The trip from Davis to Addison is like 30 minutes since the slow zones were taken care of. It takes about that long to get from Davis to downtown on the Metra.

Brewski
05-17-2011, 05:08 PM

I've witnessed plenty of Cub fans, and others, transferring from the Metra to the el at Davis. I don't know what the people on that train were thinking. The trip from Davis to Addison is like 30 minutes since the slow zones were taken care of. It takes about that long to get from Davis to downtown on the Metra.

A No Brainer. Done it dozens of times, but not for Cubs games.

BeeBeeRichard
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Metra to Ravenswood. Three-block walk to Clark. Bus to park. Not unlike route via Milwaukee North line: Metra to Grayland. Two-block walk to Addison. Bus to park.

But the correct answer is skip the Cubs game altogether.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Metra to Ravenswood. Three-block walk to Clark. Bus to park. Not unlike route via Milwaukee North line: Metra to Grayland. Two-block walk to Addison. Bus to park.

Great post!

DumpJerry
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM

The Purple Line uses the new 5000 series cars which are full of bums. Who wants that on the way to Beautiful Wrigley Field?

LongLiveFisk
05-17-2011, 09:59 PM
The Purple Line uses the new 5000 series cars which are full of bums. Who wants that on the way to Beautiful Wrigley Field?

First a bunch of bums, then a game at Wrigley Field? That's too many consecutive hours smelling urine.

g0g0
05-18-2011, 07:58 AM
:whocares

doublem23
05-18-2011, 08:09 AM
But then the brown line is a 4-block walk to Wrigley. Just seems to me Evanston switch would be easier than Ravenswood. Eh, why am I debating something I don't care at all about?

Yeah but that's a nice 4-walk block up Clark Street, plus, if you really don't want to do it, you can transfer from the Brown to Red at Belmont and make the 1-stop ride.

Gavin
05-18-2011, 08:53 AM
You guys are forgetting... busses are icky!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RZ38nEmwP_8/S5sHF_hrJkI/AAAAAAAAAGM/kibSyWrmHR4/s400/douchebag+cubs+fan+2.jpg

Moses_Scurry
05-18-2011, 10:19 AM

I have to say that I lived in Lakeview for a year and a half (as opposed to the 'burbs), and I never really figured out the bus system. I was OK with the trains and transfers, but I maybe used a bus 2-3 times in that year and a half. I bet there are a lot of other residents with similar experiences.

DSpivack
05-18-2011, 10:32 AM
I have to say that I lived in Lakeview for a year and a half (as opposed to the 'burbs), and I never really figured out the bus system. I was OK with the trains and transfers, but I maybe used a bus 2-3 times in that year and a half. I bet there are a lot of other residents with similar experiences.

Why? Buses are not complicated.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 10:38 AM

The CTA bus network is enormous, so I guess that is the confusion? I mean, ****, I've lived here almost my entire life, have been riding CTA buses since I was 14 and a freshman in high school, and I don't know where 75% of the bus routes go.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
The CTA bus network is enormous, so I guess that is the confusion? I mean, ****, I've lived here almost my entire life, have been riding CTA buses since I was 14 and a freshman in high school, and I don't know where 75% of the bus routes go.

Nevertheless, you walk to a major street, there's a bus that generally goes straight down that street. I don't think it's too complex.

DSpivack
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM

There isn't a map on every bus of where each bus route goes, each route being a different color [that would be way too confusing anyway]. You wouldn't have a need to know even 25% of the CTA bus routes, just the ones you need to take.

Nevertheless, you walk to a major street, there's a bus that generally goes straight down that street. I don't think it's too complex.

It's really not.

Moses_Scurry
05-18-2011, 11:40 AM

Part of it was just not having the desire to take the bus. In those days, I wasn't very tight with what little money I had. If I couldn't take a train, I took a cab, drove, or walked if I wasn't in a hurry (in those days I was running marathons and had no problem walking a mile or two to get where I was going). I knew where bus stops were around me, but I didn't really take the time to learn their routes. The only times I took the bus were when I was with somebody who knew the route. I worked in the suburbs so I had to drive to work.

kittle42
05-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Part of it was just not having the desire to take the bus. In those days, I wasn't very tight with what little money I had. If I couldn't take a train, I took a cab, drove, or walked if I wasn't in a hurry (in those days I was running marathons and had no problem walking a mile or two to get where I was going). I knew where bus stops were around me, but I didn't really take the time to learn their routes. The only times I took the bus were when I was with somebody who knew the route. I worked in the suburbs so I had to drive to work.

I agree on your dislike of buses, but the route is just that the bus goes straight. Belmont, for example: It goes straight down Belmont from LSD to Cumberland, the entire length of the city. The great majority of the lines are like that.

Moses_Scurry
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree on your dislike of buses, but the route is just that the bus goes straight. Belmont, for example: It goes straight down Belmont from LSD to Cumberland, the entire length of the city. The great majority of the lines are like that.

Well if I ever move back, I'll be sure to take the bus more.

doublem23
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM

I agree, but I can just see how the bus system might seem more complicated and daunting to people unfamiliar with it. L stops are always defining parts of neighborhoods and, for the most part, I think most people know the general vicinity of where every CTA line goes, it's simple enough that even someone who doesn't ride it frequently would know which lines go to the ballparks, which lines go to the airports, which line goes to Oak Park, etc. The bus system is just too big for anyone to grasp in its entirety and since people are afraid of certain parts of this city (and rightfully so), I think that steers folks away from the buses.

bestkosher
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Who was it - Fenway I think? - who some years ago mentioned watching a big group of Cub fans get on a Red Line train somewhere downtown which was going the "wrong way" (ie, south), without noticing it wasn't going to Howard. I wonder what they thought when they saw USCF?

Ahhh, Cub fans. No one ever accused them of being transportation-savvy. A few years ago, I was boarding a Blue Line train at Forest Park, for a Cubs-Sox game at USCF. The station was absolutely packed, not just with baseball fans but also with people heading to the north side for the Gay Pride parade that same afternoon. But who was the only group having trouble buying and using the CTA transit cards? Hint - it wasn't the Sox fans or pride fans.

Was it Sox Pride fans?

kittle42
05-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Was it Sox Pride fans?

[rimshot].