PDA

View Full Version : Viciedo

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2011, 01:40 PM
With our horrible hitting I can't believe he has not been called up yet.
I wonder if because there is no place for him to play in Chicago could the Sox want to build up his AAA stats so he is valuable trade bait for some team that needs a DH.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
See Teahen/McPherson thread.

guillensdisciple
05-17-2011, 01:50 PM
With our horrible hitting I can't believe he has not been called up yet.
I wonder if because there is no place for him to play in Chicago could the Sox want to build up his AAA stats so he is valuable trade bait for some team that needs a DH.

Why the **** would you want to give up someone who has the potential to be a really good hitter for you when your team needs youth and sucks at hitting? Do we need veterans to shore up this teams dynamic crop of ****ty veterans?

EDIT: not directing this as an assault at you just general question.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-17-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm looking at his numbers and wondering what the hell this kid needs to do after passing the eye test last year: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3917&position=3B

I refuse to accept defense as a legitimate excuse from a team that moved Quentin to RF so that they can play Juan Pierre in LF everyday.

If he's not good enough to play the field then what the hell was the point of overpaying a DH 4yr/$56 mil? (Who, by the way, is already being removed for pinch runners in the first year of the deal.)

Couldn't that money have been put to better use? Is the marketing department making personnel decisions now?

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Why the **** would you want to give up someone who has the potential to be a really good hitter for you when your team needs youth and sucks at hitting? Do we need veterans to shore up this teams dynamic crop of ****ty veterans?

EDIT: not directing this as an assault at you just general question.

No offense taken but maybe you have a better answer why he isn't in Chicago. I don't want them to trade him but what the heck is going that they have not called him up yet. Are they waiting until we are 20 games out.

Noneck
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
No offense taken but maybe you have a better answer why he isn't in Chicago. I don't want them to trade him but what the heck is going that they have not called him up yet. Are they waiting until we are 20 games out.

Probably because they feel he would be better served learning his trade at the minor league level which is an original idea considering their prior actions. (Beckham, Sale)

LITTLE NELL
05-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Probably because they feel he would be better served learning his trade at the minor league level which is an original idea considering their prior actions. (Beckham, Sale)

There are whole bunch of guys on the Sox that need to be in Charlotte learning their trade.

peelwonder
05-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I think Viciedo is out of options...so if you call him up he has to stay up the rest of the season....

doublem23
05-17-2011, 03:42 PM
I think Viciedo is out of options...so if you call him up he has to stay up the rest of the season....

A. I don't think he is.
B. Isn't there some kind of provision that allows the Sox to not use one of his options if he is called up to replace someone on the DL?

BainesHOF
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Viciedo needs to be brought up now to play left field on a daily basis.

russ99
05-17-2011, 03:54 PM

He is out of options, but since the Sox used one this year, that doesn't start to be a problem until next season.

Each minor league player gets three, the Sox only need to use one per year, and need to use them when demoting a player to the minors after a player's contract is purchased, i.e. brought up to the major league roster.

1) March 19, 2009
Link: (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-03-19/sports/0903181070_1_chris-getz-alexei-ramirez-josh-fields)

2) August 13, 2010
Link: (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5460324)

3) April 6, 2011
Link: (http://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/articles/viciedo_activated_optioned_to_charlotte/4513698)

A. Cavatica
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
What if Viciedo comes up, commits a bunch of errors, hits a ton, and ends up winning the DH spot? How embarrassing that would be to Dunn, and to Williams.

Hitmen77
05-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Ozzie's comments on why Viciedo wasn't brought up:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110517&content_id=19180678&notebook_id=19196450&vkey=notebook_cws&c_id=cws

RustyKuntz
05-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I imagine the Sox are looking at how quickly Beckham was brought up and what's happened to him.

Maybe they want to make sure Viciedo is really, really, really ready.

I think Beckham's collapse is making them a little gun-shy.

doublem23
05-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I imagine the Sox are looking at how quickly Beckham was brought up and what's happened to him.

I think Beckham's collapse is making them a little gun-shy.

I certainly hope so, although, from my perspective, I think the difference between Viciedo and Beckham is that Viciedo has struggled plenty at time in the minors and has learned how to cope and pull himself out of funks. Beckham never struggled professionally before he got to Chicago and I don't know if it's a skill he's really ever had to learn. I'm willing to bet that Bacon was always the best player on the diamond at every stop in his baseball career until he got to Chicago and now, when he needs help, there isn't anyone there to teach it because big league hitting coaches, from what I can tell, don't do jack **** but complain about being singled out for bad baseball.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
...there isn't anyone there to teach it because big league hitting coaches, from what I can tell, don't do jack **** but complain about being singled out for bad baseball.

MLB hitting coach is the hardest uniformed job in professional sports. :rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
05-19-2011, 02:34 PM

I think Beckham's collapse is making them a little gun-shy.What collapse? He isn't doing anything out of the ordinary for this team. He has become the prototypical Walkerian hitter. Horrible slumps to start the season, catching fire in the middle, cooling down towards the end. If it was just Gordon, that would be a story. He fits right in with this team. It is such a shame because Gordon is so talented. However, he will never be much more than he is now unless Walker is sent walking or he is traded. No matter how much seasoning Viciedo gets in the minors, he will meet the same fate unless the Sox make changes to their philosophy.

khan
05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
I certainly hope so, although, from my perspective, I think the difference between Viciedo and Beckham is that Viciedo has struggled plenty at time in the minors and has learned how to cope and pull himself out of funks. Beckham never struggled professionally before he got to Chicago and I don't know if it's a skill he's really ever had to learn. I'm willing to bet that Bacon was always the best player on the diamond at every stop in his baseball career until he got to Chicago and now, when he needs help, there isn't anyone there to teach it because big league hitting coaches, from what I can tell, don't do jack **** but complain about being singled out for bad baseball.
I agree with all of this, although one wonders why Beckham and Sale are being allowed to suck at the MLB level, while holding up the team with their suckiness. Why not send them down?

That said, speaking ONLY of Viciedo's bat, his .846 OPS is "nice," but not so incredibly high that it cannot be ignored. Moreover, when viewed through the lens of his 19% K-rate [again, at AAA], there would likely be more harm than good done to Viciedo's future, AND to the big club as well, IMO. That is, if he were brought up now.

Nellie_Fox
05-19-2011, 02:54 PM
He has become the prototypical Walkerian hitter. Horrible slumps to start the season, catching fire in the middle, cooling down towards the end.Just curious; what could he possibly teach someone that would cause this pattern? Since you have characterized it as "Walkerian," you apparently know what Walker teaches that only works in the middle of the season.

slavko
05-19-2011, 03:52 PM
I agree with all of this, although one wonders why Beckham and Sale are being allowed to suck at the MLB level, while holding up the team with their suckiness. Why not send them down?

Beckham and Sale are "Halo" guys. "Horns" guys are not allowed to suck at the MLB level. I could give you a few names, but you can figure it out yourself. That's true for players in the pages of WSI too.