PDA

View Full Version : Teahen to DL. McPherson Called Up

DirtySox
05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
ESPNChiSox Doug Padilla
Teahen to the DL. Dallas McPherson's contract purchased.
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Well, no off days for Pierre anytime soon...

Looking forward to Dallas' Cust-esque levels of strikeouts.

doublem23
05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
:gah:

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Well, I don't like this.

I'm guessing this was Ozzie's call.

KMcMahon817
05-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Calling up Viciedo creates more problems than it solves when Teahen comes back. Obviously, I would prefer Dayan up with the SOX, but if he wouldn't be able to play everyday in the field. He NEEDS to play everyday in the field, so until the SOX are ready to give him LF or RF on a daily basis, keep him in AAA.

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Calling up Viciedo creates more problems than it solves when Teahen comes back. Obviously, I would prefer Dayan up with the SOX, but if he wouldn't be able to play everyday in the field. He NEEDS to play everyday in the field, so until the SOX are ready to give him LF or RF on a daily basis, keep him in AAA.

Not really. Pierre's play makes the decision quite obvious IMO.

Red Barchetta
05-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Move Quentin back to LF and put Viciedo in RF...

...and then tell Rios to catch everything he can get to! :o:

KMcMahon817
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
Not really. Pierre's play makes the decision quite obvious IMO.

It all depends on Dayan's options. DirtySox said earlier this week he is out of options, and he usually knows his minor league stuff pretty well. Some others have said that since he was optioned to AAA after he came off the DL, that he can be optioned as much as the SOX want this season. But, who knows, there could be something different with his contract.

IF, in the case here were out of options, calling him up creates more problems than it solves. When Teahen comes back, that means either they lose Viciedo or DFA Juan, Teahen or Lillibridge. I think that situation is trying to be avoided by bring up McPherson. Teahen's DL stint in retroactive to last Wednesday, I believe, so it will only be a week of Dallas anyway. Big deal.

tstrike2000
05-17-2011, 01:38 PM
I, too, am looking forward to Ozzie using him in a clutch situation so he can strike out with the bases loaded.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
I, too, am looking forward to Ozzie using him in a clutch situation so he can strike out with the bases loaded.

Really, what are the odds McPherson will be up the one time a week this team loads the bases? :D:

kaufsox
05-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Well, Juan is sitting tonight. So, not all bad. I hope Lilly doesn't play as poorly as he did last time he started in left and let Juan rest for a good long while.

Soxfest
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I do not get this team needs offense DUH!:angry:

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 01:53 PM

Wouldn't that be better than a 1-2-3 GIDP?

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Cogent and coherent.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm guessing they were impressed by his .305 AVG not even realizing, caring or understanding that it was fueled by a .429 BABIP. Never mind that his K rate is 33.1% and his ISO and SLG are at career lows.

Undoubtedly, everyone is thinking the same thing as this news rolls across the ticker: good luck with that.

I'm guessing this works out about as well as Lastings Milledge.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Cogent and coherent.

The Sox need to hit better AND field better AND run the bases better AND throw out opposing runners better.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
The Sox need to hit better AND field better AND run the bases better AND throw out opposing runners better.

But aside from that, everything looks good. All in.

DirtySox
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I'd like to see Dayan too, but Ozzie clearly hasn't given up on Juan yet. I don't expect Dallas to be seeing much playing time either.

tstrike2000
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Really, what are the odds McPherson will be up the one time a week this team loads the bases? :D:

You have a point, having the bases loaded has been a few and far between occurance.

Wouldn't that be better than a 1-2-3 GIDP?

You also have a point. Beckham or Pierre will be responsible for the weak ground outs.

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 02:12 PM

Not if he hits. This is a legit bat. He's not the greatest defensively. Frank Thomas was a horrible firstbaseman. Should he have languished in the minor leagues because the Sox didn't want to hurt someone's feelings? This All In crap is crap. McPherson is what he is and will not help. He can't field or hit at the major league level. KW needs to look in the mirror and see if he likes what he sees.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 02:17 PM
But aside from that, everything looks good. All in.

If they could just fix one or two of those four things, this team would be pretty good.

Good pitching + good power = lots of high scoring wins (2000, 2006 and 2008 seasons)

Good pitching + good defense, baserunning, speed and solid execution with RISP = lots of low scoring, close wins (2005 season)

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 02:21 PM
You also have a point. Beckham or Pierre will be responsible for the weak ground outs.

Yes, and Dunn and McPherson have the strikeouts covered, while AJ, Quentin, Rios and Alexei have the poputs covered.

Paulie can keep hitting singles to right field so the pro-Walker crowd can toot his horn.

SephClone89
05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I love it. McPherson's a grinder. This could really turn the season around.

Huisj
05-17-2011, 02:34 PM
The only thing I really remember about McPherson was a go-ahead homer he blasted off a hanger from Contreras in 2005.

Huisj
05-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Maybe McPherson can be this year's Herbert Perry.

LongLiveFisk
05-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Maybe McPherson can be this year's Herbert Perry.

Wow, I totally forgot about that guy. I'll bet even he'd be hitting .250 right now.

Jerko
05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
Wow, I totally forgot about that guy. I'll bet even he'd be hitting .250 right now.

You forgot about the Milkman? Go to your room. :tongue:

Jerko
05-17-2011, 03:50 PM
Maybe we can get lucky and Morel will go on a hot streak because he doesn't have to worry about being benched?

LongLiveFisk
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
You forgot about the Milkman? Go to your room. :tongue:

I'm already there. :tongue:

russ99
05-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Not if he hits. This is a legit bat. He's not the greatest defensively. Frank Thomas was a horrible firstbaseman. Should he have languished in the minor leagues because the Sox didn't want to hurt someone's feelings? This All In crap is crap. McPherson is what he is and will not help. He can't field or hit at the major league level. KW needs to look in the mirror and see if he likes what he sees.

We need Dayan to play full-time for us next year. To bring him up and have him ride the bench instead of playing full-time in Charlotte is is a bad idea. McPherson riding the bench and hitting against lefties 1-2 times a week isn't.

Despite the whining about Pierre, there's no way Kenny is going to ask Jerry eat $5M to cut him with no replacement in order to play a rookie who looked overmatched last year when pitchers found out his weaknesses, with no guarantee that he can adjust this time around.

And please, let's see Dayan play regularly for a few months at the big league level before comparing him with Frank.

Daver
05-17-2011, 05:02 PM

You can't be serious.

Frank Thomas is probably the finest example of plate discipline I will see in my lifetime, and you are comparing a player that has none to him?

kittle42
05-17-2011, 05:19 PM
You can't be serious.

Frank Thomas is probably the finest example of plate discipline I will see in my lifetime, and you are comparing a player that has none to him?

Well, they both play baseball and are big, and right handed, and....yeah, that's about it. Oh, wait, both have 5 letters in their first names!

DirtySox
05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
You can't be serious.

This. Dayan to Frank is an awful comp.

NLaloosh
05-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Who did you expect them to bring up? Bryce Harper? The White Sox have nothing. They have no one in the minors that will make a bit of difference on this team.

Taliesinrk
05-17-2011, 05:27 PM
We need Dayan to play full-time for us next year. To bring him up and have him ride the bench instead of playing full-time in Charlotte is is a bad idea. McPherson riding the bench and hitting against lefties 1-2 times a week isn't.

Despite the whining about Pierre, there's no way Kenny is going to ask Jerry eat $5M to cut him with no replacement in order to play a rookie who looked overmatched last year when pitchers found out his weaknesses, with no guarantee that he can adjust this time around.

And please, let's see Dayan play regularly for a few months at the big league level before comparing him with Frank.

Thank You! I can't believe all the people that continue to beg for him to come up. It's like no one has learned from Beckham, Sale, Morel, etc. Organizations good at developing talent consistently (obviously with a few exceptions) make sure that before bringing up prospects, those prospects are successful for a certain length of time at the minor league level. If you don't do that, and bring him up just because the major league club's player ahead of him isn't performing, you ruin his development. If he can't hit a curveball, take balls, play defense, etc. at the AA or AAA level, why the hell will he be able to at the major league level? Instead, he'll just have more pressure put on him to perform right now and rather than focusing on improving his weaknesses (like he should be doing in the minors), he'd be forced to put all his energy on getting immediate results, regardless if it forces him to develop bad habits, etc. Then, not only is the team left with ****ty major league players, they no longer even have a potential prospect to take his spot.

All that, plus the fact that Ozzie is the manager, translates into there being no reason that Viciedo should be called up this season unless he shows multiple months of success (at a minimum) in the minors, or is merely a September call-up for the experience (because his minor league season would be over at that point anyhow).

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 07:50 PM
You can't be serious.

No, just refuting your argument about Viciedo having to be a defensive wizard. If he was called up, he'd be one of the top 5 hitters on the team, and should play everyday.

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Thank You! I can't believe all the people that continue to beg for him to come up. It's like no one has learned from Beckham, Sale, Morel, etc. Organizations good at developing talent consistently (obviously with a few exceptions) make sure that before bringing up prospects, those prospects are successful for a certain length of time at the minor league level. If you don't do that, and bring him up just because the major league club's player ahead of him isn't performing, you ruin his development. If he can't hit a curveball, take balls, play defense, etc. at the AA or AAA level, why the hell will he be able to at the major league level? Instead, he'll just have more pressure put on him to perform right now and rather than focusing on improving his weaknesses (like he should be doing in the minors), he'd be forced to put all his energy on getting immediate results, regardless if it forces him to develop bad habits, etc. Then, not only is the team left with ****ty major league players, they no longer even have a potential prospect to take his spot.

All that, plus the fact that Ozzie is the manager, translates into there being no reason that Viciedo should be called up this season unless he shows multiple months of success (at a minimum) in the minors, or is merely a September call-up for the experience (because his minor league season would be over at that point anyhow).
Viciedo put up an .840 OPS on the major league level last year. He's ready to hit. If you're worried about retarding his development, keeping him in AAA against competition he's far superior , is not going to make him better.

HaroMaster87
05-17-2011, 07:57 PM
I love it. McPherson's a grinder. This could really turn the season around.

Shouldn't this be in teal?

Daver
05-17-2011, 07:58 PM
No, just refuting your argument about Viciedo having to be a defensive wizard. If he was called up, he'd be one of the top 5 hitters on the team, and should play everyday.

Nowhere did I say he needed to be a defensive wizard, and don't put words in my mouth.

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Nowhere did I say he needed to be a defensive wizard, and don't put words in my mouth.
You mentioned earlier and may have been in another thread, that trying to improve the offense with bad defensive players doesn't work. You said bad defensive players give up more runs than their offense produces. Another post mentioned his defense. There is no way Viciedo would be any worse defensively than Pierre has been. This team needs hitting and is supposedly "all in". Not putting him in the line up and sitting Pierre down is beyond ridiculous.

Daver
05-17-2011, 08:12 PM
You mentioned earlier and may have deleted that trying to improve the offense with bad defensive players doesn't work. You said bad defensive players give up more runs than their offense produces. There is no way Viciedo would be any worse defensively than Pierre has been. This team needs hitting and is supposedly "all in". Not putting him in the line up and sitting Pierre down is beyond ridiculous.

I don't delete posts, and I'll stand behind the statement about Viciedo being inferior to Pierre, who has at least played the position, something Dayan has never done. Stupid mistakes like not backing up a ground ball to third are the type of mistakes that give up runs, and Viciedo would have no clue how to do even that simple task.

And comparing a player that walks once a season to a player like Frank Thomas has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen posted here, and I've seen a lot of ridiculous things.

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't delete posts, and I'll stand behind the statement about Viciedo being inferior to Pierre, who has at least played the position, something Dayan has never done. Stupid mistakes like not backing up a ground ball to third are the type of mistakes that give up runs, and Viciedo would have no clue how to do even that simple task.

And comparing a player that walks once a season to a player like Frank Thomas has to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen posted here, and I've seen a lot of ridiculous things.

I never compared them. I only stated that keeping Viciedo in the minors because of alledged lack of defense, and supposedly his outfield defense isn't so bad, plus he can actually throw, is really no different than making Frank Thomas stay in the minors because he was a terrible firstbaseman. Viciedo is ready to hit now. I never compared him to Thomas offensively, maybe Carlos Lee. The Sox need to score runs. Viciedo in the line up gives them a far better chance than Lillibridge, Pierre or McPherson.

BTW, Viciedo did play the outfield in Cuba, and I'll take my chances on the back up of groundballs to 3B. How many runs has Pierre saved doing that? They run on Pierre at will. He throws flyballs back into the infield.

Daver
05-17-2011, 08:26 PM
I never compared them. I only stated that keeping Viciedo in the minors because of alledged lack of defense, and supposedly his outfield defense isn't so bad, plus he can actually throw, is really no different than making Frank Thomas stay in the minors because he was a terrible firstbaseman. Viciedo is ready to hit now. I never compared him to Thomas offensively, maybe Carlos Lee. The Sox need to score runs. Viciedo in the line up gives them a far better chance than Lillibridge, Pierre or McPherson.

No, you made a direct comparison of the two, I can quote it again if you want.

The Sox need to prevent runs even more than they need to score runs, baseball is not an offensive sport, it never has been. Fantasy Baseball has made people think it is, but in reality that is not the case.

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 08:33 PM
No, you made a direct comparison of the two, I can quote it again if you want.

The Sox need to prevent runs even more than they need to score runs, baseball is not an offensive sport, it never has been. Fantasy Baseball has made people think it is, but in reality that is not the case.
Yeah, go get the comparision. I said Frank was a terrible firstbaseman. The only reason Viciedo isn't here is because Ozzie doesn't want to bench Pierre and hurt his feelings. I said Frank was awful defensively but should he languish in the minors for the same reason? Get the quote.

Viciedo is better defensively than Pierre right now. There is no argument, he cannot throw, and he cannot catch the ball, and offensively its not close.

Daver
05-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Viciedo is better defensively than Pierre right now. There is no argument, he cannot throw, and he cannot catch the ball, and offensively its not close.

You base this on what?

dickallen15
05-17-2011, 08:41 PM
You base this on what?
Have you been watching White Sox baseball this season? Pierre's defense is one were the sabermatric guys, the scouts and the people watching all have given the same grade. Even if Viciedo couldn't catch a ball, something he can do, he could at least throw. Pierre has cost the Sox plenty in LF. Even

BringHomeDaBacon
05-17-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah, go get the comparision. I said Frank was a terrible firstbaseman. The only reason Viciedo isn't here is because Ozzie doesn't want to bench Pierre and hurt his feelings. I said Frank was awful defensively but should he languish in the minors for the same reason? Get the quote.

I agree with Daver on the importance of defense (even if he does overstate it) but it astonishes me that such a purveyor of defense would stand behind Pierre and his pathetic arm. I think that there is a general confusion or assumption that is equating good speed with good defense.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 08:49 PM
The Sox need to field and hit better. Pierre is doing neither well. And his one supposed asset - the ability to steal bases - seems to be failing.

Supposedly speed doesn't slump. If so, then perhaps Pierre has lost a step, never to return.

Daver
05-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I agree with Daver on the importance of defense (even if he does overstate it) but it astonishes me that such a purveyor of defense would stand behind Pierre and his pathetic arm. I think that there is a general confusion or assumption that is equating good speed with good defense.

Speed does not equal range, and having a decent arm and no range does not make anyone a better defender, especially when you are talking about a player that has never played left field, and has about 30 games experience playing in the outfield period.

There is a lot more to playing outfield defense than catching flyballs, it is knowing what base to throw to with men on, or seeing where a groundball is going and knowing how to position yourself in case it gets out of the infield, I could go on.

I never want the Sox to be in the position they were in at the start of this century, with Carlos Lee standing on the warning track in left field and shagging basehits that fell in front of him.

Noneck
05-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Pierre has had his troubles in the field this year but his career fielding has not been that bad. Viciedo doesnt have anything to base his fielding on except he couldnt play any other position well. I got a feeling Viciedo will be a lawn ornament in the outfield and will have a 98+ fielding% but will be more of a defensive liability than Pierre.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Speed does not equal range, and having a decent arm and no range does not make anyone a better defender, especially when you are talking about a player that has never played left field, and has about 30 games experience playing in the outfield period.

There is a lot more to playing outfield defense than catching flyballs, it is knowing what base to throw to with men on, or seeing where a groundball is going and knowing how to position yourself in case it gets out of the infield, I could go on.

I never want the Sox to be in the position they were in at the start of this century, with Carlos Lee standing on the warning track in left field and shagging basehits that fell in front of him.

In that case let Dunn play LF insert Viciedo at DH.

If Viciedo really cannot play the field, then it was completely foolish to go out and overpay Dunn to fill the one position they are able to fill via the minor leagues. After going through 2010 without a DH they ironically ended up in the same situation in which they were in years prior - a team with too many DHs.

Zakath
05-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Well, it paid off at least tonight.

Kind of only downhill from here for McPherson, though...

Taliesinrk
05-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Viciedo put up an .840 OPS on the major league level last year. He's ready to hit. If you're worried about retarding his development, keeping him in AAA against competition he's far superior , is not going to make him better.

That statement couldn't be more wrong. Even if I give you that he's "far superior" than the players he'd be facing in AAA (which just isn't true at this point in time), it still would be the right move to keep him down. Your statement implies that OPS is what defines a good baseball player. Despite the misguided thoughts of propeller heads, there's a hell of a lot more to the game than OPS. It may be a useful tool to analyze someone's hitting, but it address Viciedo's obvious deficiencies at the plate (and I won't even get into defense). If magic happened and the Sox called him up tomorrow and he continued to produce at an .840 OPS over the course of a whole season (or even 2 months), that would be his peak (granted a bit of an oversimplification). In AAA, he can learn and work on plate discipline, while 1. not having to worry about immediate production being demanded from him, and 2. he can more easily do so (because, according to you, he's "far superior" to his opponents there) not having to worry nearly as much about all the other aspects of his offensive game since he's already demonstrated that he's mastered those facets at that level, and 3. being guaranteed consistent PAs, which he would not be at the major league level. Allowing him to do this will better enable him to be a complete player and get more out of his potential once he does come up to the pros. If he doesn't sort his problems out before arriving, continued exposure to MLB opposition is guaranteed to quickly exploit his deficiencies.

I think it's similar to when people discuss the Twins minor league system. Many have discussed how before being promoted from each level, every player has to demonstrate that they can handle a list of certain basic/fundamental baseball tasks, regardless of their overall production. Viciedo's situation is analogous to MIN refusing to promote a AAA player who had consistently put up great offensive numbers, but had repeatedly failed to be able to lay down a sac bunt, hit to the right side to move a runner over, couldn't hit an off-speed pitch, or whatever other random aspect of offense you'd like to imagine that the Twins could (or do) demand of their players (although, again, I'm sure that part of their requirements are defensive as well).

Milw
05-17-2011, 11:47 PM

What good is it knowing what base to throw to when you don't even have the arm to get it there?

dickallen15
05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
That statement couldn't be more wrong. Even if I give you that he's "far superior" than the players he'd be facing in AAA (which just isn't true at this point in time), it still would be the right move to keep him down. Your statement implies that OPS is what defines a good baseball player. Despite the misguided thoughts of propeller heads, there's a hell of a lot more to the game than OPS. It may be a useful tool to analyze someone's hitting, but it address Viciedo's obvious deficiencies at the plate (and I won't even get into defense). If magic happened and the Sox called him up tomorrow and he continued to produce at an .840 OPS over the course of a whole season (or even 2 months), that would be his peak (granted a bit of an oversimplification). In AAA, he can learn and work on plate discipline, while 1. not having to worry about immediate production being demanded from him, and 2. he can more easily do so (because, according to you, he's "far superior" to his opponents there) not having to worry nearly as much about all the other aspects of his offensive game since he's already demonstrated that he's mastered those facets at that level, and 3. being guaranteed consistent PAs, which he would not be at the major league level. Allowing him to do this will better enable him to be a complete player and get more out of his potential once he does come up to the pros. If he doesn't sort his problems out before arriving, continued exposure to MLB opposition is guaranteed to quickly exploit his deficiencies.

I think it's similar to when people discuss the Twins minor league system. Many have discussed how before being promoted from each level, every player has to demonstrate that they can handle a list of certain basic/fundamental baseball tasks, regardless of their overall production. Viciedo's situation is analogous to MIN refusing to promote a AAA player who had consistently put up great offensive numbers, but had repeatedly failed to be able to lay down a sac bunt, hit to the right side to move a runner over, couldn't hit an off-speed pitch, or whatever other random aspect of offense you'd like to imagine that the Twins could (or do) demand of their players (although, again, I'm sure that part of their requirements are defensive as well).

Then why do they ever promote guys from A to AA to AAA? You get to the point it doesn't do you any good anymore. Its time to move up. Viciedo is more than ready for the big leagues offensively. The Sox need offense. Its a no brainer, but the manager won't play him because of his love for a guy who appears done. Viciedo is not going to be a guy who moves guys over, he's going to be a guy who drives guys in. His walk rate will have to improve, but facing bad AAA pitching isn't going to make him more patient.

sunofgold
05-18-2011, 09:26 PM
The Mark Teahen Factor- when your team has Mark Teahen on the active roster, your winning percentage goes down. When Mark Teahen isn't on your active roster (i.e on the disabled list) your winning percentage goes up

Mark Teahen Factor 2011

On roster 17-25
On DL 2-0

Does anybody have the Mark Teahen factor numbers from 2010? If not, I will calculate them. Thanks!

Nothing personal against Teahen, but I think that we should trade him to the NL. For the sake of the team.

Zakath
05-18-2011, 09:35 PM
The Mark Teahen Factor- when your team has Mark Teahen on the active roster, your winning percentage goes down. When Mark Teahen isn't on your active roster (i.e on the disabled list) your winning percentage goes up

Mark Teahen Factor 2011

On roster 17-25
On DL 2-0

Does anybody have the Mark Teahen factor numbers from 2010? If not, I will calculate them. Thanks!

Nothing personal against Teahen, but I think that we should trade him to the NL. For the sake of the team.

His last appearance for the team at the beginning of 2010 came on May 30, and he didn't come back until August 13. Not sure if he spent the entire interim on the DL, but they didn't play on May 31, went 18-9 in June, 18-8 in July, and 6-6 through August 12, so 42-23 without Teahen in 2010 and 46-51 with him.

sunofgold
05-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks! Those number look right to me.

Teahen Factor 2010

Teahen on active roster 46-51
Teahen on DL 42-23

Overall Teahen Factor

Active 63-76
DL 44-23

Please keep Teahen on the DL!

Huisj
05-18-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree with most that comparing Viciedo to Thomas is idiocy. The best comparison I can think of is Carlos Lee.

Lee couldn't play good enough defense at 3rd, sort of had rumors of going to 1st, and then came up and was thrown into left field to find a way to get his bat in the lineup. His plate discipline in the minors was more or less bad, but he was a good enough contact hitter to be good in the minors and hold his own once he got to the big leagues.

If Viciedo can come up sometime in the next year and be Carlos Lee II I'd be at least somewhat ok with that. Expecting more might be looking for too much I'm afraid.

khan
05-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Then why do they ever promote guys from A to AA to AAA?
That's a fair question. In many cases, a player is promoted from one level to the next to continue to challenge them, and to round out their skills. Whether or not this sort of thing happens in the SOX farm system is up to debate.

You get to the point it doesn't do you any good anymore. Its time to move up. Viciedo is more than ready for the big leagues offensively.
Are you sure about this? Or are you overestimating his readiness?

Setting aside our frustration at the utter craptitude of the SOX offense, there is more to consider than just his bat. [Which, I don't believe is entirely ready-yet.] Also, set aside your disappointment at a team whose chances of making the post season appear to be infinitesimal at this point. Viciedo is not going to rectify a WHOLE pile of bad and dumb by the players, the coaches, the manager, and the GM.

The Sox need offense. Its a no brainer, but the manager won't play him because of his love for a guy who appears done. Viciedo is not going to be a guy who moves guys over, he's going to be a guy who drives guys in. [B]His walk rate will have to improve, but facing bad AAA pitching isn't going to make him more patient.
And now you understand but ONE reason why Viciedo hasn't been promoted. That said, patience is a bit easier to learn when you're not facing the best of the best of the best.

The SOX have done enough bad and dumb promotions in recent years that have sent up incomplete and ill-prepared players to the Cell. There is scant reason to do so another such promotion with Viciedo at this time. It will not serve the player, and it won't save this season for the club.

34 Inch Stick
05-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks! Those number look right to me.

Teahen Factor 2010

Teahen on active roster 46-51
Teahen on DL 42-23

Overall Teahen Factor

Active 63-76
DL 44-23

Please keep Teahen on the DL!

Expand it to include the Royals during and after his time with them. I think you will find The Teahan Factor to still be true.

sunofgold
05-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Kinda like the Cubs factor. But with the Cubs factor you can have two ex-Cubs and be okay.

You probably don't want a single ex-Royal on your team. I think Teahen is the only ex-Royal on our team right now. Correct me if I am wrong.

delben91
05-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Kinda like the Cubs factor. But with the Cubs factor you can have two ex-Cubs and be okay.

You probably don't want a single ex-Royal on your team. I think Teahen is the only ex-Royal on our team right now. Correct me if I am wrong.

Humber played for KC last season.

Frater Perdurabo
05-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Teahen out; Sox rout.

sunofgold
05-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Mark Teahen Factor 2011

On roster 17-25
On DL 4-1