PDA

View Full Version : Fixing this team

FGarcia34
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Sitting here at 17-25 isn't anywhere close to where I thought the Sox would be on May 17th. What are the options to fix this thing? Earlier in the season the bullpen couldn't get an out and over the last month the offense can't seem to buy a run. I feel like it's a lack of production from the top of the order coupled with guys like Rios, Morel, Beckham, and Dunn off to rough starts. So how much longer can you continue to trot out the same damn lineup game after game? Why not change something up? There are some options available and I would hope they are exploring them. I mean, Pierre at the top of the order is just brutal. He attempts bunts and never gets hits. He can't steal a base and is basically a rally killer. He is playing ugly baseball.

So, first off get Pierre out of the leadoff spot and even out of the lineup. Right now, he looks like a fourth outfielder/pinch runner. Just can't count on the guy.

Second, get Morel off the field as well. He has done nothing to warrant the everyday job at 3rd. Give the primary job to Vizquel while working Teahen in a bit more. Why not see if we can squeeze some production out of the veterans? The rookie isn't working out. Send him back down to Charlotte and let him work his struggles out down there.

Third, bring up Viciedo. The guy is tearing the cover off the ball in Charlotte right now. He was swatting the ball in spring training before he got hurt. This is his time. Work out a situation to get this guy at bats.

Fourth, we are going to need to acquire some sort of infielder. A flexible player because we will be using Vizquel primarily at third. Maybe a guy like Nick Punto would be available? We would need to have some sort of insurance in case Beckham continues to struggle like he is right now.

Starting tonight vs. Texas (LHP Matt Harrison)

3B - Omar Vizquel
SS - Alexei Ramirez
RF - Carlos Quentin
1B - Paul Konerko
DH - Adam Dunn
CF - Alex Rios
2B - Gordon Beckham
C - A.J Pierzynski
LF - Brent Lillibridge

Give Pierre a break, plus Lillibridge has had some success against Harrison. Bring Viciedo up immediately and he will produce at the lower part of the order.

khan
05-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Sitting here at 17-25 isn't anywhere close to where I thought the Sox would be on May 17th. What are the options to fix this thing?
It depends. If they hold onto the insane idea that this team still has a snowball's chance in hell of contending, I don't think there's much they can do. This team sucks, the manager sucks, the GM denuded the organization of any assets of value, and this is what we've got.

But, if they have 2 brain cells to rub together, they'll back up the truck.

That said, I'll even play along with the rest of your post:
So, first off get Pierre out of the leadoff spot and even out of the lineup. Right now, he looks like a fourth outfielder/pinch runner. Just can't count on the guy.
While it may be true, Pierre won't be moved anywhere. The manager loves this guy for some insane reason.

Second, get Morel off the field as well. Send him back down to Charlotte and let him work his struggles out down there.
You'd think that they'd do this, but the mopes running this clown town didn't send down Beckham a year ago, and now, some believe Beckham is ruined. I suspect that Morel won't go anywhere, either. There are NO CONSEQUENCES to sucking as a young SOX player.

Third, bring up Viciedo. Work out a situation to get this guy at bats.
Where? How? The manager "couldn't find AB for Jim Thome," but could find AB for Mark Kotsay. In any case, I'd prefer Viciedo staying in Charlotte.

Fourth, we are going to need to acquire some sort of infielder. A flexible player because we will be using Vizquel primarily at third. Maybe a guy like Nick Punto would be available? We would need to have some sort of insurance in case Beckham continues to struggle like he is right now.
Nick Punto? Is he a FA? Otherwise, how would this team acquire any warm body? What can KW trade away now? In any case, Beckham is doing better in May than he did in April, although he still looks like a much-lesser player than we'd hoped for.

Starting tonight vs. Texas (LHP Matt Harrison)

DH - Adam Dunn

You do realize that Adam Dunn has ZERO HITS vs. LHP, right? [Of course the probably-illiterate manager doesn't recognize this fact, and Dunn will probably bat 3rd and strike out 4 times today.]

Gavin
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM
This team is stuck in the mud and can't really do anything aside from spinning its wheels in futility. Aside from a HUGE miracle, these White Sox are done on this day, May 17th.

FYI: The 2005 White Sox were 30-12 after 42 games.

tstrike2000
05-17-2011, 11:24 AM
It would start if we could get all 9 spots in the lineup batting at least their weight.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 11:38 AM
[Of course the probably-illiterate manager]

You make it really hard to want to agree with you.

Carneyman14
05-17-2011, 11:53 AM
It would start if we could get all 9 spots in the lineup batting at least their weight.

This. Switching up the line up will only do so much. Hitting is hitting

KMcMahon817
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
It depends. If they hold onto the insane idea that this team still has a snowball's chance in hell of contending, I don't think there's much they can do. This team sucks, the manager sucks, the GM denuded the organization of any assets of value, and this is what we've got.

I don't think the SOX have a good shot of winning the division, but it is still only May. Unless the Tigers pull away big time from the SOX in June (5.5 games is very surmountable), the SOX have a much better chance than a snowball in hell.

Is this team flawed? Yes. Does Pierre need to be benched? Yes. Does Rios need to pull his head out of his ass? Yes. But there is still a month before trading any pieces would make any logical sense. Give it that.

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
I think it's time to start fresh with a coaching staff, except for Coop.

Only guy who appears to be able to get through to his players.

soltrain21
05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
I think it's time to start fresh with a coaching staff, except for Coop.

Only guy who appears to be able to get through to his players.

Why not Coop, too? What is his claim to fame? Matt Thornton?

JB98
05-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Why not Coop, too? What is his claim to fame? Matt Thornton?

The Sox do have more quality starts than any team in baseball since 2003. I feel like our starting pitching is still pretty damn good. A couple weeks ago, the Sox had a three-game losing streak where they lost 1-0, 3-2 and 3-2. What more can the pitchers do?

Even last night, only four runs allowed. I guess it's too damn much to ask this American League lineup to win a 5-4 game every now and then.

Hitting, fielding and baserunning are all atrocious on this team. None of those are Cooper's area.

That said, if they wanted to completely clean house and gut this whole ****ing thing, I wouldn't protest.

SoxSpeed22
05-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Why not Coop, too? What is his claim to fame? Matt Thornton?Jose Contreras, Gavin Floyd, Esteban Loaiza, Bobby Jenks, Phil Humber, Sergio Santos...

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Jose Contreras, Gavin Floyd, Esteban Loaiza, Bobby Jenks, Phil Humber, Sergio Santos...

Those ones especially right now.

soltrain21
05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Jose Contreras, Gavin Floyd, Esteban Loaiza, Bobby Jenks, Phil Humber, Sergio Santos...

Loiaza had one good year. Jenks always had the talent and really, wasn't great in his last few years. Floyd is still somewhat inconsistent. Santos and Humber, sure.

I don't hate Cooper at all. I just think he sometimes gets far too much credit.

kufram
05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
"You do realize that Adam Dunn has ZERO HITS vs. LHP, right? [Of course the probably-illiterate manager doesn't recognize this fact, and Dunn will probably bat 3rd and strike out 4 times today."

Some very good points made by this poster are completely degraded and ruined by phrases like this. Grow up.

It says more about you than it does about the target

doublem23
05-17-2011, 12:31 PM
Loiaza had one good year. Jenks always had the talent and really, wasn't great in his last few years. Floyd is still somewhat inconsistent. Santos and Humber, sure.

Cooper is widely recognized as one of, if not the, best pitching coach in baseball. It's not just us overvaluing our own coaches.

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM

Yeah, but it's not like his guys aren't producing. For the most part, whenever the Sox struggle, it's not because of their pitching, it's because of their offense.

Even in games that the bullpen blows, it tends to happen because the offense was unable to capitalize when they had the chance.

BainesHOF
05-17-2011, 12:32 PM
The horse is out of the barn as far as salvaging this season with a trip to the playoffs. I can't believe this was allowed to happen without ANY changes being made.

Looking ahead to 2012, Ozzie and his coaches need to go. (To anyone who doesn't think a managerial change can make a big difference, look at the immediate, long-term effect Showalter had in Baltimore.) Kenny needs to go,too. A weird refusal to make changes this season and the sorry state of our farm system has been the tipping point with me on him. It's time for the organization to come up with a true plan to build a champion. That's going to involve dumping some contracts and seeing what we can get for some veterans that still have some value. It also involves bringing up Viciedo and playing him in left field immediately.

salty99
05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Yes what impact on the major league level has Buddy Bell really had since he took over the farm system? So far we have either traded everyone or all the prospects have flopped at the MLB level or AAA.

asindc
05-17-2011, 01:27 PM

-Loiaza's "one good year" under Cooper was his only good year.
-Jenks always had talent but has only put it together under Cooper, despite playing for two other teams.
-Floyd has only been good under Cooper.

There are too many examples of guys only pitching well in their careers while under Cooper's tutelage to not give the man his due.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
You make it really hard to want to agree with you.

Ozzie can read. But I think he CHOOSES not to do so very often. It's hard to talk and read at the same time. And it's pretty apparent he doesn't pay attention to scouting reports, stats or splits.

russ99
05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Fire Walker and bring in any hitting coach with a different approach and a firm belief in changing the approach at the plate to suit the situation, and this could be a .500+ club by mid June.

Every pitcher knows right now that we're going to take the first few pitches and they're getting a huge advantage with all those 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

Some like to say that Ozzie has lost the clubhouse, it's much more accurate that Walker has lost the hitters.

As I said before: Either he's instructing them do differently and they're ignoring him - or he's not doing enough. Either way he has to go.

JermaineDye05
05-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Fire Walker and bring in any hitting coach with a different approach and a firm belief in changing the approach at the plate to suit the situation, and this could be a .500+ club by mid June.

Every pitcher knows right now that we're going to take the first few pitches and they're getting a huge advantage with all those 0-2 and 1-2 counts.

Some like to say that Ozzie has lost the clubhouse, it's much more accurate that Walker has lost the hitters.

As I said before: Either he's instructing them do differently and they're ignoring him - or he's not doing enough. Either way he has to go.

That's my view on the situation. There's too many proven veterans on this team for all but one of them to be slumping at once which then points at the coach.

This isn't the first time this has happened to the team early on in the season either. Which then makes me wonder about Ozzie and what the rest of the coaching staff is doing with these hitters during spring training.

Lip Man 1
05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
They've had issues out of the gate / first two months for five consecutive seasons now. That's not chance, luck, coincidence...that's now a trend and a bad one.

Lip

NLaloosh
05-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Why do I have the feeling this headline is coming for July 1st ?

" Omar Vizquel found dead from exhaustion. 44 year old led Sox with .385 average playing the last 32 games"

billyvsox
05-17-2011, 05:54 PM
My thoughts: Bring up Viciedo, he is hot and being wasted in AAA. Bench Pierre, if he cant use his speed he has no value. Platoon Omar and Morel at 3rd, dont give up on Beckham just yet, Drop Dunn in the lineup until he proves he can hit in the AL.

Vizquel 3b
Alexei SS
Konerko 1b
Quentin Lf
Rios Cf
Viciedo Rf
Dunn DH
Pierzynski C
Beckham 2b

vs. lefties...lead off Rios and put Morel to 8 spot

Oh....and **** this 6 man rotation BS, move Jax or Danks to bullpen

Dan H
05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Want to fix the team? How about dropping the denial routine?

Steve Stone was on the Score the morning of the 17th and he said the cold weather was one reason the Sox were losing at home. While he of course admitted that the opposition has to play in the same weather, Stone said the Sox were built for home run hitting park like U.S. Cellular and those homer hitters' fly balls were dying on the track because the ball doesn't travels so well in the cold.

I have several things to say to that. First, Chicago Aprils are almost always cold so I guess this means the Sox tank their home games every April. Now I don't see every Sox game, but I do know what I have seen in person and on TV. Weak pop-ups, feeble ground outs and a lot of strike outs. I also have seen innings end so fast that if you leave your seat to get something to eat and or drink, the Sox inning is over by the time you get to the concession stand. What does the cold have to do with that?

I'm still hoping the season can be salvaged, but there is something wrong with this whole situation. Time for a change, any change, and that starts with some facing of the facts.

tstrike2000
05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
You do realize that Adam Dunn has ZERO HITS vs. LHP, right? [Of course the probably-illiterate manager doesn't recognize this fact, and Dunn will probably bat 3rd and strike out 4 times today.]

http://snl.jt.org/caps/impressions/DaCa-Johnny%20Carson.jpg I.....did not know that.

Dan H
05-17-2011, 10:07 PM

He still doesn't have any hits against LHP. But Hawk said he just missed one when he fouled it off.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-17-2011, 10:25 PM
He still doesn't have any hits against LHP. But Hawk said he just missed one when he fouled it off.

He appears like the kind of hitter easily neutralized in the late innings via LOOGEY. Considering the all or nothing results (mostly nothing so far) and the fact that Ozzie also seems to like pinch running for him, he's basically Jim Thome. Unfortunately, Dunn's probably going to be more like the 08/09 version of Thome than the 06/07 version. One month in, and I'm already hating on the 4 yr/$56. PLEASE change my mind Adam - And SOON !!!!!!!

Either way, it's going to be tough to break even on those $30mil for age 33 and 34.

Crooked Number
05-17-2011, 11:58 PM
:hawk
Oh he got a cookie right there. Boy i tell ya Adam is just missing it, one twenty-secondths of an inch. He was looking for it, got it and couldnt do anything with it. I tell ya Stone Pony Adam is close, i know versus lefties he is now O fer twenty six but he is looking locked in

JermaineDye05
05-18-2011, 12:00 AM
:hawk
Oh he got a cookie right there. Boy i tell ya Adam is just missing it, one twenty-secondths of an inch. He was looking for it, got it and couldnt do anything with it. I tell ya Stone Pony Adam is close, i know versus lefties he is now O fer twenty six but he is looking locked in

It seems like Hawk is saying that for all of our hitters except Pauly.

kufram
05-18-2011, 08:38 AM
This situation kind of reminds me of Apollo 13. They had so much going wrong all at once and all of the controllers started barking out panic-driven orders and suggestions which added to the chaos. Gene Krantz had the coolness to say "everybody... just calm down, look at your data... let's not do anything NOW that makes the situation worse". And at that point a lot of very smart people thought those guys were as good as dead.

Like it or not I think we've got what we've got with this team and we're going to have to see if these guys can pull themselves out of it. Maybe a couple of moves will make a difference... maybe not. Sure, there must be something organizationally wrong to explain the trend of the last few years but it isn't going to be a one fix or a one idea solution and it isn't going to happen overnight and probably not during a season.

One thing I know for sure... if we can beat the Indians tonight and tomorrow, ugly or otherwise, things will look very different.

akingamongstmen
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
This situation kind of reminds me of Apollo 13. They had so much going wrong all at once and all of the controllers started barking out panic-driven orders and suggestions which added to the chaos. Gene Krantz had the coolness to say "everybody... just calm down, look at your data... let's not do anything NOW that makes the situation worse". And at that point a lot of very smart people thought those guys were as good as dead.

Like it or not I think we've got what we've got with this team and we're going to have to see if these guys can pull themselves out of it. Maybe a couple of moves will make a difference... maybe not. Sure, there must be something organizationally wrong to explain the trend of the last few years but it isn't going to be a one fix or a one idea solution and it isn't going to happen overnight and probably not during a season.

One thing I know for sure... if we can beat the Indians tonight and tomorrow, ugly or otherwise, things will look very different.

Anytime an analysis of a situation (sports or otherwise) prompts someone to say, "This situation kind of reminds me of Apollo 13" it is time to worry. Based on that comparison, we're looking at a miraculous .500 season with everybody's job saved at the last minute against all odds. Exciting stuff!

Tragg
05-18-2011, 09:51 AM
The team needs an athletic right fielder and someone who can get on base a lot to lead off. This is the same answer I gave to the question in 2007, and neither gaping hole has been fixed.

russ99
05-18-2011, 10:16 AM
The team needs an athletic right fielder and someone who can get on base a lot to lead off. This is the same answer I gave to the question in 2007, and neither gaping hole has been fixed.

I agree with that. The only issue is that there are very few leadoff hitters in the majors who have high OBPs, and I don't see us signing or trading for a Reyes or a Ellsbury.

This article is interesting since it uses a new idea to rate leadoff hitters, scoring position efficency. Linky (http://www.3-dbaseball.net/2009/04/whos-best-leadoff-hitter-in-baseball.html)

Ironically, Juan Pierre (pre-2011 slump) is rated pretty highly.

miker
05-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Anytime an analysis of a situation (sports or otherwise) prompts someone to say, "This situation kind of reminds me of Apollo 13" it is time to worry. Based on that comparison, we're looking at a miraculous .500 season with everybody's job saved at the last minute against all odds. Exciting stuff!

They DID save the astronauts...did they not?

kufram
05-18-2011, 10:44 AM
They DID save the astronauts...did they not?

Well, yes they did save them and I wasn't implying that it wasn't a time to worry... of course it is. That goes without saying (or teal) surely.

It is the cacophony of surefire solutions that can be JUST as worrying. What is needed are cool heads to come up with good solutions.

khan
05-18-2011, 10:49 AM
This is but one reason why I question OG's intellect. Adam Dunn has always done worse v. LHP; if one bothers to take 5 minutes to read Dunn's career numbers, this tendency would be fairly apparent. Of course, the disclosure must be made that "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results." But past performance can give one a hint as to what might occur in the future.

That said, in the 2011 season, as Dunn is learning a new league, and learning new pitchers' tendencies, and learning how to DH, Dunn's struggles v. LHP are somewhat to be expected. In fact, I'd assume that any reasonable manager would anticipate these struggles, and take measures to limit them. In other words, to put the player in the best position to succeed, so that the TEAM is in the best position to succeed.

If OG could figure out what the character "0" means, then maybe he wouldn't put Dunn into a position to fail.

0-26 is a bad streak. But when Adam Dunn is 0-26, PLUS has 11 Ks in those 26 AB, there is simply no excuse for batting Dunn 3rd v. LHP. [At least, until Dunn shows signs of life v. LHP first.]

TomBradley72
05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Transition from Pierre to Viciedo in the OF- outfield is set
Vizquel becomes a full time starter through the All Star break- playing every day at 3rd or 2nd- leading off.
Against tough LH's- start Lillibridge/have him lead off
Morel and Beckham lose some playing time based on #2 and #3- depending on match ups, etc.
Begin to make tough roster calls to right the ship and get back in the race- either Teahen or Pierre needs to go when Viciedo is called up- I'd get rid of Teahen. We have 2-3 better options at any position he can help with (3rd/1st/OF/DH).
Get Dunn out of the 3rd hole- replace with Quentin(3rd)/Dunn/Konerko, etc.
We're 3rd in the AL in team ERA for May- so for now I'd stay the course with the pitching staff- bullpen seems to be stabilizing.

russ99
05-18-2011, 11:37 AM
This is but one reason why I question OG's intellect. Adam Dunn has always done worse v. LHP, if one bothers to take 5 minutes to read Dunn's career numbers. Of course, the disclosure must be made that "Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results." But past performance can give one a hint as to what might occur in the future.

That said, in the 2011 season, as Dunn is learning a new league, and learning new pitchers' tendencies, and learning how to DH, Dunn's struggles v. LHP are somewhat to be expected. In fact, I'd assume that any reasonable manager would anticipate these struggles, and take measures to limit them. In other words, to put the player in the best position to succeed, so that the TEAM is in the best position to succeed.

If OG could figure out what the character "0" means, then maybe he wouldn't put Dunn into a position to fail.

0-26 is a bad streak. But when Adam Dunn is 0-26, PLUS has 11 Ks in those 26 AB, there is simply no excuse for batting Dunn 3rd v. LHP. [At least, until Dunn shows signs of life v. LHP first.]

That's easy to say, but the Sox made a huge investment in Dunn, so how can they just sit that investment?

Could it be more about the Sox trying to get results from the gamble the front office made on giving Dunn that big contract to hit in a more difficult league, over assuming that Ozzie is an idiot?

Besides, the guy's not going to put together better at-bats sitting on the bench. I'm all for dropping him in the order, but we're at a point with 4-5 guys who need to be dropped in the order.

To me it all comes down to this: 4 years of new sets of hitters, 4 years of the same approach, 4 years of the same results. Why the heck does Walker still have his job?

khan
05-18-2011, 12:00 PM
That's easy to say, but the Sox made a huge investment in Dunn, so how can they just sit that investment?
Russ, remember this quote:

"I make the ****ing lineup."

Some overly-macho blowhard made this stupid comment. It was intended to somehow insulate that blowhard from his own stupidity.

If he's such a freaking hot-rodder, why doesn't he show the stones necessary to sit a guy who is HURTING the team v. LHP? Supposedly, he's so "tough" that he can do whatever he wants, right? But, since he says, "I make the ****ing lineup," he must not be smart enough to read a split.

Could it be more about the Sox trying to get results from the gamble the front office made on giving Dunn that big contract to hit in a more difficult league, over assuming that Ozzie is an idiot?

Besides, the guy's not going to put together better at-bats sitting on the bench. I'm all for dropping him in the order, but we're at a point with 4-5 guys who need to be dropped in the order.
Going 0-26, with 42% of those AB being Ks is bad. Putting that guy in to bat 3rd is so stupid that it insults the stupid. Remember, russ, OG did the same thing with Thome, who also struggled v. LHP. One would assume that a reasonable person would learn from their prior mistakes, and avoid making the same one. A wise man learns from his mistakes, while a fool is doomed to repeat them.

To me it all comes down to this: 4 years of new sets of hitters, 4 years of the same approach, 4 years of the same results. Why the heck does Walker still have his job?

Remember, team apologists like Ranger tell us that hitting coaches don't do anything. If we accept his premise, then it must follow that a player's abilities/tendencies cannot be changed all that much, despite any amount of coaching.

Therefore why should a player who continues to fail, and continues to hurt the team v. LHP continue to be put into a position to fail?

We all enjoy your spin doctoring, your Ozz-pologies, and your setting up of poor comparisons to defend OG. But, nothing changes this fact, and this quote:

soxinem1
05-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Then Juan P. Error would be hitting .155, .162 if it was raining during the game.

Since he draws a walk every Tuesday that would raise his OBP to .179 and he would be worse than he is now.

Ramirez would be hitting .181, .187 if it was raining.

And since he draws a walk every Wednesday his OBP would be almost as bad as Juan P. Error.

The only player this would work out for right now is Dunn. All the others are in fact hitting their weight.

TDog
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM
There is something to be said for the weather being an issue. Steve Stone isn't an apologist. It's entirely possible that Humber has been so consistently good this season because of the weather. Pitchers have a definite advantage because it's usually easier for them to throw well in adverse conditions. If they aren't sharp, can't find the plate, can't find their curve etc., they lose that advantage. In April, the White Sox lost games because of bad defensive plays in key situations, not forced errors on bunts or wild throws to first forced by a runner threatening to steal or wild pitches with runners on third, but dropped routine fly balls.

The hitting slump hit after the series at home against the A's where the White Sox should have swept but the bullpen/defense turned it into a series loss. That came after the series against the Rays that the White Sox should have swept but only won three because for similar reasons. That followed a two-game series in Kansas City that the White Sox should have swept because after blowing the first game, they came up with four-runs after two were out with no one on base to take a ninth-inning lead against an All-Star closer. Of course, they blew that lead but won the game in extra innings. Perhaps the pressure of never seeming to have enough runs in the ninth affected the hitting and triggered a few slumps. Perhaps Dunn came back too soon from his minor surgery. In any case, the defense and bullpen has been performing much better of late.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the coaching. You see Konerko talking to Walker all the time about his hitting. In the last couple of seasons, I've seen a great improvement in Konerko's approach to hitting. It's amazing he has been able to put up such a high average with so little speed down the line at first. Even Quentin might have had a hit at the end of the eighth last night with the ball that Andrus fielded in the hole (probably an RBI hit as it looked like Pierre was coming around to score if the out wasn't recorded). Ramirez seems to have worked a lot on his hitting. He has worked a lot on his bunting to the point where he is bunting on his own. Rios has been working on his hitting and is getting better at bats. Lillibridge has developed into a pretty good hitter.

I have never really liked the composition of the lineup. I didn't believe the Sox needed a base-stealing threat to lead off. If he isn't getting on base, if he can't drive in runs when the lineup turns over with runners in scoring position. There are games that Pierre has come up two or three times with runners in scoring position. I would like to be able to put a superior defensive outfield out there. I wouldn't have signed Dunn, and he has proven such a frustrating hitter to watch. When he hits the ball hard, he usually hits it into the shift, and he strikes out twice as much as a hitter who could be considered to strike out too much. Dunn has said he has hit balls in Chicago that he thought would be home runs, so maybe the weather is causing the park to play big for him.

Dunn isn't going anywhere, though, and he people believe he will still get his 30 home runs. In 1983, trading Tony Bernazard for Julio Cruz (when fans wanted to fire Tony LaRussa) made all the difference. I wonder improving the situation the Sox have with Pierre might make a big difference both offensively and defensively.

In 2003, the White Sox were 7 down to the Royals at the All-Star break. They didn't win the division that year, but it had nothing to do with the Royals running away with the division in mid-July. Actually, 6 years ago today, the White Sox were 10 games up on the Indians, and I still read posts about how the Indians success during a White Sox collapse in 2005.

There is no reason to give up the season in mid-May.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
A sobering thought courtesy of Phil Rogers:

"As for the White Sox, let's do some quick math. It usually takes 90-plus wins to make the playoffs. To get to 90 from here, the Sox need to go 72-47 the rest of the season. That's .605 baseball. Do you believe in miracles?"

He has a real point...at this point I'd be satisfied considering everything that has gone wrong to have a winning season. That doesn't mean I'd be doing cartwheels over it, not with a 125 million dollar payroll but at least it's something.

Lip

russ99
05-18-2011, 04:27 PM
A sobering thought courtesy of Phil Rogers:

"As for the White Sox, let's do some quick math. It usually takes 90-plus wins to make the playoffs. To get to 90 from here, the Sox need to go 72-47 the rest of the season. That's .605 baseball. Do you believe in miracles?"

He has a real point...at this point I'd be satisfied considering everything that has gone wrong to have a winning season. That doesn't mean I'd be doing cartwheels over it, not with a 125 million dollar payroll but at least it's something.

Lip

If the Sox end up with their usual 11-4 record against interleague opponents, then that goes down to 61-43 (.586) the rest of the season, which isn't so bad if they can start playing to expectations ASAP.

Lip Man 1
05-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Russ:

IF is a mighty big word. No guarantees the Sox will do anything against the N.L.... they should given the track record but this could be one of those years.

We'll see.

Lip