PDA

View Full Version : Rays attendance and TV ratings way down

Fenway
05-16-2011, 12:11 PM
http://www2.tbo.com/news/rays/2011/may/16/5/rays-show-biggest-attendance-loss-tv-down-too-ar-207207/

Team is in first place and Tampa Bay yawns.....

Now the article doesn't mention the Lightning but that has to be a factor. Of course raising ticket prices didn't help either.

It is one thing when attendance is down, but TV ratings falling when the team is winning is a bad sign.

Red Barchetta
05-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm surprised. Most restaurants/bars, etc. show the games and they have a strong following. I don't think the Lightning success has any negative effect.

This team is going to slip out of town/area if they don't watch it.

I remember going to the 2008 playoff games and getting razzed by the fans since I was wearing my SOX gear. One gal was wearing a Longoria jersey with the tag still on. After hearing her sing the "Nah, Nah" song one too many times, I asked her to name five other Rays players and then asked her if she was going to return her jersey to Sports Authority after the Rays lose. :tongue:

...or maybe it's just the light blue alternate jerseys.

LITTLE NELL
05-16-2011, 02:22 PM
There is no doubt that they need a new stadium near downtown Tampa.
Their St. Pete location is way too far south of the population base.
Losing Carl Crawford, Garza, Soriano and Pena plus a few others really hurt the season ticket base.

Red Barchetta
05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
There is no doubt that they need a new stadium near downtown Tampa.
Their St. Pete location is way too far south of the population base.
Losing Carl Crawford, Garza, Soriano and Pena plus a few others really hurt the season ticket base.

...what season ticket "base"?! :?:

LITTLE NELL
05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
...what season ticket "base"?! :?:

They had a few but now less.

doublem23
05-16-2011, 04:36 PM
They had a few but now less.

http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img11048240.jpg
Now I'm the only one left, baby!

ComiskeyBrewer
05-17-2011, 02:43 AM
The Rays need a new stadium big time. However, i don't think the distance is enough to explain 16,000 avg when a team is in first place.

The biggest shock from that article was who had the biggest bump in attendance.......................

The Blue Jays with +46.2%!

i expected the Rangers to be up there, but the Blue Jays?:scratch:

doublem23
05-17-2011, 07:41 AM
The Rays need a new stadium big time. However, i don't think the distance is enough to explain 16,000 avg when a team is in first place.

The biggest shock from that article was who had the biggest bump in attendance.......................

The Blue Jays with +46.2%!

i expected the Rangers to be up there, but the Blue Jays?:scratch:

That's only because the Blue Jays attendance bombed so badly last year, at this point in the season last year they were dead last in attendance with about 15,000 per game. They're up to about 21,000 per game, so it's not like they're drawing like mad at the box (they're #21 overall in attendance in the MLB), they're just not doing as horribly as last season.

Viva Medias B's
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/baseball/mlb/img11048240.jpg
Now I'm the only one left, baby!

Dukie V attending games may be the sole reason for the Rays' attendance issues.