PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie On Schedule

Lip Man 1
05-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Doesn't minch words and he's right, the Sox got the royal screw job schedule-wise (again...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-schedule-still-irks-guillen-20110515,0,7553916.story

Lip

sox1970
05-15-2011, 06:23 PM
That's just whining. End of the season you play 81 at home and 81 on the road. Shut up and play.

And if they didn't start 11-22, they'd be looking pretty good going into the summer months playing predominately at home.

DumpJerry
05-15-2011, 06:24 PM
The Cub fan in my office and I are ready to send a letter to Bud telling him that for a mere $1,000,000.00, he and I can make a rational schedule for MLB.

All it takes is a huge whiteboard, several cases of beer, about six pizzas and a weekend.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Doesn't minch words and he's right, the Sox got the royal screw job schedule-wise (again...)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/cbsports-schedule-still-irks-guillen-20110515,0,7553916.story

Lip

The New York Yankees are scheduled to play only 20 home games in August and September.

It all goes back to when MLB fired the husband and wife in Massachusetts and went with computer experts in Pittsburgh - it has been a mess since

http://www.mvtimes.com/news/2005/10/06/sports.php

sox1970
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
I'd also like to point out that the 30 of 43 on the road is bookended with 10 game home stands. So that's 33 home/ 30 road in that 63 game period. Again, it's excuse making by Ozzie.

Lamp81
05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Also, think of how much jet fuel could be saved by MLB teams if the schedule was planned like that. Road trips should be grouped in a way to save fuel and save the teams money.

Is each team responsible for paying the travel costs of the teams or does MLB pay it? Teams like the Mariners and Marlins must have huge jet fuel costs.

Noneck
05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
He should consider the teams current 5-11 home record before he spouts off.

Zakath
05-15-2011, 06:32 PM
I'd bitch more about the lack of off-days in this stretch.

Between April 14 and June 2, not only do the Sox have 16 home and 30 road, but they only have two days off (May 5 and 12) in the entire stretch, giving them two 20-game stretches without an off-day.

They then have 4 off-days in June, 2 more (besides the All-Star break) in July, 3 in August, but only 2 in September. Longest stretches of games without an off-day after this are two 17-game stretches (July 29-August 14: 3 vs. Bos, 4 vs. NYY, 3 @Min, 4 @Bal, 3 vs. KC; September 2-18: 3 @Det, 3 @Min, 4 vs. Cle, 3 vs. Det, 4 @KC).

Fenway
05-15-2011, 06:34 PM
Also, think of how much jet fuel could be saved by MLB teams if the schedule was planned like that. Road trips should be grouped in a way to save fuel and save the teams money.

Is each team responsible for paying the travel costs of the teams or does MLB pay it? Teams like the Mariners and Marlins must have huge jet fuel costs.

Each team pays their travel expenses.

2 years ago the Red Sox were really nailed with a lulu of a road trip - Anaheim, Oakland, BALTIMORE and Seattle. Explain the logic of that one?

ewokpelts
05-16-2011, 08:21 AM
People tend to forget, but ANYONE can submit a bid to make a schedule for MLB.

If anyone was SERIOUSLY INTERSTED, I would recommend you make a mock schedule and present it to the league.

I'd love to do this, but my mock schedule would have interleague games spread out throughout the season. not just in june(and one weekend in may)

Hartman
05-16-2011, 08:28 AM
If this team was worth a ****, they would be at least .500 regardless of the schedule.

asindc
05-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I'd bitch more about the lack of off-days in this stretch.

Between April 14 and June 2, not only do the Sox have 16 home and 30 road, but they only have two days off (May 5 and 12) in the entire stretch, giving them two 20-game stretches without an off-day.

They then have 4 off-days in June, 2 more (besides the All-Star break) in July, 3 in August, but only 2 in September. Longest stretches of games without an off-day after this are two 17-game stretches (July 29-August 14: 3 vs. Bos, 4 vs. NYY, 3 @Min, 4 @Bal, 3 vs. KC; September 2-18: 3 @Det, 3 @Min, 4 vs. Cle, 3 vs. Det, 4 @KC).

I agree that this is more relevant than the road game/home game split. Also worth mentioning is that the Sox are one of the few AL teams that has not been rained out yet this season. None of this, however, excuses giving away at least four games (by my count: the TB home game, both Oakland home game losses, and the Saturday Baltimore game) this season.

103 screwball
05-16-2011, 08:59 AM
The league did them a favor if you ask me. The Sox play more at home when it is warm. Plus as bad as they were playing, the fans were turning against the team at one of the games I had a chance to go see. When bullpen blew the lead in the ninth vs. Oakland, the crowd that did not walk out was not kind to Matt Thornton as the walked off the field. It was uncomfortable. Pierre also got picked off twice that game as well. Playing that poorly, it was better for them to get on the road and turn things around more towards respectable.

Hartman
05-16-2011, 09:56 AM
I guess dropping fly balls and making average pitchers look like baseball royalty is the schedule's fault too.

dickallen15
05-16-2011, 10:01 AM
So people are complaining about games being played in cold weather cities in April, then complain the Sox didn't get some home games the past 2 weeks? Did anyone notice the weather the past couple of weeks? They actually got a big break. They also went 6-3 on the road and 2-8 at home. If anything, playing home games is screwing the Sox. Just play.

JB98
05-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Leave the complaining about schedules to Circle Me Bert and Timberwolf.

Ozzie, shut the hell up and win the game in front of you. I don't want to hear excuses.

KMcMahon817
05-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I guess dropping fly balls and making average pitchers look like baseball royalty is the schedule's fault too.

A wee angry this morning? Cheer up, champ.

russ99
05-16-2011, 12:41 PM
Lots of warm weather home dates bodes quite well for this team.

Seems to me no matter what Ozzie says someone's going to take issue with it.

kittle42
05-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Seems to me no matter what Ozzie says someone's going to take issue with it.

Tends to happen when you are the face of the franchise and manager of a team that kinda sucks.

But wait, I forgot, he's not the one out there not executing, so we can't blame him. Let's blame the players. OK, so Pierre is terrible...

But wait, I forgot, I can't take issue with Pierre unless I equally take issue with everyone else who is underperforming, regardless of their age/salary/upside/ways they are sucking...so we better just start tossing almost everyone in.

Seems to me no matter what way anyone validly criticizes anything about the White Sox, someone's going to take issue with it.

miker
05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Seems to me no matter what way anyone validly criticizes anything about the White Sox, someone's going to take issue with it.

I take issue with your taking issue over people taking issue...wait a minute... :?:

kittle42
05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I take issue with your taking issue over people taking issue...wait a minute... :?:

Ha, ha! :D:

canOcorn
05-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Tends to happen when you are the face of the franchise and manager of a team that kinda sucks.

But wait, I forgot, he's not the one out there not executing, so we can't blame him. Let's blame the players. OK, so Pierre is terrible...

But wait, I forgot, I can't take issue with Pierre unless I equally take issue with everyone else who is underperforming, regardless of their age/salary/upside/ways they are sucking...so we better just start tossing almost everyone in.

:tiphat:

jdm2662
05-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Ozzie, quit bitching/making excuses and get your team to win. That is all.

The Bulls had the most back to back games of any team in the NBA this season. Not once did they complain. they just went out and won games.

Hitmen77
05-16-2011, 01:59 PM
So people are complaining about games being played in cold weather cities in April, then complain the Sox didn't get some home games the past 2 weeks? Did anyone notice the weather the past couple of weeks? They actually got a big break. They also went 6-3 on the road and 2-8 at home. If anything, playing home games is screwing the Sox. Just play.

Excellent point.

Leave the complaining about schedules to Circle Me Bert and Timberwolf.

Ozzie, shut the hell up and win the game in front of you. I don't want to hear excuses.

AMEN! :clap::clap::clap:

tstrike2000
05-16-2011, 03:22 PM
After all is said and done, you play 81 at home and 81 on the road. Yeah, the road games have been front-loaded thus far, but now Ozzie can just be quiet and play baseball. Stop sucking at home before complaining about all the road games.

pudge
05-16-2011, 05:27 PM
The New York Yankees are scheduled to play only 20 home games in August and September.

It all goes back to when MLB fired the husband and wife in Massachusetts and went with computer experts in Pittsburgh - it has been a mess since

http://www.mvtimes.com/news/2005/10/06/sports.php

That's fascinating - anyone in a corporate environment knows all to well the "what if you were hit by a bus" phrase, which may be the most overused, and lead to the most innane decisions in corporate America.

And BTW, scheduling is no easy task. It is a freakin' nightmare. For years I had to do it for a community league with about 16 teams, and it was horrible - someone always found something to complain about. I can't imagine that task for MLB, and having to make it unique every year.

Fenway
05-16-2011, 05:46 PM
That's fascinating - anyone in a corporate environment knows all to well the "what if you were hit by a bus" phrase, which may be the most overused, and lead to the most innane decisions in corporate America.

And BTW, scheduling is no easy task. It is a freakin' nightmare. For years I had to do it for a community league with about 16 teams, and it was horrible - someone always found something to complain about. I can't imagine that task for MLB, and having to make it unique every year.

Plus every team selects one day they have to be home.... Red Sox - Patriot's Day for example - NYY always wanted to be home on July 4th for the Boss' birthday. Toronto on July 1 for Canada Day and so on.

Ozzie may bitch about being in Oakland but would he have rather have been home this past weekend?

Lip Man 1
05-16-2011, 06:14 PM
From my interview with Bob Grim the Director of Coporate Broadcasting for the White Sox. Bob and Howard Pizer are the Sox contacts with MLB regarding the schedule:

“I know a lot of people thought the issue with the schedule was due to the husband and wife team that was putting them together so baseball changed to different folks. Then the thinking was that the issue was because many of the people working on the schedule spent the majority of their time in the National League, that maybe they didn’t understand the A.L. or the rivalries but apparently that’s not the issue either. I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.”

Enough time has passed that I feel comfortable with adding a few points that were left out of the original interview. The Sox organization at the highest levels have had "concerns" with the schedule and the way they have been treated for the past five years or so. So much so that Bob was asked by the higher-ups to document and examine every schedule in the American League to find examples how some teams were getting what the Sox considered "better" schedules. He passed his results on to those individuals, how they reacted to it and what they did with that information, I don't know.

Making the schedule is complicated to be sure but as Bob said in the interview there have been some specific examples that the Sox feel make no sense and favor some other teams and they want to know why.

My thoughts on the overall schedule are as follows. How that translates into correctable actions I can't comment on, I haven't thought it completely through.

1. Interleague warps everything. That needs to be corrected. Every team in a division needs to play the EXACT same interleague slates. As Bob Costas has pointed out, it is helping to decide divisional races because teams aren't playing the same opponents in the other league.

2. The season needs to start for the 1st week or 10 days at warm weather / dome sites only. No exceptions no matter how much those teams bitch. They can be paid a stipend for their inconvenience. Playing games in good weather for the fans and to lessen the injury risks are more important.

3. If MLB insists on expanding the playoffs considering they have already shortened the number of off days during the season, they are simply going to have to shorten the regular season down to 154 games or bring back double headers.

4. No team should have to play as many road trips in a finite period of time or have to play as many days in a row as the Sox got stuck with this year. A suitable number can be found in both instances.

5. Like in the selection of a jury, lawyers get only so many "challenges." MLB needs to do the same thing. Every team gets X number of challenges, meaning teams will have to decide and choose carefully what they want to object to in the schedule. This would lessen some of the difficulties.

Lip

Fenway
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
ďI know a lot of people thought the issue with the schedule was due to the husband and wife team that was putting them together so baseball changed to different folks. Then the thinking was that the issue was because many of the people working on the schedule spent the majority of their time in the National League, that maybe they didnít understand the A.L. or the rivalries but apparently thatís not the issue either. I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.Ē

They certainly didn't favor NYY this year with only 20 home games the last 2 months.

One huge problem is 14 teams in the AL and 16 in the NL. I have never really understood how Boston will always go West at least twice and yet only go to Chicago once. I guess it stems that there are less division games in the West.

Now Chicago being a two team market means if say the Cubs have a 10 game homestand - the White Sox will be on the road. That figures into it.

That also screws up everybody playing in warm weather early - if say both the Cubs and White Sox start the first 10 days on the road - at some point later they will both be home for long period which is something they try to avoid.

Interleague is a mess but since they want NYY-NYM, CWS-CUB, OAk-SF to play every year it will always be unequal. There is no way to fix it.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes there is...go back to the ORIGINAL idea behind interleague play. You only play the teams in your division in the opposite league, East plays East, West plays West, Central plays Central. Period. Yankees will still play the Mets, Sox / Cubs, Giants / A's. There is no problem here. Proud to be Your Bud folded when certain owners started complaining that they never got the Yankees to come to their town (notice I said Yankees not Red Sox) and promply screwed up a decent idea. (I'm sure those series between the Pirates / Mariners and Padres / Royals are a big draw!! LOL)

My heart bleeds because the Yankees got screwed once.

There have been times when both the Sox and Cubs have played at home at the same time. Deal with it. The Cubs still plays mostly afternoon home games, the Sox play at night...and the problem is what again???

It beats fans freezing their rear ends off and players having a higher injury risk along with bad baseball because it's 35 degrees out. That is insane.

You can always shorten the schedule and start opening the season in the middle of April if that's an issue with teams having to play a lot of early April games at home in warm weather.

There are always alternatives.

Lip

BainesHOF
05-16-2011, 06:55 PM
The schedule is the least of the team's problems. Ozzie, on the other hand, is a major problem.

Don't you love how Alexei hasn't covered second base properly on steal attempts for YEARS when his manager was a shortstop?

ChiSoxGirl
05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
After all is said and done, you play 81 at home and 81 on the road. Yeah, the road games have been front-loaded thus far, but now Ozzie can just be quiet and play baseball. Stop sucking at home before complaining about all the road games.

Haven't the road games been front-loaded like this over the last few years? I know that I haven't been to many Sox games in May over the last handful of years.

Fenway
05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
Haven't the road games been front-loaded like this over the last few years? I know that I haven't been to many Sox games in May over the last handful of years.

With the cold snap Chicago is having this might be a blessing

ChiSoxGirl
05-16-2011, 08:28 PM
With the cold snap Chicago is having this might be a blessing

No kidding!

Frater Perdurabo
05-16-2011, 08:57 PM
The schedule is the least of the team's problems. Ozzie, on the other hand, is a major problem.

Don't you love how Alexei hasn't covered second base properly on steal attempts for YEARS when his manager was a shortstop?

Thank you for posting this. Ozzie needs to shut the **** up about things completely outside of his control, and instead spend his time working with his players on the fundamentals, like how to cover second base on a stolen base attempt, like how to hit the cutoff man, like how to shorten your swing with two strikes, like how to avoid swinging at sliders in the dirt, etc.

Ozzie's more of a mouthpiece than a manager.

sox1970
05-16-2011, 10:13 PM
I will give them one thing to complain about regarding the schedule...

When you go on a 3-city road trip, it wouldn't suck to have a day off when you get back. It's not an excuse for tonight, but it would make sense to get a home off day after a long trip.

Lip Man 1
05-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Baines / Frater:

You may recall Ozzie has said many times during the past three off seasons about fundamentals, how it's taught and what he wants to do in spring training.

And every year the players look more baseball-stupid than ever....is it the players or the staff trying to teach?

I honestly don't know but it is frustrating and embarrassing that a major league team can't seem to do things that good high school and college teams do seemingly without much effort.

Lip

Lamp81
05-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't understand why that the Cubs and Sox need to always be the opposite of each other.

It's not like they are sharing the same fan base. I've never even heard of someone who has season tickets to both teams, to acutally use them, and not for re-sale.

If both are at home, the Cubs play a majority of home games during the day, while the Sox play a majority at night.

Why can't they play at the same time? The only people to be inconvenienced would be the vendors and CSN/WGN employees.

Both teams should start out on the road playing in warm weather/dome stadiums.

Dan H
05-16-2011, 11:49 PM
Maybe Ozzie should be put in the booth with Hawk. They could compete with each other for the best excuse making.

Nellie_Fox
05-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Both teams should start out on the road playing in warm weather/dome stadiums.This has been discussed repeatedly. The warm weather/dome teams don't want all their home games front-loaded in April when the kids are still in school either. They want their fair share of games in the summer time when people are more likely to head out to the game.

russ99
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM

There's nothing valid about the witch hunts over players who don't fit the bloated expectations of what constitutes a major league player constantly going on at this board over a number of years.

doublem23
05-17-2011, 09:47 AM
There's nothing valid about the witch hunts over players who don't fit the bloated expectations of what constitutes a major league player constantly going on at this board over a number of years.

Witch hunt? Juan Pierre sucks, the numbers back it up, he is literally the worst player in Major League baseball right now. I'm sorry that doesn't meet our "bloated" expectations.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Wonderful. Then what exactly do *you* propose be done to fix anything, ever? If we can't fault the players, or Ozzie, where exactly do we look to improve? Jesus ****ing Christ.

soltrain21
05-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Wonderful. Then what exactly do *you* propose be done to fix anything, ever? If we can't faulty the players, or Ozzie, where exactly do we look to improve? Jesus ****ing Christ.

Just let Russ skip through his dandelion field gracefully.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Just let Russ skip through his dandelion field gracefully.

He never has any answer, so I guess the skipping is going great.

russ99
05-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Wonderful. Then what exactly do *you* propose be done to fix anything, ever? If we can't fault the players, or Ozzie, where exactly do we look to improve? Jesus ****ing Christ.

That's not the point, and I have zero problem with people legitimately finding fault with how things are going or how a player is performing.

But it seems that there needs to always be a fan scapegoat (especially on this board) and they're always the same type of non-slugger:

2006: Mackowiak/Erstad or Anderson depending on which side of the debate you were on.
2007: Owens
2008: Pods
2009: Wise
2010: Kotsay
2011: Pierre

Throughout all those years to some extent, Ozzie. I can even understand that, since griping about the manager will always be there.

BTW - I've been on the "Fire Walker" bandwagon for at least 3 years now. I'm not saying it would solve all our problems, but a new hitting approach can't hurt. (ahem, big hurt)

Maybe I should start a "Dunn was a awful signing" thread to even things out...

JB98
05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
That's not the point, and I have zero problem with people legitimately finding fault with how things are going.

But it seems that there needs to always be a fan scapegoat (especially on this board) and they're always the same type of non-slugger:

2006: Mackowiak

BTW - I've been on the "Fire Walker" bandwagon for at least 3 years now. I'm not saying it would solve all our problems, but a new hitting approach can't hurt. (ahem, big hurt)

Pods wasn't on the ballclub in 2008.

russ99
05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Pods wasn't on the ballclub in 2008.

Whoops - reverse that. Owens hating was 2008, Pods hating was 2007.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:08 PM

2006: Mackowiak/Erstad or Anderson depending on which side of the debate you were on.

Well, to the defense of the "scapegoat" crowd, those players all suck and no one will shed a tear when the 2011 name is also gone. So if the "scapegoaters" end up correct, anyway, what's your point? That they didn't pick the guys you want them to? Swisher was pretty reviled. Thome, who did nothing but do his job here, was the subject of thousands of posts about baseclogging.

Methinks you are remembering selectively.

fox23
05-17-2011, 01:10 PM
That's not the point, and I have zero problem with people legitimately finding fault with how things are going or how a player is performing.

Throughout all those years to some extent, Ozzie. I can even understand that, since griping about the manager will always be there.

Maybe I should start a "Dunn was a awful signing" thread to even things out...

Actually it has been more of a Teahen public execution this year, at least until Morel didn't turn out like some people thought he would at this point.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Actually it has been more of a Teahen public execution this year, at least until Morel didn't turn out like some people thought he would at this point.

And in limited time, Teahen has done well enough to have the spotlight (or shadow, as it were) taken off him. Pierre? Not so much. I fact, the small group that was of the "Dump Pierre and play de Aza" crowd before the season even started was pretty much laughed at. Pierre wasn't treated like crap until he played like it. And this isn't some borderline question - he is one of the worst overall starters in all of baseball.

So, yeah, russ, sorry all those guys are "scapegoats," but THEY ALL SUCK(ED).

fox23
05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
And in limited time, Teahen has done well enough to have the spotlight (or shadow, as it were) taken off him. Pierre? Not so much. I fact, the small group that was of the "Dump Pierre and play de Aza" crowd before the season even started was pretty much laughed at. Pierre wasn't treated like crap until he played like it. And this isn't some borderline question - he is one of the worst overall starters in all of baseball.

So, yeah, russ, sorry all those guys are "scapegoats," but THEY ALL SUCK(ED).

Yeah, Pierre has been pretty terrible too. I was more commenting on the fact that while people don't like Pierre around here, a lot of people acted like Teahen beat up their dog and grandmother, laughing all the while.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 01:55 PM
This has been discussed repeatedly. The warm weather/dome teams don't want all their home games front-loaded in April when the kids are still in school either. They want their fair share of games in the summer time when people are more likely to head out to the game.

Spreading interleague play throughout the season would spread out the games played in "warm/dome" cities.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Well, to the defense of the "scapegoat" crowd, those players all suck and no one will shed a tear when the 2011 name is also gone. So if the "scapegoaters" end up correct, anyway, what's your point? That they didn't pick the guys you want them to? Swisher was pretty reviled. Thome, who did nothing but do his job here, was the subject of thousands of posts about baseclogging.

Methinks you are remembering selectively.

I agree.

I remember making dozens (hundreds?) of posts "scapegoating" Paulie during those seasons that he sucked. But now he's performing quite well, so there's no need to "scapegoat" him.

What some are calling "scapegoating" is actually just criticizing those players who are playing like crap.

Frater Perdurabo
05-17-2011, 02:00 PM
I had wanted the Sox to get Pierre ever since 2003. I was pleased when the Sox acquired him, and he had a pretty solid year in 2010. But he's TERRIBLE this year, and thus completely deserves every bit of scorn he's receiving, if not more.

kittle42
05-17-2011, 02:06 PM
I remember making dozens (hundreds?) of posts "scapegoating" Paulie during those seasons that he sucked. But now he's performing quite well, so there's no need to "scapegoat" him.

What some are calling "scapegoating" is actually just criticizing those players who are playing like crap.

I had wanted the Sox to get Pierre ever since 2003. I was pleased when the Sox acquired him, and he had a pretty solid year in 2010. But he's TERRIBLE this year, and thus completely deserves every bit of scorn he's receiving, if not more.

THANK YOU, Frater.