PDA

View Full Version : John Danks

JermaineDye05
05-15-2011, 03:03 PM
A lot of people have been bringing up his name in game and postgame threads as someone they'd like to see traded this season given his FA status and the fact that he'd more than likely get us the most in terms of prospects.

What are some potential teams you could see him going to?

AND

What would you like to see the Sox get back for him?

I do recall the Yankees were asking about him in the Winter Meetings, but KW promptly said no. I imagine he's beginning to reconsider right about now. My concern with making a deal with the Yankees is that the last time we did that, we ended up with Jeff Marquez. Then again, that was for Nick Swisher who was coming off a horrible season.

I'm also hesitant to trade John because I believe he will be a FA after this season unless I'm mistaken. If that's the case, the packages that teams would be willing to offer will be significantly less than if they were guaranteed to have control over him for at least another year.

KMcMahon817
05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
I'm also hesitant to trade John because I believe he will be a FA after this season unless I'm mistaken. If that's the case, the packages that teams would be willing to offer will be significantly less than if they were guaranteed to have control over him for at least another year.

Danks is signed through the 2012 season.

I wouldn't even consider trading Danks unless the SOX are 10 or more out at the beginning of July.

billyvsox
05-15-2011, 07:08 PM
A lot of people have been bringing up his name in game and postgame threads as someone they'd like to see traded this season given his FA status and the fact that he'd more than likely get us the most in terms of prospects.

What are some potential teams you could see him going to?

AND

What would you like to see the Sox get back for him?

I do recall the Yankees were asking about him in the Winter Meetings, but KW promptly said no. I imagine he's beginning to reconsider right about now. My concern with making a deal with the Yankees is that the last time we did that, we ended up with Jeff Marquez. Then again, that was for Nick Swisher who was coming off a horrible season.

The Yankees have 2 or 3 stud catchers (alledgidly) just about ready to go in the bigs. I would be up for that as a replacement for AJ

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
It's hard to believe this is his fifth season with the White Sox.

Saying that, while he has not been great, he has been snake-bitten and still has his good stuff.

If the team is out of the race in late June/ early July, I would trade him, as I do not see him staying past 2012 anyway.

Domeshot17
05-15-2011, 07:54 PM
No reason to trade him. Let Buehrle and Jackson walk after the season and sign Danks to a fair deal.

TheOldRoman
05-15-2011, 08:06 PM
No reason to trade him. Let Buehrle and Jackson walk after the season and sign Danks to a fair deal.Danks was never going to go for a fair deal to begin with. The Sox offered him deals buying out arbitration and then longer term, and he passed them up. He passed up the sure money (Floyd got $16 mil) knowing he would make that in his last two years of arbitration alone if he stayed healthy. If Danks didn't take a "good for him and the team" deal when he was making $400,000 a year, he wouldn't take it now. He has intended all along to test free agency. Even though he has continually failed to take the "next step", he will get at least five years and well over $100 million.

Domeshot17
05-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Danks was never going to go for a fair deal to begin with. The Sox offered him deals buying out arbitration and then longer term, and he passed them up. He passed up the sure money (Floyd got $16 mil) knowing he would make that in his last two years of arbitration alone if he stayed healthy. If Danks didn't take a "good for him and the team" deal when he was making $400,000 a year, he wouldn't take it now. He has intended all along to test free agency. Even though he has continually failed to take the "next step", he will get at least five years and well over $100 million.

Danks deserved better than the Floyd deal. I would easily give him 5 years 75 mil total total (he won't give 20 mil per). I also don't blame him for not being excited to stay. The guy has gotten no support offensively or defensively since he stepped foot in Chicago. It has to be frustrating for him.

Tragg
05-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Danks did deserve more than the Floyd deal; but so did Quentin, yet, as things turned out, Quentin should have taken the Floyd deal.

The Dude
05-15-2011, 10:02 PM
No

DirtySox
05-15-2011, 10:09 PM
The Yankees have 2 or 3 stud catchers (alledgidly) just about ready to go in the bigs. I would be up for that as a replacement for AJ

They have one stud catcher. Jesus Montero. He can flat out hit. The catching aspect still has tons of question marks though. Another hyped Yankees catching prospect is Gary Sanchez, who is far far away and has looked awful this year. The tools are there though. Any discussions with the Yankees are going to be about Montero, Banuelos, or Betances.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Danks was never going to go for a fair deal to begin with. The Sox offered him deals buying out arbitration and then longer term, and he passed them up. He passed up the sure money (Floyd got $16 mil) knowing he would make that in his last two years of arbitration alone if he stayed healthy. If Danks didn't take a "good for him and the team" deal when he was making $400,000 a year, he wouldn't take it now. He has intended all along to test free agency. Even though he has continually failed to take the "next step", he will get at least five years and well over $100 million.

I agree. I don't think he hates playing here, but Danks will go through FA. With Boras leading the way, DET, TEX, and NYY will be all over him.

On that note, honestly, I predict John Danks will be with TEX for the start of the 2013 season.

doublem23
05-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I agree. I don't think he hates playing here, but Danks will go through FA. With Boras leading the way, DET, TEX, and NYY will be all over him.

On that note, honestly, I predict John Danks will be with TEX for the start of the 2013 season.

Boras doesn't represent Danks any more. Hasn't for a few years.

soxinem1
05-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Boras doesn't represent Danks any more. Hasn't for a few years.

Didn't know that. The way he responded to the contract extension sure made it sound like he was. :cool:

Saying that, I still predict he will be with TEX for 2013.

Brian26
05-15-2011, 11:08 PM
He has intended all along to test free agency. Even though he has continually failed to take the "next step", he will get at least five years and well over $100 million.

Five years at $20 million/year is just obscene. I don't think he's worth $15 million/year either. Danks throws way too many pitches and can't pitch over his mistakes.

spongyfungy
05-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Five years at $20 million/year is just obscene. I don't think he's worth $15 million/year either. Danks throws way too many pitches and can't pitch over his mistakes.

Yeah, that's Roy Halladay money (3 yr 60 mil) and 2 years shorter. Danks will get the big contract but I don't think the Sox should pay him this kind of money.

Kenny will probably re-sign him in 10 years anyway. He'll still have value and he's shown to be extremely durable

Gavin
05-16-2011, 12:57 AM
Yankees.

Prospects.

Hartman
05-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Danks is exactly the mold of a pitcher that the Yankees look for.

TheOldRoman
05-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Five years at $20 million/year is just obscene. I don't think he's worth $15 million/year either. Danks throws way too many pitches and can't pitch over his mistakes.He is a young lefty with ace potential and no history of being on the DL. Look at the money oft-injured rubbish like AJ Burnett got. I agree that I wouldn't want my team to sign Danks for 7 yr/120mil (unless I was a fan of the Yankees), but someone is going to be dumb enough to throw around that money. I agree that Texas is the most likely candidate considering their windfall TV deal.