PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pierre Still an Elite Base Runner?

jwmann2
05-15-2011, 01:13 PM
I live in Cincinnati and do not get to see the Sox on television with any regularity. Pierre has only six stolen bases this season. At age 33, is he still running the bases with the same speed and agility as he was with the Marlins? Personally, I hate seeing great players age and losing the tangibles that once made them great, take Derek Jeter for example.

JermaineDye05
05-15-2011, 01:37 PM
At this point, I think he's a pinchrunner.

However, I believe he's been caught stealing a lot this year.

DumpJerry
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
In the games I've been to where he's been caught stealing, he's been a bone head. At least two times he got caught in a run down when the pitcher made a pick off attempt and he responded by breaking for Second.

Noneck
05-15-2011, 01:41 PM
At age 33, is he still running the bases with the same speed and agility as he was with the Marlins?

6 for 14 in SB. 4 Pick offs. What do you think?

WhiteSox5187
05-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I think Pierre is done being an effective major league baseball player. Maybe he can pinch run occasionally, but that's a big maybe.

A. Cavatica
05-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Pierre needs to go to a team that doesn't need a left fielder who can hit, field, or run the bases. Somewhere that just being "grindy" will see him through. Somewhere that loyalty trumps performance.

Frater Perdurabo
05-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Somewhere that loyalty trumps performance.

Like the Chicago White Sox?

DumpJerry
05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Just picked off again. :angry:

sox1970
05-15-2011, 03:15 PM
His career with the Sox should be over. I know they're paying him 5 mil this year, but a quarter of the season is over. That leaves 3.75, and they wasted that alone on Manny Ramirez last year. Cut your losses.

Gavin
05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
There should be a standing thread for ineptitude for every player except PK, TCQ, and Santos. Hell, there might as well be a standing thread for them too for when they **** up for an extended period of time.

tstrike2000
05-15-2011, 03:22 PM
I heard Pods is available.

A. Cavatica
05-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Like the Chicago White Sox?

No, no, the White Sox are all about results.

Daver
05-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Was he ever an elite baserunner?

rdwj
05-15-2011, 04:37 PM
He's an elite GDPer

soxfanreggie
05-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Was he ever an elite baserunner?

No. He has been good, but he gets caught way too much.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierrju01.shtml

He has been very durable over his career though, but he's definitely on the downside. Give him some credit for his near 1:1 BB:K ratio.

Frankfan4life
05-15-2011, 07:18 PM
There should be a standing thread for ineptitude for every player except PK, TCQ, and Santos. Hell, there might as well be a standing thread for them too for when they **** up for an extended period of time.Thank you for the voice of reason. :clap:

soltrain21
05-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the voice of reason. :clap:

How is he being a voice of reason? Juan Pierre isn't good.

Tragg
05-15-2011, 08:00 PM
At his best Pierre isn't much, he's aging, and he's in decline. We aren't going to dump Morel or Beckham. And at least they and Rios and TCM handle their duties in the field...Pierre doesn't do that.
And with Guillen and his love of bad veterans with good attitudes, we're likely stuck with Pierre too.

Soxfest
05-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Ozzie after game today.

“One thing about Juan.” Guillen said. “You’re going to see the same (effort Monday night). He’s going to go out and play the game, play the game right. When you play every day, you’re going to go through tough times.

“He’ll be there batting first again. I don’t worry about him because he’s a professional. He will battle. That’s not the first time he’s been through it. He’ll find a way.”

Pierre has four hits in his past 29 at-bats, and his batting average has dipped from .266 to .242.

Guillen is nuts.:angry:

A. Cavatica
05-15-2011, 08:34 PM
“He’ll be there batting first again. I don’t worry about him because he’s a professional. He will battle. That’s not the first time he’s been through it. He’ll find a way.”

Good to know Pierre is being held to the same standard of accountability as Ozzie himself is held.

:fireozzie

sox1970
05-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Ozzie after game today.

“One thing about Juan.” Guillen said. “You’re going to see the same (effort Monday night). He’s going to go out and play the game, play the game right. When you play every day, you’re going to go through tough times.

Pierre has four hits in his past 29 at-bats, and his batting average has dipped from .266 to .242.

That's pretty weak. He should at least sit tomorrow night, because unfortunately for Pierre, he's probably going to hear it from the Monday night fans.

A. Cavatica
05-15-2011, 09:35 PM
And now this quote from Ozzie, on Viciedo:

"You look around and where am I going to play him?" Guillen said Sunday. "He's got to play every day."

Ozzie, get your head out of your ass.

sox1970
05-15-2011, 09:39 PM
And now this quote from Ozzie, on Viciedo:

"You look around and where am I going to play him?" Guillen said Sunday. "He's got to play every day."

Ozzie, get your head out of your ass.

Just saw that too. Somebody needs to explain to Ozzie how bad Pierre is. He's just done. It isn't a slump. He can't play baseball.

russ99
05-15-2011, 10:41 PM
That's pretty weak. He should at least sit tomorrow night, because unfortunately for Pierre, he's probably going to hear it from the Monday night fans.

Then Dunn and Rios should also, and let's also look at Beckham and Morel.

So tired of this garbage of singling out a struggling player as useless.

doublem23
05-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Then Dunn and Rios should also. So tired of this garbage of singling out a struggling player as useless.

Uh, Dunn and Rios have been hearing it from the fans at home. So tired of this garbage of pretending everything and everyone is fine when there are clear signs they are not.

Tragg
05-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Ozzie after game today.

Translation off Ozzie-speak: Pierre has the attitude he likes, and to Oz, that means ton and often trumps skill.
The reality is that Pierre has not played the game "The right way" this season, as his copious mental errors attest.

spongyfungy
05-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Rick Hahn made it known that Juan Pierre was a total coaches pick and doesn't want to be associated with that pickup. This was on that reality TV show "The Club." If Ozzie's gone, Juan would be as well.

However Juan has a knack for having killer months when he's spraying the ball all over the field. His July and August numbers last year were good enough. (.300/.386/.340 and .354/.407/.425 respectively)

doublem23
05-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Rick Hahn made it known that Juan Pierre was a total coaches pick and doesn't want to be associated with that pickup. This was on that reality TV show "The Club." If Ozzie's gone, Juan would be as well.

I would hope that Juan will be gone after this year no matter what. He looks like he's 33 going on 64.

Gavin
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Juan pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

spongyfungy
05-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I would hope that Juan will be gone after this year no matter what. He looks like he's 33 going on 64.

i want him out of the lineup now. he seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder. I base that on nothing

Gavin
05-15-2011, 11:39 PM
i want him out of the lineup now. he seems to play better with a chip on his shoulder. I base that on nothing

I think we should keep on singling out a player because he's not stealing bases. That's his job, you know.

Say, what's Alex Rios / Gordon Beckham / AJ Pierzinski / 3/5ths of the Pitching Stafff up to?

spongyfungy
05-16-2011, 12:31 AM
I think we should keep on singling out a player because he's not stealing bases. That's his job, you know.

Say, what's Alex Rios / Gordon Beckham / AJ Pierzinski / 3/5ths of the Pitching Stafff up to?

It's okay to make a thread about each of them. I'm just arguing that since Pierre is the leadoff hitter and he has a 181 total plate appearances, tied for 2nd most in the MLB behind Howie Kendrick at 182, it just compounds the problem of how unproductive a hitter he is. And when he does get on base, he can showcase his baserunning skills, with that league leading 8 caught stealing.

At the risk of sounding like Bernstein, Pierre is the worst player in baseball according to WAR and it's not even close. (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0)

kittle42
05-16-2011, 09:46 AM
It's okay to make a thread about each of them. I'm just arguing that since Pierre is the leadoff hitter and he has a 181 total plate appearances, tied for 2nd most in the MLB behind Howie Kendrick at 182, it just compounds the problem of how unproductive a hitter he is. And when he does get on base, he can showcase his baserunning skills, with that league leading 8 caught stealing.

At the risk of sounding like Bernstein, Pierre is the worst player in baseball according to WAR and it's not even close. (http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2011&month=0&season1=2011&ind=0)

Correct. Bat him 9th and I'd have less of a problem. But we already have 3 other No. 9 hitters, so it's kind of hard to do that.