PDA

View Full Version : I got a letter from Bud Selig

Fenway
05-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I discovered a few years ago that if your write Bud in Milwaukee, he WILL answer and it is not a form letter.

I had a television proposal for him concerning the blackouts and he said "My idea has some merit.."

2 other things I asked him, one of which he answered.

I point blank asked him why 'Joe Jackson' is still banned when the order from Landis specifically said 'LIFETIME'. I am of the belief the ban ended when Jackson died some 50 years ago. I had promised the curator of the Jackson Museum in Greenville, SC that I would ask Bud.

Bud's reply was doublespeak that Gary Bettman would be proud of. He said - That IF somebody applies in Jackson's behalf - he would take another look at it. The Joe Jackson Museum is now doing just that. Selig did say that the late Jerome Holtzman was convinced that Jackson was guilty but Joe still played well in the 1919 Series because instinct took over from the brain.

Curiously he did NOT address the other thing I asked him about.

Larry Doby has never gotten the credit he deserves for being the first black player in the American League. He faced the same garbage that Robinson did, and perhaps more because not only like Robinson did he have to go to St. Louis, but also Washington, DC ( which in the 40's was really a southern town )

Selig chose to ignore that question. :scratch:

If you write Bud at this address - you will get a reply within a week.

Baseball Commissioner Office

777 E Wisconsin Ave # 3060
Milwaukee, WI 53202-5302
(414) 225-8900

Brian26
05-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Didn't you call him once, and he actually picked up the phone?

Fenway
05-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Didn't you call him once, and he actually picked up the phone?

Yes indeed.

He did say he is working to get Buck O'Neill into Cooperstown - what happened never should have.

ewokpelts
05-15-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes indeed.

He did say he is working to get Buck O'Neill into Cooperstown - what happened never should have.agreed. the man fought to get so many negro leaguers in before he even thought to campaign for himself.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
agreed. the man fought to get so many negro leaguers in before he even thought to campaign for himself.

If nothing else - we have to thank Ken Burns for Buck becoming as well known at the end of his life.

SI1020
05-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Fenway regarding Doby, I wouldn't doubt that he had to take some awful vitriol, just like Robinson did. It also appears that his struggles in that regard are nowhere near as well documented and recognized. All of baseball's history, the good, bad and ugly needs to be accounted for. I would only add that geography played a small part in regards to the venom directed at the game's first black players in the modern era. I have read accounts that claimed Robinson was subjected to some of the worst bench jockeying by the Philadelphia and Chicago NL teams.

Fenway
05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Fenway regarding Doby, I wouldn't doubt that he had to take some awful vitriol, just like Robinson did. It also appears that his struggles in that regard are nowhere near as well documented and recognized. All of baseball's history, the good, bad and ugly needs to be accounted for. I would only add that geography played a small part in regards to the venom directed at the game's first black players in the modern era. I have read accounts that claimed Robinson was subjected to some of the worst bench jockeying by the Philadelphia and Chicago NL teams.

Robinson was followed by a zillion NY papers - Doby was in Cleveland

Years ago I had a chat with Dave Anderson who covered the Dodgers for the Brooklyn Eagle. He said Robinson brought out large crowds of adoring blacks in every city except one - Boston.

GoSox2K3
05-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Curiously he did NOT address the other thing I asked him about.

Larry Doby has never gotten the credit he deserves for being the first black player in the American League. He faced the same garbage that Robinson did, and perhaps more because not only like Robinson did he have to go to St. Louis, but also Washington, DC ( which in the 40's was really a southern town )

Selig chose to ignore that question. :scratch:

Maybe it's because Bud wants to water down any distinction between the AL and the NL as much as possible.

His dream is to get rid of the two leagues altogether and align MLB into generic East and West conferences, right?

downstairs
05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree somewhat with the Larry Doby sentiment, because he was the first black AL player... but remember *all* black players received bad treatment for decades.

We honor them now with the negro league throwback games, etc.

ode to veeck
05-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Ditto for Minnie Minoso both on being one of the very 1st black players, as well as more than deserving for the HOF, his numbers and leadership performances across the Negro Leagues, MLB, Cuban, and Mexican leagues are unparalelled.

white sox bill
05-19-2011, 08:09 AM
:tool
Fens I got a 78 Buick that a little old lady drove only on Sundays to church...wanna take it for a spin??

Oblong
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I always understood Jackson's banning, along with Rose, to say "Permanent Explusion". Not lifetime. Obviously I could be wrong on what Landis himself said. I just thought the list was "Permanent ineligible".

Joe Posnanksi wrote some great things about Buck, especially when Roland Hemond was the first recipient of the award named after him. Said it was absolutely fitting that it went to a baseball lifer. Hemond wept when told about it.