PDA

View Full Version : Randar

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 11:51 AM
Was thinking about this last night and wanted to get your take on it.

We both know Lee has the talent to hit .300, but under Ward I don't see it happening. Do you think the Sox would let Hriniak work with him?

Randar68
07-08-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Was thinking about this last night and wanted to get your take on it.

We both know Lee has the talent to hit .300, but under Ward I don't see it happening. Do you think the Sox would let Hriniak work with him?

No, I highly doubt it. Really, what everyone in this clubhouse needs is a new Manager, and all the coaches below them. Von Joshua needs to come back.

The Sox can't really do anything if a player goes off in the offseason and seeks out help from outside the organization a la pre-2000 Frank. However, Carlos and Walt don't have a previous relationship, and initiating such would be really subversive to Gary.

I have started to see signs from Carlos the last 3 weeks. He's been getting walks and hitting that outside pitch the other way more frequently. This is something he did REGULARLY during his first year and a half. I'm not sure why he got away from it. He has good bat control and pretty soft hands at the plate IMO, and when he decides he wants to, he can put the ball in play to the right side whenever he wants. Once he starts doing this, he's going to see better inside pitches to hit. Early in the year, he was getting low and inside and WAY away pitches and chasing everything. It's not a coincidence that since he's started working the count more and going the other way, that his power numbers have also improved.

I don't think Carlos has opposite field power like Frank used to have or like Maggs does now, but if he can get 5 more hits a month by putting that ball into play to the right side, he's going to see much better pitches to drive.

Randar68
07-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Also, forgot to add. With Carlos' current approach and swing, I think Hriniak would be the perfect coach for him. He can break down his swing and has seemed to be very good about instilling a solid plate discipline that Carlos sorely needs, even in stubborn players...LOL

Jerry_Manuel
07-08-2002, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the knowledge, Randar. Always good to hear your thoughts.

LongDistanceFan
07-08-2002, 12:04 PM
another good insight

duke of dorwood
07-08-2002, 12:50 PM
While we are at it, I hear so many comments about Crede "shortening his swing" before he comes up. Is this just BS? the numbers he put up dont lie. Are they doing this with every hitter they get? Would appreciate your thoughts on this process.

Randar68
07-08-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
While we are at it, I hear so many comments about Crede "shortening his swing" before he comes up. Is this just BS? the numbers he put up dont lie. Are they doing this with every hitter they get? Would appreciate your thoughts on this process.

Most young player need to do something to make the time between the decision to swing and the bat crossing the plate shorter. This gives the hitter more time for pitch recognition and to make the decision to swing or not. It helps greatly to cut down K's and increase walks as well as just about everything else that makes one a successful hitter.

Crede definitely had a long swing when we saw him the past couple call ups. He has cut it down to some degree and it has helped him.

Shortening the swing can mean anything from actually shortening the path of the end of the bat (increases bat speed throught hitting zone) to shortening a hitter's stride to improve balance or reaction time.

The longer a hitter can wait to commit to swing, the better they will be.

duke of dorwood
07-08-2002, 01:13 PM
Thank you, top notch info, as usual.

pudge
07-08-2002, 02:27 PM
Randar, when's your instructional video coming out? ;)

Randar68
07-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Randar, when's your instructional video coming out? ;)

Maybe I can get the Crime Pup to read something barely intelligible from a queue card.

Daver
07-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Maybe I can get the Crime Pup to read something barely intelligible from a queue card.

Make sure he is wearing that el-cheapo plain blue baseball hat when he does it.......