PDA

View Full Version : Garage Sale Saturday May 14

palehosepub
05-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Didnt see any postings about yesterdays garage sale / Field Day, I wanted to hear what others thought. I havent been to one in a few years. The line grew quite long by 9am. Pricing on game used items seem to be more realistic than a few years ago- the minor player's game jerseys were frequently just $40. I picked up a gray road Flowers from last year for $40. Picked up a few Jackie Robinson Day jerseys (from the April game this year) that most people seemed to ignore because they dont have a name on back and are all numbered #42, But the tagging had the player number on them so I picked up a a few of them. Lots of the more popular names were availabale in the JR jerseys incl Ozzie, Harold, Quentin, Sale, Alexi Beckham etc.

Buerhle jerseys were $750 will PK jerseys went for $500 - seems out of whack.

Bobbleheads were $5 or $10 (Frank Thomas)

ewokpelts
05-15-2011, 11:43 AM
damm! i forgot about it yesterday!

$10 frank bobbleheads is a steal, considering that they were $40 at soxfest.

jwmann2
05-15-2011, 01:15 PM
All MLB franchises should have days like these for fans, with the exception of perhaps the Yankees.

MeteorsSox4367
05-15-2011, 02:28 PM
The Frank Thomas bobbleheads were $10 apiece and were selling very well. People were grabbing 'em up two at a time. I managed to get one.

I also bought one of the mystery bags for $20. The best item in there was the Nancy Faust bobblehead.

Found a Sox Fourth of July cap for $10 and a Mike MacDougal nameplate for $5. They also had the usual media guides for $1 apiece, but nothing from last season as far as other teams are concerned.

I was there around noon and it was pretty crowded. The jerseys were cool but some were too expensive for my affordability.

ewokpelts
05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
The Frank Thomas bobbleheads were $10 apiece and were selling very well. People were grabbing 'em up two at a time. I managed to get one.

I also bought one of the mystery bags for $20. The best item in there was the Nancy Faust bobblehead.

Found a Sox Fourth of July cap for $10 and a Mike MacDougal nameplate for $5. They also had the usual media guides for $1 apiece, but nothing from last season as far as other teams are concerned.

I was there around noon and it was pretty crowded. The jerseys were cool but some were too expensive for my affordability.the media guides get wiped out pretty quick

BainesHOF
05-15-2011, 11:48 PM
I went for the upteenth time and didn't buy much -- a Fourth of July Alexei Ramirez cap, a Frank bobblehead and some old programs.

The prices for items of non-descript players were relatively cheap and fair, but the stuff for name players continues to be too high. Bats of Konerko and Vizquel were selling for $500 apiece. They're worth about half that. Jerseys of the better players were too expensive by about double, too.

Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, it's pretty clear much of the good stuff is being cherry picked behind the scenes before the sale is open to the public.

palehosepub
05-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I went for the upteenth time and didn't buy much -- a Fourth of July Alexei Ramirez cap, a Frank bobblehead and some old programs.

The prices for items of non-descript players were relatively cheap and fair, but the stuff for name players continues to be too high. Bats of Konerko and Vizquel were selling for $500 apiece. They're worth about half that. Jerseys of the better players were too expensive by about double, too.

Unfortunately, in the last couple of years, it's pretty clear much of the good stuff is being cherry picked behind the scenes before the sale is open to the public.

I agree I was in there right at 9am and there was a women at a big folding table folding and bagging jerseys that appeared to have been sold in one big lot before the sale opened to the public

ewokpelts
05-16-2011, 08:08 AM
It wouldnt suprise me if some staffers are buying stuff to flip.

BainesHOF
05-16-2011, 07:02 PM
The thing that really aggravates me is I wait for hours to be among the first people in line to have a crack at some of the good stuff, only to see scammers be allowed to scoop it up right in front of my eyes before the sale is opened to the public. Hey, I know it pays to have connections. I don't mind if team employees are allowed to buy some stuff early behind the scenes. That's life. But some of these clowns being allowed in the sale early are black-market scumbags who are cleaning out the good stuff to flip. They do nothing for the team except take advantage of their connection.

Chez
05-17-2011, 08:15 AM
The thing that really aggravates me is I wait for hours to be among the first people in line to have a crack at some of the good stuff, only to see scammers be allowed to scoop it up right in front of my eyes before the sale is opened to the public. Hey, I know it pays to have connections. I don't mind if team employees are allowed to buy some stuff early behind the scenes. That's life. But some of these clowns being allowed in the sale early are black-market scumbags who are cleaning out the good stuff to flip. They do nothing for the team except take advantage of their connection.

Sounds disappointing and aggravating but all proceeds benefit White Sox Charities, right? Perspective?

BainesHOF
05-17-2011, 03:49 PM
That's what makes it worse. Flippers are using the Sox charity event to make money for themselves, and some Sox employees are allowing them to do it.

palehosepub
05-18-2011, 09:12 AM
That's what makes it worse. Flippers are using the Sox charity event to make money for themselves, and some Sox employees are allowing them to do it.

I agree the ultimate goal is charity but there should be an "even playing field" for all buyers. The dealers should do the time in line like the rest of the fans and collectors who had to stand outside on a cold windy mrning.

lizard6king6
05-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Almost bought the ultimate fan Sox recliner for $500 marked down from $1000. Wife convinced me otherwise :( Also saw a lot of cool game used jerseys but were too expensive for bigger name players. Lot of Contreras Auto hats for $40 which I thought wasnt that bad.

The Dude
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM

I was there around noon and it was pretty crowded. The jerseys were cool but some were too expensive for my affordability.

:bundy
Hopefully this is a gag gift??

MeteorsSox4367
05-20-2011, 01:10 AM
:bundy
Hopefully this is a gag gift??

Yeah, for me.:D:

MacDougal used to tick me off when he pitched and couldn't find the strike zone.

For $5, I figured why not.