PDA

View Full Version : Jorge Posada is a child

MUsoxfan
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Pulls himself out of the lineup after being placed in the 9 slot. Needs "time to clear his head". *******

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-15-2011, 03:08 AM
If this whole story is true, how embarrassing. He's clearly at the end of his career, you'd think he'd go out with some class. Don't pull yourself out of the lineup, just retire.

Sidenote: I just dropped him from my fantasy team. Not entirely based on this event though. He's been horrid, and I'm happy with Buck as my catcher. I sick of waiting to see if he's ever going to come out of this slump, and not willing to deal with this whole fiasco.

ewokpelts
05-15-2011, 04:25 AM
his wife tweeted" back stiffness" was the culprit.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 09:27 AM
If this whole story is true, how embarrassing. He's clearly at the end of his career, you'd think he'd go out with some class. Don't pull yourself out of the lineup, just retire.

It's true

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2011/05/15/gal_backpage_0515.jpg

Mike Lupica unloads

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2011/05/15/2011-05-15_yankees_jorge_posada_is_now_an_easy_target_but_ asking_out_cant_change_his_legacy.html

The Yankees are in trouble - Tampa has been playing great for a month now and Boston is only 4 behind.

VenturaFan23
05-15-2011, 10:35 AM
The Yankees are in trouble - Tampa has been playing great for a month now and Boston is only 4 behind.

And it's only a matter of time before their miraculous pitching comes back down to earth too.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
And it's only a matter of time before their miraculous pitching comes back down to earth too.

Perhaps...

Joe Maddon may well be the best manager in baseball....and his players go all out for him. They have been on fire since Manny quit.

NLaloosh
05-15-2011, 10:49 AM
The Yankees are just getting caught now by all those long term enormous contracts they've given out to keep these stars as Yankees for their careers.

That's the price they paid for these becoming Yankees in the first place or staying an leading the team to those World Series. It's the other side of the coin.

Don't worry the Bankees have enough money to cover it up. They will continue to overpay these aging former stars well past their primes and will also have many international signings and overpay draft picks and cherry pick the prime talent from other teams that can't afford to keep them.

That's what the Bankees do. They're payroll is 5 times that of the team they're chasing - Tampa Bay.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Posters at WSI bitch about the Red Sox spending but believe it or not they do work with a budget and usually stay right around the tax number. Their payroll mirrors ticket revenue almost exactly.

Boston is #2 in TV revenue because of NESN but the Yankees via YES bring in FIVE times more $$$$$.

The Yankees are just getting caught now by all those long term enormous contracts they've given out to keep these stars as Yankees for their careers.

That's the price they paid for these becoming Yankees in the first place or staying an leading the team to those World Series. It's the other side of the coin.

Don't worry the Bankees have enough money to cover it up. They will continue to overpay these aging former stars well past their primes and will also have many international signings and overpay draft picks and cherry pick the prime talent from other teams that can't afford to keep them.

That's what the Bankees do. They're payroll is 5 times that of the team they're chasing - Tampa Bay.

wilburaga
05-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Incredibly stupid move by Posada. What does this say to the guys who usually bat 9th in the lineup? And with the team in a critical stretch of schedule?

What a sad way to close out what was close to a Hall of Fame career.

cards press box
05-15-2011, 11:33 AM
I think that the Yanks release Posada soon and will be on the hook for his salary this year. Will any team pick him up for the league minimum and, if so, who?

palehozenychicty
05-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Posada's had a good career. He was a decent defensive catcher and had a great stick which actually got better with age. But really, he always came off as aloof and smug. So I'm not too surprised at the behavior.

I think if they can win a few games, it'll go away.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/05/15/yankees_jorge_posada_designates_himself_a_sitter/

#1swisher
05-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Posada kind of apologizes to Girardi.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110515&content_id=19114916&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Lip Man 1
05-16-2011, 12:30 PM
Yankees apparently thought about immediately releasing Posada when he did what he did.

Now they are PO'd at Jeter because of his comments to the media defending Posada.

Lip

VMSNS
05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Now it's being reported that Posada wanted "to leave the team" when he found out he was batting 9th. It's also being said that Posada has always had a very tense relationship with Girardi, as well as Cashman.

asindc
05-17-2011, 08:03 AM
They really have a dilemma here. They just brought up Cervelli last year and they have Martin entrenched as the starter. While neither is Carlton Fisk in his prime, they are both much better than Posada at this point. I'm sure they prefer to have Posada occasionally DH and spot start at C while batting 9th for the remainder of the year, but he is playing on a Juan Pierre/Alexi Casilla level at this point. Yet, there might be a minor uproar from the fans if they release him mid-season. As a previous poster said, this is the price they are paying for legacy. Speaking of which, what to do with Jeter...

StillMissOzzie
05-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Posada is batting 40 points under the Mendoza line, is "earning" $13.1M (per Cot's) and wants to bitch about respect? How about some self-respect every payday? Posada ought to feel like he's stealing money.
Chooses to be a sitter? More like needs a baby sitter.

SMO
:gulp:

PeteWard
05-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Always resented how slow the games went when he caught.

PatK
05-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Posada is batting 40 points under the Mendoza line, is "earning" $13.1M (per Cot's) and wants to bitch about respect? How about some self-respect every payday? Posada ought to feel like he's stealing money.
Chooses to be a sitter? More like needs a baby sitter.

SMO
:gulp:

Posada should do what Ryne Sandberg did and acknowledge he's deserving to be paid what he is based on his performance and retire.