05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Tip your cap to Cy Ross

Zakath
05-14-2011, 06:01 PM
That was one of the 60.

Nothing to see here.

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
If you're making plans to travel out of the country in October, go ahead and book your flight. You won't be missing any White Sox baseball.

MarySwiss
05-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm just sorry Voodoo and Ode couldn't have seen a White Sox winner. :(:

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Too many automatic outs in the line up, still.

PalehosePlanet
05-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm just sorry Voodoo and Ode couldn't have seen a White Sox winner. :(:

Yeah, Voodoo was voodoo for the Sox.

Stay away Voodoo!! :D:

JB98
Too many automatic outs in the line up, still.

It would help if the baserunning weren't so atrocious. Ramirez killed a possible rally in the fourth.

LongLiveFisk
Well, I am still hopeful they can come back and win tomorrow. But man, that was some atrocious fundamental baseball out there. Alexei doesn't let the line drive go through and then Carlos airmails a ball hit to him when the runner at 3rd was not going to score. Very frustrating.

Dan H
Didn't get to see the game, but saw the line score with the Sox only getting 7 hits. The season is 40 games old; shouldn't they start hitting?

This has been a good road trip especially by West Coast standards. The frustrating thing is the Sox are still 8 under .500.

SoxSpeed22
05-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Just when you think they're starting to turn a corner, a game like this happens. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

veeter
05-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I guess it's a tip your cap game but Alexei's an idiot and Carlos' throw.... The Sox just continue to be fundamentally inept and baseball stupid. They are simply poorly managed and coached IMO.

Nelfox02
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
silly me, I thought with second and third no one out, and meat of the order up.......down just 2, Sox might make some noise, nope

they still have a chance to win the series......and if they do that gives them a 6-3 road trip, which normally is pretty good, but with the hole this team is in they need to good run (see Detroit) and with all the issues we have I dont think they are capable of reeling off 5 or more in a row.

aw well, just win tomorrow and get a third straight series.

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Rongey just said this was their exact same record at this time last year.

16-24.

veeter
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I also can't take Hawk's company line bull**** anymore. I feel sorry for everyone matched up with him in the booth.

Nelfox02
05-14-2011, 06:18 PM
I guess it's a tip your cap game but Alexei's an idiot and Carlos' throw.... The Sox just continue to be fundamentally inept and baseball stupid. They are simply poorly managed and coached IMO.

yes, and that is why I just cant see this season getting a heck of a lot better, this is just not that good of a team.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2011, 06:19 PM
Fisk:

True it is the same record and if you (not singling you out just anybody in general ) think the Sox are going to get off on a 26-5 stretch again, I've like to talk with you about buying some oceanfront property in Utah.

This was a "corpse-ball" game that we've seen time after time after time since 2004. Get shut down by a no-name pitcher, make stupid baserunning mistakes and leave guys on base in scoring position.

Ironic also that Ozzie in the wrap up story at the Tribune web site with Gonzo talks about how bad the Sox are at holding / throwing out base runners, saying "we've got to get better..."

Actually Ozzie you don't...and won't unless you take steps to combat it. I mean like extra practice for holding runners on, pick off moves, slide steps and so on.

Bitching about the problem won't change a damn thing. Working on the problem, threatening players and pitchers if they don't start to execute in these areas (among others) might.

Let's see what happens tomorrow. It would be nice to take a 3rd straight series

When you are behind the eight ball like the Sox are, there are no such things as off days or bad days. You can't afford them any longer.

Lip

Noneck
05-14-2011, 06:22 PM
I also can't take Hawk's company line bull**** anymore. I feel sorry for everyone matched up with him in the booth.

Since tomorrow is Paciorek last day in the booth, I would love for him to call bs every time Harrelson barks for the carnival.

Noneck
05-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Actually Ozzie you don't...and won't unless you take steps to combat it. I mean like extra practice for holding runners on, pick off moves, slide steps and so on.

This has been going on forever. I guess if a pitcher doesnt learn it in high school ball its too late.

Nelfox02
05-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Fisk:

True it is the same record and if you (not singling you out just anybody in general ) think the Sox are going to get off on a 26-5 stretch again, I've like to talk with you about buying some oceanfront property in Utah.

This was a "corpse-ball" game that we've seen time after time after time since 2004. Get shut down by a no-name pitcher, make stupid baserunning mistakes and leave guys on base in scoring position.

Ironic also that Ozzie in the wrap up story at the Tribune web site with Gonzo talks about how bad the Sox are at holding / throwing out base runners, saying "we've got to get better..."

Bitching about the problem won't change a damn thing. Working on the problem, threatening players and pitchers if they don't start to execute in these areas (among others) might.

When you are behind the eight ball like the Sox are, there are no such things as off days or bad days. You can't afford them any longer.

Lip

Bingo----but yet the Sox dont seem to realize it? I mean, this was not exactly a hardfought, 2-3 loss where the other team got that one extra hit that made the difference, this was just another poorly played game all the way around. Just a bad situation going on here.

JB98
05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Fisk:

Lip

Floyd was using a slide step today, and I actually thought it made things worse.

He was leaving every pitch he threw high while utilizing the slide step. Might as well junk that piece of **** move and just get the batter out.

veeter
05-14-2011, 06:36 PM
yes, and that is why I just cant see this season getting a heck of a lot better, this is just not that good of a team.Exact feeling watching these guys the last three years at least. It's time for changes.

Brian26
05-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Since tomorrow is Paciorek last day in the booth, I would love for him to call bs every time Harrelson barks for the carnival.

Paciorek's been all over print and radio this weekend basically begging for his job back with the Sox, so that's not going to happen.

I love listening to these guys, but Wimpy's perspective definitely needs some catching-up. He didn't know today when Sale was drafted. Yesterday he seemed a little naive to Beckham's struggles.

voodoochile
05-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Voodoo was voodoo for the Sox.

Stay away Voodoo!! :D:

I blame Ode and to a lesser extent TDog and even West. All of them started this curse long before I got to NoCal. I'm working my butt off to break their collective jinx, but man it's hard work for one fat deaf guy...

Sigh...

I only have one question about this game... What the **** was Alexei thinking? He was hovering well then the ball starts to dip and he breaks for the plate. Even if the 1B short hops it he's out at the plate by 6 feet because of the late break. As it was all he did was hand the A's an easy out of the inning... Ugh... Add in the three shots that all came down right at the 400 mark and man this just wasn't our day.

Typical for the Sox in recent years in Oakland...:whiner:

Good news, Ode and I will both be staying away tomorrow and we are leaving the return trip open to the chance of missing it too.

At least there were copious quantities of food...

Noneck
05-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Paciorek's been all over print and radio this weekend basically begging for his job back with the Sox, so that's not going to happen.

I know I read it and its kind of sad for a 65 year old guy to be begging for a job.

canOcorn
05-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I expect we'll be tipping our cap to Cahill tomorrow, although he might actually deserve it. :shrug:

ChiSoxGal85
05-14-2011, 07:39 PM
You can't win 'em all - but the Sox need to win most of them from here on out. Pretty lackluster day at the plate. Gavin was not sharp.

How about let's win tomorrow and NOT tip our cap to Cahill, boys... :cool:

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I expect we'll be tipping our cap to Cahill tomorrow, although he might actually deserve it. :shrug:

I don't know, I mean it's usually the unknown and/or crappy pitchers that give the Sox the most problems. Maybe they are better off this way!

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2011, 07:42 PM
I know I read it and its kind of sad for a 65 year old guy to be begging for a job.

I must have missed that, although I've only heard bits and pieces of their broadcasts so far.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Typical dead offense and lousy fundamentals. Additionally, this is the type of performance that characterizes Floyd's status as a completely mediocre run of the mill middle of rotation starter. His health, contract status and youth, however, make him a fairly valuable commodity. I hope KW is exploring the options for filling the 3B and/or LF holes via Floyd.

LongLiveFisk
05-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Winning tomorrow would help a lot but I know it's a tall order. Still, this has been a successful roadtrip, considering their past history on the west coast plus their struggles this season. It would be great to come home on a positive note, and having taken 2 of 3 from all three west coast teams.

Make it happen, boys. :praying:

TDog
05-14-2011, 09:34 PM
I blame Ode and to a lesser extent TDog and even West. All of them started this curse long before I got to NoCal. I'm working my butt off to break their collective jinx, but man it's hard work for one fat deaf guy...

Sigh...

Today's game was messed up from the start. I slept late in the Valley and didn't get a chance to meet up with you guys pregame, and you guys were running behind anyway. It was such a miserable day. But don't California curse on me. For about 20 years, I was driving to Anaheim to see the Sox and had at least two wins for every loss.

The Sox didn't lose today because of a curse or because the Sox can't hit or aren't a good team or because they are weak or gutless. They lost today because Floyd couldn't finish with his curveball. Even with what looked to be a pitcher's strike zone today, Floyd had problems consistently throwing breaking pitches for strikes.

Ross has pitched great all year. If you don't actually watch much baseball, you miss the fact that some people you may never have heard of are actually pretty good. Ross came into the game with an ERA under 3 and gave up 2 earned runs today in 7.1 innings. The Sox should have scored more, of course. Konerko hit the crap out of the ball with two strikes and two in scoring position when the Sox were only down by two, but unfortunately, he he it right at the first baseman. I don't know if Ramirez misread it, but losing today had less to do with coming up empty that inning than with the three additional runs the A's scored off Floyd. It Floyd had held the A's at 2, the Sox would have had a good chance of winning.

It's harder for me to be precise when I'm not watching a game with a laptop or following it online, but it appeared most of the hits Floyd allowed came with two strikes. He found his curveball after the second, from the windup. From the stretch, he didn't seem to have much of anything, certainly not on his curve. About half of his pitches seemed to be breaking balls, so he may have felt he didn't have command of his fastball.

You're not going to beat the A's if you allow them to score 6 runs, especially in Oakland (unless you're the Rangers and you tag Gio Gonzalez for a 7-run inning, but even then a storm blows in and wipes out all the records).

I see no reason for doom and gloom here, as personally as I take every loss in Oakland. The Sox are 5-3 on their West Coast trip, which ends tomorrow. They lost the first game to Felix Hernandez, and have gone 5-2 since. They aren't playing bad baseball. They have a chance to finish the West Coast swing at 6-3 Sunday, but they face a pitcher with an ERA under 2. Cahill is undefeated this year, thanks in large part to a fly ball that Juan Pierre dropped a fly ball in the ninth inning of a game where the Sox had Cahill beat.

JermaineDye05
05-14-2011, 10:05 PM
I don't want to say I'm necessarily wishing that someone gets fired just for the sake of doing something.

I do feel that this team will benefit from a change in management. Be it Ozzie or just someone from the coaching staff (i.e. Walker).

It's true that all teams go through slumps. However, it just seems like the White Sox have in recent seasons had the talent to get things done but always tend to slip into these prolonged slumps that just bury the team by the season's end, especially in the early months. At some point the coaching staff has to be held accountable.

Nelfox02
05-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't want to say I'm necessarily wishing that someone gets fired just for the sake of doing something.

I do feel that this team will benefit from a change in management. Be it Ozzie or just someone from the coaching staff (i.e. Walker).

It's true that all teams go through slumps. However, it just seems like the White Sox have in recent seasons had the talent to get things done but always tend to slip into these prolonged slumps that just bury the team by the season's end, especially in the early months. At some point the coaching staff has to be held accountable.

when you consider how often this team beats themselves......damn right

Brian26
05-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I must have missed that, although I've only heard bits and pieces of their broadcasts so far.

Interview with Rongey on the radio this morning, CSN print interview with Garfein, not-so-subtle hints on television the last two days.

voodoochile
05-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Today's game was messed up from the start. I slept late in the Valley and didn't get a chance to meet up with you guys pregame, and you guys were running behind anyway. It was such a miserable day. But don't California curse on me. For about 20 years, I was driving to Anaheim to see the Sox and had at least two wins for every loss.

The Sox didn't lose today because of a curse or because the Sox can't hit or aren't a good team or because they are weak or gutless. They lost today because Floyd couldn't finish with his curveball. Even with what looked to be a pitcher's strike zone today, Floyd had problems consistently throwing breaking pitches for strikes.

Ross has pitched great all year. If you don't actually watch much baseball, you miss the fact that some people you may never have heard of are actually pretty good. Ross came into the game with an ERA under 3 and gave up 2 earned runs today in 7.1 innings. The Sox should have scored more, of course. Konerko hit the crap out of the ball with two strikes and two in scoring position when the Sox were only down by two, but unfortunately, he he it right at the first baseman. I don't know if Ramirez misread it, but losing today had less to do with coming up empty that inning than with the three additional runs the A's scored off Floyd. It Floyd had held the A's at 2, the Sox would have had a good chance of winning.

It's harder for me to be precise when I'm not watching a game with a laptop or following it online, but it appeared most of the hits Floyd allowed came with two strikes. He found his curveball after the second, from the windup. From the stretch, he didn't seem to have much of anything, certainly not on his curve. About half of his pitches seemed to be breaking balls, so he may have felt he didn't have command of his fastball.

You're not going to beat the A's if you allow them to score 6 runs, especially in Oakland (unless you're the Rangers and you tag Gio Gonzalez for a 7-run inning, but even then a storm blows in and wipes out all the records).

I see no reason for doom and gloom here, as personally as I take every loss in Oakland. The Sox are 5-3 on their West Coast trip, which ends tomorrow. They lost the first game to Felix Hernandez, and have gone 5-2 since. They aren't playing bad baseball. They have a chance to finish the West Coast swing at 6-3 Sunday, but they face a pitcher with an ERA under 2. Cahill is undefeated this year, thanks in large part to a fly ball that Juan Pierre dropped a fly ball in the ninth inning of a game where the Sox had Cahill beat.

Well I hope people know I was being facetious about the curse. I don't believe in them. I agree with most of your points and noticed something similar about Floyd early on today also. I got the impression his curve ball just wasn't breaking early on and while it seemed to gain some bite for a few innings Floyd really didn't have the same stuff he has had the last few times out. Take the loss move on and yeah, 6-3 would be great.

TDog
05-15-2011, 12:59 AM
Well I hope people know I was being facetious about the curse. I don't believe in them. I agree with most of your points and noticed something similar about Floyd early on today also. I got the impression his curve ball just wasn't breaking early on and while it seemed to gain some bite for a few innings Floyd really didn't have the same stuff he has had the last few times out. Take the loss move on and yeah, 6-3 would be great.

I hope everyone here considers playful banter about curses to be just that.

JB made a point about Floyd's slide step (in response to someone complaining that Sox coaches need to be teaching pitchers a slide step to do a better of of holding runners). The strange thing about Floyd's game today is that the only thing he did well was hold runners, especially considering the high percentage of breaking pitches he was throwing.

In the third and fourth, Floyd was throwing some outstanding curves. At the time I thought he had resolved mechanical issues. But in the fifth, it appeared he had less control and didn't have sharp movement specifically when he wasn't working out of the windup.

Friday night, the Sox took advantage of an A's pitcher who was great out of the windup and couldn't pitch nearly as effectively out of the stretch. The A's might have done the same thing Saturday.

doublem23
05-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Floyd was using a slide step today, and I actually thought it made things worse.

He was leaving every pitch he threw high while utilizing the slide step. Might as well junk that piece of **** move and just get the batter out.

Since 2007 I've never liked Floyd pitching from anything other than a full wind-up. I think if you just look at his K/BB rate vs. bases empty and runners on, it's insane. I don't think he's able to get the same movement or velocity or something.

Anyways, tomorrow's a big game. World of difference between 6-3 and 5-4, even though both would be a good road trip through 3 places that has historically been rough on us.

hawkjt
05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
The A's just really have the Sox number,obviously. When they were in Chicago, they blew that Buehrle game where Mark shut them down for 2 hits for 8 innnings,then the blown lead in the 9th.
This weekend, hitting in Oakland seems so hopeless. One 4 run outburst,and that was about it. That place seems so cavernous,unless they pull it down the line like PK,forget hitting homers. I know dead center reads 400ft,but it seems like 4000 ft.

Today is a big game,in the small picture. Win today, momentum is real for Texas and Indians coming to town. Warmer weather next week in chicago,so maybe the ball starts flying out.