PDA

View Full Version : Game time change next Saturday vs. Dodgers

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks to Bud selling out to Fox Sports, the May 21st game next Saturday against the Dodgers has been moved from 6:10 p.m. to 1:10 p.m.

I have no idea when the White Sox were going to get around to letting us know.:angry::angry::angry:

Thanks to Ewok for the heads-up.

JB98
05-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks to Bud selling out to Fox Sports, the May 21st game next Saturday against the Dodgers has been moved from 6:10 p.m. to 1:10 p.m.

I have no idea when the White Sox were going to get around to letting us know.:angry::angry::angry:

Thanks to Ewok for the heads-up.

It says 1:10 on my tickets. :shrug:

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
I'll have to check my tickets when I get to them Monday. The game was set for 6:10 p.m. with fireworks in March when the schedule was "finalized."

I'm calling the Justice Department first thing Monday morning and demanding an anti-trust investigation of the contract MLB signed with Fox Sports. This is obscene.

DSpivack
05-14-2011, 06:14 PM
I'll have to check my tickets when I get to them Monday. The game was set for 6:10 p.m. with fireworks in March when the schedule was "finalized."

I'm calling the Justice Department first thing Monday morning and demanding an anti-trust investigation of the contract MLB signed with Fox Sports. This is obscene.

Doesn't an anti-trust exemption make that moot?

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Doesn't an anti-trust exemption make that moot?
Probably not since Fox Sports is not covered.

Brian26
05-14-2011, 06:44 PM

The magnet schedule says 1:10pm too.

Frontman
05-14-2011, 06:49 PM
And if I'm not mistaken, the tickets are printed with a game time subject to change clause/statement somewhere on them. As much as it annoys us, welcome to the world of sports media control.

NBC gets the "flex" schedule option for NFL games as well.

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:50 PM

The magnet schedule says 1:10pm too.
Kudos to them. However, since the game was originally published on the site at the time we got our season tickets as a 6:10 p.m. game with fireworks, they should have sent out an email letting us know about all the changes. It's not like it's an easy task to double and triple check all 81 games when the various printed schedules (magnets, calendars, etc.) are handing out.

This isn't the Bears where there are only 8 games to look up (and time changes are heavily publicized).

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
And if I'm not mistaken, the tickets are printed with a game time subject to change clause/statement somewhere on them. As much as it annoys us, welcome to the world of sports media control.

NBC gets the "flex" schedule option for NFL games as well.
I get enough junk email from the White Sox about promotions, they can send out emails about time changes, it's not that difficult to do for season ticket holders. Especially this year where I'm sure a bunch of ST holders are thinking twice about plunking down several grand in November for more of the same on the field in 2012.

kittle42
05-14-2011, 10:54 PM
It was 1:10 in March.

TDog
05-14-2011, 11:18 PM

Would have fan standing in an antitrust claim? I'm not an attorney, and if I am missing something, I hope an attorney corrects me, but I don't see this as an antitrust case. Baseball signed a valid contract with Fox. Products sold by baseball recognize the existence of blackouts as a result of the contract. People buy products knowing (or having the opportunity to know) the potential for blackouts exist. Is the contract between MLB and Fox unfairly preventing you from conducting commerce?

In this case, Fox isn't demanding the White Sox reschedule the game. The White Sox rescheduled the game because they wanted to avoid what they consider a negative consequence of a contract to which they are a party.

I don't see the fans having any antitrust standing here. You might be able to develop a theory under contract law, but rescheduling a game with this much notice wouldn't violate the contract established with your ticket purchase. Even if it did, the remedy would likely be no more than a ticket refund.

Of course, the White Sox shouldn't reschedule a scheduled game. But if there is an antitrust violation, I don't see it.

white sox bill
05-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Who knows, they could still pull the fireworks off.....like 21 inning game...

doogiec
05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
On March 6 I sent a email to my season ticket partners with a copy of the downloaded Sox schedule attached. It was listed as a 1:10 pm game even at that date. The Sox change lots of game times during the offseason once the TV networks start setting their plans, I don't see why they would need to send an email every time, particularly since the tickets are printed with the correct time. I certainly wouldn't consider anything posted in Jan/Feb as absolute; it never is.

In my experience they have been flawless about sending me an email whenever a game time is changed during the season (where it conflicts with the printed tickets).

Dub25
05-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I have a calendar sent to me from the Sox during the winter that has 6:05 listed as the game start. Why it was moved to 1:05 is beyond me but that doesn't sound like a Fox Saturday start time. Either way, I hate the Fox game of the week. To me the game of the week should be 1 featured game with maybe a back up in case of weather. It is regional coverage at best like the NFL and I would rather listen to Hawk and Stoney at a regularly scheduled 6:05pm Saturday start while grilling with some cold drinks.

tacosalbarojas
05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm not a fan of the time change either, but don't those schedules come with a "time subject to change" disclaimer on most of them? Pretty sure that covers any legal action someone might want to take.

DumpJerry
05-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not a fan of the time change either, but don't those schedules come with a "time subject to change" disclaimer on most of them? Pretty sure that covers any legal action someone might want to take.
Yes, I know the times are subject to change and, no, I am not talking about taking legal action. My beef, if people read what I wrote, is that there was never any notification from the White Sox of the time change after the 6:05 time was initially published. As a season ticket holder, I get emails all the time from the Sox with various marketing news and updates, how much energy would it have taken to send out an email with time changes from the initial schedule?

tacosalbarojas
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=DumpJerry;2751494]Yes, I know the times are subject to change and, no, I am not talking about taking legal action. [QUOTE]
Oh, okay...sounded to me from your earlier posts like you were.

Frontman
05-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Did you make the call?

TDog
05-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes, I know the times are subject to change and, no, I am not talking about taking legal action. My beef, if people read what I wrote, is that there was never any notification from the White Sox of the time change after the 6:05 time was initially published. As a season ticket holder, I get emails all the time from the Sox with various marketing news and updates, how much energy would it have taken to send out an email with time changes from the initial schedule?

I apologize for misreading what you wrote. I thought when you wrote that you intended to call the Justice Department, you were looking at legal action.

Ranger
05-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Just for your knowledge, FOX usually has that window of exclusivity between 3 and 6 central. Which means if your game is not a FOX game, you need to start it by noon (so that it will probably end by 3) or at 6pm. However, there are some dates this year where FOX is doing noon or 6pm games. Those games do not have the exclusive window, so other teams can play at those times.

It is my understanding that, next year, FOX is looking into doing mostly primetime starts for their Game of the Week. If that happens, it looks like we're going to be seeing a lot of Saturday afternoon baseball because every other team would not be allowed to start at 6 central while the Game of the Week is happening. This is possible but don't know if it's set just yet.

sunofgold
05-20-2011, 10:58 AM
This should be a good matchup. Welcome back Uribe & Garland. Uribe please strike out a lot and make some errors to help your previous team. Garland please be wild and ineffective for this start. Best of luck after this series to you.

dwitt76
05-20-2011, 11:56 AM
This should be a good matchup. Welcome back Uribe & Garland. Uribe please strike out a lot and make some errors to help your previous team. Garland please be wild and ineffective for this start. Best of luck after this series to you.

Hopefully rain stays away for that one. Going to try and make to the ballpark for that one.