PDA

View Full Version : FOX prime time Saturdays for the next 3 weeks

Fenway
05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
FOX has the option of televising TEN prime time Saturday's in 2012 and that could change the way we watch baseball on the weekend.

USA Today story

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2011-05-12-heat-bulls-steve-kerr-fox-baseball-mlb_N.htm

Now here is the problem...... FOX would have the 7-11 PM window as an exclusive which means many teams that play Saturday night games will be forced to move to the afternoon or NOT televise.

Cleveland for example will not televise a game vs the Reds this year because FOX didn't pick it.

Prime Time gets more eyeballs but FOX will feature the same teams - tonight BOS-NYY goes to 71% of the US (lucky Chicago gets the Flubs so enjoy hockey :tongue:)

But since the White Sox do enjoy playing on Saturday night at home this could become a hassle next year.

Thoughts?

manders_01
05-14-2011, 03:52 PM
FOX has the option of televising TEN prime time Saturday's in 2012 and that could change the way we watch baseball on the weekend.

USA Today story

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2011-05-12-heat-bulls-steve-kerr-fox-baseball-mlb_N.htm

Now here is the problem...... FOX would have the 7-11 PM window as an exclusive which means many teams that play Saturday night games will be forced to move to the afternoon or NOT televise.

Cleveland for example will not televise a game vs the Reds this year because FOX didn't pick it.

Prime Time gets more eyeballs but FOX will feature the same teams - tonight BOS-NYY goes to 71% of the US (lucky Chicago gets the Flubs so enjoy hockey :tongue:)

But since the White Sox do enjoy playing on Saturday night at home this could become a hassle next year.

Thoughts?

The Rockies moved their game to this afternoon and I believe they have already moved the other weekends. I have a feeling that will be what most teams do.

PS Your link isn't correct. It goes to a Bulls story.

ChicagoG19
05-14-2011, 04:07 PM
The Rockies moved their game to this afternoon and I believe they have already moved the other weekends. I have a feeling that will be what most teams do.

PS Your link isn't correct. It goes to a Bulls story.

The Fox baseball story is further down the page when you click the link.

manders_01
05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
The Fox baseball story is further down the page when you click the link.

Whoops, scrolled too fast! :redface: :D:

ewokpelts
05-14-2011, 04:15 PM
sox did that for next week's dodgers game. it was originally a 6:05 start. they also moved the giveaway from friday night to saturday afternoon.

Southsider101
05-14-2011, 04:27 PM
This is not good for out of town fans like myself who watch Saturday night Sox games on WGN. This year, there are 10 Sox games scheduled on WGN America for Saturday nights. According to the article, Fox may take 10 Saturdays in 2012. This could reduce the number of weekend Sox telecasts in prime time significantly.

DSpivack
05-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Ugh, I loathe Fox's exclusive window.

Fenway
05-14-2011, 04:47 PM
This is not good for out of town fans like myself who watch Saturday night Sox games on WGN. This year, there are 10 Sox games scheduled on WGN America for Saturday nights. According to the article, Fox may take 10 Saturdays in 2012. This could reduce the number of weekend Sox telecasts in prime time significantly.

That is exactly the point I was trying to hammer home....

FOX changed baseball in Boston where the Red Sox NEVER played on Saturday night.....now to avoid the window they play at night if not selected by FOX ( which is 8-9 games max - it just seems like more )

When was the last time the Cubs played on a Saturday night at home that wasn't a playoff game?

ChicagoG19
05-14-2011, 05:00 PM
I am pretty sick and tired of all the accommodations that the MLB makes for Fox. Fox has done nothing but hurt the game of baseball with their Saturday exclusivity windows and late starting playoff games.

SephClone89
05-14-2011, 05:01 PM
What's the reason for switching to primetime? Is the change on the 28th due to FOX broadcasting the UEFA Champions League final, or is that just a happenstance?

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:36 PM
sox did that for next week's dodgers game. it was originally a 6:05 start. they also moved the giveaway from friday night to saturday afternoon.
When were they going to ****ing tell us? This ****s up my plans for the game. If I did not see this post, it would have royally screwed me. Now it only screws me. So much for loyalty to Season Ticket Holders. :angry: We need a "Fire Bud" tag. (you lurking this thread, Front Office?)

Lip Man 1
05-14-2011, 06:48 PM
My thoughts are that MLB will continue kissing Fox's ass because they are paying the freight.

And that's a shame because Fox absolutely sucks as a baseball network...from the announcers, to the production to their "take" of how the game should be shown..

NBC treated the game with reverence at a pace and style that suited it. Fox's attitude is 'let's cram in as much noise, sound effects and hype as possible because our audience is stupid and won't appreciate the game if we don't.' Plus Fox thinks that if they can't reach the under 30 crowd everything is a failure and they go out of their way for that demographic.

Now throw in their Red Sox - Yankees all the time all the way attitude and you can see why even in good seasons for the Sox I refuse to watch them. I had my fill of those morons years ago.

Lip

DumpJerry
05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
My thoughts are that MLB will continue kissing Fox's ass because they are paying the freight.

And that's a shame because Fox absolutely sucks as a baseball network...from the announcers, to the production to their "take" of how the game should be shown..

NBC treated the game with reverence at a pace and style that suited it. Fox's attitude is 'let's cram in as much noise, sound effects and hype as possible because our audience is stupid and won't appreciate the game if we don't.' Plus Fox thinks that if they can't reach the under 30 crowd everything is a failure and they go out of their way for that demographic.

Now throw in their Red Sox - Yankees all the time all the way attitude and you can see why even in good seasons for the Sox I refuse to watch them. I had my fill of those morons years ago.

Lip
If you suffer from migraines, watching sports on Fox is not a good idea. They waste, I mean spend, way too much money on people who create a carnival sideshow out of baseball and football games with all the noise and animations. Just show us the game, is it that difficult????

Too bad MLB and the NFL won't ask the fans who should be awarded the television contracts. It's only our money that greases the wheels.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Dump:

Apparently "just showing the game" is a foreign concept to Fox. They honestly think if they don't have all the bells and whistles and graphics the audience they are trying to reach will get bored and turn the channel. (and unfortunately they are probably right in that belief...)

Lip

ewokpelts
05-15-2011, 05:34 AM
what's the reason for switching to primetime? Is the change on the 28th due to fox broadcasting the uefa champions league final, or is that just a happenstance?
nascar

doogiec
05-15-2011, 11:20 AM
When were they going to ****ing tell us? This ****s up my plans for the game. If I did not see this post, it would have royally screwed me. Now it only screws me. So much for loyalty to Season Ticket Holders. :angry: We need a "Fire Bud" tag. (you lurking this thread, Front Office?)

My season tickets for Saturday's game, which I received in March, show a 1:10 pm start for that game. They must have changed the start time a long time ago.

VenturaFan23
05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
As an Extra Innings subscriber, FOX exclusive window absolutely sucks especially on Saturday nights.

Fenway
05-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Dump:

Apparently "just showing the game" is a foreign concept to Fox. They honestly think if they don't have all the bells and whistles and graphics the audience they are trying to reach will get bored and turn the channel. (and unfortunately they are probably right in that belief...)

Lip

John Filippelli who is in charge of FOX baseball came from NBC Sports....the #1 director Bill Webb also does the Yankees on YES.

But they have to do what David Hill wants....(he runs FOX Sports) - David never saw a baseball game in his life when he started FOX Sports for Murdoch as he was brought in from Sydney where he started a network there.

The real change in FOX coverage came in the 2004 ALCS where they decided to show crowd reactions after every pitch of worried fans. They won an Emmy for that coverage.

Most of FOX Sports upper people came from CBS after they lost the NFL...and in turn CBS now has most of NBC's people. In turn NBC Sunday Night Football is mostly staffed by former ABC Sports people.

FOX hit a new low last night in the Boston-NYY game. For some reason, they had Sarah Silverman on and they made her sound like the losingest loser of all losers, ever. They even bleeped her saying "M*******." Twice. The only thing more painful than watching Sarah Silverman sitting between Buck and Ol' Man McCarver as Buck explains why she should become a Yankees fan is watching Smacky McBluelips (A-Rod) chewing roughly 7,000 pieces of gum - and three packs of sunflower seeds - at once with his mouth open.

Medford Bobby
05-16-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't know if football guy Joe Buck was sick...but he sounded awfull.....:angry:

Fenway
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't know if football guy Joe Buck was sick...but he sounded awfull.....:angry:

You will NOT believe how lame this was

esIZ04A3et8

gogosox675
05-17-2011, 12:00 AM
I will do back flips the day FOX loses baseball coverage.

russ99
05-24-2011, 02:13 PM
An article in thus week's Sports Weekly alludes to the possibility of Fox switching from day games to night games for their national broadcasts on Saturdays.

IMO, this is an awful idea unless they ditch the regional/local TV blackouts.