PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Friday the 13th, Reverse the Curse, SOX 4 OAK 3 Postgamer

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Humber with another quality start.

Sox get some breaks to put up one crooked number in the second inning, and it's just enough.

I guess Santos is unofficially officially the closer.

Kind of an ugly win, but we'll take it.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Santos is a man.

BigHurt3515
05-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Santos is NASTY

guillensdisciple
Santos is insane. Kid has nasty nasty stuff.

JermaineDye05
Santos is filthy. That last pitch on Suzuki. Wow.

When was the last time we won a one run ballgame IN Oakland?

EDIT: It was actually last year by the same score. It just feels like we're usually on the losing end of those games.

tstrike2000
Sergio for stud of the year.

SephClone89
My father has nicknamed Santos "The Serg Protector."

MountainCur
Santos is a man, and

Humber is a nice surprise

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Let's win the series tomorrow.

Brian26
Five out of six. Keep it rolling.

SoxSpeed22
Nice to see the other teams give games away during this stretch. The bullpen was the toughest it's been all year, especially some filthy stuff from Crain and Sergio. Still got to do better than 15 in a row getting retired though.

manders_01
Just got home in time to see the 9th. I echo the sentiments of the posters before me...damn Santos is good! :bandance:

NDSox12
05-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Not a good game for the offense, but Humber, Crain and Santos were up to the task!

stevied23
Sergio has sick sick movement on those pitches. Wow! If Guillen doesn't come out and say he's without a doubt the closer going forward, he needs his head checked.

doublem23
Tlou_2lMLAc

Frater Perdurabo
Five out of six. Keep it rolling.

voodoochile
05-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Definitely found our closer. Heck of a tag, heck of a win, heck of an effort.

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

Frater Perdurabo
Sergio has sick sick movement on those pitches. Wow! If Guillen doesn't come out and say he's without a doubt the closer going forward, he needs his head checked.

I don't have a problem if Ozzie doesn't make a formal announcement.

I just want him to keep running Santos out there with a lead in the ninth.

Nelfox02
boy, is it nice to have a closer you actually feel is going to, I dont know, save the game? I know the sample size is still limited, but so far so good.

last year with Jenks you were always waiting for a shoe to drop and this year before Santos.....well no need to dredge up that demon

Great W....just enough hitting......that gift 4th run turned out to be pretty huge.

7 under now! surging!

SoxFan1979
05-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Sergio sergio sergio :d:

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Hell of a job by Humber.

Did anyone else's heart skip a few beats when Crisp tried to steal home?

tstrike2000
Nice win. Now, we just need to find a viable lefty out of the bullpen.

Frater Perdurabo
Wimpy seemed really impressed with Santos' nastiness.

ChiSoxGal85
Awesome 1-run win. Humber was excellent into the 7th. Sergio and Crain stellar. Matt...well, he scared me. Again.

Would have like to see more offense besides the second inning...Dunn struck out 3 times tonight, although his last K was bogus. Beckham's last at-bat K was ugly.

But the best moment of the game: AJ getting Crisp trying to steal home!!!!

doublem23
Hell of a job by Humber.

Did anyone else's heart skip a few beats when Crisp tried to steal home?

No, by the time I realized what was happening he was already out.

Nelfox02
PK saving that throw by TCM was huge too----very different inning if that ball sails over him.....guy could have ended up at third in this park....

LongLiveFisk
05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
There's still a ways to go, but I am feeling a lot better about things lately, and this has been a successful road trip. It's making me want to pick up some tickets for next week, as I am definitely craving the nacho helmet. :cool:

(But winning baseball is good too!)

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice win. Now, we just need to find a viable lefty out of the bullpen.

Yes.

Well, and I think Vizquel needs to be the everyday starting third baseman.

I'm not giving up on Morel, but he might benefit from playing every day in Charlotte.

chisoxfanatic
05-13-2011, 11:35 PM
I'll add that it was awesome hearing Wimpy again...It brought me back to my childhood days.

These west coast trips usually spell doom for this team. It's nice that they're getting a much-needed boost out of it this time around.

Nelfox02
05-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Wimpy seemed really impressed with Santos' nastiness.

Guessing Suzuki and Matsui were too.....

sunofgold
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Now 3-7 in one run games! Only 5.5 games out of a wildcard! 11-12 on the road isn't too bad.

Our Savior Sergio Santos!

Did you know that Sale and Ohman have only made two appearances in May. And Pena only one. lol! Never in an important situation.

Thornton was a little bit shaky but got the job done. Crain did his job. And Santos made it look easy. Cheers to our 3 man bullpen.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Well, that was ugly but I will take a win. Thankfully the A's kind of gave us the game by having Crisp try to steal. That was a bit confusing. Let's keep winning games

fram40
05-13-2011, 11:42 PM
No, by the time I realized what was happening he was already out.

same here. And you almost never see a straight steal of home. The onlyother one I remember seeing was in the WS (was it Vince Coleman of the Cards in the '82 series?)

sunofgold
05-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Anybody struggling in our minors as an everyday player but has a good arm? We need another reliever.

I think Santos probably inspiring a lot of minor league baseball players to re-think their position on the field. Like BA. haha!

Tragg
05-13-2011, 11:49 PM
same here. And you almost never see a straight steal of home. The onlyother one I remember seeing was in the WS (was it Vince Coleman of the Cards in the '82 series?)
Wasn't that Lonnie Smith? And he was called out but was safe.

LoveYourSuit
05-13-2011, 11:54 PM
This pitching staff is starting to give me a very good feeling about a long sustained hot run. It's a long hill to climb, but maybe perhaps we have already seen the worst.

On offense, I need to see Vizquel every night in there and yes I want him at the top of the order.

Vizquel needs to replace Beckham or Morel in the everyday line up.

WhiteSox5187
05-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Ellsbury stole home against the Yankees on a straight steal on ESPN in 2009 I think.

doublem23
05-13-2011, 11:56 PM

At least Beckham can field his god damn position. Morel just sucks.

LoveYourSuit
05-14-2011, 12:01 AM
At least Beckham can field his god damn position. Morel just sucks.

I agree.

I think they both need to work things out in AAA.

You can't have invested 125 million and have crap for production in the 8 and 9 hole.

slavko
05-14-2011, 12:04 AM
C.L.O.S.E.R. Throws strikes and everything moves. Might be too relaxing for me, I've gotten accustomed to a lifetime of palm-sweating White Sox 9th innings.

RCWHITESOX
05-14-2011, 12:04 AM
This pitching staff is starting to give me a very good feeling about a long sustained hot run. It's a long hill to climb, but maybe perhaps we have already seen the worst.

On offense, I need to see Vizquel every night in there and yes I want him at the top of the order.

I couldn't;t agree more. More playing time for Visquel.

doublem23
05-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I agree.

I think they both need to work things out in AAA.

You can't have invested 125 million and have crap for production in the 8 and 9 hole.

Yeah, but unfortunately there are too few plugs for too many holes right now. Keep Beckham here, he plays a good 2B and occasionally looks like he knows what he's doing at the plate. Morel... Whatever.

JB98
05-14-2011, 12:09 AM
Crain put out the fire in the seventh inning ... that was huge.

I can't believe Crisp took a risk on trying to steal home with Thornton struggling. Thanks for the free out, idiot. We'll take it.

tstrike2000
05-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Yes.

Well, and I think Vizquel needs to be the everyday starting third baseman.

I'm not giving up on Morel, but he might benefit from playing every day in Charlotte.

Some of us have jokingly called him grandpa, but if Vizquel doesn't play the last two games, we could've lost both games. He was part of the late inning rally against LAAAA and scored the fourth run tonight. Him playing third last year when Teahen went down really sparked this team. He could be 64 years old for all we care, but he brings intangibles that Morel doesn't have yet. At this stage of his career, playing everyday isn't what he's here for, but he's been a big lift lately.

doublem23
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
I can't believe Crisp took a risk on trying to steal home with Thornton struggling. Thanks for the free out, idiot. We'll take it.

Seriously, I realize Thornton basically fell asleep on him at 3B but ALL HE THROWS ARE FASTBALLS. I'm not complaining, but if I was an A's fan, my head would have exploded at that point.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Humber and Santos look like a money combination. Which is ironic since they are making the least. If the veterans start earning their salaries soon this could still go somewhere.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
05-14-2011, 12:36 AM
Some of us have jokingly called him grandpa, but if Vizquel doesn't play the last two games, we could've lost both games. He was part of the late inning rally against LAAAA and scored the fourth run tonight. Him playing third last year when Teahen went down really sparked this team. He could be 64 years old for all we care, but he brings intangibles that Morel doesn't have yet. At this stage of his career, playing everyday isn't what he's here for, but he's been a big lift lately.

I call him "Abuelo Omar" as a term of endearment.

Vizquel has been doing yeoman's work the last year and a quarter here. I am really glad that he is on this team, because he brings some much-needed fundamentals and quiet production to a team that lacks it.

chisoxfanatic
05-14-2011, 12:44 AM

Vizquel has been doing yeoman's work the last year and a quarter here. I am really glad that he is on this team, because he brings some much-needed fundamentals and quiet production to a team that lacks it.
If he keeps this up, then I'd hope he would consider playing into at least his upper-40s. He's out-playing folks half his age. He's definitely old-school.

johnnyg83
05-14-2011, 01:04 AM

It's staggering how well he's played for us.

Player/Manager? (hazy teal)

TommyGavinFloyd
05-14-2011, 01:26 AM
@MDGonzales "AJ, after Crisp was nailed at home on steal attempt: “Hey, I get a caught stealing for that. Got to get them any way I can.”

TDog
05-14-2011, 03:42 AM
Just got back from the game. (There was a train ride, a drive and a stop at Denny's involved.) It was extremely well played.

I saw the attempted steal of home all the way, from Crisp's walking lead. Fortunately, when Thornton picked Crisp up, he wasn't rattled. He didn't balk or throw it away. The Sox scored their fourth run in the second, of course, on a bad throw by McCarthy. The difference was Sox pitchers throwing guys out on the bases.

The Sox did everything right and had the margin for error allowed for Humber to lose it without warning his third time through the lineup. Crain wasn't warming up at the beginning of the inning. He had no reason to.

With Santos closing out one-run games, this team actually looks like a pretty good one.

russ99
05-14-2011, 06:59 AM
Anybody struggling in our minors as an everyday player but has a good arm? We need another reliever.

I think Santos probably inspiring a lot of minor league baseball players to re-think their position on the field. Like BA. haha!

We already have two good relievers in the minors:

Brian Bruney closing in Charlotte with a upper 90s fastball, 6 saves and a 1.72 ERA in 15.2 innings

Gregory Infante closing in Birmingham has 7 saves, a 0.00 ERA and 14Ks in 15.1 innings.

The questions when does the performance of Pena become so bad that the Sox eat his salary to promote one of them.

Zisk77
05-14-2011, 07:27 AM
@MDGonzales "AJ, after Crisp was nailed at home on steal attempt: “Hey, I get a caught stealing for that. Got to get them any way I can.”

Ha, thats what I texted my bro when it happened. He facetiously texted me me back "nice throw A.J.

Alos after Sergio got the save I texted "filthy". He replied "septic" :cool:

kufram
05-14-2011, 08:18 AM
I think playing Omar more is a win/win. Omar can carry his weight because he has a baseball head that usually puts him in the best position to contribute, so he often does contribute. Morel then gets to watch the best infielder of a generation at work. Another win is that Alexei gets to play next to Omar more and that definitely helped him last year. I guess the problem is that Morel isn't going to contribute much off the bench.

I'd love to see Omar play here long enough to want to manage here in the future. I think he will be a good manager some day. I also think AJ will be a good manager one day.

ChiSoxGal85
05-14-2011, 09:30 AM
My father has nicknamed Santos "The Serg Protector."
:rolling: Love it!

palehozenychicty
05-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Anytime we get an Oakland win, you take it. Then cross back across the East Bay Bridge back to the 'sco. San Francisco, that is.

After that, you can go to Chinatown and get some roast duck with dumplings. :tongue:

miker
05-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, not a pretty win, but it was a game we would of found a way to lose a couple weeks ago. I'll take it.

fram40
05-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Wasn't that Lonnie Smith? And he was called out but was safe.

you are correct - 3rd inning of game 6. The only other straight steal I remember seeing live.

Sure glad Crisp was out. It would be embarassing to allow the tying run on a straight steal of home. Altho rather expected given Thornton's season to date.

Maybe the worm has turned. I believe it has. A winning, three city trip to the left coast. Woo hoo! Here come the Sox!!

hawkjt
05-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I have been too depressed to comment on the Sox lately,but tonites game was a hoot! Wimpy and Hawk were back,the Sox took full advantage of McCarthy's brain cramps,and our bullpen did a great job closing it up.

The attempted steal by crisp just made our jaws drop...I think arguably it is the most exciting play in baseball,and soooo rare. We were talking how he almost scored a run without the benefit of a hit...like a homer without a hit..would have been horrible but noteworthy.

Way to go Serge! Omar!!

Sox need to get red hot,finish this road trip strong,then come home and roll...right thru texas and cleveland.

DickAllen72
05-14-2011, 11:34 AM
I couldn't;t agree more. More playing time for Visquel.
Vizquel should lead off at 2B and Dayan Viciedo should be the starting LFer.

Lip Man 1
05-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Nice win. Humber has been the biggest surprise to me this season.

Lip

hawkjt
05-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Nice win. Humber has been the biggest surprise to me this season.

Lip

I agree. Humbar really has a nice loose confidence out there lately. Just gets it and throws. Really gives the Sox some nice flexibility with 6 starters....

October26
05-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I have watched the replay of the Crisp attempt to steal home and AJ's awesome tag several times today. Love it!

Also loved hearing Hawk and Wimpy on the broadcast last night. They were great! :smile:

thomas35forever
05-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Crisp caught stealing home + Santos with the filthy stuff = great finish to a great game