PDA

View Full Version : Humber to try to make history tonight

DumpJerry
05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Three hits or fewer in three consecutive starts of at least seven innings. (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/sports/cbsports-white-soxs-humber-looks-to-make-history-20110513,0,3429473.story)

Coincidentally, the last guy to do it was Johan Santana, whom the Twins traded for Humber.

kittle42
05-13-2011, 05:19 PM
They're engraving the plaque already.

eriqjaffe
05-13-2011, 05:21 PM
So that pretty much assures that he'll give up 8 runs in 3 innings tonight, I guess. :(

downstairs
05-13-2011, 05:25 PM
So that pretty much assures that he'll give up 8 runs in 3 innings tonight, I guess. :(

Yeah, but he'll walk them all in and still get the record.

Taliesinrk
05-13-2011, 05:39 PM
To clarify, he's done it three times already, and is attempting to do it for a fourth time? The article (unless I read it wrong - a distinct possibility) is confusing. It never actually says what the "history" he's trying to make is. I think I know, but am not sure. By your title, I originally assumed he had done it twice and was trying to do it for a 3rd time.

jcw218
05-13-2011, 05:47 PM
To clarify, he's done it three times already, and is attempting to do it for a fourth time? The article (unless I read it wrong - a distinct possibility) is confusing. It never actually says what the "history" he's trying to make is. I think I know, but am not sure. By your title, I originally assumed he had done it twice and was trying to do it for a 3rd time.

From the way the article is written, it sounds like Humber has already pitched 7 or more innings and given up 3 or fewer hits in 3 straight starts and is looking to become the 1st White Sox pitcher to go for four straight. The last time that anyone has gone more than 3 straight starts with less than 4 hits was Johan who went 5 straight in 2004

DumpJerry
05-13-2011, 05:58 PM

From the way the article is written, it sounds like Humber has already pitched 7 or more innings and given up 3 or fewer hits in 3 straight starts and is looking to become the 1st White Sox pitcher to go for four straight. The last time that anyone has gone more than 3 straight starts with less than 4 hits was Johan who went 5 straight in 2004
I agree the editors at the Tribune were asleep at the wheel on this one. My interpretation of the missing information is that he tied Pierce for three in a row and can make franchise history tonight if he goes at least seven innings with three or less hits.

DumpJerry
05-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Well, he remains tied with Pierce for the team record.