PDA

View Full Version : Pierre Fielding

LITTLE NELL
05-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Our leftfielder has the 2nd worst fielding percentage (.938) of any starting posistion player in the AL. Unless this guy hits way over .300 and steals a ton of bases he is useless. If we get back in the race and it gets down to crunch time he is going to cost us some games.
Ralph Garr is a gold glover compared to Pierre.
I would move Liilibridge to CF and TCQ to LF and Rios to RF, TCM can bat leadoff.
By the way the guy with the worst fielding pct. in the AL is a our third baseman with a .900 .pct.

Zakath
05-12-2011, 06:41 AM
Our leftfielder has the 2nd worst fielding percentage (.938) of any starting posistion player in the AL. Unless this guy hits way over .300 and steals a ton of bases he is useless. If we get back in the race and it gets down to crunch time he is going to cost us some games.
I would move Liilibridge to CF and TCQ to LF and Rios to RF, TCM can bat leadoff.
By the way the guy with the worst fielding pct. in the AL is a our third baseman with a .900 .pct.

I could see either putting Lillibridge in LF, or in RF and putting TCQ back in left, but I don't believe it's a smart move to take Rios out of CF.

TDog
05-12-2011, 06:59 AM
Fielding percentage isn't a good way to judge a defensive player, but in this case it is particularly telling. Typically, fielding percentages are found among outfielders and pitchers while non-first-base infielders, particularly shortstops, have the worst. Outfielders generally get a lot of relatively easy chances with the difficult plays that they miss going as hits. Pierre isn't going to make many throwing errors because he doesn't have the arm to miss many cut-offs.

I don't know why Pierre has played such a poor left field this year. And he has made a few great plays. He has never played this poorly defensively. I don't know if he is going to turn it around and start playing better.

I think the White Sox would have a better outfield with Quentin in left and a strong fielder in right. I'm not sure that Lillibridge is an everyday player, though. Rios is their best everyday option in center.

Of course, Dunn has played a lot of left field in his career. If you would rather have Dunn in left than Pierre, the DH spot would be open. (And it is entirely possible Pierre could be on the bench in NL parks if Dun continues his hitting surge.) And in the event the Sox could find an open roster spot, Scott Podsednik has secured his release from the Blue Jays.

Seriously, I have been concerned with the outfield defense since preseason. And it isn't like there are many defensive replacements on the bench. Absent a trade or Pierre getting his act together, I don't know that things can change.

Chez
05-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Juan's defense has been so surprisingly bad, that it makes me wonder if needs to have his eyes examined. Most of his errors have been on missed catches.

miker
05-12-2011, 07:56 AM
An oxymoron...like jumbo shrimp.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-12-2011, 08:01 AM
From Macowiak to Erstad to Swisher to Griffey to Pierre, this crew has demonstrated little interest or ability to put together a solid outfield. They have also shown that they will stand behind their poor decisions no matter the weight of the evidence. This year will be no different.

The fact that the two worst fielders are the LF and 3B is particularly frustrating considering that while most teams have productive offensive players at these positions, the White Sox don't even have that.

The LF and 3B can't hit or field but they're all in. Good luck with that.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I could live with Pierre's "normal" fielding if he's hitting .300, OBP-ing .350, and stealing 60+ bases.

But he's fielding terribly, hitting poorly for a leadoff hitter, and getting thrown out more than he's stealing bases.

Other than Ozzie's stubbornness, there is no possible justification for Pierre remaining on the field or in the lineup right now.

Soxfest
05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
JP is Horrid.............DFA Pierre and bring up DV!

Hartman
05-12-2011, 08:47 AM
The answer is simple....get rid of Pierre by any means necessary and pencil in Lillibridge. He can't be any worse.

cws05champ
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I think the White Sox would have a better outfield with Quentin in left and a strong fielder in right. I'm not sure that Lillibridge is an everyday player, though. Rios is their best everyday option in center.

Long term Quentin should be moved to left, but to do that mid-season is tough. I think Carlos may look worse out there in LF than Juan is now. It's not that easy to shift from RF to LF mid season. IF TCQ was going to LF my first thought was to bring up Viciedo for RF. Now our overall OF defense would probably be worse but hopefully Viciedo offense would at least make up for it.

Unless you can get anything of value from Juan in a trade, then he should stay on as a pinch runner/spot starter. His salary is a sunk cost and he has shown in the past that he handles demotions and spotty playing time well, like the professional he is.

tstrike2000
05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Pierre fielding, would be nice if there was such a thing.

russ99
05-12-2011, 09:30 AM

Why has Pierre become such a scapegoat around here? Because he's not the power hitter some fans seem to want at every position?

As Rongey said last night: at the plate he's getting on base - what's the issue?

Also we're ridiculously nitpicking him here on defense as the vast majority of his errors were on balls that were hammered and were difficult to make a clean play on.

IMO, Pierre looks worse since he can get to many more chances on well-hit balls, where a guy like Lillibridge would need to go get the ball after it hits the wall. Which is really the same result if Pierre can't make a catch that most outfielders can't even get to.

Rios made also bad plays in the OF this year and is also slumping at the plate, and nobody's ripping him. He should be under much more scrutiny that Juan, since he's supposedly a gold glover.

soltrain21
05-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Why has Pierre become such a scapegoat around here? Because he's not the power hitter some fans seem to want at every position?

As Rongey said last night: at the plate he's getting on base - what's the issue?

Also we're ridiculously nitpicking him here on defense as the vast majority of his errors were on balls that were hammered and were difficult to make a clean play on. IMO, Pierre looks worse since he can get to many more chances on well-hit balls, where a guy like Lillibridge would need to go get the ball after it hits the wall. Which is really the same result if Pierre can't make a catch that most outfielders can't even get to.

Rios made also bad plays in the OF this year and is also slumping at the plate, and nobody's ripping him. He should be under much more scrutiny that Juan, since he's supposedly a gold glover.

Pierre is getting on base? Stats say otherwise. His OBP is terrible. And he gets picked off everytime he is on.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Pierre is done. His speed is gone. Thank god his contract is over at year's end.

russ99
05-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Pierre is getting on base? Stats say otherwise. His OBP is terrible. And he gets picked off everytime he is on.

He's getting on almost 100 points higher than his average, and is third on the team in times on base.

Has Juan been picked off once this year, twice? Really... every time he's on. :rolleyes:

This is Pods all over again. Some people just don't like slap hitters/speed guys.

BainesHOF
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
It's not that easy to shift from RF to LF mid season.

What?!

cws05champ
05-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Also we're ridiculously nitpicking him here on defense as the vast majority of his errors were on balls that were hammered and were difficult to make a clean play on. IMO, Pierre looks worse since he can get to many more chances on well-hit balls, where a guy like Lillibridge would need to get the ball after it hits the wall.

Because two of Pierre's worst errors directly cost us 2 games...and those two early in the year, in the late innings were not that difficult of a play. One was a pop up dropped in short LF. His OBP is .325....so while it's correct to say he's getting on base, it's not nearly enough for a lead-off hitter. And one of his supposed strengths, stealing bases, he is getting caught (8), more than he has stolen (6).

I think everyone could deal with his defense if he was getting on base at a .350+ clip and leading the league in steals. But he's not.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-12-2011, 09:45 AM
He's getting on almost 100 points higher than his average, and is third on the team in times on base.

Has Juan been picked off once this year, twice? Really... every time he's on. :rolleyes:

This is Pods all over again. Some people just don't like slap hitters/speed guys.

I think it was pretty obvious that he meant to include the caught stealings as well.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

I really don't see any defense for him. He's done.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierrju01.shtml

ALL his numbers are down, and his SB stats are a complete joke. On top of that, he's been questionable at best defensively, and at times just awful.

"getting on almost 100 points higher than his average, and is third on the team in times on base." is really, really grasping at straws here.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Pods is revered around here, Pierre is hated because he sucks. His .325 OBP is ****, no matter how you want to spin it. Sure, it's #3 on the team, but THAT'S BECAUSE THE WHITE SOX OFFENSE IS ONE OF THE WORST IN THE LEAGUE. His OBP is #54 in the American League and is basically league-average... Not good for a guy who has no other discernable skill than getting on base and running fast.

6 SB this year, 8 CS.

Juan Pierre sucks. Top it off with he's also a major liability in the field.

russ99
05-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Because two of Pierre's worst errors directly cost us 2 games...and those two early in the year, in the late innings were not that difficult of a play. One was a pop up dropped in short LF. His OBP is .325....so while it's correct to say he's getting on base, it's not nearly enough for a lead-off hitter. And one of his supposed strengths, stealing bases, he is getting caught (8), more than he has stolen (6).

I think everyone could deal with his defense if he was getting on base at a .350+ clip and leading the league in steals. But he's not.

Rios also dropped a fly ball, players make errors.

He's getting on base at a .325 clip while hitting .248. If he can get up to his career .297 average, we'll be there.

As for SB/CS, I do agree he needs to succeed more. I don't see a loss of speed in Juan, rather that he's more predictable when he's going to run (maybe there's something he's tipping off?) and opposing teams are onto that. Also, all infielders know he's sliding at the back corner of 2nd base.

Hopefully his technique can be adjusted. I was hoping that him working with Devon White would improve things.

OK, so Juan Pierre is playing at a subpar level early this season, yet so is Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel. Why is it a given they can improve, yet Pierre is done??

kittle42
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
OK, so Juan Pierre is playing at a subpar level early this season, yet so is Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Morel. Why is it a given they can improve, yet Pierre is done??

Would you rather we say get rid of them all? None of the guys mentioned gets "free pass" here. Dunn is going to hit 40 homers. Many have said Beckham needs to be sent down. Morel was never supposed to be good, anyway, so he goes somewhat ignored. Rios? There, you have a point.

But NOT criticizing others as much as you would like doesn't mean that Juan Pierre isn't in steep decline and a drain on the club.

BringHomeDaBacon
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Rios also dropped a fly ball, players make errors.

He's getting on base at a .325 clip while hitting .248. If he can get up to his career .297 average, we'll be there.

As for SB/CS, I do agree he needs to succeed more. I don't see a loss of speed in Juan, rather that he's more predictable when he's going to run (maybe there's something he's tipping off?) and opposing teams are onto that. Also, all infielders know he's sliding at the back corner of 2nd base.

Hopefully his technique can be adjusted. I was hoping that him working with Devon White would improve things.

His .341 OBP last year was also not very good. The fact that he could not score 100 runs last year despite 734 plate appearances, 68 steals and hitting in front of career year Rios and career year Konerko should tell you all you need to know about the decline in his skills.

Almost ANY leadoff hitter would have scored 96 runs hitting at the top of last years lineup.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Because Pierre is over the hill and frankly, has never really been that good anyways. With Dunn and Rios, at least you have some success to fall back on, and neither of their skills seem to have eroded as terribly as Pierre.

Plus, there are plenty of people wondeirng if Beckham and Morel will ever amount to anything.

But back to Pierre, the guy has 1 MLB-quality skill, and that is his speed, which it looks like he doesn't have any more. He's clearly lost a step, now, maybe he'll find it again once the weather heats up, I don't know, but history is generally not kind to players who are in the Majors only because they run fast once they start getting too far past 30.

miker
05-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Is DeWayne Wise still available?

russ99
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Would you rather we say get rid of them all? None of the guys mentioned gets "free pass" here. Dunn is going to hit 40 homers. Many have said Beckham needs to be sent down. Morel was never supposed to be good, anyway, so he goes somewhat ignored. Rios? There, you have a point.

But NOT criticizing others as much as you would like doesn't mean that Juan Pierre isn't in steep decline and a drain on the club.

No, but it seems to me that since Juan is having his characteristic slow start along with the rest of the team, and his errors have been more visible and have led to losses, he's being singled out.

Criticism is one thing, saying the guy is done, washed up and needs to be released (with no viable replacement, mind you) is another.

Dunn's hitting .213 but since he hit a few home runs the last few games, he's alright.

The expectation on what a guy like Pierre needs to do to be deemed not to be "a drain on the club" is steep, considering a player doesn't jack up his OBP to .350 and get back to the top 10 in AL steals overnight, it requires weeks of solid play.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
This has to be a joke, right

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Criticism is one thing, saying the guy is done, washed up and needs to be released (with no viable replacement, mind you) is another.

I agree on the latter. The DFA crowd is silly.

There are several holes on this team. LF is one of them, and it is one which, I believe correctly, people have focused on as being the biggest issue, much of it having to do with the veteran status, age, and salary (that can come off the books) of the guy playing there. They won't be able to fix every position, but of the 2B, 3B, C, CF, and LF problems, I think the last of those is the biggest issue.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:12 AM
This has to be a joke, right

I'd like to think so, but sadly, no.

kaufsox
05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Pierre's OBP may be higher than his average, but both suck right now. He is playing terrible baseball, baserunning, fielding and batting. Not that I should have to say this, but I like Juan. I'm not singling him out, picking on him or anything. He seems like a good guy, talks to my kids when we walk on the field, poses for pictures when he probably shouldn't. Unfortunately, he just isn't playing well and I don't think he's turning it around. Age catches us all. I write this after setting a PR for a half marathon and two very VERY sore Achilles tendons that make me walk worse than my dad. who is 73. I'm going to ice now

Chez
05-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Russ' point about there being "no viable replacement" for Juan is sadly true. Others have mentioned Ramirez or Rios as potential lead-off hitters but Ramierez's OBP is the same as Juan's and Rios' is substantially worse.

I don't think Lilllibridge is an everyday player. Ozzie started him for a stretch at 2B last year when Beckham was in a funk. After a few games, the league figured him out and Lillibeast's numbers plummeted.

Viciedo would give you more pop in left, but he clearly doesn't solve the problem at the top of the order. Pierre is really the only option the organization currently has.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 10:34 AM
May as well give Alexei an extended look at lead-off. It's not like he can be any worse than Pierre and he's at least here next year, too. Juan's likely gone after this season, so if he's not helping us win now and he's not going to be around to help win later, what exactly justifies his PT?

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:41 AM
May as well give Alexei an extended look at lead-off. It's not like he can be any worse than Pierre and he's at least here next year, too. Juan's likely gone after this season, so if he's not helping us win now and he's not going to be around to help win later, what exactly justifies his PT?

The valid question is whether any replacement option right now is better than Pierre. There are really only two options - Viciedo in RF and then moving Carlos to LF, or playing Lillibridge a lot more. Neither exactly screams, "Yes, what a better idea!" except to those who think any change at all is good.

None of this, however, changes the fact that Juan Pierre is awful.

Harry Chappas
05-12-2011, 10:49 AM
The valid question is whether any replacement option right now is better than Pierre. There are really only two options - Viciedo in RF and then moving Carlos to LF, or playing Lillibridge a lot more. Neither exactly screams, "Yes, what a better idea!" except to those who think any change at all is good.

None of this, however, changes the fact that Juan Pierre is awful.

I actually think playing Lillibridge screams "yes, what a better idea!". He's never going to be an all-star, but I think, if given the chance, he could prove to be a decent player. He's still only 27 and actually has some pop (compared to JP). He's hitting around .280 now with an OBP of .368. Why not given him more chances to sink or swim? History suggests he's overachieving but who knows.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
He's still only 27 and actually has some pop (compared to JP). He's hitting around .280 now with an OBP of .368. Why not given him more chances to sink or swim? History suggests he's overachieving but who knows.

Once in a while, a guy can come along and surprise you, I agree, but there is a reason that every MLB team has utility guys, and that AAA is filled with them.

PatK
05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Dunn in Left, Tank at DH

MAKE IT HAPPEN

KMcMahon817
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Also we're ridiculously nitpicking him here on defense as the vast majority of his errors were on balls that were hammered and were difficult to make a clean play on.

IMO, Pierre looks worse since he can get to many more chances on well-hit balls, where a guy like Lillibridge would need to go get the ball after it hits the wall. Which is really the same result if Pierre can't make a catch that most outfielders can't even get to.

I usually agree with your positive outlook on things, but c'mon man. I really like Juan. Coming into this season, he very well could have been my favorite player on the SOX. The dude busts his ass everytime he plays.

But, something happened. We all heard how terrible of a fielder he was when he came over from the Dodgers. But, really...he is very solid last year. And then, poof...he's awful again. I squint everytime a ball is hit to LF, and that is just pathetic for a major league outfielder. I would prefer if Juan spent a little more time on the bench until we find a solid replacement or he figures his **** out.

I am not in the DFA camp, however. He still has above average speed and would be fine in a pinch run/spot start role. I also don't get why WSI makes such a big deal about moving guys around the outfield. Other teams do it all the time. These are major league athletes. Carlos has handled LF before, why couldn't he do it again? He is from a gold glover, but he has been fine in the outfield this season.

salty99
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Pods is available...bring him back!

soxinem1
05-12-2011, 11:38 AM
CLee was never even close to what Juan P. Error has been so far this season in LF.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2011, 11:44 AM
To Juan's credit over the past two weeks he has an OBP of .385, but as others have said his fielding is now something atrocious and he has been caught stealing more than he has been successful, both of these facts would lead me to believe that his legs are gone and that is how he has earned his spot on a major league team for ten years now. I don't think there is a viable solution in left (Quentin and Vicideo would probably be just as bad defensively) and there is no one else who can lead off. I think sadly we are stuck and have to hope that Pierre can some how turn it around.

Crestani
05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Dunn in Left, Tank at DH

MAKE IT HAPPEN

Teal??:scratch:

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Pierre is done. His speed is gone. Thank god his contract is over at year's end.

And let's hope he doesn't get an offer.

I honestly think the Sox would be ok with Dayan up in LF, but then there isn't a real great option for leadoff. Although, whoever it is couldn't do that much worse of a job than Pierre.

Crooked Number
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Russ' point about there being "no viable replacement" for Juan is sadly true. Others have mentioned Ramirez or Rios as potential lead-off hitters but Ramierez's OBP is the same as Juan's and Rios' is substantially worse.

I don't think Lilllibridge is an everyday player. Ozzie started him for a stretch at 2B last year when Beckham was in a funk. After a few games, the league figured him out and Lillibeast's numbers plummeted.

Viciedo would give you more pop in left, but he clearly doesn't solve the problem at the top of the order. Pierre is really the only option the organization currently has.

Reading through this thread, I believe this is what the organization's stance probably is. As frustrating and futile it may be (playing Pierre), the team is handcuffed here.

What i think the team can do, is give Pierre and extended benching. Four, five games in a row, you let Lillibeast start. Give Juan a week to get his mind right. When he comes back, and is still struggling, well, that's just gonna be a bitter pill the '11 Sox are going to have to swallow.

Chez
05-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Juan was signed to be a 2 year stop gap. I think the long term plan was for Jared Mitchell to take over in the outfield (and lead off) after Pierre's contract was up. Mitchell's leg injury has likely spoiled that plan and it's something the Sox will have to address in the off season.

VMSNS
05-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Berstein had some interesting things to say about Pierre on Twitter...

@dan_bernstein
Dan Bernstein
"For those curious last night, Juan Pierre's WAR is - 1.1, dead last in MLB, pitchers included. He is, simply, baseball's worst player."

kittle42
05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
"For those curious last night, Juan Pierre's WAR is - 1.1, dead last in MLB, pitchers included. He is, simply, baseball's worst player."

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2011-value-batting.shtml

A handful of players lower than Pierre, including Maggs and Vernon Wells. I don't think WAR is a great stat for short periods.

None of that changes the fact that Juan Pierre is horrible.

miker
05-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think WAR is a great stat for short periods.

"WAR? What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'..."

TomBradley72
05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
My biggest concern is that hitting slumps can be pretty common- but prolonged "slumps" in base running (42% success rate so far) and fielding (on pace for 15+ errors as a LF) are pretty rare and with a guy like Pierre at age 34 could be an indicator (as others have said) that his legs might be going. I wouldn't be surprised if his batting average returns to the .270's range- but I don't see how the other two areas get corrected.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if his batting average returns to the .270's range- but I don't see how the other two areas get corrected.

Exactly, thus making him fairly useless out there.

Crestani
05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
"WAR? What is it good for? Absolutely nothin'..."

"Say it again"....

wassagstdu
05-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Pods is available...bring him back!

No sure if this is a joke, but I agree 100%. Pods never should have been let go. Right now I am not sure how his skills have held up, but he CANNOT be worse than Pierre. Dunn in LF is also an intriguing idea, but the Sox need a leadoff hitter.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Pods never should have been let go.

Yikes.

doublem23
05-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Yikes.

Seriously.

russ99
05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
No sure if this is a joke, but I agree 100%. Pods never should have been let go. Right now I am not sure how his skills have held up, but he CANNOT be worse than Pierre. Dunn in LF is also an intriguing idea, but the Sox need a leadoff hitter.

Kind of ironic, as these same things being said about Juan now were being said about Pods 4 years ago.

I very much doubt Kenny would even consider this with the budget topped out and team's results so far this year, but Jose Reyes is supposedly on the trade block.

kufram
05-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I am definitely not a Juan Pierre fan but he did do pretty good after a poor start last year with the bat and he does know how to be a lead-off. He had one error in each of the last two years and he fielded more than adequately in left last year and actually made some very good catches. His arm is his arm and he knows how to make the best of it. i.e. he hits the cutoff man. The stolen bases were great last year and worryingly poor so far this year but I don't think he completely lost his legs over one off season and there are things he can try to improve. I like his attitude much more than I thought I would the more I learn about him.

All that said, I would trade him for a better lead-off today if there really was one available. I was a big Pods fan but that ship really did sail very probably. Anyone saying to DFA Pierre or just release him without a viable, proven lead-off hitter is not being realistic in my view.

SO, Juan is the guy we've got. He's a proven, decent major league lead-off hitter and I don't think he will play this badly for the rest of the year. He's contributed to some very bad losses but so did a number of other players. I think he'll be ok. We need to think about what to do next year... is the injured kid (is it Jared Mitchell?) going to be the guy? I don't think TCM is and I don't think anyone else on this team is a lead-off hitter.