PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 'Wonderful Wild West Coast Win' White Sox vs LAAA 5/11 Postgame Thread

soxinem1
05-12-2011, 01:21 AM
All I can say is 'You gotta be bleeping me!!!':bandance:

You need to win games like this to gain confidence. What a play to end it!!!

All the stranded runners and blown scoring opportunities suck but at least we are getting hits.

And welcome back, Jake!! Nice job despite Juan P. Error costing you a run in the first.

Nice job using Thornton as a closer Ozzie, don't ever ****ing do it again!!

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Don't look now, but we've won 4 of our last 5.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Web gem?

GoGoCrede
05-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Beckham totally skipped with excitement at that last play.

soxnut1018
05-12-2011, 01:23 AM
That gets a 9 on the Buehrle meter.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Winning this game could be a springboard to more success. Let's hope so anyway. Talk about snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2011, 01:24 AM
What a kick-ass come from behind win!! Huge!!

And the game thread was the best!! Had a great time tonight, guys! :D:

mbwhitesox
That last play right there almost makes up for the craptacular first 5 weeks of the season. GO SOX! :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
Wait, I thought these guys didn't care?

JermaineDye05
Was that the first time we went 1-2-3 to end a game all season?

Jake looked real good tonight and deserved a win.

He didn't deserve a loss though. Nice to see the offense get their heads out of their asses the last couple of innings.

Back-to-back series wins.

It's a start.

OmahaSoxFan
Whew... what a game, and finally a solid comeback win for the boys!

This game had everything... and ended with PK showing off his best defense!

Big series win against a pretty darn good Angels team!

ChicagoG19
2 series wins in a row! Yes! Hell Yes!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

NDSox12
05-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Nice behind the back pass by Konerko to Thornton for the slam dunk to end it!

Carneyman14
Don't. Stop. Now. Boys.

Keep it up

Keep clawin'

KMcMahon817
**** yes!! Let's sweet Oakland's sorry asses.

spongyfungy
05-12-2011, 01:26 AM
PK had an infield single, a passed ball on an intentional walk, a stolen base, jumps up and grabs a liner and makes an incredible behind the back flip to Thornton to close the game.

Crazy crazy stuff tonight

OmahaSoxFan
How was PK's game ending play, not one of WGN's "Plays of the Game???"

That play is definitely the highlight of the season so far for the Sox!

IronFisk
we WON?

:o:

:bandance:

Zakath
05-12-2011, 01:27 AM
A couple Lillibridge-esque plays from Paulie to save a nice come-from-behind win, helped by a unconscionable wild pitch on an intentional walk.

Nice to see Dunn hopefully starting to come out of the major funk.

15 LOB though is still a big issue.

rookie
Yea Sox! That was a blast, especially Paulie and Thorton laughing about it at the end.

Now I gotta make myself go to bed, but at least I'll have a smile on my face!

PalehosePlanet
Ahhh...that feels good.

Comeback wins late and on the road are the best aren't they?

russ99
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Never see a team win because of a misthrown intentional ball/wild pitch before.

Great defense by Paulie and it was great to see Peavy pitch again.

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2011, 01:28 AM
A couple Lillibridge-esque plays from Paulie to save a nice come-from-behind win, helped by a unconscionable wild pitch on an intentional walk.

Nice to see Dunn hopefully starting to come out of the major funk.

15 LOB though is still a big issue.

I agree but I suppose if you want to find the silver lining there, it would be that at least we are finally getting baserunners!

Baby steps. :tongue:

soxinem1
PK had an infield single, a passed ball on an intentional walk, a stolen base, jumps up and grabs a liner and makes an incredible behind the back flip to Thornton to close the game.

Crazy crazy stuff tonight

Passed ball? Jepsen airmailed it!!:smile:

ChiSoxGal85
Beckham totally skipped with excitement at that last play.
:roflmao: I saw that!!

Wow...just wow. Sometimes, everything goes wrong...and then in the same breath, everything goes right. Way to get it done boys!! LOVE it, love it, love it!!! I had angrily muted the TV after Alexei's interference brain fart and had written this game off as a loss. Glad I stayed up to watch. I don't think I've heard of a winning run scoring on a wild pitch on an intentional walk before.

Winning 3 in a row was awesome. Losing 2 in a row was not going to be awesome. Losing a series really isn't an option any more if the Sox have any sort of prayer.

Forgot to mention: Great job by Peavy, only sorry he doesn't get the win.

Noneck
05-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Interesting game to watch.

Beckham has to sit for awhile, Omar and even Lillibridge have to fill in.

GoGoCrede
Passed ball? Jepsen airmailed it!!:smile:

I couldn't believe my eyes.

JB98
Hopefully that save will get Matt Thornton out of this funk he's been in. A couple of nice defensive plays from Paulie made his life easy tonight. Sometimes, you need to catch a break or two.

We all know Matt is a better pitcher than what he has shown, and he is a big key for this team moving forward.

soxnut1018
Can't remember a crazier game. Maybe that will get this team going.

ZnHmskwqCCQ

manders_01
05-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Awesome. Just so awesome. :bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

samurai_sox
This is one of those games I'll remember years from now, alot of crazy stuff happened to make it memorable.

Frankfan4life
Whoa, Nelly!! That was wild. Totally worth staying up for. I love the come-from-behind win. That last play rivaled the Buerhle play IMO. Fantastic win! WTG Sox!!! Woo Hoo! :bandance:

JermaineDye05
05-12-2011, 01:31 AM
I think Pauly's been watching the Bulls too much.

What a play.

soxinem1
05-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Hopefully that save will get Matt Thornton out of this funk he's been in. A couple of nice defensive plays from Paulie made his life easy tonight. Sometimes, you need to catch a break or two.

We all know Matt is a better pitcher than what he has shown, and he is a big key for this team moving forward.

He is, however not as a closer. He needs to start hammering down the seventh/eighth innings..... and get his slider back!!!

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2011, 01:32 AM
All I know is it's nice to be on the receiving end of one of these games for a change. :smile:

soxinem1
05-12-2011, 01:34 AM
All I know is it's nice to be on the receiving end of one of these games for a change. :smile:

Dadgumright!!

DSpivack
05-12-2011, 01:34 AM
I had the TV on mute, watching The Wire on my computer.

What a game!

I'll be definitely watching the recap on MLB.tv.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Always good to win before a day off on a road trip! Glad I stuck this one out even though they were making me :angry: about 3 times a minute. And keeping hitting, Dunn!

billyvsox
Yea Sox! That was a blast, especially Paulie and Thorton laughing about it at the end.

Now I gotta make myself go to bed, but at least I'll have a smile on my face!

Yes, very nice to see the guys yukking it up, showing emotion, smiling!!!

Thats what winning teams with good chemistry always have...keep it going boys!

PalehosePlanet

You've got that right. And we were all thinking in the gamethread that we were set up for another heartbreaker when we loaded the bases in the 9th w/one out. Nice to see we were wrong.

Thanks you Omar for that two-strike sac fly!

JB98
05-12-2011, 01:36 AM
He is, however not as a closer. He needs to start hammering down the seventh/eighth innings..... and get his slider back!!!

No argument here.

SoxSpeed22
All throughout the slide, I felt like they needed something like this to make sure they don't get into a terrible season. Jake was decent, even if his defense really let him down. If we are to make something of this season, build on this road trip.

JermaineDye05
Jake has sparked the team.

LongLiveFisk
Always good to win before a day off on a road trip! Glad I stuck this one out even though they were making me :angry: about 3 times a minute. And keeping hitting, Dunn!

Yeah we were having a lot of fun with their ineptitude in the game thread. I'll have to go and peruse it again tomorrow. :tongue:

Crooked Number
05-12-2011, 01:40 AM
Was beside myself in disgust throughout the whole game until the 9th.

Alexei with two gidp with men on third, then he gets called for catcher interference (which was the right call) with the game tying runs on second and third in the 8th.

So much to comment on. So much bad baseball. But they figured out how to win this game and the box score says 6-4. Humoungous win. Two road series wins in a row. This one against a first place team. Finally get a day off after a win and have some positive momentum.

I am going to focus on the positives tonight because it's too easy to keep harping on the negative (and too obvious):

-Jake looked solid. I agree with Stoney that it will be his second and third starts until we can really get a good idea what he will be like.

-Santos is all star bound. Guy is still at 0.00.

-Adam Dunn. Continuing the hot hitting. Guy is key to this offense. Protect Paulie.

-A.J. Had a good offensive game. Still cant throw a runner out - wait...stay positive.

-Thornton had the biggest confidence boosting outing of the season. Huge 1 2 3 to end it.

-Captain Pauly ****ing Walnuts with the leather. What more can be said. That was absolutely the most exciting last inning. Consecutive web gems to end it. Great play by both him and Matt, and i loved seeing them smile.

Time for the best starting staff in the AL with the A's. Not going to get any easier.

Jekyll and Hyde Sox are back!

A win is a win. This was the most ridiculous game I have seen in years. Time to get some rest. :gulp:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Wait, now we play bad everywhere BUT the West Coast? Bizarro world.

ChetChat
05-12-2011, 01:43 AM
I almost turned the TV off as I couldn't take yet one more commercial for Angels Jersey night! Love to see Konerko smiling! Hopefully we are now "on a roll!" :bandance:

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2011, 01:43 AM
-A.J. Had a good offensive game. Still cant throw a runner outThere have been several times, tonight included, that the fault was Alexei's for taking the throw four feet in front of the bag and then trying to sweep back. He needs to be further back and take the throw where the runner slides right into it.

Tragg
05-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Boy that's the kind of win we needed.
I was thinking before the 9th inning that we must have the worst scoring yield in baseball....i.e. runs scored per runners on base. We finally cracked through.

Noneck
05-12-2011, 01:51 AM
There have been several times, tonight included, that the fault was Alexei's for taking the throw four feet in front of the bag and then trying to sweep back. He needs to be further back and take the throw where the runner slides right into it.

I would think that would have been corrected after he did it the 1st time tonight but it happened again. I wonder if he was told after the 1st time and if not why not? Surely the man in charge of this team knows what you know, since he was a very good major league SS.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-12-2011, 01:54 AM
I would think that would have been corrected after he did it the 1st time tonight but it happened again. I wonder if he was told after the 1st time and if not why not? Surely the man in charge of this team knows what you know, since he was a very good major league SS.

I'm sure he was by both Ozzie and Omar, but what can they really do? Fine him? Spank him? Alexei has to fix that but either refuses to or can't break the habit.

Crooked Number
05-12-2011, 01:56 AM
There have been several times, tonight included, that the fault was Alexei's for taking the throw four feet in front of the bag and then trying to sweep back. He needs to be further back and take the throw where the runner slides right into it.

I don't know, perhaps maybe the last one he was out of position, but for how many years now has it been "oh he stole that one on the pitcher" and "fielder out of position". Throughout his whole tenure here its been painfully obvious that he is just brutal at this aspect of the game.

So far he has has thrown out three. Twenty five have stolen on him. I don't think you can hide that with excuses. Career he is 232/727. Yikes.

I like when Ramon catches because at least he has a chance.

Noneck
05-12-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm sure he was by both Ozzie and Omar

You forgot Cora and I hope they all did.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't know, perhaps maybe the last one he was out of position, but for how many years now has it been "oh he stole that one on the pitcher" and "fielder out of position". Throughout his whole tenure here its been painfully obvious that he is just brutal at this aspect of the game.

So far he has has thrown out three. Twenty five have stolen on him. I don't think you can hide that with excuses. Career he is 232/727. Yikes.

I like when Ramon catches because at least he has a chance.I didn't say AJ was good at throwing. He was average in his younger days and has clearly declined. I was just saying it's not all his fault, Alexei's positioning is fundamentally wrong. It could be he doesn't like getting slid into, and being in front of the bag pretty much eliminates that on a straight steal.

TDog
05-12-2011, 02:00 AM
A negative take would suggest that the Angels were doing their White Sox impression tonight. A blown save against a seemingly offensively dormant team before allowing the deciding run on an unbelievable, even comical defensive play.

In one sense, there was no way the White Sox should have lost this game. The difference was the two-out RBIs by the Angels, and on at least one of those, the plays should have been made on defense. The White Sox, on the other hand, couldn't get the two out hit, and they got multiple runners on base in each of the first five innings. Even with runners on first and third and one out, Ramirez hit into a double play.

Ramirez had a tough night. The first double play hurt. The second was devastating. When he was called out on interference, although I doubt he intentionally interfered with the catcher, the night seemed hopeless. And yet, he put it behind him, got a hit in the 10th and eventually scored the winning run. He had a tough night in Seattle on this trip before he drove in the the game-winning run with a double.

The Sox got a break with the wild pitch on the intentional walk. As long as I've been watching baseball, I have never seen an extra-inning tie broken on a wild pitch thrown in the execution of an intentional walk. But the Angels still would have been in a deep hole, and Lillibridge came up with a fly ball deep enough to score Dunn.

It was interesting that in the lineup discussion, it was Pierre and Dunn batting first and third that most bothered people. Chatwood had a great night against the right-handers, but against the left-handers, not so much. Maybe Vizquel might have had a better night than Teahen, but Vizquel, as often has been the case with the Sox, was there when they needed him.

A sloppy game, sure, but I just saw the play that ended it, and it was super pretty. A fun game, most definitely, if you're a Sox fan. What is certainly wasn't was a lucky win for a gutless team.

PalehosePlanet
05-12-2011, 02:08 AM

Diasagree 100%. Hawk, and Stone too to a certain extent, have turned into AJ apologists. It's always our pitchers, Alexei, Gordon, etc...that's at fault.

If Alexei waits for the ball on the bag, the throw will arrive later and the runner will be safe regardless. Also, most of the throws are short and to the third base side. If Alexei waits back at the bag he'd have an extremely difficult time catching the ball on the hop, much less be able to bring the glove back down from waist high to make the tag in time.

AJ has a terrible arm. Period. When Cabrera was here he also started jumping in front of the bag to take the throws, after realizing that AJ didn't have the arm strength to get the ball to the bag in time.

Having said that though, I thought Kendrick was definitely out and that the call was blown.

Nellie_Fox
05-12-2011, 02:10 AM
If Alexei waits for the ball on the bag, the throw will arrive later and the runner will be safe regardless. That's crazy. A ball in flight will cover that distance much faster than a man can catch it and then sweep it back.

Foulke You
05-12-2011, 02:10 AM
Alexei's positioning is fundamentally wrong. It could be he doesn't like getting slid into, and being in front of the bag pretty much eliminates that on a straight steal.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Alexei has always been a pretty timid player when it comes to contact. He freaks out at inside pitches and will often cover his head with his arms when sliding or beating out a close play. I guess if I was built like a string bean, I'd be afraid of contact too. :tongue:

PalehosePlanet
05-12-2011, 02:17 AM
That's crazy. A ball in flight will cover that distance much faster than a man can catch it and then sweep it back.

Not if it's going to bounce and force you to go up with the glove to catch it, than back down to tag the runner.

I'll admit that Alexei does get swipe tag happy, but I think he's been conditioned to do this on throws that are consistently short and to the third base side.

I'll pay special attention next time Omar plays SS to see how he handles AJ's throws, but in the end I doubt the results will be different (SB, either way.)

voodoochile
05-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Two series wins in a row? 4 outta 5? Double digit hits and 6 whole runs?

And then the Bullpen shut down the Angels for 4 straight innings?

Who are these guys and what have they done with the White Sox?

:soxwin:

:)

:supernana:

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2011, 02:38 AM
I didn't see the game but was watching it on my phone and was stunned and thrilled to see we won, but it seems to me that this was more of a case of the Angels giving us a win, but I'll take it. I saw where we left 15 on base, hopefully we can start changing that. I hope that this is a sign of good things to come.

guillensdisciple
05-12-2011, 03:27 AM
I'm not sayin.... I'm just sayin....

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-12-2011, 03:30 AM
About time the Sox get a lucky break for a change. Kind of an ugly game considering how many guys were left on base, just happy they pulled through and took advantage at the end. Peavy looked pretty good too. Pitched good enough to lose thanks to Pierre. But I think it's safe to say we can all be happy with 6 innings, lots of strikes, and 4/0 K/BB ratio.

SoxFan1979
05-12-2011, 03:53 AM
4 of 5 thats awesome. Don't stop now boys

doublem23
05-12-2011, 06:33 AM
For everyone bitching about how lifeless and emotionless the Sox have looked at times this season, last night was a nice little burst. Look at Gordon, look at the bench.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=cws&content_id=14727851

8 games to .500. Come on, boys

October26
05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Winning Ugly!! :bandance:

The best part was the ending, of course - loved seeing Paulie's amazing, acrobatic, game ending play; Paulie smiling, Thornton smiling, Beckham skipping, and the entire Sox bench errupting in jubilation. :D:

Zakath
05-12-2011, 07:36 AM
That's crazy. A ball in flight will cover that distance much faster than a man can catch it and then sweep it back.

Hence, Ozzie needs to teach Alexei the physics of baseball.

chisoxfanatic
05-12-2011, 08:50 AM
I went to bed with them trailing and thought that would be the final outcome...I wasn't expecting to see a winning final score, but I'll take it.

Doesn't it seem that trips out west doom this team? Now, it's actually helping this team? This is one crazy year.

SOXSINCE'70
05-12-2011, 08:55 AM
Nice behind the back pass by Konerko to Thornton for the slam dunk to end it!

Derrick Rose and Carlos Boozer could learn from this play.:D:

SOXSINCE'70
05-12-2011, 08:58 AM
4 of 5 thats awesome. Don't stop now boys

And thanks to David Price, the deficit is 9.5 . Baby steps.

:indianslose

miker
05-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I threw in the towel and went to bed after the 7th... :mad:

Nice come back. Nice to see Dunn actually hit something. Nice to see Peavy back on the mound.

Let's keep it going.

Irishsoxfan
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
I got up for work & tuned in from the top of the 9th - good timing and good times!

rdwj
05-12-2011, 09:16 AM
I went to bed with them trailing and thought that would be the final outcome...I wasn't expecting to see a winning final score, but I'll take it.

Me too :(:

Chez
05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Anyone hear or read anything further about Teahen's status? Farmer said he left the game with a strained oblique.

soltrain21
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
They are 1-0 when I'm in the Cayman Islands. Better stay.

tstrike2000
05-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Dunn, AJ, Vizquel, and Paulie. All four of those guys are co-players of the game. Nice to see the vets step in and save that game.

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Wait, I thought these guys didn't care?

Thank you. All you "lack of heart" ridiculous people come enlighten us with what made the team show "passion."

FielderJones
05-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Due to severe congestion and sleep deprivation the night before, I only lasted until 11:00. Checked the game thread this morning and what a hoot. It's amazing how stupid Scioscia became and how smart Ozzie and Walker became in the 9th and 10th innings. :tongue:

asindc
05-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Due to severe congestion and sleep deprivation the night before, I only lasted until 11:00. Checked the game thread this morning and what a hoot. It's amazing how stupid Scioscia became and how smart Ozzie and Walker became in the 9th and 10th innings. :tongue:

Speaking of Scoiscia being so much smarter than Ozzie, check out this blurb on LAAAAAA's catching platoon:

http://www.platoonadvantage.com/2011/05/al-power-rankings-comments-explained.html#more

palehozenychicty
05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Speaking of Scoiscia being so much smarter than Ozzie, check out this blurb on LAAAAAA's catching platoon:

http://www.platoonadvantage.com/2011/05/al-power-rankings-comments-explained.html#more

I'm not that surprised, since Scioscia was forever loyal to Napoli and Mathis.

FielderJones
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not that surprised, since Scioscia was forever loyal to Napoli and Mathis.

Stupid loyalty is only a White Sox trait.

tstrike2000
05-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Compared to what we have, I still like Scioscia as a manager. :shrug:

#1swisher
05-12-2011, 12:17 PM
For everyone bitching about how lifeless and emotionless the Sox have looked at times this season, last night was a nice little burst. Look at Gordon, look at the bench.

That play was unbelievable! :bandance:

The dvr stopped recording at midnight :angry:
Thanks d23 for posting that vid.

:)

#1swisher
05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I didn't see this posted.

Omar Vizquel came into the game because Mark Teahen has a mild strain of his right oblique.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_05_11_chamlb_anamlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=cws

chisoxfanatic
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM

I just got a chance to watch that...Man, that might just be the play of the year! It isn't quite Buehrleesque, but it's pretty close!

thomas35forever
05-12-2011, 02:32 PM
I was at the bar at the end of the game last night and only half paying attention to the TV. I know we won, but I'm just finding out now what it took to earn the W. Wow is all I have to say.

kufram
05-12-2011, 02:40 PM
That was a two-man play, you know. PK made a very nifty flip to be sure, but Thornton didn't know he was going to do that and yet made the grab very close to his body... actually, much like PK did on the Buehrle flip.

I was

soltrain21
05-12-2011, 03:16 PM
I just got a chance to watch that...Man, that might just be the play of the year! It isn't quite Buehrleesque, but it's pretty close!

Sam Fuld's catch is still the absolute play of the year.

Noneck
05-12-2011, 03:19 PM

It may have been but this one has the pizzazz to get an award.

Kilroy
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Don't. Stop. Now. Boys.

Please do not use the rally kill phrase.

voodoochile
05-12-2011, 04:03 PM

There were several very impressive plays yesterday actually.

Hitmen77
05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I missed the end of the game due to its lateness and I was please to find out about the comeback on WSI this morning.

I hope Peavy is fully back and all the "bumps in the road" are over regarding his comeback.

Compared to what we have, I still like Scioscia as a manager. :shrug:

Hey, we've won 4 of 5. All naysaying about Ozzie has been debunked.

I'm glad to see this team showing some life, but IMO I didn't jump off the Ozzie bandwagon in one week just because I "hate" him or because of one isolated funk and likewise, the "I told you so"s at this point are a bit premature.

ChiSoxGirl
05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I went to bed after the top of the 8th. Imagine my surprise when I turned on the radio after waking up this morning and heard the Sox had won 6-4! I literally did this: :o:. With that said, I approve of late/extra-inning, come-from-behind victories! :bandance:

ShooterMcGavin
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Konerko, take a bow. Thanks for the awesome defensive highlight.

A. Cavatica
05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey, we've won 4 of 5. All naysaying about Ozzie has been debunked.

Really? Winning four out of five erases five years of bad managing?

It's poor form to call for the manager to be fired after a win, but he's done nothing to change my opinion.

Hitmen77
05-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Really? Winning four out of five erases five years of bad managing?

It's poor form to call for the manager to be fired after a win, but he's done nothing to change my opinion.

That was supposed to be in teal.

FielderJones
05-13-2011, 12:41 AM
That was supposed to be in teal.

Newsflash - there is no such thing as implied teal. No matter how ridiculous you think your statement is, there is someone who will take it seriously. Teal is here because we can't look at your face for cues that imply sarcasm.