05-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I still could see it happening.

Albeit, as a remote possibility.

WhiteSox56
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Hell, who else is gonna win the division? The Tribe?:redneck

ChicagoG19
05-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Considering the Tribe and Royals sit atop the division, the Sox still have a good shot. They just need that one big run.

SOXSINCE'70
05-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Considering the Tribe and Royals sit atop the division, the Sox still have a good shot. They just need that one big run.

Like the one the Tiggers are on now.

Dan H
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Mod Edit: please quit spamming this site with these links

Still thinks Sox win 2011 AL Central Division title

He always thinks that.

I am happy that they have won two series on the road. That is a good sign. But I will save my true optimism when the team wins its way back to .500. That is still going to take awhile. But the bleeding has stopped, at least for now.

TommyGavinFloyd
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
He always thinks that.

I am happy that they have won two series on the road. That is a good sign. But I will save my true optimism when the team wins its way back to .500. That is still going to take awhile. But the bleeding has stopped, at least for now.

It could take until July; it could take a week. There's still what, 120 something games left? There's no excuse for the hole they have put themselves in but look at the division. If the Sox can actually keep playing well, they will get themselves back into it. I think they will be able to get back into it, but nothing is guaranteed.

WhiteSox5187
05-12-2011, 03:48 PM
As infuriatingly as we have played at times the good news for the Sox is that there is a lot of time left in the season and I really don't think anyone is going to run away with the division and hide.

captain54
05-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't know if Hawk drinks, but I would bet anything that if you sat down and had a cocktail with him you would hear out of his mouth that the Sox suck and they aren't going anywhere..

You can hear the disgust in his voice and the long silences are telling...What's do you think he's gonna say on the air? That the team blows? He's paid to announce but he's also paid to put butts in the seats at the Cell

Let's face it...I don't mean to be a debbie downer but this team is loaded with inconsistent, fundamentally challenged, underachievers..Are the other teams in the Central equally as challenged?...Yes, of course.. But let's say by some miracle the Sox win the Central, how far you honestly believe they would go beyond that?

voodoochile
05-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Voodoo won't either...

:gosox:

asindc
05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't know if Hawk drinks, but I would bet anything that if you sat down and had a cocktail with him you would hear out of his mouth that the Sox suck and they aren't going anywhere..

You can hear the disgust in his voice and the long silences are telling...What's do you think he's gonna say on the air? That the team blows? He's paid to announce but he's also paid to put butts in the seats at the Cell

Let's face it...I don't mean to be a debbie downer but this team is loaded with inconsistent, fundamentally challenged, underachievers..Are the other teams in the Central equally as challenged?...Yes, of course.. But let's say by some miracle the Sox win the Central, how far you honestly believe they would go beyond that?

What would be wrong with that? Honestly, with our pitching staff, I like our chances in any playoff series against any team.

Nelfox02
05-12-2011, 05:03 PM

Tell you what, I will worry about that when we preview our ALDS opponent.......

Just get there, and you never know. I see your point, and we all know there are ton of issues with this team.......but stranger things have happened.

I ll take playoff baseball with long odds of going all the way vs no playoff baseball any day.

LongLiveFisk
05-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Hey, I didn't wait out a long cold winter dreaming of baseball only to throw in the towel one month (and a half) into the season. Yes, they have been a disappointment overall but this is indeed a marathon and not a sprint. A lot of baseball left to play, folks.

cards press box
05-12-2011, 06:36 PM

I disagree. Hawk thinks that the Sox have more talent than a 15-23 team and they do. The Sox still have one of the better starting staffs in the league. It's true that Danks has gotten off to a slow start but we all know that he is better than this and is probably the Sox best pitcher.

Sorry, I agree with Hawk.

But let's say that some miracle the Sox win the Central, how far you honestly believe they would go beyond that?

If the Sox win the division, then they would have ironed out all of the problems that have plagued the club so far. It would probably mean that: (i) the starting pitching stabilizes, (ii) Santos flourishes as the closer, (iii) the rest of the bullpen falls into place, (iv) Brent Morel has establishes himself at 3B (and strengthens the defense) and moves into the #2 spot in the Sox batting order, (v) Dayan Viciedo hits .320 to .330 at Charlotte with power, is called up and becomes the Sox every day RF with Carlos Quentin moving to LF and Juan Pierre becoming a fourth outfielder (or moved) and (vi) Gordon Beckham plays like he did in the second half of last season.

All of those things can certainly happen. Some of them are happening right now. And if the Sox gel and make the playoffs, their starting pitching and closer could make them a dangerous team in October. I don't buy the "one and done" stuff at all.

fram40
05-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Voodoo won't either...

me neither.

I still have ten games left on my Ozzie plan and I think they'll win all ten.

soxfanreggie
05-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Voodoo won't either...

I second that! One of the top things I have missed is attending Sox games. In three weeks, that will all change. Hopefully, I come back and the first game I attend is the start or part of a nice double-digit game winning streak!

Railsplitter
05-13-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm not talking contender for a team under .500

Rohan
05-13-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm all in (mentally anyway).

rcescato
05-13-2011, 10:15 AM

Last year at on this date we were 8 games back and in 3rd place. GO SOX!!

Dan H
05-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Last year at on this date we were 8 games back and in 3rd place. GO SOX!!

And the White Sox finished out of the playoffs in 2010.

There is no reason to give up for either team or fans. But the White Sox have done themselves no favor with this awful start. Any future slumps this year have to be short ones. They already had their long one.

Zisk77
05-13-2011, 11:42 AM

i don't think even need that. Just keep winning series and they will be fine. Net gain a game a week and we will win going away.

downstairs
05-13-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm frustrated, and can barely watch the team... but to stop believing they can win the division this early in the season... with two supposed basement dwellers sitting atop the standings is silly.

Yes, they can win the AL Central.

voodoochile
05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
If you believe that KC and CLE are the teams to beat than yes the road ahead is very difficult (though not impossible to navigate). If you believe that MIN and DET are the actual teams to beat in the division and will eventually rise up and make a run at the division title then the Sox are already in second and only 5.5 out of first...:D:

JermaineDye05
05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
If you believe that KC and CLE are the teams to beat than yes the road ahead is very difficult (though not impossible to navigate). If you believe that MIN and DET are the actual teams to beat in the division and will eventually rise up and make a run at the division title then the Sox are already in second and only 5.5 out of first...:D:

I'm actually of the belief that both the Indians and Royals have performed some sort of body switch with the White Sox and Tigers a la Captain Ginyu:

Hg5sUgwApZs

Yes, that's a DBZ reference. Call me a nerd or whatever you feel more comfortable with.

palehozenychicty
05-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Still a shot, although Detroit is looking good right now. That Verlander is really bringing it this year.

NLaloosh
05-13-2011, 04:58 PM
I feel MORE confident about this team winning the division now than I did before the season started.

1. If Minnesota doesn't get healthy real fast - like by mid-June - they will be done.

2. K.C. is in a rebuilding phase and they will be trading veterans even if they are at .500 in July. They are not going for it this year.

3. Detroit just doesn't have enough - especially on offense. It looks like Ordonez is done. They have Cabrera and Martinez. Two good hitters. That's it. the bullpen is not good. The only way that they have a chance is if the back end of the rotation - Coke, Penny and Porcello pitch well all year. That's doubtful.

4. Cleveland could be the team to beat if they stay hot for a while longer and increase their lead. They have really been playing over their heads and it won't continue. Still, if they can do it for another month and a half ownership might be willing to add re-inforcements if no one else wants to win the AL Central.

5. If the Sox can get themselves to .500 by mid-June then I think they will take this division. They are the most talented and the most healthy and this division is weak. It would be inexplicable for them not to win.