PDA

View Full Version : Worst 7th Inning Song played at a MLB park

Fenway
05-11-2011, 06:03 PM
Besides the Guest Conductor at Wrigley - what is the worst 7th Inning Song played at a MLB park?

TORONTO
qag6w_Tp50A

BALTIMORE
_FOWNc8oc50

BRONX
OVEvCwgClZg

and no you can not include Sweet Caroline at Fenway - that is in the 8th:tongue:

Bf3vIH0gDGI

DSpivack
05-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Sweet Caroline.

Fenway
05-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Sweet Caroline.

8th inning :tongue:

DSpivack
05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
8th inning :tongue:

It's still worse than the others. :redneck

Fenway
05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
It's still worse than the others. :redneck

Oh come on.....Cotton Eye Joe???

TDog
05-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I think Texas began playing Thank God I'm a Country Boy when Billy Martin was manager because Billy Martin liked the song. I would have thought it would have made people run from the park screaming if it hadn't been Texas. It's hard for me to believe other fan bases would tolerate it.

I was always partial to an extended piece by Nancy Faust after Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Playing recorded songs seems to cheapen the experience, a game soundtrack being generated spontaneously by someone watching the game, just as the fans are. I always found something organic (the pun being accidental) in live organ music being the soundrack at the ballpark, a niche music genre for a diverse multigenerational crowd with diverse musical tastes.

The Beer Barrel Polka in Milwaukee is probably the best of the recorded pieces, if they haven't gone back to the love organ. I think they play the Frankie Yankovic instrumental version. Of the songs in the original post, Neil Diamond is the least offensive tradition.

DSpivack
05-11-2011, 07:18 PM
I think Texas began playing Thank God I'm a Country Boy when Billy Martin was manager because Billy Martin liked the song. I would have thought it would have made people run from the park screaming if it hadn't been Texas. It's hard for me to believe other fan bases would tolerate it.

I was always partial to an extended piece by Nancy Faust after Take Me Out to the Ballgame. Playing recorded songs seems to cheapen the experience, a game soundtrack being generated spontaneously by someone watching the game, just as the fans are. I always found something organic (the pun being accidental) in live organ music being the soundrack at the ballpark, a niche music genre for a diverse multigenerational crowd with diverse musical tastes.

The Beer Barrel Polka in Milwaukee is probably the best of the recorded pieces, if they haven't gone back to the love organ. I think they play the Frankie Yankovic instrumental version. Of the songs in the original post, Neil Diamond is the least offensive tradition.

I've heard the Orioles tradition is that they played it once during towards the end of Ripken's streak, and proceeded to go on a winning streak and it stuck. Baltimore also has an Appalachian heritage to it, maybe that helps, I don't know.

The dancing groundskeepers at Yankee Stadium is probably the cheesiest and one of the most lame 'traditions' in baseball.

Fenway
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I've heard the Orioles tradition is that they played it once during towards the end of Ripken's streak, and proceeded to go on a winning streak and it stuck. Baltimore also has an Appalachian heritage to it, maybe that helps, I don't know.

The dancing groundskeepers at Yankee Stadium is probably the cheesiest and one of the most lame 'traditions' in baseball.

No it goes back to 1975

http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=2189

Memorial Stadium was insane in the 70's
cVoSYXQ1EEM

DSpivack
05-11-2011, 07:33 PM
No it goes back to 1975

cVoSYXQ1EEM

Even my Oriole fan friend got that one wrong. :tongue:

Bobby Thigpen
05-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Thank God I'm a Country Boy and Cotton Eyed Joe are masterpieces of music compared to that Blue Jay song.

bnlfanmatt
05-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Are we really sure that they play that song during Blue Jays games? It just seems way too amateurish. I think I could do better!

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Are we really sure that they play that song during Blue Jays games? It just seems way too amateurish. I think I could do better!
They do. I know from personal experience. And, Jay Force (their equivalent of our Chevy Pride Crew) gets up on the dugouts and leads the crowd in stretchy dances.

Then, before the 9th inning, the PA announcer gets all loud and reminds the crowd to "GET UP AND CHEER FOR CIVIC PRIDE, BECAUSE...WE ARE...TORONTO!" (while a graphic that says those exact words on the jumbotron).

I can't decide which is worse. Jays games don't feel very major leagueish to me.

Bobby Thigpen
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Is there any more proof needed that they may play that song in Toronto than the Cubs playing "Go Cubs Go!"?

Bobby Thigpen
05-11-2011, 09:42 PM
No it goes back to 1975

cVoSYXQ1EEM
That's a great video. Not a lot of people like that around these days.

Fenway
05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
I am at Rogers - they played it and Jays explode in the 7th and lead Best Team Evah 9-3

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I am at Rogers - they played it and Jays explode in the 7th and lead Best Team Evah 9-3
Hold your hat, though, because the best is about to come!!!

"Get up, Jays fans! It's time to show off your civic pride!!! Because...WE...ARE...TORONTO!!!"

Fenway
05-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Hold your hat, though, because the best is about to come!!!

"Get up, Jays fans! It's time to show off your civic pride!!! Because...WE...ARE...TORONTO!!!"

Aye yi yi that was BAD

Fenway
05-12-2011, 12:48 AM
That's a great video. Not a lot of people like that around these days.

Batimore was Boston's biggest rival for may years...Memorial Stadium was a fun place - I miss the the rivalry

Fenway
05-12-2011, 08:05 AM

d8EUa9hxDaQ
ikPIPVySsxw

Ex-Chicagoan
05-12-2011, 10:14 AM
I always liked the Blue Jays song. Cheesy, but harmless.

I still have bad flashbacks of seeing John Denver standing on top of the dugout performing "TGIACB" live at the '83 Series.

34 Inch Stick
05-12-2011, 10:24 AM
God Bless America in the 7th inning of Sunday games across MLB.

Fenway
05-12-2011, 10:34 AM

You won't believe how BAD this is
zc8ADxc_0po

I almost threw up when he showed up at a high school hockey game
fy0zdqkju9U

kittle42
05-12-2011, 10:42 AM

I was going to post the same thing. Worst 7th inning song, by far. Cotton Eyed Joe and Sweet Caroline are grammy-award winning masterpieces in comparison.

PatK
05-12-2011, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't say it was the worst, but it was the most comical I've experienced.

"Deep in the Heart of Texas" at a Houston Astros game I went to years ago.

7th inning stretch came and they played "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and nobody in the crowd really did anything.

Then they played "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and the place went absolutely berserk. Eveyone was hooting and hollering and going nuts.

eriqjaffe
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
if they haven't gone back to the love organ.:rolling:

Fenway
05-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't say it was the worst, but it was the most comical I've experienced.

7th inning stretch came and they played "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and nobody in the crowd really did anything.

Then they played "Deep in the Heart of Texas" and the place went absolutely berserk. Eveyone was hooting and hollering and going nuts.

They do it in Arlington as well

nwpzJfh36AU

Railsplitter
05-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Bobby Thigpen
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one.
Count me in as well.

Really dislike forced patriotism.

C-Dawg
05-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Count me in as well.

Really dislike forced patriotism.

Yeah, I could go either way with God Bless America. If I'm at my seat, I'll go ahead and stand, but if I'm on my way to get a drink or to use the facility I'm not stopping or removing my hat. As Ed Farmer says, that's for Anthems only.

Fenway
05-14-2011, 05:54 PM
I always liked the Blue Jays song. Cheesy, but harmless.

I still have bad flashbacks of seeing John Denver standing on top of the dugout performing "TGIACB" live at the '83 Series.

Speaking of John Denver - is that him at 1:36 of this old sign on for WGBH?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKFZKxTwjE&feature=related

DSpivack
05-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I could go either way with God Bless America. If I'm at my seat, I'll go ahead and stand, but if I'm on my way to get a drink or to use the facility I'm not stopping or removing my hat. As Ed Farmer says, that's for Anthems only.

Don't go to Yankee Stadium, then. You might get kicked out.

PKalltheway
05-14-2011, 08:55 PM

They also play "Deep in the Heart of Texas" at their Spring Training facility in Kissimmee, Florida during the 7th inning. Pretty much the same kind of reaction you just mentioned. :scratch: