PDA

View Full Version : Gene Honda And His (Non-Existent) Championship Ring

Marqhead
05-11-2011, 04:06 PM
So I found out an interesting fact the other night that I was not aware of, maybe some of our resident experts can shed some light on this.

My Aunt met Gene Honda out at some event a few weeks back, and she was able to get a picture with him, and one of his Blackhawks Championship ring. Apparently she asked about his White Sox ring and found out that he wasn't given one, and apparently he's pretty peeved about it. Didn't the Sox give out rings to just about every single person involved with the team? Didn't they dish out some crazy number of rings overall? Why wouldn't they give one to Gene Honda who's been a staple of the Sox for years?

Chrisaway
05-11-2011, 04:11 PM
That's odd. Even some of the merch guys at Sox Fest have rings. Gene should have definitely got a ring.

Marqhead
05-11-2011, 04:14 PM
I just found this old thread that I missed in my first search go around. Seems like a lot of people were confused about it 5 years ago!

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-71950.html

wassagstdu
05-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Did Nancy Faust get a ring?

Irishsox1
05-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Anyone know how Gene developed that unique deep voice?....I'll give you a clue, you can't do it anymore in bars, within 15 feet of office buildings or at the ballpark.

downstairs
05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Anyone know how Gene developed that unique deep voice?....I'll give you a clue, you can't do it anymore in bars, within 15 feet of office buildings or at the ballpark.

I don't think smoking lowers your voice. It can make it wheezy and raspy over many years.

I've smoked for about 10 years, and my voice hasn't changed.

manders_01
05-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I don't know why he didn't but I do know that the front office women received a very nice necklace of the Sox logo for their championship "ring". So I am aware that many staffers received something. Very odd he didn't get a ring.

bridgeportcopper
05-11-2011, 06:00 PM
And I know the grounds crew guys who are part-time got very nice championship watches.....I know this because we did a search warrant on his house and I saw it first hand!

Jim Shorts
05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
If this is true, there has to be a reason behind it. Just consider how loyal and charitable JR has been his whole tenure.

Regardless of the reason, it's bush league.

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2011, 06:28 PM
I don't know why he didn't but I do know that the front office women received a very nice necklace of the Sox logo for their championship "ring". So I am aware that many staffers received something. Very odd he didn't get a ring.
I really hope they were given the choice of having a necklace or an actual championship ring. I definitely would want the ring!

BainesHOF
05-11-2011, 07:42 PM
The 400-plus rings clearly went to many people who weren't full-time employees. I was dumbfounded when I heard from a great source that Honda didn't receive one.

Brian26
05-11-2011, 07:46 PM
I think we've seen Gene on WTTW since the World Series wearing a Sox championship ring, several times. :scratch:

chisoxfan4life
05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
I ran in to Gene one time outside the stadium before a game as he was catching a smoke. I had always been a huge fan of him until I met him. I simply went up to him and said hello, asked him about a small role he had in The Dilema and said I like seeing him represent the Sox at the many different sporting events he does work for. His response was basically this: "I don't give a **** about the White Sox, I only care about the paycheck"

So maybe he's just a huge doucher and the Sox keep him around solely for his voice and for the fan's experience. Could explain why he wasn't given a ring if that is indeed the case.

chisox12
05-11-2011, 08:57 PM
I ran in to Gene one time outside the stadium before a game as he was catching a smoke. I had always been a huge fan of him until I met him. I simply went up to him and said hello, asked him about a small role he had in The Dilema and said I like seeing him represent the Sox at the many different sporting events he does work for. His response was basically this: "I don't give a **** about the White Sox, I only care about the paycheck"

So maybe he's just a huge doucher and the Sox keep him around solely for his voice and for the fan's experience. Could explain why he wasn't given a ring if that is indeed the case.

That was his response???

I talked to Gene before at a Blackhawks road watch party and he had nothing but good things to say about the Sox and the Hawks.

DonnieDarko
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM

:dtroll:

Or he could have just been having a bad day? You ever consider that? :P

Viva Medias B's
05-11-2011, 09:00 PM

Are you sure Gene wasn't being tounge-in-cheek? I doubt that those of us who have partied with Gene at SoxFest don't get that impression of him.

Noneck
05-11-2011, 09:03 PM
His response was basically this: "I don't give a **** about the White Sox, I only care about the paycheck"

I am sure that holds true for other Sox employees and also that way for a lot of employees of any company. The problem isnt feeling that way, its saying it to the public.

Sox35th
05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Back in 2008 I saw Gene at the Westend bar and he had the WS ring on.....I was with 3 of my friends and we ask Gene if we could take a pic of the ring.

He stated it wasn't the WS ring and walked away....but trust me it was the WS ring!!

I'm guessing he didn't want everyone in the bar to know he had a WS ring on....who knows?

Brian26
05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm guessing he didn't want everyone in the bar to know he had a WS ring on....who knows?

The story gets more messed up as time goes on, but it seems there is a possibility that he doesn't want people to know he has a World Series ring so he's fabricated a story that he never received one.

Basically, who cares.

chisoxfan4life
05-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Are you sure Gene wasn't being tounge-in-cheek? I doubt that those of us who have partied with Gene at SoxFest don't get that impression of him.

As someone else said, maybe he was having a bad day and/or didn't want to be bothered. His comments sure didn't seem tounge-in-cheek to me. His comment came after talking about being in the movie that was just filmed in Chicago, announcing final fours, the Chicago Marathon, etc. Said he just takes all these jobs to collect the paychecks and has no allegiance to the Sox, the marathon, the NCAA, etc.

There's nothing wrong with that, but it was a little disappointing since his voice has always been associated with White Sox baseball for me.

LoveYourSuit
05-11-2011, 09:38 PM
I am sure that holds true for other Sox employees and also that way for a lot of employees of any company. The problem isnt feeling that way, its saying it to the public.

From the parking lot ticket takers, to the ushers, to the concession people, the Sox have no eye for hiring custmer service friendly people.

Noneck
05-11-2011, 09:41 PM
From the parking lot ticket takers, to the ushers, to the concession people, the Sox have no eye for hiring custmer service friendly people.

Wonder why no one likes their job?

Daver
05-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Wonder why no one likes their job?

Have you ever met a blacksmith that loves his anvil?

Noneck
05-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Have you ever met a blacksmith that loves his anvil?

Cant say that I have.

BainesHOF
05-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Anvil rocks!

thomas35forever
05-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I think we've seen Gene on WTTW since the World Series wearing a Sox championship ring, several times. :scratch:
I could have sworn I've seen that too. Maybe it was a loan if it wasn't his? Considering how liberal the Sox were on giving out rings, I have a hard time believing he didn't get one.

On another note, I love how this thread has turned into one about no one in the organization likes their jobs.

soxinem1
05-11-2011, 11:45 PM
That was his response???

I talked to Gene before at a Blackhawks road watch party and he had nothing but good things to say about the Sox and the Hawks.

That's news to me. Whenever I've talked to him he always stated he liked working for the White Sox, and gets a kick out of the fact that the fans like his intros so much.

But if he doesn't have a ring it is bogus and BS.

patbooyah
05-12-2011, 06:13 AM
As someone who works with Gene I can tell you that he definitely didn't get a World Series ring from the White Sox. That said, he's not a whiner and he doesn't complain about it. He DEFINITELY cares about the White Sox and enjoys working for the team.

He has a very dry sense of humor that some people might not understand his jokes, but Gene is a big Sox fan and a great guy.

Also, the "championship" ring people have seen Gene wearing is most likely his 2003 All Star Game ring that the team distributed.

Soxfest
05-12-2011, 08:36 AM
If true it is wrong to snub Honda

Marqhead
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
As someone who works with Gene I can tell you that he definitely didn't get a World Series ring from the White Sox. That said, he's not a whiner and he doesn't complain about it. He DEFINITELY cares about the White Sox and enjoys working for the team.

He has a very dry sense of humor that some people might not understand his jokes, but Gene is a big Sox fan and a great guy.

Also, the "championship" ring people have seen Gene wearing is most likely his 2003 All Star Game ring that the team distributed.

Thanks for the clarification, I found it odd but I'm sure there was a a process to determine who got rings, just surprised he wasn't one of them.

Jerko
05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Maybe he's wearing a replica.

salty99
05-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Maybe he also has the Hawks championship puck too...hmmmmm.

ewokpelts
05-12-2011, 01:10 PM
I really hope they were given the choice of having a necklace or an actual championship ring. I definitely would want the ring!
staffers were given items for themselves as well as thier signifigant others. So I imagine the receptionists, who are both married(you tend to hear things while you're waiting in reception), got rings to give thier husbands.

miker
05-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Gene Honda doesn't need a ring...he's to Public Address announcers what Chuck Norris is to justice.

ewokpelts
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
The story gets more messed up as time goes on, but it seems there is a possibility that he doesn't want people to know he has a World Series ring so he's fabricated a story that he never received one.

Basically, who cares.I've seen some staffers be very liberal with thier rings. i saw one just HAND it over to a clinets to show off for a bit.

artwestland
05-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Did Nancy Faust get a ring?

Yes. There's a picture of her wearing it on page 81 of the September 30 issue of Time Out Chicago.

Here are some pictures of Nancy wearing the ring. (These are not from the magazine.)

Fenway
05-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I can tell you that Gene contacted Carl Beane the Red Sox PA announcer and asked if he got a ring....the answer is yes he did.

The Red Sox even gave the people who worked for NESN rings ( mine is in a safety desposit box )

soxfanreggie
05-13-2011, 11:55 PM
I can tell you that Gene contacted Carl Beane the Red Sox PA announcer and asked if he got a ring....the answer is yes he did.

The Red Sox even gave the people who worked for NESN rings ( mine is in a safety desposit box )

I'm hopefully going to get a conference championship ring for the college team I work with. I might try and have a duplicate made so I can wear one and keep the other safe (unless we win again soon).

Would I have had a ring for Gene, yes...especially after seeing all the people who got them. I'm glad he did get one from the Hawks though.

Lamp81
05-14-2011, 12:13 AM
If he is so un-happy with his treatment by the White Sox, I am surprised he didn't make a move for the Cubs job. Of course, he might have, and the Cubs wanted a different voice.

doublem23
05-14-2011, 12:31 AM
If he is so un-happy with his treatment by the White Sox, I am surprised he didn't make a move for the Cubs job. Of course, he might have, and the Cubs wanted a different voice.

The general motif of this thread seems to be that Gene's actually happy with the Sox and just likes yanking people's chains.

NardiWasHere
05-14-2011, 01:22 AM

One time I saw Gene outside the ballpark too. I told him I was a fan. He didn't respond. I thought he didn't hear me so I told him again. He looked at me and put his cigarette out on my face and said "I'm a fan of your mom." Then he muttered something about "Jigsaw" from the Saw movies having some good ideas despite being "misunderstood." Before I could ask him what he meant he starting kicking some kittens that walked by us.

Weird.

chisoxfan4life
05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
One time I saw Gene outside the ballpark too. I told him I was a fan. He didn't respond. I thought he didn't hear me so I told him again. He looked at me and put his cigarette out on my face and said "I'm a fan of your mom." Then he muttered something about "Jigsaw" from the Saw movies having some good ideas despite being "misunderstood." Before I could ask him what he meant he starting kicking some kittens that walked by us.

Weird.

Good one? I was simply stating what happened when I ran in to him and offering a potential (albeit unlikely) solution as to why he doesn't have a ring. Could be viewed more as a part time or "outsider" since the Sox are one of many places he does work while the other people that got rings have careers entirely comprised of employment with the White Sox.

soxinem1
05-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Good one? I was simply stating what happened when I ran in to him and offering a potential (albeit unlikely) solution as to why he doesn't have a ring. Could be viewed more as a part time or "outsider" since the Sox are one of many places he does work while the other people that got rings have careers entirely comprised of employment with the White Sox.

The team gave minor-league coaches and employees rings.

The question is, did Gene get one or not, and if not, why?

Maybe this should be asked of JR and KW at SoxFest 2012.

Marqhead
05-16-2011, 04:45 PM
The team gave minor-league coaches and employees rings.

The question is, did Gene get one or not, and if not, why?

Maybe this should be asked of JR and KW at SoxFest 2012.

Or at the next exclusive media sit down.

Get on it Lip!

Lip Man 1
05-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Marq:

I'll take it under advisement! :D:

Seriously Gene might be a good interview, never thought about him before. Hmmmmm...

Lip

Lamp81
05-16-2011, 11:04 PM
If they considered Honda a part time employee, what did they think of Brian Anderson?

He got a ring, rode in the parade, and was behind Reinsdorf on the Stand, when Konerko gave him the ball. He was nothing more than a September call-up, who wasn't on the post-season roster, and was treated like Garland or Crede, after the Victory.